LA - Shooting Leaves Five Dead, Livingston & Ascension Parishes, Jan 2019 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dakota Theriot trial remains at a standstill

Jul 9, 2019

"Chances of the death penalty are murky based on the recent history of the issue.

Nearly six months after a two-parish shooting spree that left five dead, uncertainty looms over a trial date for accused murderer Dakota Theriot.

Papers filed by defense attorneys in 23rd Judicial District Court state that the Public Defender’s Office does not have the funds to represent Theriot in a trial – one which will likely involve years of appeals. He has been represented by the Louisiana Capital Assistance Center, a nonprofit service based in New Orleans which defends those accused of capital crimes...."

Dakota Theriot trial remains at a standstill

Billy%2C%20Summer%20and%20Tanner%20Ernest%201-28-19_1548699310960.JPG_69187852_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

keith_and_elizabeth_2.jpg

(Keith Theriot and Elizabeth Theriot)

Last edited:
After long halt, Dakota Theriot death penalty prosecution to move forward with state board paying for defense

AUG 6, 2019

"The Livingston Parish death penalty case against Dakota Theriot, accused of killing three people in Livingston and two in Ascension, will move forward after a monthslong halt in which two public defense agencies said they did not have the funding for such a taxing workload....

Theriot has been determined an indigent, meaning he does not have the means to pay for his own defense and therefore a defense attorney will be appointed to him. It's up to the courts to do that.

A 23rd Judicial District judge in May decided there was adequate enough funding for the Ascension case to move forward. The same issue had remained in Livingston court since then until late last week when a 21st Judicial District judge determined the same....

Pittman said the Louisiana Public Defender Board has a regularly-scheduled meeting Thursday in which they will allocate funds for the 2019-20 fiscal year. It's expected they will discuss Theriot's case and officially allocate defense funds then."

After long halt, Dakota Theriot death penalty prosecution to move forward with state board paying for defense

@YESorNO - any new articles on a court date? I've looked, but of course just getting old articles from 2018....

TIA! :)

Do you have a link to the court website? I have not researched this case previously.

Nope... I see though it was YESorNO that was helping on this thread with finding articles, but I know that she has been out sick....

I'll just wait! :)

Last edited:
Nope... I see thought it was YESorNO that was helping on this thread with finding articles, but I know that she has been out sick....

I'll just wait! :)
I reviewed the last few pages of this thread but didn't notice any court links.
There is this posting which indicates that the charges are in two different Parishes:

2 counts of murder are in Ascension Parish
3 counts of murder in Livingston Parish

Yea, I went back a few pages also to see "who" was helping me - and just saw that it was YESorNO posting articles that I got updates from.

Trial set for man accused of Livingston, Ascension killing rampage, but delays possible

The man accused of a killing five people in Livingston and Ascension parishes last year is set to face a trial in August that could bring the death penalty. But that trial might be delayed until 2021 as defense attorneys deal with scheduling conflicts.

Dakota Theriot, 22, appeared Monday in district court in Livingston, where a judge set a trial to begin Aug. 10. That is the only available time to hold a trial there this year.
[.....]
A judge has revoked bail, so Theriot has remained at Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola. He was at Monday's hearing, wearing an orange jail jumpsuit with his hands and legs shackled, but he did not speak.

Theriot pleaded not guilty to the five murder charges, but it's still unclear if his defense team plans to seek an insanity defense or present evidence arguing he isn't competent to stand trial.
[.....]
If Theriot's attorneys do change his plea to not guilty by reason of insanity, it could lead to further hearings on whether he's able to assist in his defense — and whether he could tell right from wrong during the alleged killings.
[.....]
Brown declined to comment on the case because it's still in the early stages. Evidence they've filed with the courts is not publicly available.

The cases are still in the pretrial phases. A trial date hasn't been set in Ascension.

@JaneEyre - okay - noticed you liked one of the posts above - can you access the article I posted on #135? TIA! if you can.

Edited to add - wondering if there are any court dates for the Livingston Parish case.

Received an article in my google alert - but I can't access it, nor can Outline. Was just wondering if there is a next court date in it?
Anyone? TIA! :)
Dakota Theriot returns to court for initial motions, to be discussed in March; jury trial set tentatively for August
Just popping in . . . :D
I, too, get a pay wall, but was able to access the article in Outline.com.
Next court date is in March, although there is no specific day listed. . .
. . . "Motion [...] continued to March"
Dakota Theriot returns to court for initial motions, to be discussed in March; jury trial set tentatively for August
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Jan 9, 2020

[...]
The court granted all of the defense's motions, which included the following:

• Motion of discovery (access to all supplementary documentation in a case)
  • Motion of access to physical evidence
  • Motion of discovery of all Brady material (access to information that my be suppressed by the prosecution)
  • Motion for written confirmation into the state's investigation as to whether Brady material exists
  • Several motions regarding prior acts of the defendant, and personal actions in the past that cannot be used against him for this specific event
  • Motion to inspect video evidence submitted to Crime Stoppers was continued to March
The next available date for a jury trial, that matched with Theriot's defense, was Aug. 10, 2020.
[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mydermarie26
Back