Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor Wolf here in Pennsylvania just yesterday announced all Pennsylvania schools Pre-K thru 12 to be closed for 2 weeks (10 business days) starting Monday 3/17. I'm in western Pennsylvania and we haven't had any diagnosed cases here as of yet. Some of the local schools here are setting up to prepare for remote learning to start the 2nd week, and to continue if Wolf extends the closures.

Governor Wolf Announces Closure of Pennsylvania Schools | Governor Tom Wolf

I'm going to head over to WalMart and maybe Giant Eagle in a bit, curious to see how things are at the stores following the school closing announcement :D

Governor Andy Beshear

We had our afternoon update. 16 cases now & one patient is near death but has preexisting conditions.

One good thing, if a person in KY tests positive & are told to “isolate” at home until they are negative, they can be “policed” if necessary, to ensure they remain in their home.
FYI one positive KY patient had to be “forced” into quarantine!
@video in link

unreal! I wonder if they'll release more details

Mrs.22 has just informed me that if I do not go mow the front yard right now that I will not have to wait for "any old virus to do you in."..... I think she is just after my share of the toilet paper..... Catch yall later........lawnmoooooooooooowermancody22

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-19-coronavirus-disinformation-trolls-1.5497805
''As if health worries, self-quarantines, market meltdowns, store shelves stripped bare and cancelled vacations were not enough, the COVID-19 pandemic has unleashed another menace: an online army of trolls.

While Canada gears up to battle the spread of COVID-19, it's also bracing for a second, less tangible fight against a wave of disinformation that the country's top military commander warns is already being assembled in cyberspace.

Gen. Jonathan Vance, the country's chief of the defence staff, said he's seen indications recently that Canada's adversaries intend to exploit the uncertainty, confusion and fear that many people feel after a week marked by swift and extraordinary developments in the global pandemic crisis.''

There is absolutely going to be efforts on the part of state-sponsored and non-state sponsored [actors] to try and make every step we take as a government, and indeed as allies, look bad."

''The United Kingdom's National Health Service is already fighting that disinformation war, working with Twitter to suspend false accounts — some of which have been posing as hospitals — and ripping down inaccurate information about the number of virus cases.

On Tuesday, the NHS launched a specific initiative to push back against COVID-19 misinformation.''

I panicked too much and decided just to go ahead and go shopping today.

Meat? Gone. Veggies? Gone. Fruit? Gone. Barely any canned goods or frozen stuff left. We were able to grab some stuff but we were lucky because they were restocking as we came in. I was able to grab a package of toilet paper that they were just putting onto the shelves. There were limits to have many of each things we could buy. I think I went at a very lucky time.

I talked to my parents and my father went to 4 stores and could not find toilet paper. All 4 stores were almost completely wiped out of everything. He could not get any produce. He finally found some water at a local store but he had to wait 1 hour in a line to get into the store, and there was a limit of 1 water per person. I may have to share some of my TP with them.

Our store was out of potatoes by 5pm Friday night. crazy.

I have coffee. Worried about milk
So add to list powdered coffee creamer
I noticed the potato bin wasn't as full as usual. Potatoes are great filler foods, last a long time, can be prepared in many ways, including very simple ways. I would grab 'em when you see 'em.

jmo

Those "boomer" remarks are infuriating. The comments are just as stupid as racist or sexist remarks.

(And isn't it everyone's goal to actually be part of the older generation someday?!)

Ageism is not funny.

signed, GenXer
It is infuriating, but it’s inevitable really. I mean I know these GenZ kids love their grandparents and don’t want any old people to die. BUT when you’re not able to have prom, go to sports events, have your college/high school graduation, forced to move out of your dorm full of friends and back in w/your parents all because of pretty much a mild cold for you and all your friends? Of course they’re going to be bitter. I’m not condoning it, but we do have to remember that this is really affecting young people as well.

They’re mostly not getting sick and dying, but their lives have been turned upside down. My daughter knows a senior at Harvard who was getting ready to head out to a track meet last week—they had never made it this far—when they were told Harvard had pulled out of it & to go home. Everything she had worked for over. Done.

I’m heartbroken for my daughter who was thriving at college. Everything she worked for to get there—just gone. Her new friends in other states and no one knows if and when they’ll be able to go on living.
This is terrible for everyone but we can’t forget the young people affected.

Multiple introductions of virus into Scotland.
Virological Posts on Twitter

Update report of COVID-19 in Scotland: multiple introductions

STAY HOME, SAVE LIVES

Snippet:

“Including CVR01, our analysis indicates three introductions of COVID-19 infections into Scotland for which genome sequence data is available. For two of these there is evidence of linked transmissions either occurring in or out of Scotland: (1) CVR02 and CVR04 are identical so cluster together and (2) CVR03 and CVR05 also cluster together, CVR05 has one additional mutation. Clustering is consistent with the known travel histories.

It is important to note the countries indicated in the sequence names are where the individuals reside and not necessarily the origin of their infection, as most are recent travellers. For example, CVR02 and CVR04 are closest to samples from individuals testing positive in the Netherlands. However, it cannot be concluded from this analysis that the Scottish individuals were infected in the Netherlands as we do not have complete travel histories for these cases.

Importantly, there are now multiple introductions of SARS-CoV-2/hCoV-19 into Europe and several introductions to Scotland. A tracker of UK case counts 64has been setup by PHE.”

Drama. I am sure, that these people could check their parents out of the nursing home. It may be "AMA", Against Medical Advice, but they can get their parents and take them home to care for them, in quarantine. It would take a court order to block any family member from removing their parents from long term care at any facility, based on LTC patient rights.

This is flu. Not Ebola or Smallpox.

I have this in the back of my mind, if my mom's place gets cases. Would I go get her and bring her to me, either to my home or to a nearby nursing home, and how to meet her medical needs in that case? Short term, long term, etc? Good things to think about in advance!

Also, this is NOT flu. Please don't conflate them. I get your point that it's not as bad as Ebola/smallpox etc. But calling it flu seriously misinforms people. IMO

Hubby and I are booked for a long weekend in the isle of Skye next weekend. Do you think we should go?

Part if me thinks why not? It will be good to get out of Glasgow. Our government seemingly wants most of us to catch it. And better to catch it now than later.

I think it depends on how you travel. Driving yourself? Probably ok. Flying? Heck no! MOO
Oh she’s super antisocial so probably not!

I think the TP hoarding is because people are worried that if they are quarantined and leave the house they’ll run out. Not sure why they need so much though. Maybe some people who work from home or are retired probably plan to stay hunkered down for months.

Now there is something I hadn't though about. People who are used to being out all day at school or work are not using as much tp as they will when home all day. Hm... :p

I panicked too much and decided just to go ahead and go shopping today.

Meat? Gone. Veggies? Gone. Fruit? Gone. Barely any canned goods or frozen stuff left. We were able to grab some stuff but we were lucky because they were restocking as we came in. I was able to grab a package of toilet paper that they were just putting onto the shelves. There were limits to have many of each things we could buy. I think I went at a very lucky time.

I talked to my parents and my father went to 4 stores and could not find toilet paper. All 4 stores were almost completely wiped out of everything. He could not get any produce. He finally found some water at a local store but he had to wait 1 hour in a line to get into the store, and there was a limit of 1 water per person. I may have to share some of my TP with them.
If I were you, I'd tell them you don't have a square to share.
Lol.

People in Britain aged over 70 will be instructed soon by the government to stay in strict isolation for four months as part of a planned response to coronavirus, broadcaster ITV's political editor said.

Robert Peston said the government was likely to enforce a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort in the next five to 20 days.

Over 70s to be told to self-isolate for months even if they don't have Covid-19

Other measures being planned included the forced requisitioning of hotels and other buildings as temporary hospitals and the requisitioning of private hospitals, he said.
Robert Peston is a journalist. He does not speak for the govt. He is saying exactly the opposite of what Boris Johnson and the Chief Medical officer for the UK said earlier today.

Boris starts talking at around 23.00.

Mrs.22 has just informed me that if I do not go mow the front yard right now that I will not have to wait for "any old virus to do you in."..... I think she is just after my share of the toilet paper..... Catch yall later........lawnmoooooooooooowermancody22

I am so glad you are here to help us laugh and keep us sane. Thank you for being you.

Please thank Mrs.22 for lending you to us.

Now go mow that lawn, “trophy-husband”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member