Mark Sievers Trial General Discussion Thread

I worry about the life insurance policies counting as evidence because the defense is going to say that TS was the breadwinner, so it makes sense they would insure her heavily, to protect the children if something happened to her.

The most damning thing would be if we could prove she didn't know about all of the policies taken out on her. But she would have signed them, unless it was forged.

Do you think that anyone thinks that MS is not guilty? I haven't had that sense on here and juries usually get it right.

Hello all. I’m a total newbie here. I’ve become consumed by this trial and have watched every day. I stumbled upon this website while researching sporadically online. I feel like I’ve gone down the rabbit hole.

I went into this trial without really knowing much more than has been shared in the media, and I just assumed he was guilty. But to answer your question, if I were on the jury, I don’t think I could find him guilty with what’s been presented. I haven’t read every post that’s been uploaded on here, but from what I have read, I don’t find it overwhelmingly convincing that he’s guilty. There’s too much grey area IMO for a guilty verdict in a DP case.

Hello all. I’m a total newbie here. I’ve become consumed by this trial and have watched every day. I stumbled upon this website while researching sporadically online. I feel like I’ve gone down the rabbit hole.

I went into this trial without really knowing much more than has been shared in the media, and I just assumed he was guilty. But to answer your question, if I were on the jury, I don’t think I could find him guilty with what’s been presented. I haven’t read every post that’s been uploaded on here, but from what I have read, I don’t find it overwhelmingly convincing that he’s guilty. There’s too much grey area IMO for a guilty verdict in a DP case.
Thank you for the response and welcome to WS, Iddy.

I was afraid that this is the response we might get from people following this trial. It seems kind of an underwhelming presentation so far by the prosecution. Very frustrating because there is so much more that has not been brought up in court so far... ugh... I hope they have a strong ending but it might take a miracle for that.

Welcome and Thanks iddy143 for your honest opinion. You represent what one of the jurors might be thinking. Oh boy, this is bad. Tell me please, what would you need to convince you out of that grey area? Where's your doubt? Is it the Death Penalty that you find not warranted ..... how about just LWOP?

I wish I could give you a link to her interview, ...
BBM
beach has a thread that points to CK's interview. Hopefully, this will help. Once you click on the link, you will see several PDF files. Just go to the one that is labeled "Carrie Kain." Her account is really disturbing, IMO.
Carrie Kain - Original Statement

Thank you for the response and welcome to WS, Iddy.

I was afraid that this is the response we might get from people following this trial. It seems kind of an underwhelming presentation so far by the prosecution. Very frustrating because there is so much more that has not been brought up in court so far... ugh... I hope they have a strong ending but it might take a miracle for that.
Maybe, I'm missing something; however, if I were on the jury, I would be asking what the motive would be for CWW and JRR to drive all that way to murder Dr. Sievers unless MS were somehow connected. CWW was a newlywed and not exactly flush with money. JRR didn't have any money, either. It would make sense to me that MS offered to pay them to do this murder. That's why they did it, just like CWW said.

There also wouldn't be any reason for them to be communicating using burner phones up until the murder and then not to use them afterwards.

Surely, the jury won't be as stupid as Casey Anthony's jury.

It's so perfect that I was eating a raspberry while reading your post.

Carrie Kain, oh yes, that'd be great, for tomorrow's witnesses, and maybe Taylor Shomaker.

I appreciate and consider both you and ChicagoChic sharing how important it would be for the State to reveal just how sure Mark was of Teresa's death before he was told. We've all seen he sometimes starts his fake crying at the wrong times. I have no idea if the State will use it. I don't want to see TS's Mom be bullied by that mean dog defense attorney.

It would NOT go over well with the jury if the defense bullied MG. But he can't seem to help himself, so yeah, he'd probably go there. Ugh.

I'm finding it hard to believe tomorrow is the last day of witnesses for the state. And we've gotten nowhere. The technical aspects that have been given to the jury floor me because hello! We know she died and we know who did the actual killing, so what we want to see is a clear link to MS.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think that the state is blundering around on purpose to possibly protect another state atty (per Beach's earlier comment). Hopefully they have more integrity than that.

So do they hope to make their case during cross examination of the defense's witnesses? Because depending on how tomorrow goes, if I were Mummert, I'd say "no witnesses for the defense" and let the lack of a good prosecution case do my work for me.

If the State has done such a poor job of telling the jury how MS is responsible for the death of TS then maybe the defense would be wise in not putting up any witness's and go straight to closing arguments.

Or maybe the defense could say that the State hasn't proven their case and ask the judge for an acquittal.

A motion for judgment of acquittal rests on the claim that the evidence at trial was insufficient for a conviction. In other words, the defendant argues that no reasonable jury could possibly find guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Acquittals by Judges in Jury Trials

RE: if MS was told TS was dead

In regards to whether Dr. P told Mark that Teresa was dead, here's another account. CK said Mark told her Dr. P asked him, "Where are the girls?" and then screams, "She's dead!"

Not sure CK's testimony will be able to provide what is needed to help show Mark's guilt. I just wish each juror could get a copy of CK's account to read. Hinky meters would go off! Gone five hours leaving all the people there to help him mourn the loss of his murdered wife? He had to leave to go to the beach to talk somebody out of quitting law school after their first day?

CWW and AW more than welcome to stay at Mark's mother's, but Mark's sister can't stay there. CWW the murderer of their mother being allowed to go swimming with the young daughters.

Maybe, I'm missing something; however, if I were on the jury, I would be asking what the motive would be for CWW and JRR to drive all that way to murder Dr. Sievers unless MS were somehow connected. CWW was a newlywed and not exactly flush with money. JRR didn't have any money, either. It would make sense to me that MS offered to pay them to do this murder. That's why they did it, just like CWW said.

As to the bolded above^^^, that is one of the problems so far----the jury shouldn't be left wondering if MS was 'somehow connected.' By now they should KNOW exactly how much he paid, when he paid them, how he did so, etc. But it feels like it's been kind of vague so far. But maybe I missed it.

It would 'make sense' that he offered to pay them, but a Death Penalty trial needs a stronger level of certainty than that. There needs to be some concrete facts and evidence that he did do so.

CWW said that MS planned the whole thing. But the defense will likely say he is lying and blaming MS to get a better deal for himself.

They may even say that CWW had his own personal motive---maybe he was involved in the insurance fraud and TS discovered it. He wanted to get rid of her before she revealed it to LE?
There also wouldn't be any reason for them to be communicating using burner phones up until the murder and then not to use them afterwards.

The defense may come up with a creative explanation for the burners---maybe the insurance fraud, or an affair between them?

Surely, the jury won't be as stupid as Casey Anthony's jury.

I sure hope not. :eek:

BBM- Not yer but I don’t put one thing past Mark and his attorney. I have a feeling the ugly is coming. I sure hope this prosecution team has the finesse to handle it.

I fear you're right. I expected this trial to be a total circus after the custody hearings, but it seems strangely subdued so far.

One day and 5 witnesses left for the prosecution to prove their case. I'm not feeling confident at the moment.

Thank you for your feedback, and welcome to WS!

Good morning/afternoon everyone.

There we go, out with his writing pad and ever present post-it and we're not even started yet.

I have my friend round to watch with me today (Youtube on TV) and she's already side-eyed me. The last time she saw MS, he was heavier and had the beard. She was surprised how good and sharp he looks, apart from his tie. I was wut?? Of course I see the change in him, but he revolts me because of what he is. Man.... I'm agitated. This needs to be a great day for the State, we shouldn't have to feel like this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back