GUILTY OH - Sheriff Charles Reader, charged with theft in office, Pike Co, 29 Jun 2019

Hadsell Chemical Processing, LLC and Robert Walton, Jr. (Release No. LR-23835; May 18, 2017)

IMO, this is much much bigger than Sheriff Reader. Go back and look in his court record, especially for 2019CR000068, June 28, 2019. The new charges are not NEW. This crap involves Hadsell Chemical and one VIP, ROBERT W WALTON, JR from Loveland. Research really pays off, but it takes a lot of time. 2016CIV00251 and 2016CIV00367 (listed in C. Reader's court records) play a role, too, IMO.

Is Fredericka Wagner involved? Just a question.

I definitely believe she is deeply involved in trying to sinking Sheriff Reader. No doubt about it. JMO

I don't know that I can make that leap but I'm interested in understanding where you are coming from. I am curious around what was initially being investigated:
1) sheriff's Office in its legal capacity and Reader knew this so tried to cover up his misdeeds
OR
2) Sheriff Reader as an individual
(We never heard why his brother was let go)

It looks like Reader was petty levels of money compared to a Hadsell Entity. $7,000, $621 and a couple vehicles.
JMO

There were a few things that landed oddly in my mind with Reader but one sticks out most and could just be my own interpretation; that being his reaction to the Fox19 report on the Hopper Rd/Francis murders. There was something about the way he asked about what Curts mom said that seemed intimidating or defensive but just off. I will have to see if I can find the video.
JMO

Pike County Becomes 2A Sanctuary County - Scioto Post
83679311_3001173026562519_1253153173573468160_o.jpg

What does this mean in layman's terms, please?

Fredericka Wagner

My opinion, yes, FW, and many other people ( for a wide range of reasons) could have it in for Reader.
Moo:
I would put Rita Carter Newcomb and her daughter, Angela right up there with FW. Could be each had a separate reason and also one common reason.
I suspect and theorize many people lost regular 'income' over the magnifying glass put on Pike County and surrounding area immediately after the Rhoden and Gilley murders and continuing to this day.

Multiple State and Federal Task forces created specifically after 4/22 2016 to combat drug trade in Southern Ohio would have put pressure on many individuals in Southern Ohio.
I think Readers charges and trial have the potential of being complicated, wide ranging in the end. Its just a guess.

I'm not for or against Reader.
I do have sympathy for what he has gone through with events of 4/22 and after
That could have a negative impact on anyone.

Last edited:
If we assume for a moment this is accurate, wouldn't it mean she has a source on the inside that knew of the events Reader was engaging in?

yes, a source, but on the inside...of ....?

My opinion, speculation -
Most would guess a source on the inside of the Police Department.
I would guess a source who had been or is still inside some other local
facility.

I don't know that I can make that leap but I'm interested in understanding where you are coming from. I am curious around what was initially being investigated:
1) sheriff's Office in its legal capacity and Reader knew this so tried to cover up his misdeeds
OR
2) Sheriff Reader as an individual
(We never heard why his brother was let go)

It looks like Reader was petty levels of money compared to a Hadsell Entity. $7,000, $621 and a couple vehicles.
JMO

Yes, Reader is small money compared to Hadsell. All the more reason to wonder HOW and WHY he is facing all the charges.

Well, IMO, the Wagners made a pact to get revenge on 3 people, and the easiest to go after was Reader. Timing sure is impressive, too. FW has BIG money and people in high places.

Also, I believe Reader is being attacked politically by Rob Junk and others.

Set up is a better description. All JMO.

There were a few things that landed oddly in my mind with Reader but one sticks out most and could just be my own interpretation; that being his reaction to the Fox19 report on the Hopper Rd/Francis murders. There was something about the way he asked about what Curts mom said that seemed intimidating or defensive but just off. I will have to see if I can find the video.
JMO

Did you find this? Thanks.

Did you find this? Thanks.

Still haven't found it, may have to search Facebook later as it could have been a back and forth rant between Reader/Barr, but I remember it stuck out to me because she also declined the on camera interview at the last minute.

Judy Conley also confirmed the details of those pictures during an off-camera interview with her in January. Conley initially agreed to an on-camera interview then, but canceled the interview the day before we were scheduled to shoot it.

The Attorney General's Office couldn't find any new information or leads in the case, according to Pike County Prosecutor's Office Investigator Brian Reader.

Reader is Pike County Sheriff Charlie Reader's brother. Charlie Reader, the Francis and Burgette families told FOX19 NOW, was in an administrative deputy position at the sheriff's office when the Hopper Road murders happened and played a major role in the initial investigation.

We asked Sheriff Reader for an interview on the case in a May 1, 2017 email. Reader declined to interview, but offered up the four men who make up the Pike County Major Crimes Task Force.

Pike Co. cold case: 'Stuff's been covered up long enough'

Last edited:
yes, a source, but on the inside...of ....?

My opinion, speculation -
Most would guess a source on the inside of the Police Department.
I would guess a source who had been or is still inside some other local
facility.

my guess is they would have to be inside enough to know exactly what he was doing. Unless he was bragging, someone would have had to observe him taking money I would guess.

did that person also know his plans for April 22??? I just remembered this:

Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader had scheduled himself to be off work on April 22. It was a Friday, and he was going to spend the day with his wife and take her to dinner and a movie

my guess is they would have to be inside enough to know exactly what he was doing. Unless he was bragging, someone would have had to observe him taking money I would guess.

did that person also know his plans for April 22??? I just remembered this:

Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader had scheduled himself to be off work on April 22. It was a Friday, and he was going to spend the day with his wife and take her to dinner and a movie

My opinion.
Yes, I believe people inside the office (or people who had the need to be in and out of the police department) could have seen him remove money. Or simply noticed money was missing. It doesn't seem the department followed procedures to keep evidence or cash secure.
On the other hand, many small time drug dealers who were arrested over and over, in and out of the jail, possibly with a grudge could have made the claim, wether it was valid because of observation or not valid, just a random complaint.
Reader scheduled to be off on 4/22 is an unusual event, in hindsight.
I don't know what to make of that.

My opinion.
Yes, I believe people inside the office (or people who had the need to be in and out of the police department) could have seen him remove money. Or simply noticed money was missing. It doesn't seem the department followed procedures to keep evidence or cash secure.
On the other hand, many small time drug dealers who were arrested over and over, in and out of the jail, possibly with a grudge could have made the claim, wether it was valid because of observation or not valid, just a random complaint.
Reader scheduled to be off on 4/22 is an unusual event, in hindsight.
I don't know what to make of that.

Why is Reader scheduling a day off "an unusual event?"

Why is Reader scheduling a day off "an unusual event?"

Loomis, this is not anti Reader - not making any kind of accusations. No conspiracy thoughts. Reader scheduled a day off.

All my opinion and if I recall events correctly.

In hindsight it seems an unusual event because of the following:
It was the first day of Hunting - Turkey season.
I am guessing that might be a day when other officers may have asked for time off too, as hunting is very popular in the area.
It would be responsibility of Chief of Police to be aware of staffing concerns and be prepared for a day when police traditionally receive more calls than usual, related to hunting - things like trespassing complaints, people hearing gunshots, poachers, even shooting accidents, that kind of thing.
We now know a few other things were going on.
Iirc - the Pike County Police were already somewhat short handed because Jenkins must have been off duty.
JJ had a hearing set that morning and was supposed to be in court, so he would not have been available to work.
It has always been my impression that Reader had a small Police Force to begin with, and many rural roads to cover with a limited number of Officers on a normal day.

This was my thinking about Reader scheduling the day off.

Loomis, this is not anti Reader - not making any kind of accusations. No conspiracy thoughts. Reader scheduled a day off.

All my opinion and if I recall events correctly.

In hindsight it seems an unusual event because of the following:
It was the first day of Hunting - Turkey season.
I am guessing that might be a day when other officers may have asked for time off too, as hunting is very popular in the area.
It would be responsibility of Chief of Police to be aware of staffing concerns and be prepared for a day when police traditionally receive more calls than usual, related to hunting - things like trespassing complaints, people hearing gunshots, poachers, even shooting accidents, that kind of thing.
We now know a few other things were going on.
Iirc - the Pike County Police were already somewhat short handed because Jenkins must have been off duty.
JJ had a hearing set that morning and was supposed to be in court, so he would not have been available to work.
It has always been my impression that Reader had a small Police Force to begin with, and many rural roads to cover with a limited number of Officers on a normal day.

This was my thinking about Reader scheduling the day off.

I as well am not anti or pro Reader. I feel for any LE or EMS responder that dealt with the events of 4/22 in real time.

It appears Reader was crumbling (his marriage and gambling), but I don't think he can blame that on the murders JMO. There is a public researchable history/pattern of money issues before he became Sheriff available in the Pike Court System. Actually it makes him vulnerable if someone was aware of his financial state and needed a pawn.

Specific to his actions, I wonder where he was holding the 14 evidence bags that were not found during the search warrants at the Sheriff's Office? Not only were they tampered with but the bags evidentially were removed from the Sheriff's Office if I am reading the articles correctly.

What does bother me is anything classified as "evidence" from any case was moved or tampered with in any way. This is concerning because any finger prints from the original money is gone. Was it only money in the evidence bags he removed? Could those prints on any of the money or evidence have been important to solving another case at some point? Hard to say..
Not to point it at Reader but it seems I have read of evidence missing in Pike County cases in the past. Has this been an ongoing acceptable pattern in that office or under the County Prosecutor?

what I do commend Reader on is calling in all the entities he did to help when the murders occurred. I also commend that the investigation (from what it sounds) did not include him very much after the initial days. If something was smelling funky in the Sheriff's Office (even at a small level), the AG's Office/BCI was spot on in keeping him on the sidelines.

All JMO

And after I posted that I had the strangest thought... wouldn't that be one hell of a way to wash drug money. In the literal "wash" sense to remove prints etc from the bills in evidence bags.
The articles did say the bills were clearly different. Neat not folded, etc.
Someone could turn that into a movie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back