MA MA - Simone Ridinger, 17, Sherborn, 2 Sept 1977

I don't get why people find it strange/unlikely that the old fella can remember what she was wearing 9 yrs later....so long as his story is true or part true?

Presuming he was telling the truth.....he was given Simone, didn't pick her up hitch hiking, so he's not stated or claimed to regularly pick up hitch hikers......still with me!.... then in the 'unusual situation' i would be less surprised if he couldn't remember what she was wearing, remember it would have been his only interaction/memory of what she looked like.If my memory was good enough to actually recognise someone i had met once (yrs are irrelevant if person is recognised) .....i'm pretty certain i'd remember what they were wearing.
Even if the State Trooper part is unfounded, i still believe if he recognised her face he would remember what she was wearing.
I do however agree that i find it "unbeliveable" in a shocked way, that he never mentioned the (in his mind) strange encounter that day....unless the encounter happened but there was a reason to keep it from everybody else!

I think that his story was true, but I think he recognized Simone right away, as soon as the story hit the papers. I think it the reason why it took him nine years to go to LE was that he didn't want to get involved. I think his sense of obligation ultimately caught up with him. I think he remembered Simone vividly because he thought about her often from the moment he found out that she was missing, knowing that he should come forward but not wanting to potentially have his life disrupted.

I think that his story was true, but I think he recognized Simone right away, as soon as the story hit the papers. I think it the reason why it took him nine years to go to LE was that he didn't want to get involved. I think his sense of obligation ultimately caught up with him. I think he remembered Simone vividly because he thought about her often from the moment he found out that she was missing, knowing that he should come forward but not wanting to potentially have his life disrupted.

sorry but no way Rip Van Wrinkle’s story is true. Of all the people on 95 that morning, by shear coincidence A Mass State Trooper with a young Simone in his car pulls him for???? And by an incredible stroke of luck you are going to the same place she is going? Incredible! She is going to Marthas Vineyard and you drop her off in Hyannis This girl later goes missing and you never say a word to your wife or LE. Nine years later you tell LE but still cannot bring yourself to tell your wife or son??

If I recall you had her partying with the Kennedys. Really?

@jgfitzge
Your slanted language doesn't actually add any weight to your arguments; you only think it does.
-
Have you ever been pulled over by highway patrol? Troopers pretty much always ask drivers where they're headed. The trooper likely asked the old man to give Simone a ride after he found out where the old man was headed—which was the same place probably 75% of the cars going that direction on the freeway that day were headed considering that it was a holiday weekend.
-
You're trying to pretend that the old man's story relies on some magical coincidence, but it doesn't—not at all.
-
And you find it odd that an old man wouldn't tell his wife that he had given a ride to a teenage girl? Really? Moreover, some men of that generation barely said two words a day to their wives beyond asking them what was for dinner—sad but true; maybe the old man was one of those guys.
-
And no, I didn't have Simone "partying with the Kennedy's," but I see how someone who doesn't know how to read might have gotten that out of my earlier posts.

Let's assume she was kidnapped while hitchhiking...if it was a local, they were probably familiar with a secluded dumping site. With it being labor day weekend, a passerby would most likely not. Just thinking of no body found, clothes, jewelry......do we know how extensive the search was?
I'm not familiar with this area so
Also, two different reports on attire...work clothes and skirt with boots. Depending on the description you heard at the time, if you were along that route and heard work clothes, you might be less to call in with a tip if the person you spotted walking had on something different.

Never heard of anyone else ever seeing Simone after she left work either. The only sighting, if true, was the elderly man's story.

Never heard of anyone else ever seeing Simone after she left work either. The only sighting, if true, was the elderly man's story.
Unfortunately, the old man waited so long to come forward that no one would remember seeing Simone at the rotary in Hyannisport, even if she waited there long enough to hitch a ride. One plausible scenario is that she tried to thumb a ride from the rotary to the ferry dock and was abducted, raped, and killed. It's also possible that she had plans to meet someone in Hyannisport. She had an uncle who lived nearby, if I recall, so she had a connection to the mainland in that area.

There are documented indifferences in regards to her attire. Some state work uniform others say a skirt and boots. Either way, she was carrying a bag....so she could have changed. With it being a busy labor day weekend, do we know if there were any other sightings besides the elderly man?
Did anything ever mention a red jacket? WV case from today mentioned blue blouse, white shoes and I saw on a Facebook post that someone thought they read somewhere about a uniform though I could not find any mention of it. A red coat with a white stripe across the chest was also found with the remains. It appeared to be very old/vintage.

Never heard of a red coat..

Heard of two attire stories: her waitress uniform with white sneakers.
The other description was a long skirt with boots...
She wore alot of turquoise jewelry and rings and was carrying a duffle bag.

There's quite a resemblance but the UID seems to be quite a bit larger than Ridinger--5'8" versus Ridinger's 5'2". Also the UID has blue eyes but Ridinger's are listed as brown.

The detective who was breathing life into this case posted a few times here about a year and a half ago....no posts since then. I wish he would update any progress since then.

'I think there’s a chance': Sherborn police search for teen who disappeared in 1977

Police are hopeful they can solve the mystery of Simone Ridinger, a Sherborn teenager who was last seen 43 years ago this month, Wicked Local reported.

“If we do our due diligence, I think there’s a chance,” said Sherborn police Detective James Godinho. “At the end of the day, our primary goal is to find the girl, put it to a proper rest, and give some closure to the family.”

I didn't know Simone had an entry on Find-A-Grave.
Simone Stephanie Ridinger (1960-1977) - Find A...
This is some of what they had to say about her:
Ridinger was fiercely independent, a free spirit, a gifted pianist who was working to earn her GED.

I didn't know she was a pianist. This leads me to believe she could have struck out on her own to explore her talent and could have easily made it on her own. Not saying she couldn't have met with foul play, only that it's not out of the realm of possibility she left of her volition initially.

I didn't know Simone had an entry on Find-A-Grave.
Simone Stephanie Ridinger (1960-1977) - Find A...
This is some of what they had to say about her:

I didn't know she was a pianist. This leads me to believe she could have struck out on her own to explore her talent and could have easily made it on her own. Not saying she couldn't have met with foul play, only that it's not out of the realm of possibility she left of her volition initially.

Then where is she? Teaching piano under a new name? I suppose it is technically possible, but the odds are that it is unlikely

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back