Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HealthyAtHome campaign begins
2 April 2020

“WHO is providing advice to help you and your family be healthy at home, with tips on staying physically active, looking after our mental health, quitting tobacco and healthy parenting.

We are also encouraging people to share how they are staying #HealthyAtHome as part of our new challenge.”

—-

I recall they also had a short film contest going

—-

Also from the above link:

'Read the World' launches on International Children’s Book Day
2 April 2020

“WHO joined with UNICEF and the International Publishers Association to launch a reading initiative to support children and young people in isolation.

The collaboration began with a reading by Italian author Elisabetta Dami, creator of the popular character Geronimo Stilton.”

World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) on Twitter

—-

WHO African Region (@WHOAFRO) on Twitter

we are in the slow march to winter today here in Australia, this morning is freezing here in victoria we've had quite a few below 10c days and things will continue to get worse as we head into our flu season, day light savings ended last night as well so we went back an hour, now i need to remember all the times in the usa again ugh

but i feel lucky our cases have been controlled with good social distancing measures

i can't help but feel for my friends in the USA and i worry about them with cases sky rocketing and today registering 1300 deaths, that is very scary

I have been most interested whether Covid is a parasite or not. I’ve read no less than 500 articles on potential links between the two. Moo

Virus

Is a parasite a virus or bacteria?
Parasites are part of a large group of organisms called eukaryotes. Parasites are different from bacteria or viruses because their cells share many features with human cells including a defined nucleus. Parasites are usually larger than bacteria, although some environmentally resistant forms are nearly as small.

All viruses are obligate parasites; that is, they lack metabolic machinery of their own to generate energy or to synthesize proteins, so they depend on host cells to carry out these vital functions.

Obligate parasite | Britannica - Encyclopedia Britannica

Ughh, @Reasonable & Just , you mentioned my “glitter” reference as being icky...the above is one of many articles I myself could have gone without reading...yuk

(Not shooting the messenger of course @Trudie )

Last edited:
Ohio Governor is revising regulations so that people can get tele-health counseling without first having an in-person appointment with providers; also identifying wi-fi hot spots for people who don't have internet at home.
He is really trying to address issues that are important to people in his state, he has a great team of advisors working with him. MOO

Ohioans Encouraged to Wear Cloth Masks in Public; Governor Signs TeleHealth Executive Order; New Wi-Fi Hotspot Locator
April 04, 2020
Banner_No+Text.jpg

(COLUMBUS, Ohio)— Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, Lt. Governor Jon Husted, and Dr. Amy Acton, MD, MPH, today urged Ohioans to begin wearing cloth masks while in public, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Yesterday, the CDC issued the recommendation that citizens wear face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

"In many cultures around the world, wearing a mask is just part of the culture - it is a socially accepted act of kindness," said Governor DeWine. "Wearing a mask should not scare people. It is a good thing. It is a considerate thing. It is a courageous thing."

Wearing a mask will not prevent someone from contracting COVID-19, but it can help prevent them from spreading it to others -- especially if they have it, but are not yet showing symptoms.

Wearing a cloth mask in public is not mandatory, but it is strongly recommended. Cloth masks are not a substitute for social distancing, but rather, it is a complement to social distancing.

Guidance on how to make a homemade mask can be found on coronavirus.ohio.gov.

Medical supply masks, such as N95 respirators, must be reserved for healthcare workers, first responders, and those who are known to be sick. Anyone with personal protective equipment to donate to frontline workers. To donate, visit coronavirus.ohio.gov.

TELEHEALTH EXECUTIVE ORDER:

Governor DeWine today signed an executive order that will allow Ohioans to more easily access telehealth services from individual counselors, social workers, and marriage and family counselors.

In normal circumstances, a patient must have had a face-to-face first meeting and counselors and social workers before qualifying for a telehealth appointment; the providers would also be required to take special training in providing telehealth services. This order will enable those requirements to be removed so that patients can more easily access these needed services.

"Mental health is just as important as physical health, and in this time of social distancing and stay at home orders, we are trying to ensure that those who need services can access them without leaving their homes," said Governor DeWine.

HOTSPOT LOCATOR:

Lt. Governor Husted announced today that BroadbandOhio has been working with providers to find public wi-fi hotspot locations for Ohioans who may not otherwise have access to the internet from home.

A list of hotspot finders and locations by provider is available at Coronavirus.Ohio.Gov/BusinessHelp. You can find it by accessing the “Individuals and Families” tab. Those without internet access are urged to visit a known hotspot to access the complete list.

"Some of these hotspots offer parking lot availability so you can go there, download work emails, or school lesson plans, and then have it on your device when you return home," said Lt. Governor Husted.

Service providers offering public wi-fi hotspots that are not listed on the website are encouraged to get on the list by emailing Together@Governor.Ohio.gov with contact information.

CURRENT OHIO DATA:

There are 3,739 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ohio and 102 deaths. A total of 1,006 people have been hospitalized, including 326 admissions to intensive care units. In-depth data can be accessed by visiting coronavirus.ohio.gov.

Video of today's full update, including versions with foreign language closed captioning, can be viewed on the Ohio Channel's YouTube page.

For more information on Ohio's response to COVID-19, visit coronavirus.ohio.gov or call 1-833-4-ASK-ODH.

Traffic seems lighter in the thread lately...

For me, I think it's exhaustion & acceptance...I can't feel as peppery any more as I used to. It breaks my heart with every story of death that I read. We've surpassed the 9/11 deaths in NY, let alone the country. The thought of milk being poured on the ground to maintain prices is killing me, as I think of so many families facing another week of no paychecks. Comparatively, I feel like a rich "witch" for the first time in my life, and I just want to help those that are not as lucky as I am. Yet the very nature of this disease makes it impossible to reach out and help (other than internet donations & mask-making) - not just for my own sake, but for theirs, and their loved ones, and their healthcare workers!

ETA -I think my exhaustion started with seeing and hearing from anguished healthcare workers, and hearing their anguish minimized and dismissed by those who should know better.

This thing is insidious. It drives apart families and communities. It makes us mistrust each other in ways I had hoped weren't possible in the 21st century.

I just wish everyone well. I just wish for kindness, cooperation, and sanity. Gonna go cook with hubby now. Can't imagine what my life would have been like right now with abusive spouse, or as a stressed single mom. Love to all.

Last edited:
How funny. @MJPeony quoted that REM song early on when her county was one of the first to be hit.

I’m still stuck on @AgeofAquaruis

Oh! We didn’t Friday happy hour yesterday! That’s been a tradition!

Alright, how about Get Down Saturday night then!

Shake it @Bravo!
LOL dancing as fast as I can. It aint purdy :D

Loped my horse around my country block, for a little social distancing in the saddle. Ain’t no isolation going on in my neck of the woods. A few driveways filled with cars people cooking out (ahh the smell....), kids playing. Hopefully they are all huddling together as a family unit.

Is this fear mongering? Just wondering what others think. Is it BS because it was reported by CNN? As coronavirus cases grow, hospitals adopt a system to rank patients for treatment - CNN
I'm calling it BS. I think you're right in the source contributing to fear mongering. Of course this is their opinion of what MAY happen, probably only in places overwhelmed with cases. Obviously different parts of countries and the US have not been hit as hard as NY. I'm an optimist, rather than a pessimist and I can't subscribe to the may be or could be. <modsnip>

MOO only MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this fear mongering? Just wondering what others think. Is it BS because it was reported by CNN? As coronavirus cases grow, hospitals adopt a system to rank patients for treatment - CNN

Are you referring to what someone else has said about this topic? I don’t automatically dismiss reporting by CNN as “fake news” the way some do. Why would I think the people interviewed about a system for ranking patients for treatment are fear mongering? This is a potential reality that every hospital has to prepare for ahead of time, not in the moment. I prefer to be informed. But that’s just me and MOO.

71 infected with coronavirus at Sacramento church. Congregation tells county ‘leave us alone’ (Sacramento Bee)

One church in Sacramento County is now the epicenter of a major outbreak of coronavirus, and frustrated county officials say church leaders are refusing to listen to their demands to stop fellowship meetings.

Seventy-one members of the Bethany Slavic Missionary Church near Cordova or people associated with congregation members have been afflicted with the virus, county officials say, making this one of the larger outbreak clusters in the country. One parishioner has died, officials said, and the pastor is sick. (more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname