Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #19 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes, I'll be shortening this up a bit! :)

Wednesday, November 27th:
*Preliminary Hearing (re 2018 sexual assault case) (@ am MT) - UT – MacKenzie “Kenzie” Lueck (23) (June 17, 2019, Salt Lake City, reported missing June 20, 2019, found June 26, 2019 charred female human tissue & bone, part of her scalp with hair, burned cell phone & personal belongings (clothing) burned & buried in his Salt Lake City backyard; body found July 3, 2019 in Logan Canyon (about 85 miles north of Salt Lake City).) - *Ayoola Adisa Ajayi aka “Joy” & “AJ” (31) arrested & charged (6/28/19) & formally charged (7/10/19) with criminal homicide 1st degree felony aggravated murder, 1st degree aggravated kidnapping, 2nd degree desecration of a body & 3rd degree obstruction of justice. No plea entered yet. Held without bond.
Court hearings from 6/30/19 thru 7/29/19 reference post #645 here:
Found Deceased - UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #19 *ARREST*

8/26/19 Update on scheduling conference hearing – next hearing on 10/7. 10/7/19 Update: The judge scheduled a two-day preliminary hearing for March 11–12, 2020. Evidence will be presented at the preliminary hearing to see if the case will advance to trial.
*Charged (8/13/19) with 19 counts of 2nd degree possessing child *advertiser censored* (sexual exploitation of a minor).
8/13/19 Update: An additional 19 charges were filed Tuesday of possessing child *advertiser censored*. The images are mostly of children between the ages of 4 and 8 years old, the charges state.
8/23/19 Update: Preliminary hearing on 9/9. 9/9/19 Update: Next preliminary hearing on 10/21. No update as of 11/24.

*Charged (8/20/19) with 1st degree felony aggravated kidnapping & 3 counts of 2nd degree felony forcible sexual abuse. No plea entered yet.
8/20/19 Update: as been charged with aggravated kidnapping & 3 counts of forcible sexual abuse of another woman in March of 2018, were filed against Ajayi in the Third District Court Tuesday, 8/20.
8/23/19 Update: Had preliminary hearing sexual assault cases. No plea entered. Next hearing for sexual assault on 9/9. 9/9/19: Next preliminary hearing on 9/26.
9/26/19 Update: Third District Judge Vernice Trease accepted the two-page statement over the objection of Ajayi’s defense attorney Neal Hamilton, who said it was inconsistent with the woman’s initial statement to investigators. A written testimony from victim entered. Trease said she would allow Ajayi’s attorneys more time to work on a subpoena, but that doesn’t mean she’ll require the woman to testify. The judge also did not immediately rule Thursday whether the statement provides evidence for the case to go to trial. Waived his right to a speedy trial. Hearing (for assault) is scheduled to continue Nov. 27, when Ajayi will have a chance to testify in his own defense.
10/21/19 Update: Ajayi is facing charges of sexual exploitation of a minor and aggravated kidnapping and forced sexual abuse of an adult female. None of the additional charges are related to the Lueck case. A motion Wednesday would require the victim in one of the sexual assault cases to testify before a trial. The judge heard arguments over a motion to request Brady materials, which she granted. The defense, however, argued to have the testimony on record. The judge will make a decision on the motion to quash subpoena by Nov. 20. The parties will meet again on Nov. 27 for a preliminary hearing, when Ajayi also will have a chance to testify in his own defense.
11/20/19 Update: Third District Judge Vernice Trease sided with prosecutors & the woman’s attorney Wednesday, finding Utah’s victim rights law protects the woman from being forced to take the stand at a remaining portion of a preliminary hearing next week (11/27).

Today's hearing (11/27) is about the following incident:

Man charged in University of Utah student’s killing wants accuser questioned in separate case

Sept 26, 2019

SALT LAKE CITY — One day last year, a woman fired up Mutual, the dating app geared at single Latter-day Saints, and came across a bachelor named AJ.

They began chatting and she agreed to have dinner with him at his home in Salt Lake City on March 10. After the meal, they started watching a movie on TV and he began kissing her “intensely” as she tried to scoot away from him on the couch, she recalled in a written statement that was admitted in 3rd District Court Thursday. He then sexually assaulted her as he pinned her arms down, the document says.

[...]

Prosecutors said they learned about the assault allegation, which predates Lueck’s death by more than a year, as they gathered evidence in the homicide. Ajayi has not yet entered pleas in either case.

Third District Judge Vernice Trease accepted the two-page statement over the objection of Ajayi’s defense attorney Neal Hamilton, who said it was inconsistent with the woman’s initial statement to investigators.

[...]

While she originally told police she had blocked Ajayi’s number, Hamilton said, the woman spoke with investigators again after forensic analysis of her phone showed they continued to exchange messages.

ETA: I'm curious how the hearing will proceed after earlier ruling that the victim does not have to testify/be present. Perhaps the victim's attorney will read her statement into the court record?

Seattle1 from article said:
snipped by me...

They began chatting and she agreed to have dinner with him at his home in Salt Lake City on March 10.

Now - I would NEVER meet someone I don't know at their home - a restaurant or bar would have been my choice....

I believe that is the plan - her attorney will read her statement in court...

Any news on "what" did happen yet? TIA! :)

NOV 27, 2019
Separate sex assault trial scheduled for man accused in death of Mackenzie Lueck
Defense attorneys for the man charged in the death of University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck acknowledge there is enough evidence for his separate sexual assault charges to advance to trial.

Ayoola Adisa Ajayi’s lawyers are pushing back, however, on an allegation of aggravated kidnapping. He faces the first-degree felony charge after a woman told investigators he pinned her arms down and assaulted her during a dinner date at his Salt Lake City home in March 2018.

[…]

Judge Vernice Trease said she will rule Dec. 20 on whether prosecutors have met their burden of probable cause to support the kidnapping charge. In the meantime, she scheduled a two-day jury trial to begin in February on three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony.

[…]

NOV 27, 2019
Separate sex assault trial scheduled for man accused in death of Mackenzie Lueck
[…]

“Everyone’s in agreement that there will be a bindover on forcible sexual abuse, because at a preliminary hearing, all inferences are taken in favor of the state,” Ajayi’s defense attorney Neal Hamilton said after the hearing. “And although we do have concerns and issues with the evidence, we acknowledge there’s certainly enough there for bindover at this point.”

Prosecutors argued Ajayi held the woman’s arms down before assaulting her, an action distinct from the alleged sexual contact and that supported the kidnapping charge.

Hamilton countered that the alleged behavior may amount to unlawful detention, which fits a lesser, third-degree felony. But he said the woman wasn’t held for a substantial period of time or in a life-threatening circumstance, and any actions his client took to block her from leaving were not separate from the assault.

[…]

A quiet Ajayi appeared in glasses and a yellow jail uniform Wednesday, speaking only to reply, “Yes, your honor,” to questions from the judge.

[…]

Do they know time of death and motive? How strong is the prosecution's case ?

Solid:
  • AA was the last person to have contact with KL;
  • Lyft driver dropped KL off at the park where AA's cell phone registered on the same date/time;
  • Police located KL's property and her charred tissue at AA's residence;
  • Police followed AA's phone pings which led to KL's buried remains at second location.
Motive always helps but not required for a conviction. Jury will decide if AA killed, burned and buried KL's remains or he did not.

Docs and more at links below.

Aggravated murder, kidnapping charges filed against Salt Lake City man in connection with Mackenzie Lueck murder

Mackenzie “Kenzie” Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June, 2019 Media, Maps, Timeline, *NO DISCUSSION*

I am amazed that the rental company could be so oblivious. PMI appears to be a large franchise operation, but unless the newspaper called the main office and not the SLC office, you would think they'd be aware of the house's notoriety. It only requires the most basic online search, and it's certainly something the new occupants would soon learn of and possibly be extremely unhappy about if it weren't disclosed/known to them in advance.

The employees may have been instructed to say they weren't aware of any criminal investigation. Par for the course in these situations.

I am amazed that the rental company could be so oblivious. PMI appears to be a large franchise operation, but unless the newspaper called the main office and not the SLC office, you would think they'd be aware of the house's notoriety. It only requires the most basic online search, and it's certainly something the new occupants would soon learn of and possibly be extremely unhappy about if it weren't disclosed/known to them in advance.

The employees may have been instructed to say they weren't aware of any criminal investigation — Par for the course in these situations.

Friday, December 20th:
*Preliminary Hearing (re 2018 sexual assault case) (@ am MT) - UT – MacKenzie “Kenzie” Lueck (23) (June 17, 2019, Salt Lake City, reported missing June 20, 2019, found June 26, 2019 charred female human tissue & bone, part of her scalp with hair, burned cell phone & personal belongings (clothing) burned & buried in his Salt Lake City backyard; body found July 3, 2019 in Logan Canyon (about 85 miles north of Salt Lake City).) - *Ayoola Adisa Ajayi aka “Joy” & “AJ” (31) arrested & charged (6/28/19) & formally charged (7/10/19) with criminal homicide 1st degree felony aggravated murder, 1st degree aggravated kidnapping, 2nd degree desecration of a body & 3rd degree obstruction of justice. No plea entered yet. Held without bond.
Court hearings from 6/30/19 thru 7/29/19 reference post #645 here:
Found Deceased - UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #19 *ARREST*

8/26/19 Update on scheduling conference hearing – next hearing on 10/7. 10/7/19 Update: The judge scheduled a two-day preliminary hearing for March 11–12, 2020. Evidence will be presented at the preliminary hearing to see if the case will advance to trial.
*Charged (8/13/19) with 19 counts of 2nd degree possessing child *advertiser censored* (sexual exploitation of a minor).
8/13/19 Update: An additional 19 charges were filed Tuesday of possessing child *advertiser censored*. The images are mostly of children between the ages of 4 and 8 years old, the charges state.
8/23/19 Update: Preliminary hearing on 9/9. 9/9/19 Update: Next preliminary hearing on 10/21. No update since 12/18.

*Charged (8/20/19) with 1st degree felony aggravated kidnapping & 3 counts of 2nd degree felony forcible sexual abuse. No plea entered yet. (2018 sex assault).
Trial set to begin in February No date given (2-day trial).
Court info from 8/20/19 thru 10/21/19 reference post #834 here:

11/20/19 Update: Third District Judge Vernice Trease sided with prosecutors & the woman’s attorney Wednesday, finding Utah’s victim rights law protects the woman from being forced to take the stand at a remaining portion of a preliminary hearing next week (11/27).
11/27/19 Update:
Judge Vernice Trease said she will rule Dec. 20 on whether prosecutors have met their burden of probable cause to support the kidnapping charge. In the meantime, she scheduled a two-day jury trial to begin in February on three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony.

DEC 21, 2019
Suspect in California student Mackenzie Lueck's slaying will stand trial in sexual assault case

Utah_Student_Killed-Assault_Case_36513.jpg

A man accused of killing a Utah college student was ordered Friday to stand trial on charges he sexually assaulted another woman he met on a dating site more than a year before the slaying.

Ayoola Ajayi, 31, pleaded not guilty to felony kidnapping and three counts of forcible sexual abuse.

[…]

Ajayi was also charged with sexual exploitation of a minor after investigators discovered child *advertiser censored* on his computer.

He has not yet entered pleas to those charges, and his lawyers have not commented.

DEC 20, 2019
Man accused of killing Mackenzie Lueck to stand trial in separate sex assault case
[…]

Third District Judge Vernice Trease ruled Friday the evidence against Ayoola Adisa Ajayi meets the standard of probable cause in each of four criminal charges. A trial was scheduled to begin in February.

The 31-year-old Ajayi, shackled and in a yellow jail uniform, hung his head as the judge read her order. ...

Trease entered not guilty pleas on his behalf to charges of aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony; and three counts of forcible sexual abuse, a second-degree felony.

[…]

Sure wish they would put actual dates of the hearings in the articles...

If anyone sees any - please post!

I need the one for 2018 assault - in February.

Also the 19 counts of possession of child *advertiser censored* - in March.

I have MacKenzie's case on 3/11 & 3/12.

TIA!
And Merry Christmas to you all here!
animated-smileys-christmas-127.gif

@PommyMommy - wondering if you can access Utah court site?

I need the one for 2018 assault - in February - I have no date.

Also the 19 counts of possession of child *advertiser censored* - sometime in March.

TIA if you can! :)

@PommyMommy - wondering if you can access Utah court site?

I need the one for 2018 assault - in February - I have no date.

Also the 19 counts of possession of child *advertiser censored* - sometime in March.

TIA if you can! :)

I just checked, but not sure the right court system. It is the Salt Lake court calendar at Court Calendar and it notes that the view only goes 30 days out. (The article did say LATE February iirc) I didn't find anything at the search link. I did contact a few of the reporters that have been covering the case to ask them. Since it is Sunday, they may not answer until Monday, if they do answer that is.

Pommy may be able to find out if that is the right link to search, as I may have the wrong court link? She's an expert!

ETA: I looked up the judge, Third District Judge Vernice Trease, and s/he is with the 3rd district court at Utah Courts - Searching District Court Records at the Courthouse

Searching District Court Records at the Courthouse
Public terminals for searching district court cases are available at most district court locations. Please contact the court directly to verify that you can access district court data via public terminals in that location.

Public terminals are also available at the State Law Library.

District court case records are also available through a web-based subscription service called XChange. [
Email a completed agreement to the Administrative Office of the Courts at aoccs@utcourts.gov. Please include the word XChange in the subject line to be sure your email is directed properly. After approving and setting up the account, we will reply via email with login and payment instructions (usually within 48 business hours).

There is an initial fee of $25.00 that is required to establish the account. The subscription fee for each month is $30.00 for up to 200 searches. After 200 searches in a month, the cost of a search is $0.10/search until the next billing cycle starts on the first of the next month. A search is defined as each time the user searches by a specific parameter, such as name, case number or other criteria. Documents are available in some cases. The cost of accessing a document is $0.50.]

Information on district court cases may also be obtained from a clerk in any district court location.

attention.gif
NOTE: In municipalities where justice courts exist, class B or C misdemeanors, infractions or small claims cases may be filed at the justice court. Please contact the justice court where the case was filed for information about those case types.

Last edited:
Boy @dixiegirl1035 - you did alot of searching! Thanks!

I've moved my notes on 3 cases to the appropriate months.

Here's what I have:
2018 sexual assault - late January - no date
MacKenzie's case - March 11 & 12.
child *advertiser censored* - late March - no date

and you are correct - I have mentioned in my notes "no access-must pay" to get into court site. Oh well - guess we have to rely on articles - or your reporter friends! (LOL!) Hope they get back to you - at least you know "what" dates I need now! :)

Also,

dixiegirl1035 said:
I just checked, but not sure the right court system. It is the Salt Lake court calendar at Court Calendar and it notes that the view only goes 30 days out. (The article did say LATE February iirc) I didn't find anything at the search link. I did contact a few of the reporters that have been covering the case to ask them. Since it is Sunday, they may not answer until Monday, if they do answer that is.

I bookmarked this Court Calendar, but when i click on it - it just twirls around & nothing comes up.... So maybe I'll put your name down in my notes to check this out? Is that okay with you? TIA if you can!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member