Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposting

FRANKFORT, KY. (AP) — Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear preached social distancing during a daily update on Saturday and said that one newly diagnosed coronavirus patient had resisted a quarantine.

Beshear said Kentucky now has 18 cases, and officials are awaiting more than two dozen test results. The newest positives for the novel coronavirus were in Fayette, Montgomery and Nelson counties.

The patient in Nelson refused to self-quarantine, Beshear said. The man was being kept at home Saturday with a law enforcement officer nearby.

“It’s a step I hoped I never had to take, but we can’t allow one person we know who has this virus to refuse to protect their neighbors,” Beshear said.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kentucky/articles/2020-03-
14/kentucky-coronavirus-patient-resisted-quarantine

(I think this will happen a lot as time goes on. Some that test positive after presenting to a hospital, never imagining they will be isolated for a couple weeks. I bet this man didn’t think he had CV & didn’t understand the ramifications once he was tested. I hope his wife or SO is safe locked up with him for two weeks, if he has a housemate. Moo)

sure. As of 2/21/20:

In total, the CDC estimates that 29 million people have gotten the flu so far this season.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.

Flu shot better than last year, despite tough season for kids

Also, the cdc keeps separate statistics for corona

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

The part I’m having a difficult time with is that you are pointing to the facts presented by the CDC as a way to discredit the very group that presented the facts you’re trying to use as evidence against them.

Simple

OK, I AM YELLING AGAIN AND I AM GETTING ANGRY.

IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A HOAX - IF YOU FEEL THIS IS ALL "FAKE NEWS" THEN DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD. STAY OFF THIS THREAD. THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING THE VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND WANT TO POST ABOUT FACTS AND ABOUT SOLUTIONS. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO YOUR OPINION BUT YOUR OPINION WILL CAUSE THIS THREAD DO GO UP IN FLAMES AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE CAN COME HERE AND GET FACTS. WE NEED TO TAKE THIS VIRUS SERIOUSLY AND THAT IS WHY THIS THREAD IS ON WEBSLEUTHS. PLEASE GO TO ANOTHER DISCUSSION IN THE MISSING OR IN COLD CASES AND DO SOME GOOD.

Not yelling now. We should not get hysterical about the virus but we need to discuss this virus seriously. A big difference between the two. In the same vein, we should not shrug our shoulders and say it's no big deal and it is a media hysteria.

While I respect you have the right to your opinion I have the right to ask you to leave this thread so we can discuss the virus without disruption.

Rarely do I pull this statement out but here it comes; I am the owner and the final decisions on what can be discussed and rules are all on me. I want to be as inclusive as possible but in a real National Emergency declared by the president, I have a responsibility to make sure we discuss the facts and we discuss virus in a logical and factual way.

Thank you.
Tricia.
PS. I am not getting hysterical about the virus I am getting angry at the thought of how fast this thread could literally shut the whole forum down, Our wonderful mods do not need the stress.
bump

I'm not hypothesizing whatsoever. I'm looking strictly at the data. Less than 60 deaths in the US, the vast majority of ill elderly people. A worldwide death toll of less than 6000 people, with the vast majority confined to three countries, including china and south korea. Simple.

If this was all there was, I might almost agree with you.

But to paraphrase someone earlier in the thread, we're ten minutes into a three-hour movie.

It seems a little silly (to me, IMO MOO) to look at the numbers now and think they're not about to be dramatically different in a month, or even a week, or in some cases just a few hours.

The part I’m having a difficult time with is that you are pointing to the facts presented by the CDC as a way to discredit the very group that presented the facts you’re trying to use as evidence against them.

Simple

I'm not trying to discredit anyone.

If this was all there was, I might almost agree with you.

But to paraphrase someone earlier in the thread, we're ten minutes into a three-hour movie.

It seems a little silly (to me, IMO MOO) to look at the numbers now and think they're not about to be dramatically different in a month, or even a week, or in some cases just a few hours.

They will be different. As more people are tested, the relative death rate will go down since most people are experiencing no/mild/moderate symptoms and almost no one is dying.

I'm not hypothesizing whatsoever. I'm looking strictly at the data. Less than 60 deaths in the US, the vast majority of ill elderly people. A worldwide death toll of less than 6000 people, with the vast majority confined to three countries, including china and south korea. Simple.
Exponential growth can be difficult to understand.

Coronavirus & Exponential Growth: The Chessboard Problem | National Review

Simple math offers alarming answers about Covid-19, health care - STAT

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hat-you-can-see-what-you-cant/?outputType=amp

There are still nay sayers walking among us. Bexar Co. southern San Antonio not yet hit. Many are still questioning and comparing to the flu. Two weeks behind IMO.
Same in Kansas...Picked up my 4th grade grandson from school Friday who told me his science teacher says it’s just the flu!!
At my daughters retail workplace it’s like no news has been heard, a woman actually shook my hand while meeting me, was so shocked I let it happen and am furious now at the encounter and at the risk I took dropping off my grands inside !
Library closed finally and school adding one more week to break but seems like business as usual elsewhere here.
Hibernating in la la land

Something I keep and make weekly is jello. I stocked up enough for 4 weeks. It may not have a lot of nutritional value but it makes a nice snack. It's cheap, takes little cupboard space and all you need is boiling water. It also comes in sugar free.

Today I was going to go to the grocery store for milk & produce and to Home Depot for some plastic storage boxes and I talked myself out of it because I might be out there with the virus.

I think it was getting to me. ugh

They will be different. As more people are tested, the relative death rate will go down since most people are experiencing no/mild/moderate symptoms and almost no one is dying.

I agree with that. But that's a bit of a bait-and-switch because what I was responding to was not about the death rate but rather you claiming that only 60 (US) / 6000 (worldwide) deaths was (relatively) minor. As if that's where those numbers stop.

Yes, the mortality RATE will drop. Per Dr. Fauci it's expected to end up in the 1% range overall, higher for specific at-risk populations. That's a pretty serious rate, an order of magnitude higher than flu, especially together with the fact of no one having built-up immunity yet and no vaccines yet.

Twenty years from now it might be considered no worse than flu overall. But this year it sure is.

I REALLY want to know.
What is going on in China?
How many are still quarantined?
How many out of quarantine?
I cannot believe that in this day and age, we still have radio silence from a country with billions of citizens.
I'm going to make a prediction, because of their leader's cloak and dagger behavior, China is going to experience the worst lack of tourism in over 100 years.
Which in my opinion they should.

I like this quote from Dr. Tedros Ghebreysus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) from one of his recent press briefings: "Let hope be the antidote to fear. Let solidarity be the antidote to blame."

MOO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> ... the numbers are not reaching astronomical levels ~*BECAUSE*~ we are "shutting down the world," right? And that waiting until many people get infected/die is too late and completely idiotic and downright evil, right?
No one should "panic," but we need to be cautious and prepared. If schools need to close down, if people need to stay home from work, so be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
erm, ehhhh, I can't even begin to keep up or catch up on this fast moving forum lol I am not sure if this is a good idea or even appropriate to bring up here so I apologize if it's not. I saw a couple posts that mentioned having a parent that will be subject to the UK quarantine of 4 months, I believe. I am wondering if there would be a way we could (basement?) have a thread/forum for posting messages, etc. to help them receive some sort of "socialization" during this time.

I love this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members