Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Guys, I read the scary /Gory /Horrifying crime stuff on this site every day , and I can honestly say THIS is what scares me the most . YES I see a uncontrollable Pandemic in the near future and the only way this will scare me worse is if this thing turns into the walking dead zombie virus, But I think its going to be way worse than anyone realizes now.

Japan won't test every passenger on quarantined cruise ship

Japan’s health authorities will not test all of the passengers and crew of the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Yokohama, Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said today.

Here's why: Suga said it would be too difficult to test everyone for the virus but that “the government provides necessary information to ensure the good health and safety of the passengers and crew members on the ship as a top priority.”

Suga says authorities are testing samples of people who have fever, those over 80 and feel ill, as well as those who had close contact with infected passengers.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Virus kills 97 people in China in one day, while cruise ship cases almost double - CNN

Taiwan and South Korea introduce further travel bans and restrictions

Taiwan will ban most people traveling from Hong Kong and Macao starting tomorrow, Taiwan’s Mainland Affairs Council said in a statement on Monday.

Exceptions will be made for business travelers, “internal transfers of multinational companies” and spouses and minors of those holding residence permits. Other travelers, even those with valid entry and exit permits, including students, will be barred from entering Taiwan.

People who previously entered Taiwan from Hong Kong and Macao must undergo quarantine at home for 14 days, as per previously implemented restrictions.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Virus kills 97 people in China in one day, while cruise ship cases almost double - CNN

South Korea will temporarily suspend entry to cruise ships amid the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. Cruise ships docking for purposes without people getting off, such as refueling and stocking up supplies, will still be allowed.

Two cruise ships scheduled to arrive in Busan tomorrow and on Wednesday have been canceled, as well as two others scheduled to arrive later in February.

Japan won't test every passenger on quarantined cruise ship

Japan’s health authorities will not test all of the passengers and crew of the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Yokohama, Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said today.

Here's why: Suga said it would be too difficult to test everyone for the virus but that “the government provides necessary information to ensure the good health and safety of the passengers and crew members on the ship as a top priority.”

Suga says authorities are testing samples of people who have fever, those over 80 and feel ill, as well as those who had close contact with infected passengers.

What?!

After being turned away by three countries, the Westerdam will finally dock on Thursday

The Westerdam cruise ship -- which has more than 2,000 people on board -- will dock this Thursday. Passengers will be allowed to disembark the ship at Laem Chabang, which is around 50 miles from Bangkok. It was previously denied entry to Japan, the Philippines and Taiwan as countries closed their ports to cruise ships over coronavirus fears.

The vessel, operated by Holland America, was scheduled to end its itinerary in Yokohama, Japan, on February 15, but was refused entry at any Japanese port despite having no confirmed cases of the coronavirus on board.

Airbnb stops all Beijing bookings as coronavirus fears grow

Airbnb has suspended bookings in China’s capital with check-in dates from Feb. 7 to Feb. 29 in light of local authorities’ guidance “during this public health emergency,” it said in a statement Monday.

Chinese home-rental platform Xiaozhu will also cease in Beijing for this month and give refunds for existing bookings, Bloomberg News reported.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/airbnb-stops-all-beijing-bookings-as-coronavirus-fears-grow/

Women's Golf World Championship canceled due to coronavirus fears

The HSBC Women's Golf World Championship scheduled to be held in Singapore from February 27 to March 1 has been canceled, with organizers citing "continued health concerns."

The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) said in a statement on Monday, "the health and safety of our players, fans and everyone working at the event is always our highest priority."

The 2020 Honda LPGA Thailand tournament scheduled for February 20-23 will also be canceled, the LPGA added.

Watch: World Health Organization holds press conference on coronavirus outbreak

[The stream is slated to start at 10:00 a.m. ET. ]

___

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
✔@DrTedros

There’ve been some concerning instances of onward #2019nCoV spread from people with no travel history to
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
. The detection of a small number of cases may indicate more widespread transmission in other countries; in short, we may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Snippets from interesting article, imo.
Coronavirus: China mainly interested in 'safeguarding the regime' | DW | 08.02.2020

''Unlike the first two crises, the internet has allowed information about the epidemic to be shared very quickly and widely, which exacerbates the level of challenge that the Chinese government has to deal with. Even though Beijing tries to censor online discussion about the coronavirus epidemic, they still can't achieve a total blackout. Chinese people already know most of the facts about the epidemic. Even many Chinese officials probably know that they are lying about the epidemic.''

''Additionally, most people in China are still afraid of dying from the coronavirus, so they would rather stay at home than taking it to the street at a time like this. The Chinese government is taking advantage of this and imposing strict control over road traffic and other aspects of people's everyday life. I think the Chinese government is using this epidemic to strengthen its control over society.''

''If we take a look at the people in charge of leading the efforts to contain the virus outbreak, it is obvious that none of them has any expertise in public health. This is an "amateur" team trying to give orders to a group of public health experts, and their real function is not to contain the virus, but to maintain social stability in China.''

''From the perspective of enforcing censorship, the taskforce has done a brilliant job. CCTV has been broadcasting how developing countries are "praising" China's efforts to contain the epidemic. However, since these are all countries that have taken huge amounts of loans from China, they are paying China back by praising its behaviors unconditionally.''
Excellent article!

"The most important thing to the Chinese Communist Party is to safeguard its regime."

I don't see how they are bringing food in a timely manor to 3700 people , much less being able to test that many! What a horrible place to be stuck !
According to one report crew members are delivering not only food and beverages but also board games and exercise equipment to passenger rooms. Can’t imagine how that is being accomplished, and it seems that passengers will be exposed to the virus by crew members going from cabin to cabin.

U.K. calls virus 'serious' health threat

Britain has declared the new coronavirus a "serious and imminent threat to public health'' and announced new measures to combat the spread of the disease, that people with the virus can now be forcibly quarantined and will not be free to leave.

It named two British hospitals as isolation facilities for those affected by the disease and designated the Chinese city of Wuhan and the surrounding Hubei province where the virus is believed to have first emerged as a “infected area.”

Coronavirus updates: 65 more cases on quarantined cruise ship off Japan

OK Guys, I read the scary /Gory /Horrifying crime stuff on this site every day , and I can honestly say THIS is what scares me the most . YES I see a uncontrollable Pandemic in the near future and the only way this will scare me worse is if this thing turns into the walking dead zombie virus, But I think its going to be way worse than anyone realizes now.

You know I think if it was we would have way more instances of the disease outside china’s borders than we do. Seems it will probably be more like what happened with SARS. I hope.

Good point that it would be in the Government's best interest to make sure the locked up ones are being fed to prevent further chaos. I just hope they are keeping good track of who they have bolted doors shut on.

I recently locked myself out of my house, and it took me 2 hours to first figure out a way and then accomplish a break in with the least amount of damage. It was much harder than I thought. I could have broken a window and it would have been easier but I decided to work on the door that I knew only had 1 door knob button locked. It wasnt dead bolted and only had the door knob locked where it wouldnt turn. I couldnt use the credit card trick because the thing that slides into the door jam was facing the wrong way. So I finally was able to hammer drive 3 large screw drivers directly into that metal part that slides into the door jam. By sheer force and the screw drivers blew the metal part out the other side of the door jam, it finally allowed me to force the door open. The damage was pretty extensive but at least limited to door jam and door frame.

I think some of the elderly would not have the physical ability to break out if they were starving. A lot of them were on upper floors so breaking a window would not help them to get out. I guess they could try to scream for help but probably not a lot of people on the street since all are supposed to be on lockdown. And if they are way up in the apartments then their voice could not carry to street level.
The thing that would concern me most about people locked and blocked in their homes, is the threat of fire and the inability to escape from the fire.

On a different note, concerning food (i have always been sensitive to this) but maybe the practice of everyone sticking their forks and/or chopsticks into the same dish of food, should be strongly discouraged. imo, speculation.

OMG. Twitter has a video of a diabetic on the stranded ship off Japan. He says passengers are not receiving food because there's a concern it could be the source of the virus. What is going to happen to these people on board?

Iirc, the British man David Abel is a diabetic. I saw a video last night that said he hadn’t had any food for 16 hours approx. The video stayed they were trying to get food and medical supplies to the ship.

Well said, and very short and too the point.

Japan has more than enough healthcare resources to test everyone on board to exacting standards. Cambodia, would be a different story.

Color me cynical cinnamon, but I bet all Japanese passengers will be fully tested as will the very small number of people with Japanese residency permits. As the rest will probably be slated for quick bus trips to isolated boarding gates and very quick flights home, they can remain untested as they will be somebody else’s problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner