Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?
POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?
POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

COVID-19 Coronavirus Memorial Thread
______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN WARNING:

This thread is fast moving and labour intensive and we have other active threads that need attention.

Politicizing is NOT allowed. If your post is found to contain political statements or politics in general, it will be removed and a thread ban will be issued which means you will not be able to post in this thread, only read.

Critique your own post before submitting it to the thread to make sure it does not have a political bent; otherwise you may find you lose posting privileges.

Post accordingly.

Hey Everyone,

We are putting together a forum for the virus. If you have any ideas for the categories to be included in the forum please send me a private message. Here is what I am thinking so far:
Each state will have its own thread. We will ask everyone to put in information about their state.
A general discussion where this thread and the past threads will be located.
A media thread of course.
Debunking all the kooky crap out there discussion.
Daily count of how many cases are being reported and how many deaths. We would have other countries included. This would be a no discussion thread too.
I have a few more ideas but I am open to anything.
Thanks.
Tricia

Let me clear something up. We will all be together on this thread discussing just like we are now. The other categories will be added so you all can access certain pieces of info more quickly.

MOD NOTE
A few things to help keep this vital discussion open and safe:

• This forum is NOT for debate. It is for the sharing of information and feelings. If someone’s feelings are not in line with yours, DO NOT DEBATE. It is not productive and it negates the purpose of the discussion here. STOP before you reply in anger to someone who posted something you do not agree with or like. REPORT it instead and Mods will determine how to handle it or whether it can stay. DO NOT DEBATE.
  • Discussing personal FB posts of ANY kind, yours included, is a violation of TOS. Apparently Facebook has had a technical glitch and numerous posts by many folks were deleted in error. THAT IS NOT FOR DISCUSSION ON THIS BOARD, and those posts talking about it will be deleted.
  • ANY of the above CAN be discussed in Private Messages. That is where these subjects belong.
This is an extremely difficult and challenging time for all of us. It is not uncommon for fear to manifest itself in anger. We can try our best to direct our fear and anger in ways that do not hurt others, but will still allow for venting anger because that is normal and healthy. We just need to try to keep the anger off the boards so that we can all manage our fear at such a time as this.

Please continue discussion here.

Stay on topic and we'll see about getting a thread set up for some much needed levity. I have no issue with it but will run it by Tricia to make sure she agrees.

In the meantime please keep this thread for the serious discussion that most members and guests come here to read or contribute to.

Ah but it feels ever so much more natural when you use Sun-In out in the actual sun, or ...on the beach..(Be sure to stay 6 feet away from the next beachgoer)...

But the Jersey Shore has asked us not to come down right now as they are still in "winter mode" - That's a no even those who have a vacation home there.
You are right!!! It does and the vitamin D is glorious. But here with all the rain we've had, you have to use alternatives bc the sunny days are few and far between, unfortunately! Which having us on "lock down", this depressing weather is not going to help many with children that are used to going to school everyday!
I am not saying it is not needed, because it is! I just worry about all the things we will face coming out of this besides the unfortunate deaths :(. Alcoholism, abuse, DV, child neglect/abuse.... I hope and pray I worry for no reason!

@Herat what I meant is payments will continue, unlike some earned income. A laid off worker will get UI but it will be less than a regular paycheck. To my knowledge SS payments remain the same. Which is a good thing, there is no loss of income for a person drawing SS or SSI. Moo
BBM

While the amount of SS payments remain the same, I anticipate that the purchasing power, such as it is, will go down as prices go up. So in that sense, there will be a loss of income for those drawing SS. And if they have food stamps, the same would be true IMO.

I work with many physicians and nurses that are on the front lines. I've worked with these people for decades in some case, and I see how very honest and realistic they are.

I fear for the lives of these people. This is a crushing failure of people flaunting restrictions to recognize the severe risk they put essential people face multiple times a day.

Please enforce the shut-down. Please get after any politician who does not enforce a complete shut-down

Really , really good people are at huge risk
What is your definition of a complete shut-down?

I keep wondering what the "bad guys" are doing?
You know, drug dealers, pimps, gang members.
I imagine that prostitutes are having a business slow down. Therefore so are their pimps and drug dealers.
They've been too quiet, imo.

@Dontknow?

re: The Villages in central Florida is a large planned retirement community. Median age is 67.4 and median annual household income is $54,562 per Wikipedia. Rules are that someone in the household must be over 55. There is very little housing for others, families.

The Villages, Florida - Wikipedia

I think the demographic of testing concern is elderly not wealthy?

BBM

While the amount of SS payments remain the same, I anticipate that the purchasing power, such as it is, will go down as prices go up. So in that sense, there will be a loss of income for those drawing SS. And if they have food stamps, the same would be true IMO.

Better not be. I hope not. Don't touch ss. jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. I just had an idea. If our library has to stay closed for an extended period, we should temporarily place a little free library in our parking lot. We have lots of books left over from our book sale that we could put in it.
I don't know -- it seems we are learning that surface transmission is a bigger deal after all, so I'm not sure books moving between people is a good idea right now.

I put a sign in our library window (we are currently closed but working on finding partial services we can offer) with instructions for downloading Overdrive onto a device to read ebooks or listen to audiobooks.

Even with gloves and wipes, I am very wary of checking in the items in our book drop.

What is your definition of a complete shut-down?
You didn't ask me, but..
Mine is not even out riding your 4 wheeler. There was a bad wreck today required life flight and probably a ventilator.
People need to not be doing risky activities like that, next week there night not be an available vent for them!!
Moo

If central FL went for demographic population, it wouldn't be anything other than the community of the Villages.Senior, healthy living, golf cart driving happy seniors. That's fine.

With limited tests, it's not fine. jmo

You didn't ask me, but..
Mine is not even out riding your 4 wheeler. There was a bad wreck today required life flight and probably a ventilator.
People need to not be doing risky activities like that, next week there night not be an available vent for them!!
Moo
Going out and doing risky things that could cause injuries requiring assistance is not a good idea right now.

I still would like to know the definition of a complete shut-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend