Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to today’s PC:
Watch: World Health Organization holds press conference on coronavirus outbreak

• World Health Organization officials are holding a news briefing Friday to update the public on the new coronavirus outbreak.

WHO says cases in China are slowing

The number of new coronavirus cases slowed in China for a second day, but it’s too early to celebrate, World Health Organization officials said at a news conference. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the fewer number of cases is “good news,” but cautioned the public not to read too much into the new data. “The numbers could go up again,” he told reporters. “As you know, epi curves can zig zag,” referring to a diagram that shows the distribution of cases over time.

Coronavirus live updates: Fed flags threat, WHO says new cases in China are slowing

Wonderful. The hospital they took these patients to is in the same city that I work.
:eek:

I just can’t understand the lack of exercising caution. (Looking at the global response.) Maybe there is overreaction in Japan and China (etc) - you know, hazmat suits, quarantining Cruise liners - and 50 million people.
but would it have been hard for the medics here to don a freaking mask?

My confidence in US preparedness just dropped a notch.

Stay healthy JerseyGirl. And all

Ship docked in New Jersey will delay its next trip

Royal Caribbean says it will delay one of its cruise ship's next departure by one day following a coronavirus scare on the boat.

The company said that its ship "Anthem of the Seas" will not depart until Saturday when they expect to "receive conclusive test results from CDC" for four passengers who were taken to the hospital Friday to be tested for coronavirus.

Coronavirus live updates: Outrage in China over death of whistleblower doctor - CNN

The Fed flags coronavirus as potential threat to US growth

The Federal Reserve on Friday announced that it’s now monitoring the coronavirus as a potential threat to U.S. growth. The central bank wrote that “possible spillovers from the effects of the coronavirus in China have presented a new risk to the outlook.

“Though recent reports have suggested steadier economic growth in Europe and China, the Fed warned the disease could “lead to disruptions in China that spill over to the rest of the global economy.”

Ummm, think it has for certain companies already. They are walking into it slowly as to giving notice of what to expect. The governments will continue to feed in money to buttress for a time, but the markets need to be prepared. China is sitting on their information right now on some stats.. but can only be for so long. I'm surprised that it's taken so long for them to announce, but financial markets collapsing is something the entire world wants to avoid MOO

But would they not risk re-infection if sent back into the streets in Wuhan? I read a few things that said the possible virus mutations could make people susceptible to re-infection.

Not known yet, and serology etc is a biggie next week for the WHO 2-day conference. Usually, in the beginning, not only are they safe but their serum, rich with anitbodies against the virus, can help others. Doubt they will do this like they did with Ebola in US. It's prohibitively $$$$$.

Remember, CDC said yesterday serology is high on list as to investigation.

MOO

Sick passengers on board New Jersey bound cruise ship will be tested for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

...The Anthem Of The Seas docked in Bayonne, New Jersey around 6am on Friday morning, after steaming from the Bahamas with 27 Chinese nationals held in 'isolation' in one of the ship's restaurants.

Four of the Chinese passengers, who had traveled
to the cruise directly from China, were rushed off the ship for testing for coronavirus. At least one was carried on a stretcher by medics who were not wearing masks or other protective garments, aside from gloves.

Whiskey. Tango...?! Okay...

Pictures:

OEVEFYYB4JELBISMCB24KW2ZBY.jpg
GQQRSTVTQ5HCFLKFR7DJ6FKWPQ.jpg

E3BLSC5UQ5ANRH4PRZJXBBSM3U.jpg
QHXBNVOTDZD7FFHCEQJQ2JI7VU.jpg

It appears that some port police and a dock worker are wearing masks, but the ambulance personnel, the possibly infected person, and passengers waiting for virus screening are NOT. Which means that the passengers that showed signs of coronavirus (or at the very least, the FLU) are arriving at the hospital WITHOUT MASKS.

Coronavirus screening on cruise ship docked in N.J. sends 4 to hospital for evaluation

Last edited:
“Are you concerned that China is covering up the full extent of the coronavirus?” a reporter asked Trump on the White House south lawn today.

"No, China’s working very hard. Late last night I had a very good talk with President Xi and mostly we talked about the coronavirus. They’re working really hard and I think they’re doing a very professional job. They’re in touch with … (the World Health Organization), CDC also."

Coronavirus live updates: Outrage in China over death of whistleblower doctor - CNN

Pictures:

From some of the pictures, it appears that some port police and a dock worker are wearing masks, but the ambulance personnel, the possible infected person, and passengers waiting for virus screening are NOT.

Coronavirus screening on cruise ship docked in N.J. sends 4 to hospital for evaluation

Of all the people who should know better. :mad::eek:

Well, if the genie is out of the bottle...
I guess we all get to just wait and see...

On another note the tributes to Dr. Li continues and his family have have been paid £90,000 after Beijing ruled his death a 'work place injury' following outpourings of grief and fury on social media for the whistle-blower. Chinese blast Communist party for covering up the death of coronavirus whistle-blower doctor | Daily Mail Online

Attachments

• BDD170F8-99ED-45C0-B281-7488C2CD60E8.jpeg
    BDD170F8-99ED-45C0-B281-7488C2CD60E8.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 9
Both Illinois coronavirus patients discharged from hospital

Two coronavirus patients, a husband and wife in their 60s, who were being treated in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, have been discharged from the hospital. They are now in isolation at their home, allowed back at their home last night.

The woman was Illinois’ first confirmed travel-associated case and was diagnosed after returning from Wuhan, China. The husband, who did not travel to China, was the first confirmed case of person-to-person transmission of the virus in the United States.

Russian media hint at US coronavirus conspiracy

One of the wilder ideas aired by Vremya (a Russian news station) is that the presence of the word "corona", which means crown in both Latin and Russian, in the word coronavirus hints that Donald Trump is somehow involved. Apparently, this is because he used to preside over beauty pageants, handing the winners their crowns. In fact, scientists named the virus because of of its crown-like shape, but Vremya's presenter warns against rejecting the idea all too soon. "Utter nonsense, you'll say, and I'd agree with you, if it were not for what's in our correspondent's report," he says.

The subsequent video does admit the crown theory is a "strange construct", but uncritically presents an expert who says that the Chinese coronavirus strain has been artificially created, and that US intelligence agencies or American pharmaceutical companies are behind it.

Away from the TV screens, the coronavirus outbreak appears to be causing serious concern among Russian officials.

Rail and air traffic to China have been curtailed, and Russians evacuated from China have been quarantined for two weeks in a Siberian sanatorium.

A church in Moscow has even held a service to pray for salvation from the coronavirus.

Fear of the virus appears to reach all the way to the top. Russian daily Vedomosti reports that Kremlin has introduced temperature checks for those attending events with President Vladimir Putin, in what spokesman Dmitry Peskov has called a "precautionary measure".

This makes me feel awful. I have a local Chinese restaurant that I go to or order from several times a month. I have not done so ever since this virus situation hit the news. My husband and sister are adamant about avoiding it since the owners and workers are all from China. I have severe asthma which makes me anxious about catching anything. However, I feel for this local business and it’s owners/workers who are such nice people. Is it ridiculous to avoid this place? I am torn

I have asthma too and am overly cautious. The flu can kill us. This has a lower death rate I believe than the flu? but still..

I have eaten at asian restaurants on a couple occasions. I didn’t think about it.

As long as you’re not eating in China, you’re good. Because the people working at American restaurants live here. They aren’t jet setting back and forth to mainland China. No reason to. And there’s a ban on anyone coming here who has visited China in the last two weeks.

I have a co-worker in the Philippines right now and one heading to Indonesia next month. If it starts spreading there it’s going to be hard not to panic. My boss is flying four times later this month too.

Wth? Why?
Sick passengers on board New Jersey bound cruise ship will be tested for coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

...The Anthem Of The Seas docked in Bayonne, New Jersey around 6am on Friday morning, after steaming from the Bahamas with 27 Chinese nationals held in 'isolation' in one of the ship's restaurants.

Four of the Chinese passengers, who had traveled
to the cruise directly from China, were rushed off the ship for testing for coronavirus. At least one was carried on a stretcher by medics who were not wearing masks or other protective garments, aside from gloves.

Whiskey. Tango...?! Okay...
giphy.gif
Pictures:

It appears that some port police and a dock worker are wearing masks, but the ambulance personnel, the possibly infected person, and passengers waiting for virus screening are NOT. Which means that the passengers that showed signs of coronavirus (or at the very least, the FLU) are arriving at the hospital WITHOUT MASKS.

@JerseyGirl and Gitana and others... hope this helps to prevent incorrect info/misleading info

I contacted the company and this was their quoted response through their Facebook account.(McCabe ambulance, easily identified through FB)

'Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the media doesn't always do us favors .

In an effort to quell some of the misleading social media posting regarding our response to the Anthem of The Seas this morning, we offer the following.

Although video and images captured from the scene displayed personnel moving patients without masks (Personal Protective Equipment), it should be known that in addition to the individuals transported for screening, there were four additional patients removed from the vessel with medical conditions unrelated to Novel coronavirus.

The individuals removed for screening were removed by personnel in full CDC recommended PPE, including masks for the patients, masks for the providers, as well as eye protection and gowns. We worked seamlessly with our counterparts from the CDC, PA NY/NJ, CBP and the DOH to ensure the safety of all providers and patients."

I personally, do not doubt their explanation.

ETA: I received another FB message from them and they are attempting to have the media outlet correct. (Good luck with that harrumph)

Last edited:
A couple tips I have heard, BTW, besides washing ones hands in order to avoid viruses:

Gargle each night for 30 seconds with an alcohol based or saline mouthwash. Make sure you’re letting it hit the back of your throat.

Take Q-tips and swab them in alcohol-based mouth wash and swab the insides of each nostril (using a different Q-tip for each nose).

4 Surprising Things That Help Ward Off Cold and Flu Bugs (Bet You've Never Tried These!)

But I’m not a doctor. And the q-tips could maybe inflame nasal passages if done daily? I only do that when I’ve been around someone coughing or sneezing.

They also have those Zicam nose swabs though which are soothing to me and I think I’ve successfully used them to prevent viruses or lessen the symptoms in the past.

In the meantime, as we panic about the corona virus:

“...at least 19 million people in the U.S. have experienced flu illnesses this season, the CDC estimates. About 180,000 people have been hospitalized so far, and an estimated 10,000 have died. Sixty-eight children have died this flu season.

As the world focuses on coronavirus, a deadly flu has killed at least 10,000 Americans

And yet no calls to quarantine people with the flu. AND we have people aggressively trying to prevent people from getting the flu vaccine.

Regarding Anthem at the Seas in Bayonne, NJ:

"This morning, personnel from the @CDCgov boarded a cruise ship docked in Bayonne and screened 27 passengers who recently traveled from mainland China," tweeted NJ Gov. Phil Murphy. "23 of those passengers were cleared and four individuals are being evaluated at an area hospital."

A passenger who said he was among those quarantined said that 15 people were held in a kitchen while their temperatures were taken. They were asked how long it had been since they had been to China and if they had been there within the last two weeks.

"I live in the UK, " said Jin Yan. "I have not lived in China for the last three years. We were isolated in one of the restaurants on the ship with other Chinese together, but it actually put me at risk because I haven't been to China for the last month. The passengers that had been to China may be infected me as well."

Royal Caribbean imposes ban following coronavirus scare

Royal Caribbean bans Chinese passport-holders from its ships

After four guests on one of its ships were hospitalized to be tested for the new coronavirus, Royal Caribbean announced it is banning all Chinese passport-holders from its ships.

“Any guests holding a Chinese, Hong Kong, or Macau passport, regardless of when they were there last, will not be allowed to board our ships,” the company said. “Regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, or Macau less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa