Identified! CA - Delano, Hisp/Ntv Fem 59UFCA, 30-34, 'Shirley, Seattle' tattoo, Jul'80 - Shirley Ann Soosay

Both Namus and the ddp say she was of “uncertain race”. Does that mean they just don’t know whether she’s native american or hispanic (which have been given as 2 possibilities by other sources), or that other ethnicities/races are possible as well?

I know the DDP has taken on this case but I still wanted to share some missing persons’s files which I think could be a match:

1) Elizabeth Mary Byron (Namus)
Original

- Went missing in California in May 1978
- Has a larg scar on her right leg (I believe the mp had a scar on her left lef though)
- No mention of tattoos, but overall not a lot of information on her disappearance

2) Jacqueline Cooper (Namus)
Original

- Went missing on November 12th 1976 in California

Update from DDP:

"DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Kern County Jane Doe - California (1980)

Genealogical research is ongoing. She has about 60% Native American ancestry, and her DNA matches suggest recent Cree and Metis descent. Her admixture estimates are posted below.

Who was Kern County Jane Doe?
Kern County Jane Doe is an unidentified female of uncertain race who was found on July 14, 1980 in an almond orchard in Kern County between McFarland and Bakersfield, California. Having been sexually assaulted and stabbed, the manner of her death is considered homicide. She had shoulder length brown hair, brown eyes, and was 5′ 4″ tall and weighed 115 lbs. She had tattoos professionally “inked”. She may have been picked up at the now closed bar in Lemoore, CA called Ruby’s, about 75 miles from where she was found.

NamUs: UP14243
Date found: July 14, 1980
Race: Hispanic/Native American
Sex: Female
PMI: hours

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:

Dawn Ratliff, Coroner
Kern County Sheriff's Office
661-861-3110

Links to More Information:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Kern Co Jane Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases
59UFCA
Wilson Chouest - Wikipedia
Kern County and Ventura County Jane Doe may be closer than ever to being identified

Facial approximation image provided by Carl Koppelman.

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

Please continue to educate and advocate for transfers to Family Tree DNA and gedmatch.com opt-IN.

#DNADoeProject
#KernCountyJaneDoe
#KernCounty #California
#GEDmatchOptIn #OptIn "

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1563832341373.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563832341373.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 74
  • FB_IMG_1563832353172.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563832353172.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 67
Cree and Métis - was she from the Canadian Prairies?

I’d suggest Lori Lee Kasprick but the height is way out.

Could she be a member of the Puyallup Band of tribes or Ceilileo tribe? I do believe she most likely left her child with family or gave up for adoption. Shirley could be a daughter, given name or parent.

Both Namus and the ddp say she was of “uncertain race”. Does that mean they just don’t know whether she’s native american or hispanic (which have been given as 2 possibilities by other sources), or that other ethnicities/races are possible as well?
I have done some research (too many hours that I care to admit) and I just heavily lean towards Native American

Just wanted to share for people who have not viewed the Google sheet:

Becky has one high-level match at 103.1 cm, which is very good considering she is a minority. We should be seeing an identification sometime this year if there are no issues.

Quite a few people have Native American DNA in their ancestry but aren't members of any tribe. In my case, I don't even know where it could have come from--probably one of my maternal grandfather's maternal grandparents. I certainly don't claim to be "part Native American."

@Liv27, I'm trying to understand what those numbers mean. Hypothetically speaking--if this woman who would be roughly my age were to turn out to be related to me through that connection (shared great-great-grandparent), what number would that show up as? Am I correct that we'd be third cousins?

Quite a few people have Native American DNA in their ancestry but aren't members of any tribe. In my case, I don't even know where it could have come from--probably one of my maternal grandfather's maternal grandparents. I certainly don't claim to be "part Native American."

@Liv27, I'm trying to understand what those numbers mean. Hypothetically speaking--if this woman who would be roughly my age were to turn out to be related to me through that connection (shared great-great-grandparent), what number would that show up as? Am I correct that we'd be third cousins?
I think so. 103.1 cm is a really good match. The match is possibly a 2nd cousin.

Update and a call for action from the DDP:

"DNA Doe Project Case Update: Kern County Jane Doe – Kern County, California (1980)

This Jane Doe needs your help for better familial matches!

From the results of the genetic genealogy research, DDP has determined that Kern County Jane Doe is of Indigenous Canadian First Nations ancestry. At present, her closest identified ancestor is believed to be a Cree band member who lived near Hobbema (now known as Maskwascis), Alberta, Canada.

Kern County Jane Doe also appears to have ties to Indigenous ancestors in Saskatchewan and Manitoba, Canada as well as Montana, USA.

She has 5,837 matches in the Gedmatch database, of which only 1,035 (18%) are opted-in to law enforcement matching and are visible to researchers. The vast majority of these matches are very distant and difficult to leverage towards identification.

DNA tested individuals with similar ancestry are encouraged to upload their raw DNA data for free to Gedmatch.com and FTDNA.com and OPT-IN to matching to assist with this identification. Please share this post among your communities.

Links to more information on this case:
https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject/posts/2366306603628111
https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/14243
http://dnadoeproject.org/case/kern-co-jane-doe/
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/59ufca.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Chouest
https://www.kget.com/…/kern-county-and-ventura-…/1547382038…

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project.

As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

Please continue to educate and advocate for transfers to Family Tree DNA and gedmatch.comopt-INS.

For more information on the DNA Doe Project and our other cases, visit our website: http://dnadoeproject.org/

For more information and help on uploading to GEDmatch:
https://help.forensicgenealogytraining.org/

#DNADoeProject
#GEDmatchOptIN
#OptIN
#KernJaneDoe
#PinalCounty
#California
#LikeAndShare
#Ancestry
#Indigenous
#MMIW "

She looks so close to Marlene Abigosis from Alberta. She was known to travel to the states and use to visit Washington frequently. Only issue is it says Marlene was last seen on Jan 1st, 1984, but I wonder if it was just a guess as other reports say she went missing in the winter of 1983. I also found that they were unable to report her missing until 2002, so maybe dates were mixed up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200216-102051~2.png
    Screenshot_20200216-102051~2.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20200216-102427~2.png
    Screenshot_20200216-102427~2.png
    618.4 KB · Views: 27
The bigger the number, the closer the relationship?

As a rule of thumb:

About 3575 cM indicates a parent/child relationship, or a comparison of two samples from the same person. (Half-matches and full-matches are counted equally for purposes of tallying the cM count).

Full-Siblings will yield approximately 2750 cM. Grandparents/grandchildren, aunts/uncles/nieces/nephews, and half-siblings will yield about 1800-2000 cM.

First cousins will come in at about 900 cM

Second cousins will come up at about 250 cM. Third cousins will come up about 100cM.

The actual amounts can vary around these numbers, but these are typical readings.

Last edited:
I think so. 103.1 cm is a really good match. The match is possibly a 2nd cousin.

103.1 cM could be a second cousin, but more likely is a third cousin, or a 2nd Cousin once removed (2C1R) or first cousin twice removed (1C2R).

For those unfamiliar with the terminology - a 1C2R would be either the cousin of a grandparent or a grandchild of a cousin. A 2C1R would be either the child of a second cousin, or the second cousin of a parent. (Second cousins are persons who share common great-grandparents)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back