Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus in N.Y.: New York City Public Schools to Close
Following days of pressure, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced plans to close the nation’s largest public school system.

Coronavirus in N.Y.: New York City Public Schools to Close

<snip> New York City’s public school system, the nation’s largest, will begin shutting down this week, by far the most far-reaching and disruptive measure the city has taken yet to slow the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Sunday. All public schools in Westchester and Long Island will also close, the governor said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio is expected to announce more details about New York City’s closure in a news conference later on Sunday.

California isolation of everyone over 65!
This is not good!
The Associated Press on Twitter
Will they issue guns with bullets to just end it all? I am really wondering why the street people have succeeded in not contracting the virus. When I was in SF last fall, the defication , urination and needles was apparent. We heard the street cleaners in the morning washing away the stench,

MOO

I don't believe it is true. I think it is purely political fear-mongering by irresponsible news media who refused to name their source.

JMO

Totally agree.

Google will partner with US government to develop a nationwide coronavirus website, company says

Google will partner with US government to develop a nationwide coronavirus website, company says - CNNPolitics

CureVac said it has been in contact with many organizations and global authorities, but denied "rumors of an acquisition" in a statement Sunday to Business Insider.

Business Insider

Australia

Woolworths has become the first supermarket giant to announce it will open early with a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and disabled to stock up without being caught up in the panic-buying process.

Woolworths opens early for elderly and disabled people to shop during coronavirus frenzy | Daily Mail Online

This is great all supermarkets everywhere should be doing this. I am disabled I walk with crutches and my Dad walks with a walking stick. Going shopping has been a nightmare recently even though we have gone first thing in the morning.

that's amazing! great idea Woolworths!
we don't have Woolworths here any more in ON. Canada

Dr. Birx explained the test yesterday, the WH PC is linked or on YouTube, I’m sure.
If I’m tested today, it is using my specimen from today. Assume Tuesday, I get a negative result. Perfect. But if I contracted the virus after my swab, my result means nothing. Only that I was not positive on test day. I could even get a false negative during incubation, and spread the virus.
So you agree that a test is only as good as the time frame it was done. Then why continue to test if no symptoms are present.

MOO

Same here. There really will be little for the teens yo do during their Covid hiatus. Many will find trouble, imo.
In my daughter's North Jersey town of Hoboken, the parks are roped off so no one can use them..or get in. Curfew in town 10pm to 5am. Also schools closed. My two year old grandson is giving her and SIL a run on patience.

Best thing IMO, though as NYC is a major hotspot.

Will they issue guns with bullets to just end it all? I am really wondering why the street people have succeeded in not contracting the virus. When I was in SF last fall, the defication , urination and needles was apparent. We heard the street cleaners in the morning washing away the stench,

MOO
How would we know, friend? How would we know if "the street people" are sick or not?

Dr. Birx explained the test yesterday, the WH PC is linked or on YouTube, I’m sure.
If I’m tested today, it is using my specimen from today. Assume Tuesday, I get a negative result. Perfect. But if I contracted the virus after my swab, my result means nothing. Only that I was not positive on test day. I could even get a false negative during incubation, and spread the virus.
So what do you want the president to do regarding he has tested negative.

How long have you been closely following this thread and this virus? I notice that the longer and more closely someone has followed the trajectory of the virus since Wuhan the more concerned they are and less likely to think this is nonsense.

Since people cannot be convinced to do their part (continuing to sneeze into their hands and handle money or touch pads, continuing to cough freely into the air, packing into bars, spring break events, shows), then stricter measures are going to considered necessary more and more by government officials and supported by the public.

The numbers do match the “hysteria”. China controlled the crisis with severe measures that I found appalling. They went door to door with temperature checks and hauled people out of their homes, screaming, and shoved them into quarantine camps. They forced people to remain inside and the streets went totally dead.

That’s how they controlled the spread. That should scare the hell out of everyone. Because that’s how they controlled it and the numbers were still high.

26% of those who needed hospital care needed to be in the ICU. Death rate for those who tested positive was what, about ten times the rate of the flu?

People survive but some with permanent lung damage.

I try hard to keep perspective. We have a problem though with continued minimization, confusion and misinformation. And that has exacerbated the spread.

bears repeating a few times!

The numbers alone indeed DO support the shutdowns. People aren’t understanding.

We have to stop looking at just the death rates. The influx of hospitalizations is more than our healthcare systems can cope with when this thing takes off. And then the death rate increases to up to 6% or so because people can’t be treated. They’re being left to die for want of medical equipment and personnel.

I don’t totally disagree, but so far, the only numbers reported that match the expected increase have come from Italy. My only point is that people can’t look at the reported numbers alone. Things are not being shut down on a whim - and things will get worse if social distancing isn’t taken seriously.

Don’t focus on 6,500 deaths - it’s a drop in the bucket out of 7.8 billion people. Those numbers are misleading whether accurate or not.

I posted about this in my town. At a local sports bar a few younger guys were spitting at each other while under the influence. Yes, in public! I called the establishment, the manager was not concerned. I emailed corporate, asking them to review video, no reply yet.
I’m not trying to be rude, but I think more people are skeptical than taking this as a real concern. Sure, a neighbor might be nice or offer this or that & we will help someone. But it is what it is & from my vantage point, it ain’t all lovey dovey.
People are pissed. Not about a virus, but about restrictions. Jmo
I foresee crime on the rise as well as scams. I don’t mean scams over the cost of Lysol wipes, I think a certain sector cherish the thought of drawing a check for nothing, and people behind on their bills way before we heard of CoVid 19 expect their arrears will be paid. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astridAnthony