Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry folks, but LE has some s'plainin' to do on why they did not know this home was vacant. Please don't yell at me for saying this....but didn't the neighbors know the home was vacant? Did HD's mother know? Searching vacant homes is generally the first thing LE will do.

Surely if he had then after the initial access,he would have found an easier way to come and go than scaling the house to climb down the chimney,I mean that is a totally extreme method to access a house to begin with!

I agree but he's a 14 year old kid, the climb and entering the property that way might have been half the fun. His Mother mentioned he would often leave home and not return until the next morning, I bet you anything he had created a hideout at this place and this one time he climbed down and possibly had a fatal fall. His jacket could have been hung up in the house because this was his second visit of the day.

Sources say his body was found behind a wall, possibly inside the chimney of the home.

Investigators are still on scene gathering evidence. Sources added that a portion of the home’s wall was removed.

The house across the street from where the Dilly’s live is unoccupied and used as more of a vacation-type home.
I-Team: Body of 14-year-old Harley Dilly possibly found inside chimney

Thinking someone hid his body in the chimney. I know Harley seemed to be the type of kid that could innocently find trouble but I do think that kid was smart enough to know he cannot possible go down a chimney. You know how sometimes people will actually give neighbors keys to their houses thinking that they trust them. I mean just in case they are out of town and something happens. People do it all the time. What are the chances the Dilly's happened to have a key to their neighbors house to check on it now and then? Maybe the Dilly's knew these people that owned the home and even Harley could have know them. That could easily be hidden until they speak with the home owners and if anyone locally had a key to their house.

I would think that they'd have knocked on every door nearby Harley's house and questioned those neighbors. And when nobody answered at the unoccupied house, they'd have went back and tried again. And if nobody answered there again, then they'd follow up on that, too. Like try again until they get somebody or try to contact the owner. Apparently they had no trouble contacting the owner yesterday to get permission to search..

So, the explanation that LE didn't know until yesterday that it was unoccupied is ridiculous if they were doing actual police work trying to find Harley. I mean, what, did they just go "Welp, I guess those people aren't going to talk to us. Moving on!" after nobody answered the door there..?

my opinion only

Sorry folks, but LE has some s'plainin' to do on why they did not know this home was vacant. Please don't yell at me for saying this....but didn't the neighbors know the home was vacant? Did HD's mother know? Searching vacant homes is generally the first thing LE will do.

Odd that Harley's parents didn't consider and report the possibility Harley might be there, assuming they would at least have observed the place was generally unoccupied for long periods of time.

Last edited:
I agree but he's a 14 year old kid, the climb and entering the property that way might have been half the fun. His Mother mentioned he would often leave home and not return until the next morning, I bet you anything he had created a hideout at this place and this one time he climbed down and possibly had a fatal fall. His jacket could have been hung up in the house because this was his second visit of the day.

How did he get up there?
where’s the ladder?
Wouldn’t someone have noticed a ladder reaching up to the roof?
Maybe the lock box wasn’t locked. Maybe the police just tried the door & it opened?

I have a feeling we are never gonna get all the answers we need

It is possible he got inside by going down the chimney. I don't think he was stuck in the chimney (unless someone else was involved) because of his coat being inside. Maybe he had some scrapes or bruises from going down the chimney and that is what LE is investigating. If here was some blood, it could have come from that, or something much worse. This is a terribly tragic story. MOO

You know how sometimes people will actually give neighbors keys to their houses thinking that they trust them. I mean just in case they are out of town and something happens. People do it all the time. What are the chances the Dilly's happened to have a key to their neighbors house to check on it now and then? Maybe the Dilly's knew these people that owned the home and even Harley could have know them. That could easily be hidden until they speak with the home owners and if anyone locally had a key to their house.

Homeowners were interviewed by news and LE, stated no other persons had permission to be in or access to the home to their knowledge.

How did he get up there?
where’s the ladder?
Wouldn’t someone have noticed a ladder reaching up to the roof?
Maybe the lock box wasn’t locked. Maybe the police just tried the door & it opened?

I have a feeling we are never gonna get all the answers we need
The T.V. antenna makes a perfect ladder. MSM reported that the owner of the home gave permission for LE to enter. Lockboxes have a master key (by law)...so that emergency responders may enter

I find it highly unlikely he climbed up the outside of a house in the snow, then, bearing in mind he was fastidious about being clean, launched himself down a chimney. Nowhere in his history does it suggest he was prone to risk taking of this type.

Thinking someone hid his body in the chimney. I know Harley seemed to be the type of kid that could innocently find trouble but I do think that kid was smart enough to know he cannot possible go down a chimney. You know how sometimes people will actually give neighbors keys to their houses thinking that they trust them. I mean just in case they are out of town and something happens. People do it all the time. What are the chances the Dilly's happened to have a key to their neighbors house to check on it now and then? Maybe the Dilly's knew these people that owned the home and even Harley could have know them. That could easily be hidden until they speak with the home owners and if anyone locally had a key to their house.

Homeowner stated NO ONE had permission to be inside.

The T.V. antenna makes a perfect ladder. MSM reported that the owner of the home gave permission for LE to enter. Lockboxes have a master key (by law)...so that emergency responders may enter

Link to the law please? I find it hard to believe that is a real thing they can mandate people do on their own properties. I surely wouldn't be interested in leaving my home susceptible to burglaries by leaving a key there.

It is possible he got inside by going down the chimney. I don't think he was stuck in the chimney (unless someone else was involved) because of his coat being inside. Maybe he had some scrapes or bruises from going down the chimney and that is what LE is investigating. If here was some blood, it could have come from that, or something much worse. This is a terribly tragic story. MOO
We don't have verification that it was actually his coat. Do we?

I can’t understand how his jacket ended up on the second floor hanging on a door and his body stuck in the chimney.
These are not yet known facts.

One time I arrived to discover an envelope addressed to my husband and me at that address had been left in my doorway. (We did not provide our address in local phone book.)
I agree that is creepy! And while it's probably not related to your guy, I just wanted to point out that who owns what property is publicly available information. Nowadays most counties have it searchable online, but this information is typically available at each county's recorder's office.

Chimneys are fairly solid. At least the ones I've seen. It takes a lot of work to disassemble them to get someone out if stuck. And it would make a lot of noise. I can see punching through drywall.

Most chimneys have a flue to keep the rain out. You open it to when you start a fire, close it when done. But you can see straight up when the flue is open. I suppose some could have a grate to keep out animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz