Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newborn twins named Corona and Covid - CityNews Toronto
''A couple in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh have named their newborn twins Corona and Covid.

The twins — a boy and a girl — were born during the ongoing 21-day long nationwide lockdown that began on March 24.

“The delivery happened after facing several difficulties and therefore, my husband and I wanted to make the day memorable,” Preeti Verma, the 27-old mother of the twins, told news agency Press Trust of India.

The couple said the names would remind them about the hardships they faced during the lockdown and ahead of the successful delivery in a government hospital last week.''

Pure idiocy. I can't even.

And yes, I do know that naming customs are different in India - but still, all of India's teachers will know what these names mean. Roll call for the rest of these babies' lives will be embarrassing and also possibly traumatic for others in the room. Coronavirus is a time of great stress and pain.

School is supposed to be calm and pain free. Disruption-free.

This just sounds like attention-hoarding.

I've asked but no answer. Which is why I scoped my neighbors out and left notes for them.

I also have huge concerns about people dying in their homes during this. It hasn't been that long ago I found my next door neighbor dead at her kitchen table. I found her at 830 pm ish. Her breakfast was on the table. (Not covid)

Jmo

That’s tragic about your neighbor and awful for you! It’s a big concern for those who live alone with no one to look in on them. You are very kind to leave notes for your neighbors.

My community in Oregon has a neighbor-helping-neighbor program that healthy low-risk residents can sign up for and indicate what they are able to do. We have a large senior population here, so I’m sure it will be a big help to many who live alone without anyone to help.

You are more than welcome Governor Cuomo. We in Oregon are predicted to reach our peak about May 3. We hope our peak delays long enough for N.Y. to get as much use out of these ventilators as possible.
It was so good to see camaraderie and unity.

Also from the MA governor giving those N95 masks to NY that Kraft picked up.

Years ago, I was told if blankets from a smallpox patient were put in a chest and left for 100 years then opened, you could still contract smallpox from those blankets. If they get a vaccine for CV19, I wonder if they will just add it to the annual flu vaccine?

I doubt that they'll stick in the flu shot. There will be people who can't handle flu shots but still need the CV vaccine (and hopefully, the CV vaccine will only be every 3-5 years).

Yes, small pox (along with some other viruses, some of them not well studied) can survive a long time. They reactivate when they get a little humidity sometimes. Small pox coming back due to climate change is a very real possibility. No one knows if those of us who got the shots as kids are still immune, but people 40 and under have never been vaccinated.

I bet there's not enough small pox vaccine in the US to even begin to address an outbreak. It's terrifying. I don't think you can get a vaccine at all, at this point.

Lots to think about. Would be great if our departments of health (especially federal level) would be run by scientists and doctors, with administrators off to the side managing budgets (instead of making decisions for which they are not qualified). Same is true for most of the world.

France strongly prefers experts as top decision makers in its various branches of government. Their system is rather expensive, though. Not to the general public at point of care, but through taxes.

Thank you so much for posting this article. Although it is not for a lay person, if you read it carefully you can get a sense of how the virus works in your body. I am particularly interested in the impact of taking ACE Inhibitors on the developments of the viral infection. From this article, it says that "part of the spike can extend and attach to a protein called ACE2 which appears in particular cells in the human airway" and then the virus can then invade the cell.

I asked my doctor by telephone to provide me with a prescription for another blood pressure lowering medication in case I want to go off ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril, and he provided me with another presecription of another medication outside of this class of medicines if I want to change. I did get the new prescription but haven't decided yet if I will go off lipitor and start taking the new medication. Understanding how the virus works and the impact of taking an ACE inhibitor will be part of my decision-making process.

This article is helpful as part of that process.

MOO.

Fantastic idea.

Our county health department has finalized negotiations with our university to use the empty dorms for health care professionals, public safety officers and other first responders who need to stay-in-place or quarantine, or if they can't stay at their homes due to a family member who is elderly or undergoing cancer treatment, or other risk factor. Not sure how many residence halls and rooms will be used for this purpose, it just was announced today that the negotiations have been completed and the plan will go forward.

I doubt that they'll stick in the flu shot. There will be people who can't handle flu shots but still need the CV vaccine (and hopefully, the CV vaccine will only be every 3-5 years).

Yes, small pox (along with some other viruses, some of them not well studied) can survive a long time. They reactivate when they get a little humidity sometimes. Small pox coming back due to climate change is a very real possibility. No one knows if those of us who got the shots as kids are still immune, but people 40 and under have never been vaccinated.

I bet there's not enough small pox vaccine in the US to even begin to address an outbreak. It's terrifying. I don't think you can get a vaccine at all, at this point.

Lots to think about. Would be great if our departments of health (especially federal level) would be run by scientists and doctors, with administrators off to the side managing budgets (instead of making decisions for which they are not qualified). Same is true for most of the world.

France strongly prefers experts as top decision makers in its various branches of government. Their system is rather expensive, though. Not to the general public at point of care, but through taxes.
IIRC the small pox vaccine was developed from cow pox. Years ago they discovered that milk maids never caught small pox and that was how they discovered the vaccine. It's strange how an animal virus innoculated us against a human one.

Smallpox vaccines

Last edited:
Spread the kindness project.

A girl that's chronically ill posted for help. All out of disinfectant. I knew I had a brand new can of microban. So while dashing out the door, I opened a little used cabinet. Lo and behold! A huge canister of Lysol wipes lol. Porch delivery to her house. How blessed we are to help in some small way. :)

# let's be kind

Ok this is another part of the report that seems significant. Most transmissions were familial.

1.The COVID-19 virus is unique among human coronaviruses in its combination of high transmissibility, substantial fatal outcomes in some high-risk groups, and ability to cause huge societal and economic disruption. For planning purposes, it must be assumed that the global population is susceptible to this virus. As the animal origin of the COVID-19 virus is unknown at present, the risk of reintroduction into previously infected areas must be constantly considered. The novel nature, and our continuously evolving understanding, of this coronavirus demands a tremendous agility in our capacity to rapidly adapt and change our readiness and response planning as has been done continually in China. This is an extraordinary feat for a country of 1.4 billion people.
2. China’s uncompromising and rigorous use of non-pharmaceutical measures to contain transmission of the COVID-19 virus in multiple settings provides vital lessons for the global response. This rather unique and unprecedented public health response in China reversed the escalating cases in both Hubei, where there has been widespread community transmission, and in the importation provinces, where family clusters appear to have driven the outbreak. Although the timing of the outbreak in China has been relatively similar across the country, transmission chains were established in a wide diversity of settings, from mega- cities in the north and south of the country, to remote communities. However, the rapid adaptation and tailoring of China’s strategy demonstrated that containment can be adapted and successfully operationalized in a wide range of settings. China’s experience strongly supports the efficacy and effectiveness of anchoring COVID- 19 readiness and rapid response plans in a thorough assessment of local risks and of utilizing a differentiated risk-based containment strategy to manage the outbreak in areas with no cases vs. sporadic cases vs. clusters of cases vs. community-level transmission. Such a strategy is essential for ensuring a sustainable approach while minimizing the socio-economic impact. 3. Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China. These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans. Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures.

I don't know when that was written, but it's definitive that CoVid-19's DNA structure is identical to a virus found in the bat population with a substitution (insertion) of a strip from pangolins (an animal that Chinese bats encounter frequently). Just like with humans, DNA is definitive for identifying the species and type.

Went to the grocery store last. Not very busy at all. Everything went well until checkout. An elderly man (okay, older than me) was ahead of me and we were the required 6 feet apart from everyone. A store employee blitzed between us saying "Excuse me". I was taken aback and didn't think fast enough to say anything. A minute later some 30ish female customer came strutting along and breezed right through the space between the elderly man and myself. As she was about 12 feet past, I very loudly said "Do you not know what the hell 6 feet is?" She didn't turn around but I saw her head flip to the side as if she may have heard something that related to her.

Just sheesh !!

They used to sell pea-shooters right at the check-out counter, when I was kid.

They had to ban them because too many kids couldn't get the "exhale only" part of using them.

My dad could make a mean projectile out of a rubber band and almost anything.

MOO. Not advocating violence, just a polite twang on the butt.

Ohhhh I’m sorry!!

Honey, it’s related to an object, not...

Gah. I’m sorry.

Maybe if I pull the article it’ll make you feel better to read it in context.

Yeah that freaked me out too which is why I’m dipping stuff in bleach if possible (not frozen vegetable bags as we know)..., changing out containers...

Ugh I feel bad—Maybe it is important in the long run though so people realize how important it is to properly and thoroughly wipe stuff down.

I’m still working on that ritual and process...”delivery items”.. I have to do it in steps bc I get so grossed out and anxious

Lol, remembering @Herat ’s post about handling packages ROTF

No worries whatsoever! Glitter is my Achille's heel :) Thank you for the reminder to wipe down everything.

Looks like the people wearing face masks where I live are few, and elderly.

Only had to go to Publix today - still out of TP and paper towels (who is hoarding the stuff?!) rather early (about 9:30 am) and there were not that many people shopping there.

Been taking advantage of the nice weather and washed some floors today. And watched a COVID-19 appropriate movie, "Carnival of Souls" (1962). Amazing how a low-budget, bloodless, highly atmospheric horror movie can still be so effective today. For those of you who like zombie movies, I highly recommend seeing this during the shut-in.

Coronavirus: Parks busy despite lockdown as many head out to enjoy the sun

Coronavirus: Parks busy despite lockdown as many head out to enjoy the sun
The government had been nervous that people would not be able to resist warmer weather and head outside despite the lockdown.

Plenty of people were out enjoying the sunshine on Saturday despite government pleas to stay home.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Health Secretary Matt Hancock were among those who urged the public not to go outdoors this weekend after warmer weather was forecast, with 18C (64.4F) possible on Sunday.

But pictures from parks and beaches across the UK seemed to suggest some just could not resist the temptation to leave their homes on Saturday, with blue skies above much of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname