Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip> In the neighborhood it serves, Elmhurst, more than two-thirds of residents were born outside of the United States, the highest such rate in the city. It is a safety-net hospital, serving mainly low-income patients, including many who lack primary care doctors.

Queens accounts for 30 percent of New York City’s confirmed coronavirus cases, more than any other borough and far more than its share of the city’s population. It also has fewer hospitals. Elmhurst is one of three major facilities serving a large population and is centrally located, which in part explains why it is busy in normal times and even busier now.

13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital

I hope some help comes quickly after this NYTimes article. Heart-breaking and frightening

I was thinking basically the same. I mean there is something going on most of January and February. The first cases were the latter part of February.
Feb. 26, 2020: 1st case of suspected local transmission in United States
Feb. 29, 2020: 1st death reported in United States

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/timeline-coronavirus-started/story?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&id=69435165&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15851668464775&amp_ct=1585166980548&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://abcnews.go.com/Health/timeline-coronavirus-started/story?id=69435165

I wish there would have been a way TO KNOW how bad this virus was going to affect the whole world so quickly, but I do not think it was a great concern since it was not in our country. I think that is why our state i
I was thinking basically the same. I mean there is something going on most of January and February. The first cases were the latter part of February.
Feb. 26, 2020: 1st case of suspected local transmission in United States
Feb. 29, 2020: 1st death reported in United States

https://abcnews-go-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/timeline-coronavirus-started/story?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&id=69435165&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15851668464775&amp_ct=1585166980548&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://abcnews.go.com/Health/timeline-coronavirus-started/story?id=69435165

I wish there would have been a way TO KNOW how bad this virus was going to affect the whole world so quickly, but I do not think it was a great concern since it was not in our country. I think that is why our state is the fastest growing positive results in the world
because we were having basically a STATE party that millions attended through the 2 months.
I do remember our Governor closing schools immediately when we only had presumptive cases with no positives.

s the fastest growing positive results in the world
because we were having basically a STATE party that millions attended through the 2 months.
I do remember our Governor closing schools immediately when we only had presumptive cases with no positives.

I wanted to add, Maybe the US could have known earlier.

Right before the pandemic began, our administration had a US epidemiologist in the China CDC to help detect disease outbreaks, but the position was eliminated.

The American disease expert, a medical epidemiologist embedded in China’s disease control agency, left her post in July, according to four sources with knowledge of the issue.

“It was heartbreaking to watch,” said Bao-Ping Zhu, a Chinese American who served in that role, which was funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, between 2007 and 2011. “If someone had been there, public health officials and governments across the world could have moved much faster.”

Zhu and the other sources said the American expert, Dr. Linda Quick, was a trainer of Chinese field epidemiologists who were deployed to the epicenter of outbreaks to help track, investigate and contain diseases.

Aaron Rupar on Twitter

Exclusive: U.S. axed CDC expert job in China months before virus outbreak

Washington State Ferries have decided to continue the Winter schedule (fewer ferries) due to low ridership.

All common-touch areas on our ferries and terminals are being routinely cleaned, and workers are reminded to practice good hygiene. These are high touch public spaces, and it’s important for the public to also do your part to protect yourselves and others by practicing good hygiene and reconsider traveling if you are sick.
WSF is extending its current winter sailing schedule through the end of next month due to declines in ridership from COVID-19. The spring sailing schedule will now tentatively begin on April 26 rather than March 29. Customers should continue following the winter schedule.

All vehicle reservations made for dates between March 29 and April 25 will automatically be cancelled. Customers still looking to travel during those dates will need to rebook new reservations based on the extended winter sailing schedule.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/Notification.aspx

All Washington State Parks are now closed:

OLYMPIA, Wash. — All of Washington's state-run parks, wildlife areas, water access areas, and DNR-managed land are closed for at least two weeks.

Camping and other overnight accommodations on state-managed recreation land is closed through April 30. That includes roofed accommodations such as cabins, yurts and vacation houses.

Park entrances and facilities are closed and on-site services are suspended. Essential staff will be present to "preserve and protect resources."
Washington state parks, DNR land close after Inslee's stay-at-home order

Some city parks have also closed. From the link:

Cities across the state have already begun setting limits to their parks. Seattle, Bellevue, Burien, Lynwood and Everett all shut down park playgrounds ahead of the governor’s speech. At parks in Seattle, Burien and Federal Way, crews used caution tape to cover swing sets and jungle gyms. In Tacoma, park bathrooms, parking lots, playgrounds and sport courts are closed.

Our town has not closed city parks and hopefully they won't unless too many people congregate. I was at our largest park this afternoon and there were some people walking their dogs and a few strolling on the beach. The park is big enough where no one has to get anywhere near other people though I did see a group of teens sitting on the grass. We also have some city trails that allow plenty of room between people.

If these places shut down it's going to be tough to get out into fresh air. Downtown is empty except for the few restaurants offering pickup service.

For the first time I'm feeling some anxiety as are some friends. At least I have my husband to keep me company - we're used to spending 24/7 together so it's a comfort. I have heard from a few friends who are dreading having their partners home all day and night. I guess it'll be a good time for pre-retirees to get used to it. :cool:

Anthony Fauci: The coronavirus pandemic ‘is not, as it were, under control’
[...]

How are you balancing trying to explain this pandemic to the public, so they really understand what’s going on, without creating hysteria?

The fact that you're asking that question — I think you realize that it's a delicate balancing act. And it's hard to do because you have to be truthful. You don't want to withhold important information. At the same time, it's frightening for people, understandably so. So here's what you do: You make sure that you always tell the absolute truth and don't hold back data. For example, the one thing that I have been saying that never came across particularly clearly in the way some people — and I'm not mentioning names — have expressed this: We are in the escalating phase of a very serious pandemic. That is a fact. We have got to realize that and to prepare and respond. It is not, as it were, under control. Because it's still going up. Are we trying to control it? Yes. Are we having an impact? We are doing some rather dramatic things. California shutting down. New York doing the same thing. And for the country in general, the physical separation. So even though the inflection is going up, there's no doubt that what we are doing is having an impact.

When you look at what happened in China and in Italy, you can't run away from the potential of what this virus can do. That's the reason why, when people ask me how long is this going to go on, we don't know. If you look at the pattern, things are not going to turn around in two weeks. I mean, it's just not going to happen. We're in a several-week, I guess, fight, if you want to call it that. At best.

[...]

What’s the best-case scenario, in your mind, for how this plays out?

The best-case scenario is that our mitigation efforts blunt that curve so that the peak you keep seeing me showing on television becomes muted to the extent possible. That would be the best-case scenario: Our mitigation is successful. But our mitigation is not going to protect us from any kind of harm or death. Bad stuff is going to happen. We got to make sure it isn't really bad.

It depends on a lot of things. Sometimes no wages are reported under that person's social Security number, I remember one time speaking with a claimant, I asked him to READ his number directly from his paystub, he was screaming at me, until...2 numbers on his checkstub were transposed. No wages came up under his SS number, because of that error.

Or some people have more jobs, and don't know who paid them, they say, "Taco Bell", but maybe the wages are reported under "May Co. LLC", or don't know the dates.

So many variables...but, please remember to be polite to that person, who is on the phone 8 to 10 hours a day.
Yes, I can see how all of those things can be roadblocks to people trying to approve an unemployed person.

I hope that people will understand when someone tells them there is a problem that needs to be sorted out that yelling or cussing at that person doesn't help. JMO

Reporting here-- an update from an older lady just trying to stay alive and also to flatten the curve.

Someone on here said maybe today would be a good day to beat the crowds. It was Day 12 for me in isolation, but I decided to go shop at Kroger's Food4Less in San Diego. I couldn't go early for the senior special time. I went around Noon. Let me tell you, Kroger's has it together! (in the South, I think they own the Publix chain?) I was impressed! :) They gave me a disinfected cart, and no wait to get inside. They had decent, sufficient stock on hand. Wow, I got everything on my list except flour. No flour at all on shelves.

Listen, I got a big package of 12 rolls 1,000 sheets each of toilet paper for $6.50! They seemed to have plenty of meats and vegetables. I needed some of the suggested OTC headache and cough meds, just in case I got the virus...yes, found the OTC meds I needed. No price gouging, prices were almost the regular price. NO long line to pay either. A lot of shoppers, me too, had on masks. I had disinfecting wipes handy. Ready now to go back into a longer self-isolation, but now I have enough supplies to go 20-30 days or longer if needed. I promise stay home, if you'll just help me stay sane. :D

Reporting here-- an update from an older lady just trying to stay alive and also to flatten the curve.

Someone on here said maybe today would be best a good day to beat the crowds. It was Day 12 for me in isolation, but I decided to go shop at Kroger's Food4Less in San Diego. I couldn't go early for the senior special time. I went around Noon. Let me tell you, Kroger's has it together! (in the South, I think they own the Publix chain?) I was impressed! :) They gave me a disinfected cart, and no wait to get inside. They had decent, sufficient stock on hand. Wow, I got everything on my list except flour.

Listen, I got a big package of 12 rolls 1,000 sheets each of toilet paper for $6.50! They seemed to have plenty of meats and vegetables. I needed some of the suggested OTC headache and cough meds, just in case I got the virus...got it. No price gouging, prices were almost the regular price. NO long line to pay either. A lot of shoppers, me too, had on masks. I had disinfecting wipes handy. Ready now to go back into a longer self-isolation, but now I have enough supplies to go 20-30 days or longer if needed. I promise stay home, if you'll just help me stay sane. :D
That is fabulous news and I really needed to hear that happiness right now!
We'll all help each other stay sane :)

NYPD Mobilizes Against Spread of Coronavirus
Officers mount a surge in inspections to limit gatherings in parks and businesses
March 25, 2020 7:14 pm ET

“NYPD Chief of Patrol Fausto Pichardo said in an interview Wednesday that officers have encountered widespread compliance with the new rules, which continue to be updated.

“It’s pretty fluid and happens very quickly,” Chief Pichardosaid of officers’ enforcement of the rules to contain the virus. “New Yorkers are adapting and being very compliant with us.”

Chief Pichardo said NYPD officers conduct daily inspections of sites located within their usual patrol areas to take advantage of officers’ knowledge of neighborhoods and previously established relationships with residents and business owners. The NYPD has about 36,000 uniformed officers, police officials said.”

More at link

im-169065

Police officers have taken enforcement action in only a handful of cases.

PHOTO: STEPHANIE KEITH FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Yes, I can see how all of those things can be roadblocks to people trying to approve an unemployed person.

I hope that people will understand when someone tells them there is a problem that needs to be sorted out that yelling or cussing at that person doesn't help. JMO
I guess it must be different around the country (NJ here), but I applied (and always have applied) and also certify (collect) my weekly benefits totally online. I have never spoken to a person except once when I made a mistake with number of days last worked...and they fixed it instantly.

Yes, it is such a shame when someone has been on hold for two hours, listening to elevator music and somehow, they just get...disconnected. Hmmm, well, I guess that they will call back. Whatever.

No, seriously, I learned so much about how to be nice to people on the phone at that job. As frustrated as "you" may be, remember, that person on the phone, can help you get your money, or send it to adjudication for four weeks. Same difference.

Starting Tuesday, Cincinnati PD won't respond in-person for these calls

Starting March 24 at 8 a.m., Cincinnati Police will not respond in-person to calls for assaults without injuries, break-ins, criminal damaging and more.

Cincinnati police announced Monday that these calls will be referred for online or phone reporting:

• Assault reports where there is no medical attention necessary and suspect is no longer present
  • Breaking and entering reports where there are no suspect(s) or possibility of property recovery
  • Criminal damaging reports
  • Dog bites
  • Lost property
  • Lost or stolen license plates
  • Menacing reports, unless a suspect is expected, threatens to return or is part of the elements of domestic violence
  • Phone harassment
  • Property damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members