Found Deceased HI - Megan Funderburk, 24, from Oregon, Hilo, 9 Feb 2020

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Hawaiʻi Island Police are searching for a 24-year-old Oregon woman who was reported missing.

Megan May Funderburk was last seen in Hilo on (February 9) in the area of the Wainaku Scenic Point.

She is described as being 5-feet-9-inches, 117 pounds with hazel eyes and blond hair, a tattoo of the Star of David on her chest, and was last seen wearing a gray long-sleeved cut-off top and unknown color pants

Police ask anyone with information on his whereabouts to call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at (808) 935-3311.

Megan-May-FUNDERBURK.jpg

02-12-20 Missing person: Megan May Funderburk

Oregon woman reported missing on Big Island of Hawaii

Was Megan taking a vacation? For how long?

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/02/14...shares-new-details-surrounding-disappearance/

David Funderburk, Megan’s father, said she was with her boyfriend, Michael Broan, at the location around 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 9. An argument ensued when Megan allegedly found out Broan intended to purchase drugs from an unknown third party set to meet the couple there. It was at that point Megan exited the vehicle, and Broan departed. All this information was provided to Megan’s father by Broan himself, David said.

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/02/14...shares-new-details-surrounding-disappearance/

David Funderburk, Megan’s father, said she was with her boyfriend, Michael Broan, at the location around 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 9. An argument ensued when Megan allegedly found out Broan intended to purchase drugs from an unknown third party set to meet the couple there. It was at that point Megan exited the vehicle, and Broan departed. All this information was provided to Megan’s father by Broan himself, David said.
Oh dear. That doesn't sound good at all. MOO

Also from the article:

[...]

A civilian passerby later found Megan’s phone in the same general vicinity where she allegedly exited her boyfriend’s car. Search teams on Monday found one of her shoes and a shawl she’d been wearing, also near the spot she was last seen.

[...]

Chris Berquist, a volunteer search and rescue leader ... said the details of Megan’s disappearance point in a clear direction.

“The only indication is that the point of last contact is not an area where you would get lost,” said Berquist, adding the terrain is rugged but the area is small. “I can’t speak to any evidence or police hypotheses, but from hard data … this is not a lost hiker. This is a misplaced person.”

[...]

“Megan may be mentally shaken up, and she was losing sleep over this information,” David said. “I could tell talking to her she wasn’t all there, so she definitely might be out of it or disoriented or just not there. There’s a possibility that if she was abducted, that hopefully she escaped and she might be hiding out in the woods in total fear.”

[...]

The information from that article does not sound hopeful for Megan--an argument with her boyfriend, and possible drug involvement, right before she went missing. I hope Megan can be found.

Megan's family has posted a public post on Megan's FB page (Feb 11, 2020), with more info in the comments and replies. Although we can't quote or comment on this info, it is informative, and ominous.

Missing: Megan May Funderburk

From this article:

"24-year-old Megan May Funderburk was last seen in Hilo on February 9 near Wainaku scenic point.

Two days later, a woman went to the police station to report Megan missing after she had been contacted by Began’s boyfriend."

BBM Two days later?? She was reported missing by someone other than the last person who saw her?

MOO but I think we know what happened . Very, very sad.

Two bodies found in the same area!

28-year-old Isaac Wessel-Rivera and 24-year-old Megan May Funderburk were both found dead there within 24 hours of each other.

Big Island police asking for public's help after two bodies found in same Hilo area
From article:

“Hawaii Island Police took a 32-year-old Hilo man in for questioning. We are not releasing his name as he has not been charged.”

Wow! So could be a double murder, a murder/suicide, an accident, or what? We don’t have much details yet.

This article says: “Foul play is not suspected at this time, police said. An autopsy will be performed next week to determine the woman’s exact cause of death.”Body found in an area where Hawaii Island woman went missing

So accident???
Wonder who the man is they questioned?

Just an observation, her fave band was also Jen's of the "Hart Tribe" fave band, and there is an Oregon connection. Just odd coincidences. My takeaway from this odd coincidence is that when I'm sleuthing, to try to make realistic connections and be able to determine what is a bizarre coincidence and what is valuable to a case. MOO.

Does anyone really believe she fell off this cliff by accident when her belongings seemed to be scattered in the area...? MOO but I'm not buying it.
I'm skeptical. I think it is highly suspicious that the last person to see her left the state and checked into rehab right away. I will not be surprised if this other body is the 3rd person they were there to meet. For now it is equally possible he died trying to save her, they both jumped/fell or were pushed IMO. This is a very sad case, she had so many hopes and dreams.

JMO family publicly speculating how she died is an odd thing to do, but my guess is someone in LE told them it appears she fell and they are clinging to it.

I'm skeptical. I think it is highly suspicious that the last person to see her left the state and checked into rehab right away. I will not be surprised if this other body is the 3rd person they were there to meet. For now it is equally possible he died trying to save her, they both jumped/fell or were pushed IMO. This is a very sad case, she had so many hopes and dreams.

JMO family publicly speculating how she died is an odd thing to do, but my guess is someone in LE told them it appears she fell and they are clinging to it.
I don't know if they will run a tox screen but since her boyfriend checked into rehab, it's possible both of them were using recreational drugs and she could have been under the influence at the time of the fall. It's not fair to the family for me to speculate further as that's just my opinion. LE may or may not run the tox screen, and if so it's usually not posted publically. May she rest in peace.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back