Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of surprised and shocked that the parks are jam packed.

Largely because I walked by a smaller park yesterday and I wouldn't describe it as "full", plus the internal playground was empty... though of course, yesterday I grant it was cold.

I also walked by a large outdoor basketball court and it was empty; so I think from that I had gotten an inflated sense of confidence about self-quarantining against gathering in public places.

I have family on the Oregon coast. Last weekend was packed like the 4th of July. Too many people with time off and kids out of school. These people came in, probably spreading Covid. Which will tax the few small hospitals there. And add insult to injury, they cleaned out the grocery stores to take items home. The Counties had to step in and close all beach parking, hotels, restaurants, and small shops. They had to tell people to go home.

Ok. Really going to bed now.

Goodnight all.

just playing devils advocate as I don’t know anything about the Nebraska scenarios above other than what your post shows.. is it known that the woman who traveled to UK with her family contracted it in UK (but her family did not?)? And how do we know that she did not contract it while back in the States from an asymptomatic person who has never been tested but has it. Could it be that she is not the first infected but the first to test positive? This is where I struggle with the idea of only tracing back and not having the entire community self isolate.

moo, IMO...
iirc, those who were at the YMCA, the emergency rooms where she was seen and local places they knew she had been and members of her family were asked to self-isolate. That's over 1,000 people. I think the conclusion is that she was infected while traveling but whether it was in an aircraft or at an airport, nobody knows. There are no direct flights between Omaha and London.

They initially believed she contracted it in the UK. But, she was in the UK for the 100th birthday celebration for her grandfather and nobody else at that celebration became infected. Her father said she showed no symptoms whatsoever until AFTER she played in the Special Olympics basketball game in Fremont Nebraska which is 25 miles northwest of Omaha. Afterward, she went to several ER's complaining of a headache before one of the hospital's infectious disease physicians realized she had traveled internationally fairly recently and could possibly be contagious. Keep in mind, the Princess Cruise passengers were already in self-quarantine at Camp Ashland and Nebraska Medicine.

The CDC and Nebraska Medicine used the same protocol to transfer her to Nebraska Medicine that was used for the Princess Cruise passengers and the Ebola patients. Last I heard, she is still hospitalized but is no longer in critical condition which was good news.

CALIFORNIA

California Gov. Gavin Newsom just announced that Elon Musk has procured 1,000 ventilators to help with coronavirus response and has brought them to L.A. for distribution.
Soumya on Twitter

Elon Musk connected Trump with the malaria drug theory as well. Elon Musk is very generous with is manufacturing, purchasing and cures.

"We could know within two weeks whether Professor Didier Raoult, the French virologist who heads the Mediterranean infectious and tropical disease institute in Marseille, will go down in history as the man who saved the world from Covid-19, or will be dismissed as an arrogant, misguided scientist who raised false hopes.

Raoult administered a cocktail of hydroxycloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine, used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, and azithromycin, an antibiotic used against bacterial pneumonia, to 24 Covid-19 patients.

US president Donald Trump apparently learned of Raoult’s experiment through a Twitter post by the billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk.”​

Coronavirus: France hoping unorthodox virologist can save world

Last edited:
CARLOS DEL RIO....Executive Associate Dean for Emory at Grady Health....Atlanta, GA

"And while ⁦@DrTedros⁩ says the #COVID19 pandemic is accelerating and the US cases are rapidly increasing as are deaths Trump says in his press conference he is “thinking about ending all restrictions because the flu kills more people”. OMG! Has he lost his mind?" Carlos del Rio on Twitter
Carlos del Rio on Twitter
<modsnip> Trump NEVER said he was "thinking about ending all restrictions."

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Which points out the exact issue that the WHO stresses... to trace trace trace and isolate those contacts who don't know they have been exposed. Which the US is not doing.
My state is doing it but it isn't quite that easy in places like NYC that relies heavily on mass transit. That's why community spread is so much greater in places like NYC than Omaha, Nebraska.

JMO

Acute respiratory distress syndrome is one of the consequences of the virus. Treatment sounds similar to coronavirus intensive care patients - prone position as distress increases.

"In The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Kollengode Ramanathan and colleagues provide excellent recommendations for the use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for patients with respiratory failure from acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) secondary to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)."

gr1.jpg

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30127-2/fulltext
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome is a very serious complication and can be fatal. My dad died on a ventilator after a car accident.

JMO

Last edited:
IMO shocking statement from the CDC about the length of time COVID19 lived aboard Princess Cruise Line Vessel. What does this mean for COVID19 surviving in cities with high population density? Was this why we have been seeing such aggressive chemical spraying in China and South Korea? Are we seeing this level of spraying in US major cities to keep people safe?

----------------------------------------

CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left
PUBLISHED MON, MAR 23 20205:49 PM EDTUPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

KEY POINTS
  • The coronavirus can survive on surfaces for up to 17 days, a study published Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
  • The study examines two public health responses to COVID-19 outbreaks on the Carnival-owned Diamond Princess ship in Japan and the Grand Princess ship in California.
  • The virus “was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated...” the researchers wrote.
106379145-1581082421080rts314d4.jpg

Officers in protective gear enter the cruise ship Diamond Princess, where 10 more people were tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday, to transfer a patient to the hospital after the ship arrived at Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, Japan February 7, 2020.
Kim Kyung-Hoon | Reuters

The coronavirus survived for up to 17 days aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, living far longer on surfaces than previous research has shown, according to new data published Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study examined the Japanese and U.S. government efforts to contain the COVID-19 outbreaks on the Carnival-owned Diamond Princess ship in Japan and the Grand Princess ship in California. Passengers and crew on both ships were quarantined on board after previous guests, who didn’t have any symptoms while aboard each of the ships, tested positive for COVID-19 after landing ashore.

The virus “was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted,” the researchers wrote, adding that the finding doesn’t necessarily mean the virus spread by surface.

“COVID-19 on cruise ships poses a risk for rapid spread of disease, causing outbreaks in a vulnerable population, and aggressive efforts are required to contain spread,” the CDC wrote, reiterating its guidance to vulnerable populations to avoid cruises during the pandemic.

Researchers from the National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University previously found that COVID-19 can last up to three days on plastic and stainless steel. That study also found that the amount of the virus left on those surfaces decreased over time.

The new study set out to determine how “transmission occurred across multiple voyages of several ships.” They noted that as of March 17, there were at least 25 cruise ship voyages with confirmed COVID-19 cases that were detected either during or after the cruise ended.

Almost half, 46.5%, of the infections aboard the Diamond Princess were asymptomatic when they were tested, partially explaining the “high attack rate” of the virus among passengers and crew.

The Diamond Princess and its 3,700 passengers and crew were quarantined at a Japanese port on Feb. 4 after a previous passenger was diagnosed with COVID-19 after he returned to Hong Kong. The ship quickly became what was at the time the largest cluster of confirmed COVID-19 cases outside of China with more than 800 passengers and crew eventually becoming infected.

Nine people died after disembarking the ship. The Japanese government and other nations eventually evacuated their citizens.

The researchers found that 712 of 3,711 people on the Diamond Princess, or 19.2% were infected by COVID-19.

The other ship included in the study, the Grand Princess, was forced to moor off the coast of California after two patients who had disembarked in California tested positive. A total of 78 cases were eventually tied back to the ship across two separate voyages. After several days, California officials brought the ship to the Port of Oakland, where passengers disembarked and were transported to federal quarantine facilities.

The Diamond Princess and Grand Princess accounted for more than 800 total COVID-19 cases, including 10 deaths.

VIDEO04:11
Cruise ship industry has hit ‘worst-case scenario’ because of coronavirus, says CFRA’s Tuna Amobi

CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left

When you think about how much these sports stars and celebs get paid it is disgusting. If anything good comes from this it should be a massive appreciation of our everyday heroes and a backlash against the millions paid to people like footballers and actors. Sickening, really.

I cannot upvote this enough!

These stories are a real concern. I'm not sure if people realize just how thin our services may become and how difficult our lifestyles will be for the next (3?) months. Food deliveries have slowed to a crawl here in California while Instacart, Amazon, Costco, Sam's Club and all the grocery stores are begging for new workers.

This thing is SO contagious, most of us have never experienced anything like this (especially if you were born after 1970).

I have heard it is transmissible through self serve gas pumps. Time to glove up, everybody!

That's not evidence of anything, because some patients improve without any drugs. That's why clinical trials have large number of people, and group given the drugs is compared with group given placebo.
BBM. The patients who improve without any drugs likely were not hospitalized and on ventilators. At Nebraska Medicine, they are providing drugs to critically ill patients. I don't believe there is an ICU on the planet who would put someone on a ventilator and then assume they would "get better" without any medication at all. With Covid-19, there ARE approved drugs.

The purpose of this document is to provide information on two of the approved drugs (chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine) and one of the investigational agents (remdesivir) currently in use in the United States.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Do we know if there is any damage left from this virus health-wise?
It attacks your lungs, and a lot of times it is really bad. I'm just wondering if these people that recover a bad case (ICU) if they will have unhealthy lungs from here on out.

I've seen more information about liver damage than lung damage, but I have seen an article or two about fibrosis of the lungs. I just cant find them now!
Patients with COVID-19 may face risk for liver injury

"Mark Stubbs, from London, was left with liver damage and says that he 'nearly died' after contracting the virus."
Young coronavirus survivor says he was left "unable to move"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member