Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

I'm having a difficult time imagining how a human skeleton ends up in a pile of sand. Since this is in the north and in a rural area, it could be a sand pile used to treat roads in the winter. But how does a person end up in the sand pile?

I'm having a difficult time imagining how a human skeleton ends up in a pile of sand. Since this is in the north and in a rural area, it could be a sand pile used to treat roads in the winter. But how does a person end up in the sand pile?
I think he is killed and put there, but it is surprising that the body wasn't found for so long. MOO MOO

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a homeless person. Maybe thought they could burrow in to warm up and somehow sunk in? Is that even possible?

MAR 17, 2020
Polk County officials: Children found human remains on north Des Moines property
The Polk County Sheriff's Office was called at 10:30 a.m. to 4330 N. Baseline St. after someone reported that their grandchildren were playing in a dirt pile on the property and found what appear to be human remains. Detectives believe the bones found have been there a while, according to a news release from the sheriff's office.

Authorities: Likely human bones found near Des Moines home

0318_PolkCoRemains_CNN.png

Authorities are investigating what appear to be human bones found on a property in northern Des Moines. (CNN)

I think he is killed and put there, but it is surprising that the body wasn't found for so long. MOO MOO
The remains have not been identified so we don't know that this is Abdi or even that the remains are a "he." MOO

I was answering the question "How does a person end up in a sand pile?" and I wasn't clear in my answer. I didn't mean to say it was AS, just that a person would have to be put there by another person, most likely after a murder. They most likely wouldn't bury themselves. Anyway, I'm sorry to mislead with my comment.

I am surprised we still have nothing more in this investigation. My first thought was drug related. Of course this is all just speculation and I’m just writing this to encourage other ideas in hopes that this case can hopefully be solved.

I agree with most, he probably made arrangements while at Target. I can’t remember the time line right at the moment but if I’m correct, he was inside target for more than just a couple mins. It was not like he was just dropped off there, went in until his mom was out of view, and the walked to a meeting point. This could all be clarified if we knew whether or not he clocked in and picked up a shift.

I do however believe he intentionally lied to his mother to buy him some time to take care of something else or hang out with someone. Otherwise, he would have just called her to see if she could come right away (unless he knew she wasn’t available until later-which then throws my entire theory out the window).

In my experience, especially living in NE and spending most of my time in IA and NE, drugs are a pretty big problem around here. I am still shocked by the # of young adults (high school and 20’s) that are on drugs, many of which are extremely intelligent and did very well academically. Addiction does not discriminate. Is it possible he bought some time with mom, to meet up with someone who had drugs or that he was planning on using with/smoking a bowl with/ etc. He prob planned on being dropped back off in time for mom to pick him up. And no one would know a thing about it. But something went wrong and here we are.

Just a thought from someone who used to make every excuse I could think of (I.e extended shift) to hide my problem from others and self medicate.

How devastating to have a missing loved one & have to call off organized searches because of a friggn virus.
To be real honest, I don’t think these searches were much more than a show of support anyway. I don’t see any real reason to suspect anything related to Abdi would be found in that area, especially considering much of it would have been inaccessible at the time of his disappearance. By now investigators surely have access to his phone, cloud and app data - that’s where the real search needs to happen.

To be real honest, I don’t think these searches were much more than a show of support anyway. I don’t see any real reason to suspect anything related to Abdi would be found in that area, especially considering much of it would have been inaccessible at the time of his disappearance. By now investigators surely have access to his phone, cloud and app data - that’s where the real search needs to happen.
You’re right- I wonder what LE’s found in that data- and if they’ve been able to share any info with fam or keeping all tightly under wraps.

DEVELOPING: Body found in water near Pleasant Hill

This isn’t very close to where Abdi went missing from, or from where his phone last pinged, but it’s still in the Des Moines metro area. Though, not to be graphic, I’m not sure if it was Abdi, if his remains would still be readily identifiable as a male body?

edit: Though the more I think about it, we did have a male jump into the river from a bridge a couple of weeks ago and it could be him too I suppose....sad day for someone’s family regardless.

DEVELOPING: Body found in water near Pleasant Hill

This isn’t very close to where Abdi went missing from, or from where his phone last pinged, but it’s still in the Des Moines metro area. Though, not to be graphic, I’m not sure if it was Abdi, if his remains would still be readily identifiable as a male body?

edit: Though the more I think about it, we did have a male jump into the river from a bridge a couple of weeks ago and it could be him too I suppose....sad day for someone’s family regardless.
Your edit maybe correct, Des Moines register stating a middle aged male.

Man's body pulled from Des Moines River, authorities say

Oh no. Do they send a medical examiner to determine if it’s animal vs. humans or are police able to do that if it’s obviously animal?

In the meantime, the Des Moines police department has a Facebook post with a link to their official podcast, which is about Abdi this time. I haven’t had a chance to listen but wanted to share.

Des Moines Police
They'll normally call out the ME, some animal bones can resemble human remains - from a legal standpoint you want a medical professional to make that call.

I really want to know what happened to Abdi. More importantly, I want him to return home to receive a proper burial filled with love and honor. Unfortunately, at this point, I have doubts as to whether he is alive or not. This case is very close to my heart. I unfortunately believe foul play is involved. May Abdi please return or be found so he can be peacefully & solemnly be laid to rest.

Abdi, I pray the Rosary for you and your loved ones every day. Please come home.

May he be found soon; hopefully, safe and sound. We love you, Abdi!

Abdi: You seem like such a dedicated, wonderful, well-rounded individual, and your loved ones deserve to know the truth. If you are out there, Abdi, help is never "too far" away. If you would prefer to stay 'away,' at least let someone know you are safe. You are accepted and very loved no matter what. They will respect your wishes but let your loved ones know you are in good condition so they may stop worrying. It's completely understandable to be in this type of situation, but please let someone know that you are safe. ❤️

I am hoping and praying for the very best for you EVERY day, Abdi.

Lots Of Love To ALL :) Especially Abdi, as well as his family, friends, and loved ones.

Edited By Me: To add extra thoughts. Forgive me. ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back