Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for updates on the senators who have self isolated because they came into contact with someone who tested positive for the virus. There are 5 I think.
Lindsay Graham Has been in isolation for several days and last already had taken a test but the results weren’t back yet. That was days ago. The Senate is in session tomorrow right? How will that work?

And the NBA players, last I read there were three positive. Has anyone heard any updates about the basketball world?

a friend of mine was buried yesterday, I did not attend but heard appx 230 did pay respects. I wonder when funerals will be added to the list....thinking of tears, coughing,hugging.
Also the CDC recommends limiting functions to 50 or less. WTH heck is a future bride to do, if the invitations mailed out already? Yikes.
Skype? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :p MOO

They are doing to set schools up to do childcare for essential workers and people who don’t have care - should be up and running a week from Monday. We just got an email about that - at least that’s what our school district is doing. If you can keep kids home - do and that will take the numbers down. I’m fortunate my kids don’t need sitters at their ages. I feel for parents of young kids who may not have help.

I don't believe what we are being told about the surgical masks. They do offer at least some protection. But you really need a N95 or N99 and those would protect for sure.
But think about that-we are being told that if somebody has covid, that person wearing surgical mask would protect others.
Since people often don't even know they have it, wouldn't everyone wearing a mask protect everybody?
You see in Asia a lot of people are wearing masks. And they are the countries that seemed to have been able to flatten the curve so far.

Here's the difference as I understand it.

When a person is ill, and the disease is in their body, the primary way it leaves their body and gets into the air is via droplets (liquid) when they sneeze or cough. These are relatively larger (though still pretty darn small) droplets that would be retained (or mostly retained even if not 100%) by a mask.

But once the virus is out in the air, regardless of how it got there, it can be breathed in by healthy people walking past and breathing the air that contains the virus. At that stage the virus is not in droplets but is just the molecules of the virus -- I suppose just carried aloft on the movement of air? Anyway those virus molecules are small enough that they can move through the fabric of a mask -- just like air moves through the mask when you breathe.

So that's why outgoing virus from a person is captured by a mask when incoming virus to a person is not captured.

Also, people wore masks in Asia prior to this virus, and I think that was largely due to severe air pollution.

But I do understand the feeling that a mask can't hurt and might help, and I guess that's true other than the shortage of masks and the need to conserve them for the ill folks and the health care provders.

MOO

Oh no. I was afraid of this.

Just went to order instacart. They don’t have delivery available til next week.

I have NEVER seen that EVER.

ETA: OMG just tried to call them to see if it varies per store, etc—thirty minute phone wait.

a friend of mine was buried yesterday, I did not attend but heard appx 230 did pay respects. I wonder when funerals will be added to the list....thinking of tears, coughing,hugging.
Also the CDC recommends limiting functions to 50 or less. WTH heck is a future bride to do, if the invitations mailed out already? Yikes.

The memorial for a person we knew will be held in a couple of weeks and earlier they asked that only family attend..less than 250. But the family is huge, probably more than 50 if you count grandkids, etc. It might be possible to live stream it to the overflow. Personally, I’d postpone it if possible.

I really feel for anyone who has major personal events planned, whether weddings, funerals, baby showers, etc. It’s so disappointing to have to limit guests at this late date. But I’m sure once the shock has worn off, people will rise to the occasion and get creative. This is a situation in which everyone has to make sacrifices for the greater good. For some of our loved ones our event could prove fatal. But there will be solutions once we have a chance to think about it this way.

I would hope businesses "do the right thing" and close to prevent the spread. That so not the case. I live in a small town, our two theaters have announced daily matinees with discount rates, the local game rooms running specials to give the kids something to do while out of school.

Our local health dept and government don't seem to mind. Its insane.

Moo
We have several large manufacturing plants in my town, none have announced plans to close. Toyota employs 8k or more. Moo

Instacart is already overloaded and unavailable til mid next week.

So I googled King Sooopers to get the number to see if they deliver and this came up:

Colorado King Soopers employee tests positive for coronavirus as stores grapple with high demand
UPDATED: March 15, 2020 at 2:03 p.m.

“A Denver King Soopers employee has tested positive for the novel coronavirus as the grocery chain grapples with panicked shoppers and packed stores.”

[...]

“Overwhelmed by shoppers, King Soopers on Saturday announced it was reducing store hours at all locations in the state to 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., rather than the typical 5 a.m. to midnight. The move was intended to give employees a chance to restock.”

——

I’m going to take that delivery date for next week. No way I’m breaking isolation. I’m almost on Day 8.

——

@Oregonmama how’s your isolation going?

The memorial for a person we knew will be held in a couple of weeks and earlier they asked that only family attend..less than 250. But the family is huge, probably more than 50 if you count grandkids, etc. It might be possible to live stream it to the overflow. Personally, I’d postpone it if possible.

I really feel for anyone who has major personal events planned, whether weddings, funerals, baby showers, etc. It’s so disappointing to have to limit guests at this late date. But I’m sure once the shock has worn off, people will rise to the occasion and get creative. This is a situation in which everyone has to make sacrifices for the greater good. For some of our loved ones our event could prove fatal. But there will be solutions once we have a chance to think about it this way.
Aint that the truth.

I think we will have bigger problems if this is a serious virus and it grows. In Iran and China there are mass graves. In Italy no funerals are allowed. I heard China was burning bodies. Of course I hope it isn’t true. My point is that it’s all frightening either way. If this is fake news as some say, then what the heck is really going on? Is this some kind of mass drill? And if it’s truly a virus killing the sick and elderly, I am not sure what can be done. It’s certainly a time for prayer and great reflection. All of us should be doing our part to be sanitary, clean and help others as much as is possible.
We all have varied opinions but we must take this seriously.
As far as a bride sending out invitations, there’s such a thing as cancellation. Schools aren’t having Proms either. Churches can’t congregate the way they want to.
We all want everyone to stay healthy.

Earlier I commented about the huge number of people at Kobe’s memorial. I know it was early in Feb, so more than a month ago, but the incubation period seems to vary with one stated as 27 days, previously discussed.
Idk if Chas Barkley got his results, I’ll look.
I have been looking for updates on the senators who have self isolated because they came into contact with someone who tested positive for the virus. There are 5 I think.
Lindsay Graham Has been in isolation for several days and last already had taken a test but the results weren’t back yet. That was days ago. The Senate is in session tomorrow right? How will that work?

And the NBA players, last I read there were three positive. Has anyone heard any updates about the basketball world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa