Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had one get in our house twice. Once in an old farm house. Once in our log cabin. Took hours to get them out. I was never so scared in all my life. I don't care how many mosquitoes they eat. That's what bug zappers are for.

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but the bats win on this front.

"If mosquitoes and other insects are taking a bite out of your summer fun, don't bother with one of those electric bug zappers, says a University of Florida pest control expert."

Snap! Crackle! Pop! Electric bug zappers are useless for controlling mosquitoes, says pest expert

It looks like these people were actually gang members (they recovered several guns). So imagine this activity in Chicago, LA, and New York!

I’m beginning to think my elderly dad with health problems may be in a gang. He and his elderly pals are still tra-la-la-ing all over the place, to their poker nights, holding follies at the club with other elderly gang members, meeting for coffee at the store in the morning. Mom is meeting her golf group every week, also visiting everyone and their dog. If I see them out past curfew I may turn them in.

My niece is seven months pregnant and we haven’t been to my folk’s house in three weeks! We all live blocks from each other. We were afraid of giving it to them, now we’re afraid of them giving it to us. He and my mom won’t listen to us. Grr.

Last edited:
I love your post and I love The Sound of Music. I remember making my son watch it with me years ago when he was in elementary school. He was not happy about it at all but ended up really liking it; or so he said. My son is 20, lives at home with me and goes to college. It's just the two of us. I worry so much about his age group, 18-20 year old's. He doesn't say anything or show it, but I can see a fear in his eyes that I have never seen before. I believe this will have long-lasting negative ramifications particularly with his age group. They should be going out with friends, dating, working, studying, etc and not having to worry about stepping outside, getting too close to people or paying the mortgage if something happens to their parent(s). I started to talk to him about my 401K and paying off the mortgage but I could see he was very uncomfortable (scared) talking about it, so of course I stopped and started talking about something else. However, if this keeps getting worse, which I believe it will, I'm going to have to discuss these things with him at some point. I find myself crying a lot these days and I hate that I've become a paranoid, disinfectant spraying, hand-washing freak.

JMO
I can relate because I have a 20yo daughter who is away at college and living off campus with 3 roommates now. She was home over spring break but we all knew she needed to get back to her life there before the quarantining and isolating became stricter. The online format has increased the difficulty of her biology/med classes and she had 3 labs. The work is harder for her now.

When I talk to her, I see the calm silent fear in her. Her eyes do not waver but show concern and reflect confusion. She is a peacemaker and a gentle soul. The virus is disturbing. When I come on too strong and speak of the seriousness, she pulls away and needs to distance herself. I have decided that I need to support her more and comfort her, we can have faith and look toward a positive future for them, they need us to walk with them.

Perhaps some things can be said better in a letter, and even tucked away. I need to start journals now to my children to tell them all the stories one more time, just in case. I have always wanted to tell them the stories. The mother diaries.

JMO

I beginning to think my elderly dad with health problems may be in a gang. He and his elderly pals are still tra-la-la-ing all over the place, to their poker nights, holding follies at the club with other elderly gang members, meeting for coffee at the store in the morning. Mom is meeting her golf group every week, also visiting everyone and their dog. If I see them out past curfew I may turn them in.

My niece is seven months pregnant and we haven’t been to my folk’s house in three weeks! We all live blocks from each other. We were afraid of giving it to them, now we’re afraid of them giving it to us. He and my mom won’t listen to us. Grr.
Ha! Stubborn as hell.

Funny enough, poker is probably the worst activity he could be doing (that bridge club game in Colorado did a ton of damage).

No social distancing mandate where you are?

JMO
I agree and this was similar to one of my biggest issues I had when I saw Governors and other national administrative officials complaining about Mr and Mrs Joe Public going to a public store to buy masks that were on the shelf for the public. Of course people were going to buy them since they were on the shelf for the purpose of the public.

Instead of officials complaining, they should have taken emergency steps to intercept the supplies and supply chains and force new supplies to go to the most needed places like Hospitals and care facilities. The government has had the power to do that all along and at first all they did was complain about the shortages instead of doing something about it. They can put in place emergency steps to confiscate all the needed supplies that are needed elsewhere and force them to go to the right places. And then also do that for future supplies. They can allocate a small percentage for the public if there is any left over. By implementing special National Security rulings they have had the power all along to do similar things like this.

We are just now seeing the right steps taken to force the supplies of certain products to go to the right places. It has been long overdue.
I am on the fence about this suggestion that we should have declared the WAR ACT right from the start.

Weren't hospitals and clinics supposed to be keeping their own stockpiles on hand, in case of an emergency like this?
And weren't State Health Departments and Governors supposed to do the same, in order to help their hospitals in times like this?

I don't see why us local citizens should be prevented from protecting ourselves from harm, just because these hospital admins and County Health Departments FAILED to be responsible themselves.

I saw gloves and hospital masks for sale at Walgreens around March 1st. I bought one small box of each, because I was flying to go see my 89 yr old Mom for a week. I used them for myself at the airport, and took some for Mom, to wear at her assisted living centre when she goes to get her mail and do her laundry.

I don't see why I would have to give this up to a hospital administrator whose job it was to keep them on hand for these emergencies, as opposed to me protecting myself and my family as well

JMO

I’ve got two WHO PCs to catch up on, but wanted to make a few (scattered) notes / thinking out loud:

What is the latest data on how much surface transmission is contributing to community spread.

Separate thought:

I’m searching for specific report re: CDC & water / came across this and noticing / BBM:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

“The risk of transmission of COVID-19 from the feces of an infected person is also unknown. However, the risk is expected to be low based on data from previous outbreaks of related coronaviruses, such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). There have been no reports of fecal-oral transmission of COVID-19 to date.”

Okay wait a minute. Read that last sentence again. If that’s true, then how come we had pages of discussions about this.

Checking article date
ETA:
“Page last reviewed: March 10, 2020”

—-

Additionally on this subject, remember the workers in Wuhan wore diapers, didn’t eat/drink so they wouldn’t have to go to the bathroom bc they have to change out their suits/PPE every time and they were preserving PPE..

I thought there was something to due to fecal transmission about that - need to check that again, maybe not but I think I’m recalling a video moo.

—-

“Can the COVID-19 virus spread through sewerage systems?
CDC is reviewing all data on COVID-19 transmission as information becomes available. At this time, the risk of transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19 through sewerage systems is thought to be low. Although transmission of COVID-19 through sewage may be possible, there is no evidence to date that this has occurred. This guidance will be updated as necessary as new evidence is assessed.

SARS, a similar coronavirus, has been detected in untreated sewage for up to 2 to 14 days. In the 2003 SARS outbreak, there was documented transmission associated with sewage aerosols. Data suggest that standard municipal wastewater system chlorination practices may be sufficient to inactivate coronaviruses, as long as utilities monitor free available chlorine during treatment to ensure it has not been depleted.

Wastewater and sewage workers should use standard practices, practice basic hygiene precautions, and wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as prescribed for current work tasks.”

Hmmm— They sure disinfected the heck out of the sewers in Wuhan and I got the impression back then it was more than precautionary...need to go back to look at Wuhan/disinfecting sewer-related reports.

•we also know the Hong Kong SARS cluster happened through that “pipe problem” that infected many in that residential building, hence the “APVLD” discussions - (Aerosol Plumes of Virus- Laden Diarrhea”)

Last edited:
Anyone else not eating? I noticed it has been coming on the past week. Nothing sounds good. I would rather sleep through lunch than bother with it. I need to lose weight, so maybe this is a good thing.

Ha! Stubborn as hell.

Funny enough, poker is probably the worst activity he could be doing (that bridge club game in Colorado did a ton of damage).

No social distancing mandate where you are?
Yes, there is! Gatherings of 10 or more should be ceased. There is an order through April 12 which requires all individuals living within the County to stay at their place of residence except for essential activities. The order also places a curfew from midnight until 6 a.m. each night.

My niece and I are at our wit’s end with the lot of them! It’s been like a roll reversal for us.

Last edited:
JMO
I can relate because I have a 20yo daughter who is away at college and living off campus with 3 roommates now. She was home over spring break but we all knew she needed to get back to her life there before the quarantining and isolating became stricter. The online format has increased the difficulty of her biology/med classes and she had 3 labs. The work is harder for her now.

When I talk to her, I see the calm silent fear in her. Her eyes do not waver but show concern and reflect confusion. She is a peacemaker and a gentle soul. The virus is disturbing. When I come on too strong and speak of the seriousness, she pulls away and needs to distance herself. I have decided that I need to support her more and comfort her, we can have faith and look toward a positive future for them, they need us to walk with them.

Perhaps some things can be said better in a letter, and even tucked away. I need to start journals now to my children to tell them all the stories one more time, just in case. I have always wanted to tell them the stories. The mother diaries.

JMO
I love the idea of the diary. On the other hand, the description of your daughter’s struggle makes me so sad for her and how long this virus will affect the psyche. I also love how you rethink your words for your adult children and their needs. Your daughter is one lucky girl !!

I'm going with CDC's 'future' recommendation since no one really knows who has been infected. WHO's recommendation (wear masks if you are sick or if you're caring for someone who is sick) scares me. I'd bet that a lot of sick people don't wear masks, either knowingly or unknowingly, or they just don't own masks to wear.

(Why we need to wear masks which most of us don't have)

Coronavirus could be airborne, study suggests
Researchers, looking to better understand viral shedding and how it related to the novel virus, took air and surface samples from 11 patients’ rooms during the initial isolation of 13 people who tested positive for COVID-19. The researchers found virus genetic material on commonly used items such as toilets, but also in air samples, thus indicating that “SARS-CoV-2 is widely disseminated in the environment.” SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus that causes COVID-19.

Not only was the virus detected within COVID-19 patients’ rooms, “air samplers from hallways outside of rooms where [the] staff was moving in and out of doors were also positive,” they wrote.

Anyone else not eating? I noticed it has been coming on the past week. Nothing sounds good. I would rather sleep through lunch than bother with it. I need to lose weight, so maybe this is a good thing.

For me, it was:

Week 1: Eating huge amounts of ice cream and tator tots, drank a bunch of beer, gained weight

Week 2: Loss of appetite -lost weight

Week 3: Loss of appetite - lost weight

Week 4: Better appetite but still minimal - weight stabilized.

For the first few says of isolation I ate way too much, all of it junk food. But, for the last week I am not hungry and eating much less.
Very unusual for me!

JMO

JMO
Thank you. You explained it so eloquently. The way you described your daughter is exactly how my son is and what I’m seeing in him. I’ve raised him alone since he was 2 and we’ve been through quite a bit. His Dad loves him but doesn’t accept who he is so therefore there is no relationship there. We have no family anywhere near us so I’m all he has. Anyway, thank you again for your post. I don’t post much because I’ve always been a math/numbers person and horrible at writing.

Before I forget, I keeep forgetting...I also really want to know about the virus at freezing temperatures. Making note. If anyone has references on that, please post, tia.

For the first few says of isolation I ate way too much, all of it junk food. But, for the last week I am not hungry and eating much less.
Very unusual for me!

Same!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads