Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS CAN WORK!! DO YOUR PART!!

South Korea has done more than just "flatten the curve" of new Covid-19 infections. It bought the curve down through:

- Aggressive testing (20,000 tests daily, "drive through" testing)/isolation
- School holiday extended
- Government advice to stay inside
- large events cancelled Tom Hancock on Twitter

Wow that's incredible, how they could effectuate such a dramatic decline
in just one month.

I mentioned earlier that DH and I hosted a French exchange student the same school year of 9/11. I worry for her as the situation in France is escalating as most of Europe. This morning she reached out to me. I wanted to share her assessment of living in France at the moment. These are her responses to my questions:

*Here in France we are at the third level. School are closed at least until
Easter vacations
  • Well it means the virus is moving by himself all around the country. Before that it was at some few places and you could tell where people got it. Right now they don't control it anymore so they decided to close university, schools etc... people around 70 and more have to stay home as much as possible.

• The idea is not to avoid epidemia because it is happening no matter what but try to help hospital to take care of patients.

• Yes you can be tested at hospital if you have symptomes... but at level 3 they cannot test everybody.

*Some people will be positive without knowing it

I called our county Humane Society yesterday to find out if they are doing anything related to pet rescue for people who have pets and end up seriously ill in the hospital, or worse, and there is no one taking care of their pets at home. They told me that they have not developed any new policies or procedures, but that if anyone is concerned that this could happen to them, they should get on the waiting list for giving up their pets. I was surprised at that.

I did some googling and it seems to me that working with local pet rescue organizations would be best, but connecting with them now is very difficult.

I saw the news today about dogs and COVID-19, and am pleased to see that, but wish they would make the same public statement about COVID-19 and cats. This would make people - and authorities - more comfortable with pet rescue and care when needed. I will keep following up on this.
thanks, Sundog, even in normal times here in
Fl. we have many pets that need re-homing or
even temporary foster care til owners get back on their feet.
So many elderly owners who go into nursing homes have no family to take their pets.
Talk to your families about your own pets.
Have a plan. Provide money for their care.

I called our county Humane Society yesterday to find out if they are doing anything related to pet rescue for people who have pets and end up seriously ill in the hospital, or worse, and there is no one taking care of their pets at home. They told me that they have not developed any new policies or procedures, but that if anyone is concerned that this could happen to them, they should get on the waiting list for giving up their pets. I was surprised at that.

I did some googling and it seems to me that working with local pet rescue organizations would be best, but connecting with them now is very difficult.

I saw the news today about dogs and COVID-19, and am pleased to see that, but wish they would make the same public statement about COVID-19 and cats. This would make people - and authorities - more comfortable with pet rescue and care when needed. I will keep following up on this.

You rock and so glad to have you here. Thank you.

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL!! ANOTHER BIG LAB ON LINE...

Roche’s cobas SARS-CoV-2 Test to detect novel coronavirus receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization and is available in markets accepting the CE mark Roche’s cobas SARS-CoV-2 Test to detect novel coronavirus receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization and is available in markets accepting the CE mark

Roche is not a laboratory that performs tests. You can't send a specimen to a Roche laboratory to get tested.

Roche is a Swiss-based major laboratory equipment and reagent manufacturer. ( Another arm is a major drug manufacturer)

The Roche Cobas platform has been around for 20 + years and is used for many other infectious agent antigen and antibody testing via PCR( like Hepatitis serology)

So this is only licensing and approval of an existing laboratory instrument to perform the PCR testing method for SARS-CoV-2. This opens the way for laboratories that use the Roche Cobas platform to add on SARS-C0V-2 test. This will allow some larger hospital laboratories that already own the Roche Cobas to do this testing in-house.
So in about 4 weeks, assuming the reagents can be shipped, and can be validated on-site, there might be better access and better turnaround of this method.

So this will improve testing in about a month, but not tomorrow. And who knows where we will be in a month

Last edited:
Roche is not a laboratory that performs tests. You can't send a specimen to a Roche laboratory to get tested.

So this will improve testing in about a month, but not tomorrow

Roche is a Swiss-based major laboratory equipment and reagent manufacturer. ( Another arm is a major drug manufacturer)

The Roche Cobas platform has been around for 20 + years and is used for many other infectious agent antigen and antibody testing via PCR( like Hepatitis serology)

So this is only licensing and approval of an existing laboratory instrument to perform the PCR testing method for SARS-CoV-2. This opens the way for laboratories that use the Roche Cobas platform to add on SARS-C0V-2 test. This will allow some larger hospital laboratories to do this testing in-house.
So in about 4 weeks, assuming the reagents can be shipped, and can be validated on-site, there might be better access and better turnaround of this method.
Thanks for the info...

Edinburgh Airport has warned that it is potentially facing the scenario of receiving no passengers in the next three months because of coronavirus.

In a statement released on Friday, a spokesman for the airport said: "We are facing an unprecedented situation, looking at the potential of three months of zero or close to zero passenger demand.

"We have spent the last few weeks looking at how we deal with the immediate and longer term effects and unfortunately that means taking some extremely tough decisions as the industry continues to react."

More than 100 jobs at the Scottish airport are said to be at risk.

Coronavirus updates: Borders shut as coronavirus cases rise - BBC News

Last edited:
8:38 a.m. Friday

The United States Air Force Academy said that due to the rapid spread of COVID-19, and with multiple members of the base populace being monitored, they have decided to begin the dismissal of a large segment of the Cadet population.”

[...]
—-

5:10 p.m. Thursday

“An employee at the University of Colorado Boulder has tested positive for the virus.”

Live Blog: Updates on coronavirus in Colorado

( :( this is bad - it’s all bad...)

I posted a few threads ago about our friend from Georgia that called and completely poo poo'd the virus--said "it was just like getting a cold" etc. etc. He was actually kind of a bully towards me lol. Anyway, he called this morning. His tune has completely changed. He said to my husband "she was right about everything".

I wish I wasn't right...but I do feel somewhat validated.

Anyway, I think with the mass shutdowns of everything that people are beginning to see the light and take this seriously.

thanks, Sundog, even in normal times here in
Fl. we have many pets that need re-homing or
even temporary foster care til owners get back on their feet.
So many elderly owners who go into nursing homes have no family to take their pets.
Talk to your families about your own pets.
Have a plan. Provide money for their care.

Thanks. Family members have allergies to cats, so are working on other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201