California - Coronavirus COVID-19

As of tonight, March 30, California has experienced a notable increase in cases.

Coronavirus Dashboard

Deaths went up by more than 10% over yesterday. This is predicted by the model in post #1, so you can refer to that for an idea of what's to come.

Tenants get help as L.A. freezes rent hikes for thousands of apartments over coronavirus

“Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Monday that landlords would not be allowed to increase the rent for hundreds of thousands of apartments in the city, in his latest effort to ease the financial hardship on Angelenos from the coronavirus outbreak.

“Rent will stay the same,” the mayor said during a briefing on Monday afternoon. “This is a common sense action on top of the eviction moratorium that will help folks stay in their homes and make ends meet.””

—-

#BREAKING: Mayor Eric Garcetti announces temporary suspension of all farmers markets in the city of Los Angeles to fight spread of coronavirus; tells markets to submit plans that would allow them to safely re-open http://www.cbsla.com/live

—-

Video / CBS Los Angeles:
Coronavirus: Photos Of Packed Brentwood Farmers Market Sparks Outrage

Last edited:
We are now up to 21 positives in Humboldt county, Ca. The latest is community spread. Now I'm kind of scared. We have enough food for awhile but sadly I'm a smoker. I'm running out and I'm afraid to go out to get more. Any tips for cold turkey quitting smoking overnight?? :)

We are now up to 21 positives in Humboldt county, Ca. The latest is community spread. Now I'm kind of scared. We have enough food for awhile but sadly I'm a smoker. I'm running out and I'm afraid to go out to get more. Any tips for cold turkey quitting smoking overnight?? :)
What is your county population?? I have been hearing you talk about Humboldt County...and just realized you are not far from my sister-in-law in Sonoma County.....Her health is compromised, she lives by herself, and really does not know how to stay connected via internet etc. If you don't mind....can you give a general update of those northern counties north of San Francisco.... thanks very much..i appreciate it.

I quit cold turkey 29 years ago. It is super hard, especially during stressed times, but it can be done and you can do it!

My thought is, figure out (if you don't already know), what kind of psychological motivation works for you. Some people are naturally self-motivated. Some of us need external support -- a friend who cheers you on as you pass each day (or hour) without smoking? Setting up a reward for yourself as you reach milestones? (admittedly hard to do in these times, but -- a special food treat? A bubble bath? A session of silly-but-comforting tv or netflix?)

And if you fail, don't be discouraged, just start again. Most people need more than one try.

For me what motivated me was the reward of being able to say "it's been x days", so once I had a few days under my belt, it became somewhat self-motivating, to not "break the chain".

You could also set your last half-pack or whatever in a semi-hidden place and tell yourself you're saving it for "an emergency" (which will hopefully never come, of course).

Depending on your mindset, other ideas might help -- watching movies about people who overcome great hurdles. Watching documentaries about what smoking does to your lungs. (and seeing how much they will recover in as little as three weeks after you quit!)

And one of my favorite motivation techniques -- imagining yourself in the future describing how you quit, how hard it was, but how you persisted and succeeded!

Best of luck! This is hard but you can do it!

I quit cold turkey 29 years ago. It is super hard, especially during stressed times, but it can be done and you can do it!

My thought is, figure out (if you don't already know), what kind of psychological motivation works for you. Some people are naturally self-motivated. Some of us need external support -- a friend who cheers you on as you pass each day (or hour) without smoking? Setting up a reward for yourself as you reach milestones? (admittedly hard to do in these times, but -- a special food treat? A bubble bath? A session of silly-but-comforting tv or netflix?)

And if you fail, don't be discouraged, just start again. Most people need more than one try.

For me what motivated me was the reward of being able to say "it's been x days", so once I had a few days under my belt, it became somewhat self-motivating, to not "break the chain".

You could also set your last half-pack or whatever in a semi-hidden place and tell yourself you're saving it for "an emergency" (which will hopefully never come, of course).

Depending on your mindset, other ideas might help -- watching movies about people who overcome great hurdles. Watching documentaries about what smoking does to your lungs. (and seeing how much they will recover in as little as three weeks after you quit!)

And one of my favorite motivation techniques -- imagining yourself in the future describing how you quit, how hard it was, but how you persisted and succeeded!

Best of luck! This is hard but you can do it!
Thank you so much! :)

Gov Newsom's update here:

California has ample budget to purchase supplies; is cooperating with other states so as not to undercut their supplies (Gavin said "We won't be greedy")

In fact, he said that by cooperating with Oregon and Washington (I think those were the states), those states will get the advantage of our giant purchasing power. Our state has set aside $100,000,000 for reusable supplies. Our goal is 10,000 ventilators in the next two weeks.

Also, 25,000 medical personnel have signed up in a state database to work/be sent to places where they are needed. Many are retired, some are under employed, some are in non-essential jobs.

I'm here to watch not just Santa Clara County (mom lives there in a memory-care place) but also rural California.

We're down to only nine counties left (out of 58 total) with zero confirmed cases, having added two uber-rural counties, Alpine and Tuolomne, to the infected list just today (including weekend results).

I'm in one of those nine holding their fragile zeros, and the suspense of watching it creep closer and closer is torturous.

I know people are trying to stay close to home but all our major services, including medical, are hours away in cities, so people are still moving around a bit for things that feel urgent. It may be urgent but it still puts us all at risk...

Humboldt county now has 27 positives, up 6 from yesterday. They are saying that 3 of the last 6 are community spread. I think it could be more. I wish they would let us know which area or towns the positives are.

Santa Rosa police officer dies from complications from the coronavirus

A veteran Santa Rosa police officer died Tuesday of complications caused by the coronavirus, marking the first death from the fast-moving disease in a Sonoma County law enforcement agency.

Detective Marylou Armer was 43 and lived in American Canyon, in Napa County. She had served in the Santa Rosa Police Department for more than 20 years. She was one of the first employees to test positive for COVID-19.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Calif. classrooms officially closed for rest of school year

"Updated: Apr 1, 2020 / 01:38 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Gov. Gavin Newsom and state education leaders made official Wednesday what many parents and students had already assumed: Schools will not resume in-person instruction in California this academic year. ..."

So that's statewide and mandatory. The Gov encouraged study at home and mentioned available programs.

Los Angeles mayor recommends people cover their faces in public

[...]

"Early data suggests that many who are infected with Covid-19 do not have symptoms, which is why everyone should wear cloth face coverings when leaving the house for essential activities. However, a face covering is not a substitute for other critical measures -- most importantly, staying home as much as possible, washing hands frequently, and practicing safe physical distancing in all settings."

The city's guidance can be found here

US public health officials at first advised against wearing masks, but may be shifting course. On Monday, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield, told NPR that his organization was reviewing its guidelines and may recommend general mask use to guard against community infection. President Trump said the government plans to release new recommendations on face masks in the coming days.

[...]

She [Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove] said the organization currently recommends that people who are ill or caring for the sick wear normal medical masks, while the more efficient N95s should be saved for frontline health-care workers. The WHO is studying other options, like whether the general public should use scarves to cover themselves.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

(Will also post to California thread)

2nd Riverside County sheriff’s deputy dies of COVID-19

"... Deputy David Werksman, a 22-year veteran of the department, is the second deputy at the agency to die of the respiratory illness after 54-year-old Deputy Terrell Young died Thursday, the Riverside Sheriffs’ Association announced. ...and was most recently assigned to Sheriff’s Administration.

He is survived by his wife and three children ..."

Deputy David Werksman

thumbnail_image004.jpg

From prior story, photo now available of Deputy Terrell Young. He most recently worked at a detention center. He is survived by his wife and 4 children:

EUnvs1eU8AAJpCO-1.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back