Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guidance from the CDC urges travelers, especially the elderly and those with compromised health, to avoid long plane trips “and especially” cruises — a stark shift in rhetoric from an administration that had previously appeared reluctant to discourage Americans from moving around the globe.

The CDC now recommends that travelers “defer all cruise ship travel worldwide” and notes that “cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.” TheState Department on Sunday also recommended against cruise travel, citing an increased risk of coronavirus infection, and issued a warning that citizens should not rely on repatriation flights "as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.”

CDC warns against long plane trips and cruises as coronavirus cases mount

As the State Department is now involved with it's appropriate, but surprising warning about cruise ships, I think the politicians may be backing off.

At least I hope they are.

Dr. Faucci and Dr Gottlieb need to be the absolute last voices on this issue.

Dr. Faucci has been a legend in medical communities for decades. He isn't just "a member of the committee" . He IS the committee.

There is no reason to bring out Pence or especially Carson any more.

I agree. But I believe that the "party line" is that cruises are safe. Dr. Fauci speaks volumes with the absolute truth and sense.

Which is why, I believe that next week, he will be busy with other tasks.

How contagious is the Wuhan Coronavirus? (Ro)

The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people to which a single infected person will transmit the virus.
  • WHO's estimated (on Jan. 23) Ro to be between 1.4 and 2.5. [13
  • Other studies have estimated a Ro between 3.6 and 4.0, and between 2.24 to 3.58. [23].
  • Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5. [5][6][7]
  • An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.
  • For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 109,977 Cases and 3,827 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

And this will be why mandatory measures will be required.....

San Francisco officials have advised people to stay away from large gatherings. Local pro sports teams are holding their events anyway. San Francisco Is Taking an Aggressive Approach to Coronavirus. Not Everyone Is Listening.

Defying the advice of Santa Clara County, the San Jose Sharks hockey team played on Thursday & declined to cancel their Saturday & Sunday home games. The San Jose Earthquakes, a Major League Soccer team, also declined to cancel their Saturday home game.
Marc Benioff on Twitter

Hey, we smelled this coming weeks ago.

This really sucks.

People are playing with people’s lives here.

What do I need to need to do to get on Twitter? Seriously, I’ve had enough of this business already and we haven’t even started yet.

New guidance from the CDC urges travelers, especially the elderly and those with compromised health, to avoid long plane trips “and especially” cruises — a stark shift in rhetoric from an administration that had previously appeared reluctant to discourage Americans from moving around the globe.

The CDC now recommends that travelers “defer all cruise ship travel worldwide” and notes that “cruise ship passengers are at increased risk of person-to-person spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.” TheState Department on Sunday also recommended against cruise travel, citing an increased risk of coronavirus infection, and issued a warning that citizens should not rely on repatriation flights "as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.”

CDC warns against long plane trips and cruises as coronavirus cases mount

Hallelujah !!!

:drama: I’m changing my store trip to tomorrow morning first thing when they open. I know myself well enough to say I am NOT up to the trip at the moment. Again, kind of a dizzy feeling. Must be my head spinning literally.

Are any of guys here like holy moly this is really happening? I am. Just sayin.

Doesn’t mean you’re panicking just because you’re “absorbing the situation” around you. I’m like wow, this is freaking unreal...

So, making an early note.

What are the positives here...

Um, I can’t quote think of any atm :D but please, let’s start thinking about that and contributing ideas. The thought of watching the numbers is making me sick, there has to be something to counter this for everyone’s sake.

The pace of diagnosis has quickened in recent days, with more than 100 new cases announced on both Saturday and Sunday. The virus is now spreading within communities on both coasts, including in California, New York and Washington, where more than 100 people have been confirmed to have the virus in each of those states.

Tracking Every Coronavirus Case in the U.S.: Full Map

Britons are allowed out of Milan and surrounding areas. When they get home to the UK, they will not be met or screened. The govt would like it if they would self-isolate for 14 days but there is no
obligation to do so.

Please help me figure that one out.

Honor system. Brits have it. Maybe the rest of the world should follow.

Current numbers for WA state from: Novel Coronavirus Outbreak 2020 :: Washington State Department of Health

Total Tests

Negative 1,100
Positive

Age of positive cases
0 to 19 years
20 to 29 years
30 to 39 years
40 to 49 years
50 to 59 years
60 to 69 years
70 to 79 years
80+ years
Unknown

Sex at Birth
Female
Male
Unknown

Note:
This data is changing rapidly as labs conduct tests and discover new cases. Labs will then assign those cases to a county. At that point, counties or the Department of Health determine the appropriate county of jurisdiction. Those don’t always match initially. We’re currently working to reduce the “unassigned” number to 0.

Last edited:
The pace of diagnosis has quickened in recent days, with more than 100 new cases announced on both Saturday and Sunday. The virus is now spreading within communities on both coasts, including in California, New York and Washington, where more than 100 people have been confirmed to have the virus in each of those states.

Tracking Every Coronavirus Case in the U.S.: Full Map

Damnit damnit damnit.

This is what we’ve been waiting for folks.

From day one “sustained/community transmission”....over a hundred cases, bla bla etc etc.

This is BAD.

Like the WORST post so far for those in the US...and you know how hard it is to win that title. Well, actually the dog posts were worse but this comes in as a close second.

%#%*!! :eek:

—-
ETA: @otto pass the vodka

Everything is jmo moo

—-

:waves at Canadian neighbors:

Global News Canada has been a great resource on YouTube so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member