Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT: It helps to keep hydrated, but don't wait until you travel. Start drinking plenty of water now. And on the flight, drink bottled water. Keep drinking while traveling to keep hydrated for your flight home too.

Safe travels to you. And happy birthday to your father-in-law.

Yes but imo you don’t want to have to be using the airplane and airport bathrooms. Moo. I’d be cutting my liquids personally during the travel time just so I don’t have to pee, JMO. Honestly I’d be wearing a “Depends”.

You know I think if it was we would have way more instances of the disease outside china’s borders than we do. Seems it will probably be more like what happened with SARS. I hope.

I hope too , this is just so contagious I just hope humans can handle the other issues that go along with this .
Yes but imo you don’t want to have to be using the airplane and airport bathrooms. Moo. I’d be cutting my liquids personally during the travel time just so I don’t have to pee, JMO. Honestly I’d be wearing a “Depends”.
Yes its small things like this no one thinks of at the time , I think China is just sugar coating this and its way worse than what they are saying , I honestly think its out of hand , I've been eating out the last week or so because I have this fear that in a few months It will be a really bad idea, and I'm going to have to cook all the time ( I know I sound totally paranoid)

This video from 9 News in Australia claims there are 5,123 suspected cases in India (at 2:29)

Has anyone seen support for that information elsewhere? It's Alarming!

Last I saw there were high numbers “under investigation”, but I haven’t seen anything other than the 3 confirmed cases, but I haven’t checked the latest stats.

The ship delayed in New Jersey after coronavirus scare will set sail again today

Royal Caribbean updated their itinerary on Monday to include Bermuda as the only port of call on the trip.

"Arriving travelers will undergo a travel risk assessment by a Health Officer and could have their health monitored and movement on island restricted for up to 14 days," the Government of Bermuda says.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Virus kills 97 people in China in one day, while cruise ship cases almost double - CNN

IMO, this may be the beginning of things to really start changing in a number of ways.

First, I’m hoping to see a rise in domestic production and manufacturing.

Secondly, I’m thinking that finally Communism might start to be on its way out with the people “wanting freedom of speech”.

I saw on a news video that the hashtag “I want freedom of speech” that was circulating after Dr. LW’s death was viewed 2 million times before it was taken down.

Last I saw there were high numbers “under investigation”, but I haven’t seen anything other than the 3 confirmed cases, but I haven’t checked the latest stats.

In India:

"As of now 1818 flights and 197,192 passengers were screened so far at 21 Airports. The Ministry is extending all the possible support to the states and Union Territories in order to combat the situation arise due to novel Coronavirus," said the MOHFW in a statement.

9,452 persons are presently under community surveillance in 32 states and UTs, the Ministry said adding that the containment and prevention activities are being taken up on utmost priority.

1,510 samples have been tested and 1,507 of them were found negative except for 3 samples which had tested positive already from Kerala.

Coronavirus: 9,452 persons under surveillance in India

The ship delayed in New Jersey after coronavirus scare will set sail again today

Royal Caribbean updated their itinerary on Monday to include Bermuda as the only port of call on the trip.

"Arriving travelers will undergo a travel risk assessment by a Health Officer and could have their health monitored and movement on island restricted for up to 14 days," the Government of Bermuda says.

Coronavirus news and live updates: Virus kills 97 people in China in one day, while cruise ship cases almost double - CNN

Bermuda is in the opposite direction of the Caribbean, but speaking of the Royal “Caribbean”, just noting that there are many undeveloped infrastructures there, moo. We saw the Bahamas decimated and obliterated in the last hurricane. Puerto Rico has also had issues, etc. There is a lot of poverty, etc., in countries like Jamaica.

Here is an interesting study done for a set of patients that were already in the hospital for the virus. 26% are in ICU and 4.3% died. Wow.

Question What are the clinical characteristics of hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)–infected pneumonia (NCIP) in Wuhan, China?

Findings In this single-center case series involving 138 patients with NCIP, 26% of patients required admission to the intensive care unit and 4.3% died. Presumed human-to-human hospital-associated transmission of 2019-nCoV was suspected in 41% of patients.

Meaning In this case series in Wuhan, China, NCIP was frequently associated with presumed hospital-related transmission, 26% of patients required intensive care unit treatment, and mortality was 4.3%.

Clinical Characteristics of Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)–Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China

41% of the cases were hospital-acquired infections! That is just staggering!

"Presumed Hospital-Related Transmission and Infection
Of the 138 patients, 57 (41.3%) were presumed to have been infected in hospital, including 17 patients (12.3%) who were already hospitalized for other reasons and 40 health care workers (29%). Of the hospitalized patients, 7 patients were from the surgical department, 5 were from internal medicine, and 5 were from the oncology department. Of the infected health care workers, 31 (77.5%) worked on general wards, 7 (17.5%) in the emergency department, and 2 (5%) in the ICU. One patient in the current study presented with abdominal symptoms and was admitted to the surgical department. More than 10 health care workers in this department were presumed to have been infected by this patient. Patient-to-patient transmission also was presumed to have occurred, and at least 4 hospitalized patients in the same ward were infected, and all presented with atypical abdominal symptoms. One of the 4 patients had fever and was diagnosed as having nCoV infection during hospitalization. Then, the patient was isolated. Subsequently, the other 3 patients in the same ward had fever, presented with abdominal symptoms, and were diagnosed as having nCoV infection."

We are talking India, where the street is a toilet half the time if it starts spreading there we are in worse trouble , I know tons of people that go back and forth from India all the time, it has to be more common than going to China, right ?

Standards of cleanliness in China in general are far below what we are used to here in the US. From communal “squat toilets” which are often just holes in the floor to meat markets where wild animals, birds, mice, and fish and slaughtered and sold.

General hygiene practices are less as well. Restaurants are often dirty and homes are frequently dirtier. Hand washing often isn’t regularly practiced.

I don't see how they are bringing food in a timely manor to 3700 people , much less being able to test that many! What a horrible place to be stuck !

As much as I enjoy cruising, I could not spend several weeks or months on a ship like some folks do. I'm good for about 10 nights, then I want to get off the ship, get home, and enjoy the comfort and spaciousness of my own surroundings. I cannot imagine being cooped up in a stateroom for days or weeks without being able to move about the rest of the ship. At least those passengers who have balconies can get fresh air, and even a small balcony is better than none at all.

As you mentioned, I don't know how food service is being expedited, and I also wonder if bed linens and towels are being changed regularly. I sincerely hope that the cruise ships that have been plagued with Coronavirus will be taken out of service following this ordeal and that they will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before future passengers embark.

Bermuda is in the opposite direction of the Caribbean, but speaking of the Royal “Caribbean”, just noting that there are many undeveloped infrastructures there, moo. We saw the Bahamas decimated and obliterated in the last hurricane. Puerto Rico has also had issues, etc. There is a lot of poverty, etc., in countries like Jamaica.

Bermuda is the closest "warm island" from New York, although February is warmer in the Bahamas than Bermuda. During hurricane season in the Carribean, most cruise lines will change the cruise from Caribbean to Canadian. Luckily, these people are at least going someplace away from the cold.

Not drinking and not using the bathroom? Sorry, but that is unhealthy. If people are that scared about travel within USA, they need to stay home where they are not so stressed. Restricting bodily functions is not a good idea.

jmo

This is how they track people possibly exposed to the virus in Singapore, wondering what kind of "tracking" system they might use in China..

China looks like they may be using QR codes as one method of tracking (past and present) for whereabouts....

In Beijing, coronavirus 2019-nCoV has created a siege mentality
BMJ 2020; 368 doi: In Beijing, coronavirus 2019-nCoV has created a siege mentality (Published 07 February 2020)

"Back in Beijing, the hutong alleys were plastered with notices: “If you are coming back into the city after New Year, report yourself to the local neighbourhood committee. Keep an eye on your temperature. Avoid public gatherings.” By day 3 of the crisis they included a scannable QR code to upload your recent whereabouts. These instructions were followed up by door-to-door inspection rounds."
(BBM)

41% of the cases were hospital-acquired infections! That is just staggering!

"Presumed Hospital-Related Transmission and Infection
Of the 138 patients, 57 (41.3%) were presumed to have been infected in hospital, including 17 patients (12.3%) who were already hospitalized for other reasons and 40 health care workers (29%). Of the hospitalized patients, 7 patients were from the surgical department, 5 were from internal medicine, and 5 were from the oncology department. Of the infected health care workers, 31 (77.5%) worked on general wards, 7 (17.5%) in the emergency department, and 2 (5%) in the ICU. One patient in the current study presented with abdominal symptoms and was admitted to the surgical department. More than 10 health care workers in this department were presumed to have been infected by this patient. Patient-to-patient transmission also was presumed to have occurred, and at least 4 hospitalized patients in the same ward were infected, and all presented with atypical abdominal symptoms. One of the 4 patients had fever and was diagnosed as having nCoV infection during hospitalization. Then, the patient was isolated. Subsequently, the other 3 patients in the same ward had fever, presented with abdominal symptoms, and were diagnosed as having nCoV infection."

Man....

Yeah I’m guessing this is happening a lot, especially in the “quarantine” centers. In one of Chen Q’s videos, (before he disappeared obviously), he recorded a new quarantine center and then consulted with a medical expert re: the footage from the facility. The expert expressed strong concern that there are not isolation rooms, and mentioned that facility is not ideal for a quarantine situation. He expressed concern that both “suspected and confirmed cases” are all thrown in together.

Which reminds me, how on earth are these people in China in quarantine in mass quantities and shared spaces supposed to get better or test negative if they’re all thrown in together? I’m guessing people throwing in quarantine who may be negative could contract the virus this way, for example Chen Q. Let’s hope he gets through this safely. Maybe someone here with a medical background can touch on this further.

This is how they track people possibly exposed to the virus in Singapore, wondering what kind of "tracking" system they might use in China..
Coronavirus: How contact tracers track down the people at risk of infection
by Salma Khalik
Feb 9 2020
''Dr Olivia Oh, assistant director in the Communicable Diseases Division of the Ministry of Health (MOH), said the hospital where the patient is warded would do an activity map - this refers to everything the patient has done and the people he has been with over the previous two weeks.

Her colleague, Mr Pream Raj, also an assistant director in the division, added: "The mapping is detailed, 24 hours, minute by minute, with no gaps."

If there are gaps, then the contact tracing team would call a patient to try and jog his memory. And if the patient is too sick, they would approach his next of kin instead.''
tracing-coronavirus-090220-onlinenew.jpg

He said although 14 days may seem like a long time ago, most people have routines, so it is not that difficult to recall what they had been doing.

If they had meals with people, and because of Chinese New Year many did, they need to remember who was there. If it was at a restaurant, they need to recall if any of the serving staff spent much time with them, or if the contact was casual.

For the 17 patients from China who were confirmed with the virus here, Dr Oh said they would start the contact tracing from the time they arrived in Singapore, assuming that they had caught the virus while still in China.

They would get the list of passengers sitting in the same row, as well as two rows in front and two rows behind the patient, from the airline, and get in touch with them.

Mr Raj said the airlines, taxi companies and Grab, since quite a number of the visitors use that service, have all been very cooperative - they are obliged to provide all information required under the Infectious Diseases Act.

Sometimes, patients have no taxi receipt, remembering only that they were in a blue cab. The contact tracers would go through the closed circuit television footage at the hotel driveway to identify the taxi.''

Speaking of “tracking”, I saw on the Korean news video that re: home isolation, GPS tracking bracelets are used.

Last edited:

Gosh. I hope the people of Bermuda dont have a breakout since cruise ships like this one will be visiting.

I think some governments like Bermuda are starting to realize that they cant keep shutting down everything because nobody is able to make any money. So for a place like Bermuda that relies heavily on the travel industry, they have pressure to allow tourists and cruise ships in or their whole economy would shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500