Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.

So far. Some epidemiologists cite Italy's youth's very high degree of sociality as a factor, but there's also the fact that someone brought CoVid19 into Northern Italy, probably as part of a trip that went from Venice to Milan. This was before WHO declared a pandemic and way before the first cases in Germany. Germany got to take measures well before Italy did.

Italy also has the world's second highest number of people over the age of 80 (per capita) and many people still see extended family regularly.

I'm guessing Germany has more respirators and ventilators per capita as well.

Set my elderly neighbours up with a 24 of tp, a bag of milk, 2 x mini hand
Sanitizers, and a container of lysol wipes.
Told them I go out shopping only once a week, but if they were to make a list and phone me on Friday, I'd gladly pick anything up for them, if it's in stock.

Then headed to town to grab some more cash from the instateller,
and the bank had a health warning notice on the entrance doors,
Ie if you're coughing, fever, etc.

our banks are drive-thru only since Monday.

Personally I’d go at night. I’ve noticed the shops are a lot busier in the day time

We don't know where Chelly is, but where I am, it's the opposite. Most people are still working, and then crowding into stores at 5 pm to buy everything they can (WalMart is particularly prone to this working crowd after 5 pm). And I agree that it will also be cleaner in the a.m. If they've just been closed for 12 hours, that's a plus (the longer the close, the better).

...Many of us can get by with only needing to go to the grocery every 7-10 days, I’d like to not be in danger, if possible, and be able to purchase TP, lol.

Yes, that's a great way to reduce the number of people in the grocery store, and probably a good way to keep a handle on the supplies coming into the store and going out.

A lot of young people are being responsible. Let's not give them a bad reputation just because a fraction of them are being idiots.

Laughing just a little because it is ever thus, in every generation, including mine. There are always idiots who stand out and ruin it for the rest.

That being said, it may just be “a fraction of them” being idiots, but that fraction could kill me...and a lot of others from my generation. (I’m 74; my husband is 75).

Cases exceed 200,000 worldwide. —
U.S. to close border with Canada. —
Hospital ship heads to NYC harbor. —
COVID-19 has now spread to all European nations. — Italy's death toll soars.

Today's biggest developments:

• 10 new deaths in Seattle area
  • Virus now present in all European countries
  • All U.K. schools to close
  • Italy's death toll continues to soar
  • U.S. closing border with Canada
ABC News on Twitter (short video)

Set my elderly neighbours up with a 24 of tp, a bag of milk, 2 x mini hand
Sanitizers, and a container of lysol wipes.
Told them I go out shopping only once a week, but if they were to make a list and phone me on Friday, I'd gladly pick anything up for them, if it's in stock.

Then headed to town to grab some more cash from the instateller,
and the bank had a health warning notice on the entrance doors,
Ie if you're coughing, fever, etc.

This is a lovely thing to do, you are so kind. Thank you.

Thank you, but I don't mod, I have enough stress in my life, my job is to keep the forums organized and clean, but to tell you the truth, I have been very consumed with what has been going on with coronavirus since mid-January (when my daughter flew home from southeast Asia) that I have neglected posting new cases, have no idea what is going on with other missing persons cases I've been following, I feel awful.

On that note, I haven't been around the past day or so because so many things have been happening at work.

First, I dropped my phone in a puddle yesterday morning getting out of the car coming into work, after I retraced my steps I found it. As such, a new phone will be coming on Saturday. So I'm phoneless during this crisis with both my daughters living out of state in New York and Florida. Luckily, they are sheltering in place and working from home, my daughter sent me a picture of her on the streets of New York City wearing a hat, surgical gloves, and an N95 mask. I love them.

As far as my (real) job is concerned, all work has just about stopped. Managers have left to keep the amount of people low in the office. Some support staff are left, others took work home and we are going to a skeleton crew. My company has decided to shut down for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. They just advised us to come in yesterday and today to wrap up everything we are working on. They are offering to pay us a full salary for the next 2 weeks. After that they will re-evaluate and if the situation is the same or worse, we will all have to file for unemployment.

Yesterday, I was told that a manager's daughter's boyfriend has the virus, the daughter has symptoms, and the manager was in contact with both. Did he self-isolate? NO! He walked into the office yesterday, freaked everyone out to the point where HR had to tell him to go home. He had been in my office, touching my files, he was all over everything the last 3 days. He was not happy, screaming how he shouldn't be forced to go home, he does not have any symptoms, this is all overblown by the media ... yada, yada, yada. How many other people are walking around thinking the same? Makes me shudder.

I've never had 2 weeks off in a row (even for a vacation). My husband is disabled and more of a homebody, so I don't have to worry about him. The two of us have decided we are going to take a ride to the beach each day, bring the dog, and take a walk, just to get out of the house until isolation is mandatory. We thought that would be good to do, no worries about running into other people at this time of year.

I just feel so defeated. I cry every day, angry that no one in governmental authority, or friends, family, my boss, took this seriously. I feel so bad, tried to warn people 2 months ago.

I also cry whenever I hear about the "old people". I want to donate my time and even my own money to help whoever is out there, alone, scared, and/or unable to leave home - to help them in whatever way I can. Does anyone know of any place I can reach out to? Sometimes, I thank God that my parents have since passed, I don't have to worry about their health or whether or not they have eaten, if they have enough food. Geez, I'm crying again.

In the meantime, for the next 2 weeks or so, I'll be in and out here. I have no clue what went on yesterday in the world, other than a possible $1,000 each from the government, taxes are delayed 90 days, and that they were threatening to shut down NYC and Hoboken, NJ.

Sorry for rambling, but thanks for letting me "talk" it out here.

P.S. I just saw an email from work, sent at 11:45pm LAST NIGHT that a tenant on the 20th-floor of 225 Liberty in NYC (our NY office in the Freedom Tower) has been confirmed with coronovirus and that NO ONE from our office is to report to work today until further notice.

Take care everyone.
@JerseyGirl I am so sorry. I know, I have tried to warn folks, even my daugnter is still not taking serious. There is so much stress about the future.

Going to the beach, hearing the waves will calming.

Take care of yourself. Well all be here...

This situation became more dire after officials announced Monday that a 5-year-old New Jersey boy had tested positive for coronavirus along with his parents. It was the youngest case reported in the state.
Sad, huh? I hope they all recover ASAP
Now it is being spread by youth who think it is their God given right to have a good time!
Right. So disrespectful.
The last thing our LE needs to be bothered with is a bunch of drunk college students who think they're invincible.
And potentially spitting or vomiting on/near LE!

I've not witnessed this young people bashing you talk of.
we are entitled to our opinion. I haven’t noticed it either. What I have noted with my own two eyes is noncompliance by many of the under 35 in my immediate area, as well as belligerent comments on health & gov’t sites. College students from my town traveled to CA, NV, FL,TX, SC.....they have no return date, they can finish classes from the moon.

A healthy 8 month old was diagnosed with Coronavirus this morning, and no the majority won’t stay home
So our Gov said the baby is doing well, hopefully that doesn’t change. Poor thing.

I'm behind, this might have already been posted, but apparently this story was false. WHO gives the tests to less developed countries.

Coronavirus testing: WHO and CDC never discussed providing test kits to the US, global health agency says - CNN
That article details some contradictory information, such as WHO only providing protocol for developing tests, while a few paragraphs below WHO relates how many actual TESTS they distributed in other countries while CDC was insisting on developing their own. Anyway, whether or not the US in hind sight claims they didn't ask for WHO tests, they decided to develop their own thru the CDC/FDA, and produced a plethora of faulty tests which they had to recall because of bad reagents that produced inconclusive results. This put off testing in the USA for weeks, until private labs started to develop their own, and received exemptions from the FDA to market untested products because of emergency. A virtual failure of public health policy in the USA, reverting to the private sector to try to save us. While S Korea became the world's best example of taking the bull by its horns, so to speak. Protecting its people through massive testing early on. What Went Wrong with Coronavirus Testing in the U.S.

Last edited:
Been meaning to ask how things are going over there in Sweden? Sounds like you are at a similar stage as the UK from this article. Stay safe!

https://www.thelocal.se/20200317/how-has-the-coronavirus-outbreak-changed-daily-life-in-sweden
Much of the article seems to be true, especially in the larger cities. Here in my corner of south-east Sweden it's not as noticeable, at least not yet. We have 11 cases of Covid-19, but all has been staying at home. I was out shopping today, and as far as I can say, there were more or less the same amount of people around as usual.

I'm certainly not a young people basher. But if the young are doing wrong, two wrongs don't make a right.

Everybody needs to learn to comply...young, old and everyone inbetween!

I've not witnessed this young people bashing you talk of. I've got more issues with my 71 year old father in law !!!
I am not a young person basher either. I am however a high school teacher so I have spent years dealing with 1000s of these kids and they do have an invincible spirit. It is just that this invincible spirit right now is very dangerous. The kids we are seeing videos of now in FL are not high school kids, but are young adults with their own rights. The are very young adults who are not properly digesting the enormity of this situation. If they can't do it, then LE will have to do it for them. I am so sorry that as an educator I have seen how we have released so many kids into adulthood lacking these basic skills of responsibility because we spent so many year concentrating on that stupid TEST (which was just as marketing ploy by the book/ testing companies that have made BILLIONS) and what we succeeded most in is making kids with no common sense. I have said more than once in the past couple of weeks that I hope the education systems changes as a result of what is happening now.

From invoking the "Defense Production Act," to foreclosure and eviction suspensions, Pres. Trump laid out new strategies in combatting the COVID-19 outbreak.

Trading on Wall Street was halted as Trump spoke when circuit breakers kicked in as the Dow plunged.

He announced he was signing the Defense Production Act, which gives him the power to direct civilian businesses to help meet orders for products necessary for the national defense, in addition to deploying two Navy hospital ships. He said one would go to New York -- the state with the most cases of COVID-19.

He later said on Twitter that while he signed the act, he would only "invoke it in a worst case scenario in the future."

Government response updates: Trump calls himself a 'wartime president,' promises 'total victory'

United Kingdom - ASDA Supermarket Email

Dear Customer,

Since I last wrote to you, it has become increasingly clear to us that we must help to shield the most vulnerable in our communities from this virus.

We want to do all we can to support this effort and so have made the decision that on Friday 20th March, from store opening until 9am, we are going to make our larger stores available for those vulnerable people – and those caring for them, to let them shop and get what they need.

So – if you’re in a vulnerable group and need to get your shopping – or are caring for someone in a vulnerable group, we’ll do everything we can to support you in stores on Friday morning before 9am. You can find out the opening time of your local store by clicking here.

To our other customers, please help us do this by leaving your shopping until later in the day. We’re doing everything we can to keep our shelves stocked and our deliveries coming – and our colleagues are doing an amazing job working around the clock to support you. You can stay up to date on our actions here.

Tonight my hubby stopped at Rural King on the way home. We have 10-18 gallon plastic totes with lids. He bought 10-40 lb bags of potting soil for $20. He bought 5 packets of lettuce seeds for $10 and 5 packets of spinach seeds for $10.

We will turn the covered totes upside down on our deck and remove the totes from the lids. We'll place a bag of top soil on each lid. Then with a screwdriver we'll poke holes in the bag about 2 inches apart. Then we'll flip the bag over, still on the lid and cut a rectangle in the center about 2 inches from all 4 sides. We'll loosen the soil and sprinkle a packet of seeds over each bag and cover lightly. Water gently then cover with the totes. Once they sprout we'll remove the totes. Within 2-3 weeks we'll be eating fresh baby lettuce and spinach. If you have space for at least one tote you can have some fresh veggies for little cost.

Everyone, if you have concerns about the crowds in your grocery store, please email your Governor. I am delighted my question was promptly answered & the situation will be resolved ASAP. Many of us can get by with only needing to go to the grocery every 7-10 days, I’d like to not be in danger, if possible, and be able to purchase TP, lol.
I’ll let you know what steps Kroger takes to limit the number of shoppers at any given time, once the plan is in place.
Also, Toyota plant will close Monday & Tuesday. I’m not sure what that will accomplish. Evidently many team members reached out to WLEX to express concerns over their working conditions.
Good idea. I will also do so.

Yes, that's a great way to reduce the number of people in the grocery store, and probably a good way to keep a handle on the supplies coming into the store and going out.

I will absolutely never understand how anyone feels they are exempt from guidelines & they have the right to endanger the public.
I’d love if the stores allowed 25 or less at one time, as one leaves, another enters. We could wait in our cars or at least in the fresh air, with ample space between people.
It can’t take too long for someone to get what they need and checkout. With so many more cases anticipated, more needs to be done, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes