Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just about everyone I have talked to and exactly why it will spread!! I cant believe the lack of concern

Lots of self-centered, selfish and science deniers out there right now.
Some people simply do not care unless it directly affects them, and only then will they start to care. I was shocked to find out I knew so many selfish people.

It’s not clear why Italy’s Covid-19 outbreak spiraled so quickly relative to other European countries, but there are several competing theories. One is that an aggressive testing campaign centered in Lombardy — a wealthy region in the north — inflated the problem at a time when other countries have lagged in detecting cases.

Another is that intense spread of the virus in the hospital system, before doctors realized there was a problem, may have amplified the outbreak. Some 10 percent of medical workers in Lombardy have been infected, according to a March 3 Washington Post report, and health workers account for 5 percent of those infected in the country. (Bolstering this explanation: The WHO-ECDC joint mission report suggests Italy should work on its infection prevention and control measures in hospitals.)

There’s also speculation about whether Italy’s burden is particularly severe because of the country’s aging population. Covid-19 is known to hit the elderly particularly hard. That, along with the fast rise in confirmed cases, has tested the limits of the health system.

Italy’s coronavirus crisis could be America’s

It'
We are told 24/7 to wash our hands so I think many people believe clean hands is a cure all. If someone sneezes at us, it matters none of our hands are clean.

It's the forceful coughs that I am worried about. Two weeks ago a movie at the movie theatre wouldn't stop coughing without covering his mouth. popcorn flew out from his mouth and sprayed the seats in front of him.

Walmart, McDonald's, Instacart add COVID-19 paid sick leave policies

This is so great. Finally, workers are being recognized that if anyone goes to work sick, we all suffer.

I have had jobs, that I had to get to work, meetings, travel, getting sick was not an option. Sure, I had "sick leave", but there was a subtle competition that NO ONE ever called in sick, like wolves, the weakest one would be culled.

The work environment is just so cozy and friendly.

At my local WMT the cashiers are always sick , way before novel Corona. I wipe all of my stuff off before putting it away, only because they have touched it. It takes only a few minutes to wipe can goods and packaged items.
I had one cashier that was so ill I asked “why are you here, you’re obviously sick?” She told me (as she wiped her nose) that she would be fired if she called in. She was disgusting.
Now the cat’s out of the bag regarding the Cynthiana, KY WMT deli/bakery employee that nearly died from Covid19, Walmart had no option, imo. In all honesty, it will never be known exactly how many ended up infected from shopping at WMT.

Twitter

“Gov. Gavin Newsom said 1,075 individuals have been tested for #coronavirus in the state [of California] so far, as testing capabilities are set to expand”

Oh my goodness, I can’t take it anymore!!! Why are they not testing more by now??!! At what point, I mean at WHAT POINT will they follow through on these promises to test “soon”?!! We are fools to believe.

I’m weary from the ludicrousness.:mad:

MOO.

I am honestly shocked at the amount of people on this thread that think it's no problem to shut down entire cities, to willingly just stay home, etc, for weeks. Maybe a lot of people on here are retired or work for large corporations where telecommuting is an option, but unfortunately, self isolating at home as a precaution just isn't practical or feasible for most people.
It's a horrible decision that will cause suffering either way, and I agree that people aren't fully realizing the economic cost. The overriding issue in my mind is our healthcare system becoming overwhelmed with cases. We can't build hospitals in ten days like the Chinese, and the stories coming out of Italy are horrifying... elderly people not even being evaluated, people aren't being treated for strokes or heart attacks or any other conditions. I think we need to take measures so our healthcare system isn't overwhelmed, and that has to be the top priority.

Do you have any idea how many need to be tested in CA? I haven’t heard. Tysm
Twitter

“Gov. Gavin Newsom said 1,075 individuals have been tested for #coronavirus in the state [of California] so far, as testing capabilities are set to expand”

Oh my goodness, I can’t take it anymore!!! Why are they not testing more by now??!! At what point, I mean at WHAT POINT will they follow through on these promises to test “soon”?!! We are fools to believe.

I’m weary from the ludicrousness.:mad:

MOO.

Yes but I’m not sure just closing schools willy nilly will help anything. All those college kids have just been sent back home and are out and about in their various communities now. And all those elementary kids are just out other places doing things in their communities. All these kids out of school aren’t quarantined. They’re just not in school. What about the many kids who depend on free breakfast and lunch at school for their only meals of the day?
Don’t get me wrong, I’m afraid of this virus. I’m afraid for my parents especially. They are absolutely social distancing and mostly staying in. I just worry that so much panic and rash decision making could cause more damage than the virus itself.

It’s not Willy nilly. It’s proactive. In counties that have it colleges should go to online. It’s different with little kids because that’s not as feasible. And in schools that remain open masks should be mandatory.

Or we can just wait until it spreads so much that the entire country needs to be on quarantine like in Italy. What’s worse?

In Australia:

The chief medical officer, professor Brendan Murphy, on the policy of not-testing for coronavirus people, said:

We’re not testing people without symptoms at the moment. There is no value in testing people without symptoms. Currently, our approach is testing — and that’s the international approach — is testing people who have respiratory symptoms and who have been a returned traveller or who are a contact.

The focus in Australia was building testing capacity so there can be a same-day turnaround on testing results.

He said the reason there is “no value” in testing people who are asymptomatic is that a negative test result does not mean that a person is not incubating the virus. So before a person is symptomatic the test can return, essentially, a false negative.

UK minister tests positive as deaths outside China pass 1,000– as it happened

I hear you loud and clear. It's difficult to be kind of terrified about my own personal health and also be fearful for my mom and brother, for my hubby, and for my grown kids and grandkids. All for various reasons (age, locations, potential symptoms.).

For me it's taking a toll wondering about every cough and every sniffle...and if I feel warm? achy?
Freaking nightmare. :(

For the next 14 days I will worry about the doctor’s office, the aerosol of poo water from the park bathroom and the lady who so kindly coughed at my face yesterday.

I dunno.
Maybe PLAN AHEA
D ??? (We all knew it was just a matter of time!)
It is worrisome that we have a CDC in Atlanta and there's been no "plan" for years!
I'm sure we did disaster drills a dozen times! Bombs threats...etc.
People are getting sooo lazy.
IMO
I can't believe how my daughter doesn't even get vaccine information sheets at her daughter's checkups.
Last I checked it was required BY LAW
Ehh... just skip it.
Makes me mad that people dont have the same work ethic like we HAD TO HAVE to keep a job 30 years ago!
Rant of .
Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members