Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else's community seemingly not taking this seriously at all?

Southeastern North Carolina here, we have a stay at home order going into effect tomorrow because people aren't taking this seriously enough and our numbers of infected keep rising because of it. I am pretty angry about it. I went to the grocery store and there was 8-10 people all grouped in a circle blocking the exit just chatting it up. There was even a local news article about how no one seems to be taking social distancing seriously at all and showed a picture that day of a crowd of people lounging on the beach regardless of all the beaches being closed. I almost want to rant about it. How are people being so careless about this?
I was just thinking about the Grand Strand area - wonder if the campgrounds are still going strong?

but it worked pretty well for returning AMericans from China, and other cruise boats. I think that the "no news" about all those who returned from China...was good news. Military command and control logistics training is perhaps the best thing we have going for us.

The Princess cruise passengers were dispersed amongst several military bases in at least three states. Sending them all to just one base would overwhelm resources.

JMO

According to our news reports in Ohio most are taking it seriously but I haven't left our place for 19 days so I'm not really sure.
My community didn't have our first infected case until like two weeks ago. We have had warnings about social distancing and multiple store closings. People decided not to listen. Some are careful though but every store I have gone into there are people standing too close for comfort.
I was just thinking about the Grand Strand area - wonder if the campgrounds are still going strong?
Most larger parks are closed unfortunately. Smaller or ones with just trails are still opened.

Edit: Alerts and Closures | Page 4 | NC State Parks
List of closed parks in NC

Last edited:
This is why I give the WHO ;)
If the COVID19 is not airborne as WHO claims, then what is the explanation for all of these medical professionals catching it? They have PPE, they are trained, and they are constantly exposed to sick people their whole career - yet this one new disease is so highly contagious that no amount of PPE is protective? That kind of screams airborne, doesn't it?
Covid apparently can be transmitted by respiratory droplets but these droplets don't travel very far (but even that is debatable as some think the droplets could stay in the air). Medical professionals have to get close to patients if they are doing procedures, so it's no surprise if they can get infected.
"These droplets can travel only short distances through the air and either land on people or land on surfaces that people later touch. Stopping this kind of transmission is why public health officials urge people to wash hands frequently and not touch the face, because that could bring the virus into contact with the nose or mouth."
WHO Reviews 'Current' Evidence On Coronavirus Transmission Through Air

Do you have any bleach. You can dilute it and use it to disinfect if you do.

Yes, and I have a spray bottle. We will do that. Thank you. We also have quite a bit of iodine (which we're saving to dilute for throat rinse).

Early on, I got this disinfectant that's used on phones and computer keyboards and used that at work, every day, every door knob and computer. We are on Day 17 of Stay at Home. Pretty sure the two of us are CoVid-free but we aren't completely isolated (we still see 2 other family members who, themselves, are pretty isolated - but it's not 100% tight).

Bad deal. I can’t believe people still got on a cruise ship on March 7 with everything that was going on. Stupid moo.
They are likely the same people we hear about daily. You know the people that think they are the exception to the rules, the people that would be in public if not on a cruise.
Moo

Last edited:
IOWA

FORT DODGE, Iowa -- Dr. Megan Srinivas is an infectious disease physician in Fort Dodge and is the only one in existence in a 70 mile radius. She says if Iowans don’t take social distancing seriously, rural communities are not currently equipped to handle the consequences.

As COVID-19 testing increases in Iowa, so does the number of confirmed cases. It's something health officials were expecting, but not something rural Iowa is prepared for.

“The biggest issue is that people don’t realize that it’s already here. It's not a matter of when it’s going to spread here or where it’s going to spread, it’s already in rural America,” said Dr. Srinivas.

According to Dr. Srinivas, Iowans in Fort Dodge and Webster County are calling clinics and local health departments with symptoms of COVID-19, but they can’t be tested for the virus because there are not enough testing kits available.

Most are being tested for influenza and strep and frequently coming back negative for both of those, making our suspicion for COVID-19 even higher,” said Dr. Srinivas.

Patients with mild symptoms are sent home and told to quarantine their whole household. If symptoms worsen, they are urged to call 911 to receive intensive care, especially if someone is experiencing difficulty breathing.

Currently, Gov. Kim Reynolds is not considering a "Shelter in Place," even though multiple surrounding states and cities, including Des Moines, have implemented similar measures.

“People don’t realize the severity. They’re still doing all of these things on the side that are exposing others to the virus that they might be carrying without realizing it and increasing the spread. This is the time we need to do shelter at home. A few other states have enacted it and we need to follow suit. The problem is the longer we wait, the longer we are going to have to enforce social distancing because the number of cases are just exponentially increasing,” said Dr. Srinivas.

Rural Infectious Disease Doctor Urges Iowans to Stay Home

Does anyone else's community seemingly not taking this seriously at all?

Southeastern North Carolina here, we have a stay at home order going into effect tomorrow because people aren't taking this seriously enough and our numbers of infected keep rising because of it. I am pretty angry about it. I went to the grocery store and there was 8-10 people all grouped in a circle blocking the exit just chatting it up. There was even a local news article about how no one seems to be taking social distancing seriously at all and showed a picture that day of a crowd of people lounging on the beach regardless of all the beaches being closed. I almost want to rant about it. How are people being so careless about this?

I do know the western part of NC is taking it seriously.

They even closed up Mayberry ( Mt Airy) to visitors.

Moo....

Yes, and I have a spray bottle. We will do that. Thank you. We also have quite a bit of iodine (which we're saving to dilute for throat rinse).

Early on, I got this disinfectant that's used on phones and computer keyboards and used that at work, every day, every door knob and computer. We are on Day 17 of Stay at Home. Pretty sure the two of us are CoVid-free but we aren't completely isolated (we still see 2 other family members who, themselves, are pretty isolated - but it's not 100% tight).
This link here gives you amounts of bleach to amounts of water. Also gives following warnings.

"First, wash surfaces with soap and warm, clean water to remove dirt and debris. Next, sanitize surfaces with household bleach.

It is critical to read and follow the safety instructions on any product you use. Below are the most important safety guidelines when using sanitizing products:

• Never mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaner.
  • Wear rubber or other non-porous boots, gloves, and eye protection.
  • Try not to breathe in product fumes. If using products indoors, open windows and doors to allow fresh air to enter."
Cleaning and Sanitizing with Bleach|Natural Disasters and Severe Weather

Duke is doing the same thing.
Duke Starts Novel Decontamination of N95 Masks to Help Relieve Shortages | Duke School of Medicine

The use of hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate N95 masks was tested and published by others in 2016, but did not result in widespread adaptation. The earlier studies did not include fit testing after cleaning – basically sizing the masks for individual wearers - to prove efficacy in the real world, which Duke has now done.

Glad we got really smart folks in our world.

Stanford tested 9 methods of decontaminating N95's and concluded that 30 minutes in a kitchen oven set at 158 degrees was the best of all of them. They didn't like the hydrogen peroxide method because it hanged the polarization of the masks, reducing effectiveness.

Fitting masks to the face is really important for healthcare workers, public transport workers, first responders, and store clerks in essential businesses.

My community didn't have our first infected case until like two weeks ago. We have had warnings about social distancing and multiple store closings. People decided not to listen. Some are careful though but every store I have gone into there is groups of

Most larger parks are closed unfortunately. Smaller or ones with just trails are still opened.

Edit: Alerts and Closures | Page 4 | NC State Parks
List of closed parks in NC
Private campgrounds seems to still be open and taking new customers.

This link here gives you amounts of bleach to amounts of water. Also gives following warnings.

"First, wash surfaces with soap and warm, clean water to remove dirt and debris. Next, sanitize surfaces with household bleach.

It is critical to read and follow the safety instructions on any product you use. Below are the most important safety guidelines when using sanitizing products:

• Never mix bleach with ammonia or any other cleaner.
  • Wear rubber or other non-porous boots, gloves, and eye protection.
  • Try not to breathe in product fumes. If using products indoors, open windows and doors to allow fresh air to enter."
Cleaning and Sanitizing with Bleach|Natural Disasters and Severe Weather

Thank you again. I'll try to remember the eye protection especially. I can do it in our sunroom - but not sure I have gloves. Can probably manage with thin plastic bags.

Stanford tested 9 methods of decontaminating N95's and concluded that 30 minutes in a kitchen oven set at 158 degrees was the best of all of them. They didn't like the hydrogen peroxide method because it hanged the polarization of the masks, reducing effectiveness.

Fitting masks to the face is really important for healthcare workers, public transport workers, first responders, and store clerks in essential businesses.
But then I also heard not to use your kitchen ovens to sanitize your personal masks because you will contaminate your kitchen.

It reminds me of when we have to rescue American "hikers" on the border of Iran, and various others who we have to rescue from ill-advised junkets like the American/Canadian family in Afghanistan who were in captivity for years, because they purposely went out into the countryside looking for, whatever. IMO

In Ontario, in the spring, we have idiots who don't take their ice huts off the lake when they are advised to do so, then endanger the lives of LE who have to go and rescue them.

GEORGIA

"CROWDED TRAILS: Everyone’s feeling a little stir crazy, but that means a lot of people have the same idea to go hiking. In Cloudland Canyon State Park, park rangers had to shut down some trails and tell people to disperse because people weren’t social distancing. "
@FOX5Atlanta
VIDEO AT LINK. Alexa Liacko FOX 5 on Twitter

2ND VIDEO AT LINK. Alexa Liacko FOX 5 on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads