VA VA - Ralph Leon Jackson, Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter, 4 May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a recent blog piece about investigative genetic genealogy:

Social Issues at ASHG: Invited Session on “DNA in the Public Sphere”

If the concerned groups and members of the US public read my posts it is my opinion that CeCe Moore has already wrongly accused a number of innocent people through her work with ParaBon Labs including Mr Talbott in Washington State where there was a wrongful conviction and the FBI are aware of this fact:

Engaging with Attendees

CeCe Moore opened the discussion by outlining facts and myths about her work as an investigative genetic genealogist, and expressed concerns that changes in public databases’ policies requiring users to opt in to searches will make it more difficult to both accurately identify likely suspects and avoid unfairly targeting innocent, uninvolved persons. Amy McGuire spoke about how general mistrust of government shapes perceptions of using genetic databases, and noted that current policy provides no oversight for bad actors and violations of public trust. Kate Spradley discussed the challenges of identifying postmortem human remains found near the border given their varied nationalities, and emphasized that international collaboration and transnational agreements on the use of genetic data would be immensely helpful to her work. Jennifer Wagner concluded by walking the audience through legal precedents surrounding the use of DNA outside of research, and emphasized the lengthy process involved in enacting new regulations or law.

If the concerned groups and members of the US public read my posts it is my opinion that CeCe Moore has already wrongly accused a number of innocent people through her work with ParaBon Labs including Mr Talbott in Washington State where there was a wrongful conviction and the FBI are aware of this fact:

Engaging with Attendees

CeCe Moore opened the discussion by outlining facts and myths about her work as an investigative genetic genealogist, and expressed concerns that changes in public databases’ policies requiring users to opt in to searches will make it more difficult to both accurately identify likely suspects and avoid unfairly targeting innocent, uninvolved persons. Amy McGuire spoke about how general mistrust of government shapes perceptions of using genetic databases, and noted that current policy provides no oversight for bad actors and violations of public trust. Kate Spradley discussed the challenges of identifying postmortem human remains found near the border given their varied nationalities, and emphasized that international collaboration and transnational agreements on the use of genetic data would be immensely helpful to her work. Jennifer Wagner concluded by walking the audience through legal precedents surrounding the use of DNA outside of research, and emphasized the lengthy process involved in enacting new regulations or law.

Here is a report about what appears to be the latest case where a potential suspect has been identified through the use of investigative genetic genealogy. I do not know who the offender is in this case but again I address concerned groups and individuals to remember what I have said about the fact I believe there have been numerous misidentifications through the use of genetic genealogy and in my opinion this started with the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson:

Suspected Potomac River Rapist Arrested

Here is a report about what appears to be the latest case where a potential suspect has been identified through the use of investigative genetic genealogy. I do not know who the offender is in this case but again I address concerned groups and individuals to remember what I have said about the fact I believe there have been numerous misidentifications through the use of genetic genealogy and in my opinion this started with the Golden State Killer case where the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson:

Suspected Potomac River Rapist Arrested

The EAR/ONS case is my case so to speak but again the arrest in this case is inspired by what I believe to be a mistake in the Golden State Killer case and this has relevance to this case as it has to all cases inspired by it including the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State:

Police said they managed to solve the cold case by matching DNA left behind by the suspect at the crime scenes to family trees in online genealogy databases.

Several high-profile criminal cases have been solved recently through this technique, including that of the notorious serial killer and rapist known as the “"Golden Gate Killer.”

Joseph DeAngelo, a former policeman, is suspected of at least a dozen murders and 50 rapes between 1976 and 1986 and is awaiting trial in California.

DeAngelo was arrested in April 2018 after investigators tracked him down by plugging crime scene DNA into an open-source genealogy database. — AFP

Washington police announce arrest of 'Potomac River rapist' | Malay Mail

Here are some more details about the arrest in the Potomac Rapist case:

CeCe Moore - Genetic Genealogist
12 hrs ·
The Potomac River Rapist and murderer of Christine Mirzayan (10 known attacks) has been arrested through the work of many, including the brilliant Officer "Smugs," the dedicated Sgt. Chris Homrock, and the Parabon Investigative Genetic Genealogy Team. This is our third successful case with Smugs and Montgomery County and my second case working closely with him. He is amazing and deserves an award! https://www.facebook.com/mcpnews/videos/1248374568687476/

Here are some more details about the arrest in the Potomac Rapist case:

12 hrs ·
The Potomac River Rapist and murderer of Christine Mirzayan (10 known attacks) has been arrested through the work of many, including the brilliant Officer "Smugs," the dedicated Sgt. Chris Homrock, and the Parabon Investigative Genetic Genealogy Team. This is our third successful case with Smugs and Montgomery County and my second case working closely with him. He is amazing and deserves an award! https://www.facebook.com/mcpnews/videos/1248374568687476/

Here is another report about the Potomac Rapist case. I am of course sorry for all the victims of crime and have tried my best to get what I believe is the right answers for them in the Golden State Killer case. It is my opinion though the science behind genetic genealogy was not proved in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington where it was in my opinion a wrongful conviction as there was no legitimate DNA hit and the FBI are aware of this:

"This is a tool. It's public information that's out. I know there's a lot of debate about it now, but the reality is that it is proven that we are now able to give victims ... a little bit of justice, you might say, a closure," Jones said.

'Potomac River Rapist': DC, Maryland serial rapist arrested with DNA

Last edited:
Don't see anywhere that it states he was in the military. I have tried confirm this but cannot. Do you have evidence that he served in the military?

There's no evidence that he was in the military, he most likely wasn't. I like jaejae so i'm not attacking him here or anything to be clear but i believe jaejae saw his name in a military register from 1963, problem is Ralph would have been 10 years old in 1963 so that's obviously not him, it's most likely a relative with the same name since his name is Ralph Leon Jackson and not Ralph Jackson. If jaejae produces a link saying Ralph was in the military i'll apologize but i don't think he will because i don't think Ralph was in the military. I've read all of the court documents i can find for him and nowhere does his lawyer or anyone else mention that he's in the military. Ralph plead guilty so the majority of his court documents are of his appeal where he's fired his initial lawyer and the judges are addressing Ralph's own comments likely advised by his new lawyer.

Even if he was in the military it doesn't mean anything because the Visalia Ransacker witness who described a bull tattoo was a child under hypnosis and he described a bull with white horns while the US Navy Unit with a bull as its emblem based in Virginia has black horns. It's both an unreliable witness and not a matching description of the bull.

There's no evidence that he was in the military, he most likely wasn't. I like jaejae so i'm not attacking him here or anything to be clear but i believe jaejae saw his name in a military register from 1963, problem is Ralph would have been 10 years old in 1963 so that's obviously not him, it's most likely a relative with the same name since his name is Ralph Leon Jackson and not Ralph Jackson. If jaejae produces a link saying Ralph was in the military i'll apologize but i don't think he will because i don't think Ralph was in the military. I've read all of the court documents i can find for him and nowhere does his lawyer or anyone else mention that he's in the military. Ralph plead guilty so the majority of his court documents are of his appeal where he's fired his initial lawyer and the judges are addressing Ralph's own comments likely advised by his new lawyer.

Even if he was in the military it doesn't mean anything because the Visalia Ransacker witness who described a bull tattoo was a child under hypnosis and he described a bull with white horns while the US Navy Unit with a bull as its emblem based in Virginia has black horns. It's both an unreliable witness and not a matching description of the bull.

Hi Nadal hope you are well. We will have to beg to differ because Jackson was in the military. I have seen it written down he served ten years his defence lawyer stated this. I cannot find that article now but it has been gone for sometime. I also believe he had a bull tattoo and the child was a good witness. She was there we were not. If you work with the birth year 1953 try and fit that in with the witness descriptions of the offender and it fits well including in the Maggiore Murders. Cheers

Hi Nadal hope you are well. We will have to beg to differ because Jackson was in the military. I have seen it written down he served ten years his defence lawyer stated this. I cannot find that article now but it has been gone for sometime. I also believe he had a bull tattoo and the child was a good witness. She was there we were not. If you work with the birth year 1953 try and fit that in with the witness descriptions of the offender and it fits well including in the Maggiore Murders. Cheers

I'm good jaejae hope you are too. I don't believe Ralph was ever in the military, it's not mentioned anywhere and i've read a tonne about him pretty much every article and court document available online, his background is mentioned in several and it never once says he was in the military. Like i said if you can produce a link stating he was in the military i will apologize but i don't believe he was from what i've read. It's also not mentioned anywhere that he has tattoo's, you've admitted yourself that you are guessing he has one. Also he would have had to be in the Navy as that's where the Virginia based Unit with the Bull insignia is from.

The witness was not good, not in any way, shape or form. First of all she was a child, second she was under hypnosis, this does not equal a good witness. That's ignoring how unreliable eyewitness testimony is and no one other than the hypnotized child mentioned the bull tattoo when there was several other witnesses. Finally the bull she described had white horns while the Virginia based Navy insignia had black so even if you believe her she described a different bull.

I'm good jaejae hope you are too. I don't believe Ralph was ever in the military, it's not mentioned anywhere and i've read a tonne about him pretty much every article and court document available online, his background is mentioned in several and it never once says he was in the military. Like i said if you can produce a link stating he was in the military i will apologize but i don't believe he was from what i've read. It's also not mentioned anywhere that he has tattoo's, you've admitted yourself that you are guessing he has one. Also he would have had to be in the Navy as that's where the Virginia based Unit with the Bull insignia is from.

The witness was not good, not in any way, shape or form. First of all she was a child, second she was under hypnosis, this does not equal a good witness. That's ignoring how unreliable eyewitness testimony is and no one other than the hypnotized child mentioned the bull tattoo when there was several other witnesses. Finally the bull she described had white horns while the Virginia based Navy insignia had black so even if you believe her she described a different bull.

Hi Nadal. Thanks for the interest. As I say I have seen it written down that he served ten years in the military and for that length of time you are not usually just stationed near your home. I cannot find the exact report about him being in the military but that does not change the fact I saw it and when I saw it I thought I bet he was stationed In California in the 1970s. I cannot view all the articles at the moment also he can be an illusive guy to find information on at times. I saw he served ten years in the military and that is good enough for me it is not my fault the article is not there anymore and the very fact it is not in a way confirms I saw it to me. With the child Judge Judy often thinks children are good witnesses and who I am to disagree. So we will have to beg to differ because I think he had a bull tattoo. It was also a malt liquor symbol but I think it was to do with the military. Thanks

Hi Nadal. Thanks for the interest. As I say I have seen it written down that he served ten years in the military and for that length of time you are not usually just stationed near your home. I cannot find the exact report about him being in the military but that does not change the fact I saw it and when I saw it I thought I bet he was stationed In California in the 1970s. I cannot view all the articles at the moment also he can be an illusive guy to find information on at times. I saw he served ten years in the military and that is good enough for me it is not my fault the article is not there anymore and the very fact it is not in a way confirms I saw it to me. With the child Judge Judy often thinks children are good witnesses and who I am to disagree. So we will have to beg to differ because I think he had a bull tattoo. It was also a malt liquor symbol but I think it was to do with the military. Thanks

Well you claiming you saw an article saying he was in the military is not good enough for people who haven't seen said article, i've read everything i can find on him and this article doesn't seem to exist. I'm sorry but i can't just take your word for it and i assume the majority of people wouldn't do so either especially since everything points to Ralph committing one murder and not being some super serial killer. VFA-37 which is the unit with the bull insignia was never stationed in California so there's yet another issue with this.

I don't base my judgement of witnesses on what Judge Judy says also if you asked her if a hypnotized child is a good witness i assume her answer would be different. The first interview is always the most reliable one and the child didn't say anything about a bull tattoo until later when she was hypnotized. That should tell you something especially when no one else mentioned the tattoo, there was 37 witnesses to the Visalia Ransacker i think it's telling that you base this entirely on one and probably the least reliable one.

Here is another case where investigative genetic genealogy has been used to identify a suspect. As I say I want criminals caught but I urge these cases to be checked in light of the fact I believe that in the Golden State Killer case there was a misidentification and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. I also think this information is relevant to the defence of those accused through the use of investigative genetic genealogy subsequent to this misidentification:

Man Charged with Cold Case Murders of Two Women | KFI AM 640

I do not know who offender was in this case but it is my view the District Attorneys in the Golden State Killer case are trying to seek the death penalty against an innocent man so it is a very serious situation:

Vaultz is set to be arraigned Monday in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom on two counts of murder, which include the special-circumstance allegations of lying in wait, murder during the commission of a rape and sodomy and multiple murders. The District Attorney's Office will decide later whether to seek the death penalty against Vaultz, who was described by Burbank police Detective Aaron Kay as having a “criminal record consistent with this type of behavior.”

Man Charged with Cold Case Murders of Two Women | KFI AM 640

Here is another report about the above case where an arrest has been made through the use of investigative genetic genealogy;

Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced today that a 64-year-old man has been charged with the murders of two women using investigative genetic genealogy to help solve the decades-old crimes.

It marks the first time in Los Angeles County that a criminal case has been filed using the innovative forensic tool.

"Thanks to advances in technology and forensics, we are now able to virtually reach back in time and find those responsible for these vicious crimes," District Attorney Lacey said.

District Attorney Jackie Lacey Files First Investigative Genetic Genealogy Case in Los Angeles County

Here is a video of CeCe Moore on the Dr Phil show and she explains how she uses her family trees to provide highly scientific tips to LE through her investigative gentic genealogy:

Here is another report about the above case where an arrest has been made through the use of investigative genetic genealogy;

Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced today that a 64-year-old man has been charged with the murders of two women using investigative genetic genealogy to help solve the decades-old crimes.

It marks the first time in Los Angeles County that a criminal case has been filed using the innovative forensic tool.

"Thanks to advances in technology and forensics, we are now able to virtually reach back in time and find those responsible for these vicious crimes," District Attorney Lacey said.

District Attorney Jackie Lacey Files First Investigative Genetic Genealogy Case in Los Angeles County

Here is another report about the above case in California where genetic genealogy was used in a similar way to the Golden State Killer case:

Van Vaultz was arrested Thursday, and it was not immediately clear if he had an attorney. Lacey declined to detail the specific method used to capture him, citing the ongoing investigation, but likened the process to the one that cracked open the Golden State Killer case last year. Horace Van Vaultz, Jr. was charged today in the murders of two women in 1981 and 1986 in Montclair and Burbank. Lacey said prosecutors ran DNA collected from the initial crime scenes in Burbank and Montclair against a “commercial DNA database” to narrow the pool of possible suspects. Burbank Police Det. Aaron Kaye said investigators became aware of Van Vaultz‘s possible involvement sometime in September, and Lacey said the 64-year-old’s […]

https://popularcrime.com/2019/11/15...o-make-arrest-in-1980s-killings-of-two-women/

Here is another report about the above case in California where genetic genealogy was used in a similar way to the Golden State Killer case:

Van Vaultz was arrested Thursday, and it was not immediately clear if he had an attorney. Lacey declined to detail the specific method used to capture him, citing the ongoing investigation, but likened the process to the one that cracked open the Golden State Killer case last year. Horace Van Vaultz, Jr. was charged today in the murders of two women in 1981 and 1986 in Montclair and Burbank. Lacey said prosecutors ran DNA collected from the initial crime scenes in Burbank and Montclair against a “commercial DNA database” to narrow the pool of possible suspects. Burbank Police Det. Aaron Kaye said investigators became aware of Van Vaultz‘s possible involvement sometime in September, and Lacey said the 64-year-old’s […]

L.A. prosecutors use genealogy search to make arrest in 1980s killings of two women - Popular Crime

Here is another part of a report in the latest case where a suspect has been identified through the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

The case is being prosecuted by Deputy District Attorney Beth Silverman of the Major Crimes Division's Cold Case Unit.

The unit consists of two experienced deputy district attorneys dedicated to assisting law enforcement agencies in closing cold case murders. They will provide tactical and legal advice and file and prosecute cases.

"With dedicated resources and rapidly advancing technology, we can unmask the cowardly murderers who have remained hidden in our community and bring justice to the grief-stricken families who have waited too long for answers," District Attorney Lacey said.

The case remains under investigation by the Burbank and Montclair police departments. The FBI's Forensic Genetic Genealogy Team also assisted in the investigation.

Here are details of another cases were investigative genetic genealogy has been used to identify a suspect in a serious crime case and of course it was a horrible crime and the victim and her relatives deserve justice:

An Arizona man is arrested in the 1979 murder of a woman in Nevada - CNN

Again I address any Public Defenders and concerned individuals and groups by stating again in my opinion investigative genetic genealogy was used in the Golden State Killer case to identify an innocent man incorrectly as the offender and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. Also in the Washington State case of Mr Talbott I believe it was a wrongful conviction and the FBI were aware of the fact there was actually no legitimate DNA hit in this case:

Biological evidence identified Sullivan as a possible suspect in the case. In August, the Nevada attorney general got an indictment against him.

This cold case is the first genetic genealogy arrest to go to trial

Technological advances are leading to more and more cold case arrests. The most famous is probably the arrest in the Golden State Killer case in April 2018, where investigators used DNA and a free genealogy database to arrest Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, for allegedly killing 12 people and raping more than 50 women in the 1970s and 1980s.

An Arizona man is arrested in the 1979 murder of a woman in Nevada - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member