Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of weeks ago people were here saying that we cannot trust that it's as bad as it looks in China, that it's a bit of hype or hoax, that what happens in Italy will reveal the truth. People who were preparing for a local epidemic were called "panicker" and "henny penny."

It happens fast. People who did not expect it cannot believe it until they are standing in it.

NY will need ventilators for the next 5 months, and they will be unable to keep up with the deaths. Just like China, Italy and Spain, bodies will be moved to crematoriums, no funerals. Don't imagine that US cities are different from Italy, Spain, France, Iran, China.
I guess you're telling me that it's your opinion only.

Fair enough. You could be right and I'm probably wrong. Best to leave it at that.

Maybe you are dense....jk! People get sick at different times-so the number needed remains relatively the same but for longer periods. (?) I'm dense too. Has to do with DENSE-ity
So everyone is on the ventilator for the same amount of time?

seems to me that the federal government should be sending the resources where they are needed. State govs shouldn't have to be monitoring other states due to absence of central planning by the feds.
Just think back through history. If you don’t know it, look it up.
But yes, the US of A does have a States power thing.
A too powerful federal government power can too easily become tyranny.

Never a good thing,

So everyone is on the ventilator for the same amount of time?

The time on a ventilator probably varies from patient to patient, but as one either dies or gets better another patient needs one, so the need for ventilators will continue in one place for however long COVID-19 is at its peak in that area. I’m guessing, but I think “three weeks” was a guess about how long an area would need a lot of ventilators, not how long each patient would need one. But I’m fading out tonight so don’t take my word/opinion/guess for it. :D

The time on a ventilator probably varies from patient to patient, but as one either dies or gets better another patient needs one, so the need for ventilators will continue in one place for however long COVID-19 is at its peak in that area. I’m guessing, but I think “three weeks” was a guess about how long an area would need a lot of ventilators, not how long each patient would need one. But I’m fading out tonight so don’t take my word/opinion/guess for it. :D
I was guessing the same thing.

So, the Storytellers Project is launching a series of national virtual storytelling nights as part of the USA TODAY Network’s response to the novel coronavirus. This live show will air on network websites and social channels, including Storytellers Project's YouTube channel and Facebook page, at 5 p.m. PDT/8 p.m. EDT on Thursday, April 2.

Organizers hand-picked the best stories from more than 1,000 to be told live. Five Americans from across the country will tell a true story that affirms our most deeply held values – hope, perseverance, compassion and love. They will tell their stories from their homes.

The first show is about love in all its forms, and will be on the Storytellers Project YouTube page.

“Feeling connected to community, and creating empathy and understanding is vital in times of uncertainty,” said Megan Finnerty, Storytellers Project founder and senior director. “And lifting up our most important, universally held values through storytelling is our full-time mission. Our whole hearts are in this project and this special live show.”
7f4c8f92-9019-43fb-8ef1-d7fbefb9bfde-CampOconnor12Jun2019-154-2.jpg

Kyle Mitchell, 34, of Phoenix is one of the tellers for the first episode of Storytellers Project Live. He is a veteran Army Ranger and routinely tells stories as part of his job as an educator and member of the Navajo tribe.
“We are all in this together and need to remember that, and if sharing a story will help in any way, then that's the least I can do,” he said.

“With a majority of our world constantly checking news outlets and social media for updates on the virus, it would be great to reconnect on a simpler humanistic level,” he said. “Storytelling is the oral tradition that got our ancestors through troublesome times and, once again, storytelling will get us through this.”
f0df18a1-70fd-4507-b76f-78e56daf8170-0212_storytellers_20.jpg

Pastor Lindsey Braun, 36, of Des Moines, Iowa, is eager to connect with people.
“It's easy to get scared and discouraged,” she said. “And when we're stressed, it's hard to imagine creative ways through this challenge. If sharing my story brings a smile or laughter to someone else, or helps them exercise their own imagination, how can I not?”

Since 2016, the Storytellers Project has curated and hosted more than 325 nights of true, first-person stories in more than 20 cities. These nights are not talks, lectures or discussions. They are stories told as front-porch visit, filled with intimacy, vulnerability and authenticity. Everyday Americans, and some celebs, tell stories in under 10 minutes with a focus on being entertaining.
Storytellers Project, amid coronavirus, to host April 2 virtual event

I guess you're telling me that it's your opinion only.

Fair enough. You could be right and I'm probably wrong. Best to leave it at that.

This is a discussion board where people discuss ideas. We don't just post links to news. We are in the beginning of a pandemic that will last until there is a viable vaccine (12-24 months). The question is whether national resources should be delegated to the first hot spots, or whether each region should hold on to their resources in preparation for being a hot spot soon.

No right or wrong, just different viewpoints. I have had a dystopian view of this virus from the beginning back in January. I was one of those people who felt ridiculous loading up on groceries well before the first case was announced. Others are quite optimistic that this is just the flu, time to party hard.

Just think back through history. If you don’t know it, look it up.
But yes, the US of A does have a States power thing.
A too powerful federal government power can too easily become tyranny.

Never a good thing,
Sure glad President Obama didn't turn Ebola over to the states for a Heinz 57 type solution.
"If there is a need to treat an Ebola patient in the U.S., the CDC and HHS have led efforts to ensure that our health system is prepared to spot, diagnose, transport, and treat the patient effectively without infecting others. Prior to October 2014, there were only three facilities that were officially able to contain and treat Ebola: Emory University Hospital, University of Nebraska Medical Center, and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Center. Now, we have a network of 51 Ebola treatment centers in 16 states and D.C., with 72 available beds.

On top of expanding the network of hospitals that can assess, respond, and treat patients, the U.S. government is enhancing our domestic preparedness in these key ways:

• Increasing the number of Ebola testing labs throughout the U.S. that can quickly and safely screen a potential Ebola specimen
  • Educating more than 150,000 health care workers on how to identify, isolate, diagnose, and care for patients under investigation for Ebola
  • Developing countermeasures — including the first Ebola vaccine to progress to Phase 2 testing — to prevent and treat Ebola
  • Converting at least 10 of the Ebola Treatment Centers into long-term Regional Ebola and Pandemic Treatment Centers for long-term readiness for years to come
  • Helping state and local public health systems accelerate and improve their operational readiness and preparedness for Ebola or other infectious diseases"
The Obama Administration's Ebola Response

I posted the day by day progress of the virus on the weekend, with a link. Twenty days is the time when most are expected to test negative, not sooner.

20% of those who are sick are hospitalized (China).

I posted the day by day progress of the virus on the weekend, with a link. Twenty days is the time when most are expected to test negative, not sooner.

20% of those who are sick are hospitalized (China).

I missed your post and link @otto. I’m not sure if you’re agreeing, disagreeing with my guesswork about your earlier ventilator comment, or just adding relevant information, so I’m not understanding your comment. But like many of us, I’m tired and not much makes sense tonight. It’s above my pay grade so it’s all good. :D

She retired young at 59 and died suddenly when she was only 62.

I wonder if she would have gone back to work in this crises if she was still alive.

Probably take too long to get re-certified to help anyone.

That’s really too bad she didn’t get to enjoy her retirement. She probably would have gone back to work now and I expect they would have been glad to have her and waived re-certification. I saw a story on Rachel Maddow tonight about student surgeons at U.S.C. Medical School stopping their training to be trained as ICU nurses IIRC. Video showed them learning how to draw blood from a “practice arm”...not exactly a skill surgeons need. So it’s all hands on deck!

She retired young at 59 and died suddenly when she was only 62.

I wonder if she would have gone back to work in this crises if she was still alive.

Probably take too long to get re-certified to help anyone.

In some areas, they are actively calling for people to come out of retirement, and probably fast-tracking training. The call to service is a strong one, especially for health care professionals, in my experience. I'm sure she would have helped in any way she could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221