TX TX - Heidi Broussard, 33, & Margot Carey, 2 weeks, Austin, 12 Dec 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The press conference was a "cookie cutter" type.
Sorry for the sporadic posts - another thing to note:

When Detective Brad is asked if Shane is a POI, he says "So we have an ongoing current investigation - I'm not ready to get into anyone that we have as persons of interest, to be perfectly honest with you this case is unique in that we don't have a person of interest right now...".

Do you guys take this to mean they aren't ready to DISCUSS a POI right now as he first says, or that they truly don't have one.

The detective's first reaction is to not discuss "anyone that we have as persons of interest", but then he U-turns and says APD has no POI. The initial communication, when spontaneously obtained, is always the most accurate. Translation: They have a POI.

Also, when a person prefaces a sentence with "to be perfectly honest" (or some phrase/word of that nature), they are usually not being perfectly honest. This is Interview and Interrogation 101. Even police officers will do it when in front of the cameras and not aware of the questions that may be asked.

This was a cookie-cutter PC designed for other purposes.

Not the OP, but I don’t think their post said anything about being taken south of the border. In fact, they said that one could be transported to other areas of the city or surrounding states. Unless I’m missing something, reference to race or Mexico was not in the OP’s post.

I think they may be referencing an HLN segment about this case which featured an ex FBI agent who mentioned the border, which was seen + mentioned by a member here (Gardenista)

No link, just watching, but retired FBI agent on HLN thinks they are leaning towards abduction. Agent is concerned about the border being so close to where she lived--about 200 miles away.

BBM

DEC 17, 2019
Dad pleads for help finding missing Texas mom and newborn daughter - CNN
Det. Brad Herries said investigators do not have a person of interest in the case and do not yet know if there is foul play involved. "We continue to search. We've been working continually since Thursday night to try to find Heidi and (her daughter)," Herries said.

FBI, Texas Rangers assisting in search for missing Austin mom, newborn
At a press briefing Tuesday afternoon on the case, Austin Police Department investigators said right now they have no reason to believe that the two have been harmed and assume they are alive.

Texas Father Pleads for Help Finding Missing 3-Week-Old Daughter, Her Mother
Police said they believe Broussard returned home with her baby before they both disappeared. They were reported missing to police at 7:30 p.m., officials said.

FBI investigating disappearance of mother and newborn baby in Texas
The FBI has deployed its child abduction team to help authorities in Austin, Texas, investigate the case of a missing mother and her newborn baby.

[…]
Herries declined to answer questions Tuesday about whether there had been previous domestic abuse reports from Broussard's apartment. The detective noted that authorities currently do not have reason to believe that Margot or her mother have been harmed.

"It’s possible that Heidi and Margot have left on their own accord," Herries said. "It’s also possible that there may be something nefarious or foul play involved. To be honest, we don’t know the answer to that question."

Just an observation about this part:

""It’s possible that Heidi and Margot have left on their own accord," Herries said. "It’s also possible that there may be something nefarious or foul play involved. To be honest, we don’t know the answer to that question.""

Speaking of "tells", the "to be honest" part at the end tells me that LE does not necessarily always give us all the information they know. The fact that qualification was used is a pretty good sign that other times in the answers we heard, we may have not been hearing everything that is known to them. And Im fine with that so long as they eventually get to the bottom of a case and so long as withholding anything does not hurt the case.

But not the post gitana was replying to. That poster had specifically said that you could traffic someone from the I-35 corridor and not necessarily go to the border. It was Gardenista in a previous post that mentioned race and Mexico.

Which, by the way, trafficking of white women happens all the time, though I agree that it wouldn’t make sense to traffic a white woman in Mexico.
Yes, but women aren’t kidnapped off the street with any regularity, and forced into sex trafficking. That’s not how it works.

It’s typically a lengthy grooming process, one that involves victims who live high risk lifestyles. Throw a baby into the mix as well, and you’re talking about something all but unprecedented.

I’m sure this has been discussed in a previous thread but their apartment complex seems to be gated which means not any old Joe Schmoe can be creeping in their parking lot.

Yes, but women aren’t kidnapped off the street with any regularity, and forced into sex trafficking. That’s not how it works.

It’s typically a lengthy grooming process, one that involves victims who live high risk lifestyles. Throw a baby into the mix as well, and you’re talking about something all but unprecedented.

ITA. And women/girls are typically kidnapped/trafficked at a MUCH younger age, and not typically with a newborn - too much of a burden for the abductor.

The border makes a lot of sense to lots of people for lots of reasons. I don't buy it in this case at all.
Yes, it's easy enough to get to but would sex traffickers have much ' use/need/ desire' to take a 2 wks post childbirth woman down there? I don't think so. Plus a baby is a big headache to kidnappers unless they specifically wanted a baby of their own to raise and if that were the case, the border would not likely be in play. If she were running away on her own I doubt if she'd go to the border either. It's become a very dangerous place on both sides the last several years and she would likely know that from watching the news. She would certainly not attempt to get there without supplies and ID. I will be stunned if she has crossed the border on her own free will or at the hands of any ' captors'.

That has struck me as off since I first heard it. I have never heard anyone ever refer to their infant as a woman. That'll she be an X kind of woman one day maybe. But calling her a beautiful woman? I mean when I first heard that I was all, "What? What other woman is also missing?!" I was completely thrown off. It would not have occurred to me that he was calling a 7 or 8 lb baby a woman.
Not sure why we parse every word that a person says who isn’t used to public speaking and who hasn’t prepared remarks in advance.

I’m not sure how much we know about her to be able to rule her out based on how she lived. Maybe you’ve done more digging into her life than I have.

Some interesting reading about trafficking and who it happens to:

Human trafficking is closer than you think - The Daily Texan

Please quantify what they actually said that leads you to think that.

1. “Electronic devices are being continually evaluated..." Police say electronic devices are being continually monitored for activity or tips.
  2. Police say they've been continually searching since Thursday night.
  3. They are looking for them in a SAR capacity
  4. Police say, since Thursday night, there have been officers on-scene. Officers on scene at areas knocking on doors, current state location
  5. The FBI’s Child Abduction Deployment Response team is assisting with the investigation
  6. It's an ongoing investigation - speaking to co-workers, neighbors, investigating their digital footprint, etc. Neighbors, coworkers friends, forensic, digital footprint being investigated
  7. Partners with the DPS are helping by reaching out to other states.
  8. Investigating with a number of agencies: Austin, missing person, TX dept of safety, rangers, Travis county, etc.
Thanks to @PommyMommy and @Knox

Also, earlier statement that they did not have time until now to make an on-camera statement. Five days of working solid.

Finally, he had that look of grim determination I’ve come to know so well in cases like this that get solved.

In the PC he didn’t give a reason why but he said they do have reason to believe both Heidi and Margot made it back to the apartment that morning after the school drop off/book fair.

Lots of “it’s part of our ongoing investigation”. Especially when asked about Fiancee and past domestic violence calls to the address.

I’m thinking they haven’t yet uncovered enough evidence to move forward with an arrest.

I know we expect everything to happen lightening fast, but honestly it’s only been 5 days and evidence collecting to lead to an arrest does take time.

The press conference was a "cookie cutter" type.

The detective's first reaction is to not discuss "anyone that we have as persons of interest", but then he U-turns and says APD has no POI. The initial communication, when spontaneously obtained, is always the most accurate. Translation: They have a POI.

Also, when a person prefaces a sentence with "to be perfectly honest" (or some phrase/word of that nature), they are usually not being perfectly honest. This is Interview and Interrogation 101. Even police officers will do it when in front of the cameras and not aware of the questions that may be asked.

This was a cookie-cutter PC designed for other purposes.
Yes - and "to be perfectly honest" was used so many times in that presser that if I was drinking each time I heard it, I'd be hammered. Same thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member