Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

This case perplexes me. I honestly don't have any "hunch" as to what happened. I think it's maybe because we don't know much about him. Something happened involving someone in his social circle? A significant other? Did he just run away? Plan to meet someone?

The 'lying' to his mother about his shift times has me confused too. It makes it seem like he had a plan to do something.

I'm thinking someone else is involved with this, but also keep thinking about how one of his family members said that he really only is either at home, school, or work.

Truly confusing. I really hope this bright young man can return home to his family.

I still think this could be related to college admissions. I wonder if the family has been able to determine whether any letters went out to him around the time that he went missing. He seems like a studious kid. But kids make mistakes at school and sometimes end up just missing acceptance to their dream school. It can be a lot of heartache for a motivated kid. It's really tough when your classmates know that you've applied to a certain school and then you find out that you didn't get in. You kind of feel embarrassed about it.

LordanARTS just did a brilliant video in YT of this and if fact mentioned your theory! I'm glad this case it getting more coverage.

I'm wondering maybe if we look at the snapchat message differently.

When I saw the photo from the snapchat (where he is looking down to the photo), I actually thought he looked happy

So what if the message wasn't negative but a joke and actually it was really good news. I know that sounds silly but maybe like a joke.

I do think he got in a car and he had the full intention of returning back to target in time for his mother to pick him up.

I really hope we get positive news because his family look to be in so much pain and it's genuinely heartbreaking to see.

MOO

That Snapchat, along with the lack of shift at Target, ending with his disappearance... there has to be one big piece of the puzzle that's missing. I pray Abdi is safe. I feel like there has to be a car at play here otherwise cameras would've caught him. I pray for news soon for his poor mother that's spending her time sobbing in her son's room.

Just moo
To me he knew before his shift ended that he was going somewhere and that he was going to be or wanted to be gone for many hours (lied to his mom) he either was told by the person who was picking him up or he asked said person to not pick him up at Target which to me sounds like not wanting to be seen getting picked up. Lots of questions and no real answers but I hope he comes home to his family today, safe and sound.

In regard to his shift that day and whether or not he was scheduled, I think both are true. The article below states his mom dropped him off around 1:20, he was scheduled to work til 5:30, around 5 he called her and said his shift had been extended and to pick him up at 9:30, but when she got there, coworkers said he left when his shift ended at 5:30.

I’m guessing since it was a snow day and school was cancelled, a bunch of employees called in and said they couldn’t get to work in the weather. Target scrambled, trying to find people who could come in and Abdi volunteered. Since she dropped him off at 1:30, I’m going to guess he agreed to work 1:30 to 5:30. All IMO.

As to what happened at 5 to tell his mom he was working late, I truly don’t know. It’s my opinion right now that he decided to meet someone at the last minute and it was going to take awhile but he had every intention of being back by 9:30 to meet his mom. I too think he got in a vehicle vs. the bus and I can’t make any scenario fit other than he met with foul play. I’m hoping he actually left of his own volition, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me think that’s a viable possibility. I hope it is though!

And I do agree a bit about the lack of coverage. There have been several stories in MSM but I don’t have the sense that the general public is all that interested in it. Also, they had a search today at 12:30, but didn’t announce it until 3:30 on Saturday. Less than 24 hours notice to the public likely will not get all the help that may be needed to find something. From some of the photos I saw online, they were searching at the river near 2nd Avenue.

'Every time I think about him I feel panic': Search party planned for missing Des Moines teen

In regard to his shift that day and whether or not he was scheduled, I think both are true. The article below states his mom dropped him off around 1:20, he was scheduled to work til 5:30, around 5 he called her and said his shift had been extended and to pick him up at 9:30, but when she got there, coworkers said he left when his shift ended at 5:30.

I’m guessing since it was a snow day and school was cancelled, a bunch of employees called in and said they couldn’t get to work in the weather. Target scrambled, trying to find people who could come in and Abdi volunteered. Since she dropped him off at 1:30, I’m going to guess he agreed to work 1:30 to 5:30. All IMO.

As to what happened at 5 to tell his mom he was working late, I truly don’t know. It’s my opinion right now that he decided to meet someone at the last minute and it was going to take awhile but he had every intention of being back by 9:30 to meet his mom. I too think he got in a vehicle vs. the bus and I can’t make any scenario fit other than he met with foul play. I’m hoping he actually left of his own volition, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me think that’s a viable possibility. I hope it is though!

And I do agree a bit about the lack of coverage. There have been several stories in MSM but I don’t have the sense that the general public is all that interested in it. Also, they had a search today at 12:30, but didn’t announce it until 3:30 on Saturday. Less than 24 hours notice to the public likely will not get all the help that may be needed to find something. From some of the photos I saw online, they were searching at the river near 2nd Avenue.

'Every time I think about him I feel panic': Search party planned for missing Des Moines teen
I think you’re probably spot on about his work schedule. As someone who has managed a schedule “roadmap” on a similar snow day (that’s the term in my line of work), it’s not surprising that what was worked doesn’t match what was scheduled.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the general public isn’t interested though, I still see posts shared daily in my Facebook feed. But the info shared is pretty much the same article that was released a few days after his disappearance. The only detail added is that there might have been a ping somewhere - not real specific where, but maybe kinda somewhat in the vicinity of Prospect Park.

If the public’s going to stay interested we’re going to need some more info. From LE, the private investigator, his family, his friends... something. We can’t just keep imagining what might have happened and expect to find him.

I think you’re probably spot on about his work schedule. As someone who has managed a schedule “roadmap” on a similar snow day (that’s the term in my line of work), it’s not surprising that what was worked doesn’t match what was scheduled.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the general public isn’t interested though, I still see posts shared daily in my Facebook feed. But the info shared is pretty much the same article that was released a few days after his disappearance. The only detail added is that there might have been a ping somewhere - not real specific where, but maybe kinda somewhat in the vicinity of Prospect Park.

If the public’s going to stay interested we’re going to need some more info. From LE, the private investigator, his family, his friends... something. We can’t just keep imagining what might have happened and expect to find him.

That’s reassuring to hear that people on your Facebook are sharing about it...unfortunately they aren’t on mine (maybe I need to find some different friends :)). I completely agree that more info needs to be released if the public is going to stay interested - there has to be some additional information that can be released that won’t compromise the investigation. And it’s a bit frustrating to see the PI keep saying, “I’m getting closer to the answers I need” or “Everyday there is progress” without any context or explanation surrounding those statements.

From the Des Moines police scanner this morning: 43xx North Baseline, kids digging in a sand pile found what could be remains. Police and detective called to scene. I haven’t googled the proximity to Target, Prospect Park etc. but this may be of interest in this case.

Last edited:
Oh no. Do they send a medical examiner to determine if it’s animal vs. humans or are police able to do that if it’s obviously animal?

In the meantime, the Des Moines police department has a Facebook post with a link to their official podcast, which is about Abdi this time. I haven’t had a chance to listen but wanted to share.

Des Moines Police

That’s a good question re: sending the ME to identify remains...I have to feed my kids right now or I would google it! Maybe someone else knows...

And me too re: the snowdrift/sand pile...so sad.

I checked online, and that appears to be a fairly rural area with some sort of auto salvage yard and a few similar businesses and then some large homes on open land.

I cannot imagine a dead body being in that area and no one noticed or smelled anything...or animals didn’t dig it up before the kids...

I can’t even imagine digging through a foot or more of snow and digging some more into a sand pile underneath... I’m sure it could be done, just not exactly inconspicuous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back