Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

JAN 29, 2020
Police haven't ruled out foul play in case of missing Des Moines teen
The Des Moines Police Department announced Wednesday it isn't ruling out foul play in the case of Abdullahi Sharif, a missing Des Moines teen.

[...]

"I've had people say to me: 'He's an adult. What if he just decided to leave?' Well, if he's an adult and decided to leave, that's OK, but there is nothing here to indicate that's what happened," said Sgt. Paul Parizek, with Des Moines police.

[...]

Police have called this case baffling. They've spent hundreds of hours on it and still can't locate video footage of Sharif after he left Target.

"We keep checking back to see if (Sharif's phone) powers on," Parizek said. "We keep checking back to see if we get a ping or a blip somewhere, and we are going to keep doing that until we get those answers."

Police also said there's been no online banking or social media activity from Sharif.

[...]

Sharif's mother said she spent the last 12 days crying in her son's room.

"We are asking the community for help. We are asking the community to take on a position to not think they are snitching," Abdul-Samad said.

[...]

I can't see this kid leaving his family voluntarily for all of this time.

Sure, an 18 yr old might be lured by someone on a Friday night, and he may have voluntarily left Target with intentions to go to a party or something, but he wouldn't intentionally stay away all of this time.

If someone just wanted to rob him for his phone and wallet, I think we would have found him already. So I don't understand where he is...:(

This is dated, but I’ve had conversations with a LE friend and know this is still actively happening in the Twin Cities, and it’s not just limited to young Somali men. It doesn’t seem like Abdi would be a likely candidate, but there are some similarities: abrupt and complete disappearance, to the bewilderment of friends and family, and a minimal social media presence. I’m not sure what I think of it, but those three circumstances parallel others enough to get my attention.

Somali Teens Go Missing In Minneapolis

This. I live in the Des Moines metro and on the local news’ Facebook pages relating to Abdi’s case a few commenters would suggest “Isis?” and then everyone else would be all over them calling them racist and disgusting etc. But per the article linked above, it certainly is a very real possibility. This is such a mystery.

...Also, just last night three black teenage males were shot to death in a home in Des Moines. The police say that it was not random. Retaliatory violence may possibly be what happened to Abdi but I cannot imagine who or what he could have gotten involved with...if it was drug or gang related, surely someone would have noticed?

If
...Also, just last night three black teenage males were shot to death in a home in Des Moines. The police say that it was not random. Retaliatory violence may possibly be what happened to Abdi but I cannot imagine who or what he could have gotten involved with...if it was drug or gang related, surely someone would have noticed?
it was retaliatory or drugs or gangs, I'd expect his body would be left for others to see. They do that on purpose, to send messages, etc.

On the ISIS thing, it is a possibility, I suppose. I know young girls were going missing in this same way for awhile. I don't think that its happening as much anymore though.

I just have a feeling that when the truth emerges, it will be more shocking than anyone ever imagined.

Identified! - IA - Council Bluffs, mummified body behind a refrigerator, 24 Jan 2019 - Larry Ely Murillo-Moncada

The discovery of Larry's remains along with the unanswered questions left behind was probably the most shocking case I've come across since becoming a WS member. Larry's case also makes me wonder whether something similar may have happened to Abdi. I wish we knew what the surveillance cameras show in terms of where exactly he walked (i.e., open parking lot, along exterior wall of bldg., shipping docks, etc.). I hope they check confined areas well.

Get home safely, Abdi!

Thank you for the link. :)

Noting from the video:
  • Police are still looking at video from intersections around the mall.
  • The family has hired a private investigator.
  • The family is still posting Abdi's missing flyer around town and a $5,000 reward is being offered.
  • Police Sgt says the only thing they know is that he voluntarily left Target.
  • Abdi's mother wants people to know that they didn't sanction a t-shirt that's being sold on Facebook that says, "Hey America, Abdi is just as important as Mollie." (Referring to Mollie Tibbetts) The family did NOT approve of this.
  • His family is still hopeful, saying they can't give up, and their search will go on until they have answers.
  • Police are asking anyone who lives within a 1/2 mile radius of the mall to check their ring cameras or home surveillance video from Jan 17 for any sign of Abdi.

• Abdi's mother wants people to know that they didn't sanction a t-shirt that's being sold on Facebook that says, "Hey America, Abdi is just as important as Mollie." (Referring to Mollie Tibbetts) The family did NOT approve of this.
Snipped by me for focus.

This message has been regionally viral and it's a bit frustrating. It's good to know that's not being spread on behalf of the family.

A body has just been found in a ravine in West Des Moines....probably 10-12 miles from Merle Hay Mall? There is absolutely no info on who the person is yet, so it may not be related to Abdi or any other local missing people we have here (if whoever it is has even been reported missing).

West Des Moines police investigating after body found in ravine

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosebud79922
Back