Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just connected with a person that claims to have the rest of the Journal scans. This might be a lead, not sure but I hope so.
He's claiming it's a design for a MMORPG game based on "Screeps 2"

Normally I'd advise you to take this with a grain of salt (there's a reason we can't link this website here), but his account looks trustworthy and my cursory research would seem to confirm this game uses the same language we know MH used. I think it's worth digging into the game, who would know about it, who would know about the code behind it, who would know it off the top of their head, who created the game....This feels like progress :)

Attachments

• E0188945-A436-4AB1-B0F8-7688BD932B20.png
    E0188945-A436-4AB1-B0F8-7688BD932B20.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 43C30CC2-5113-4012-A6D5-5F01C7CFF111.jpeg
    43C30CC2-5113-4012-A6D5-5F01C7CFF111.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 77
Transcribed notebook
Imgur

If someone on here originally posted these, I don't mean to step on any toes!

Definitely an outline for a game along with nutritional information.
I don't have any input to put about the game.
I do think the nutritional facts makes it a possibility our Mostly Harmless had either been diagnosed with Diabetes or a GI issue.
When I was sent to the nutritionist for my GI issues, I was advised to pretty much do the same thing, journal the foods I ate daily and stick to a certain dietary intake.

Transcribed notebook
Imgur

If someone on here originally posted these, I don't mean to step on any toes!
He's claiming it's a design for a MMORPG game based on "Screeps 2"

Normally I'd advise you to take this with a grain of salt (there's a reason we can't link this website here), but his account looks trustworthy and my cursory research would seem to confirm this game uses the same language we know MH used. I think it's worth digging into the game, who would know about it, who would know about the code behind it, who would know it off the top of their head, who created the game....This feels like progress :)

yes thats the guy! Had you ben talking to him too?!

yes thats the guy! Had you ben talking to him too?!
No, I saw your post earlier today and went through the guy's history to see if he was being truthful. That comment caught my eye because I've never heard of the game and the guy seemed so sure about it! I found the sub for the game, someone posted this case there a few weeks ago and that's where I found the imgur uploads. Looks like CCSO reached out to the game's community about trying to identify him already

Paul Paur.

I don’t see much of a likeness but throwing him up here. I don’t see anything in NamUs but he seems to be fairly well known. I have never run across him before.

Paul Paur – Appalachian Trail: Trials and Tragedy

Paul Paur: Odd Man Out on the Appalachian Trail - AppalachianTrail.com

The comments after the second article state that Paur returned home in 2015 but his attendance is rather spotty. So I don't know if Denim is him. He would have been in his early to mid 50s in 2018 so he seems a little old to me.

Yes, it is interesting. I don't know whether it's just an oversight or it really wasn't with his belongings.

If we go with the premise that Denim was ill and running a temperature it's possible he took it off somewhere other than the campsite. I can shoot holes through my own theory though, because it looks like Denim was quite organized when he entered his tent and not suffering from delirium from a high temperature since his hiking poles were placed side by side, not haphazardly as were his boots. My opinion is based on the premise that the images of his possessions were taken by LE as they were found and not placed there.

I'm also concerned about his watch, it shows in many pics but is not inventoried. I would think that's a fairly important part of his belongings. I've blown up a picture to try and show the detail of the watch. It's still pretty blurry but it looks like it has enough buttons on it that it could be more than a watch; maybe take heart rate, distance traveled, etc.

Here's some images of a couple more things he had on him when he was hiking. One is a fanny pack worn left front on his belt and the other is on his left front but appears to be attached to the strap for his backpack. I have no idea what it is, maybe a holder for a water bottle or something?

One more thing, in my quest to identify the watch using these parameters: black watch with blue accent casing and silicone band I got some images of GPS watches as well which are pretty expensive.

In the second image next to the green, there is an object that looks like the edge of an iPhone to me. Is it possible he had a phone for awhile and didn't tell anyone that? Ditched it later when he felt more confident that he didn't need GPS and truly wanted to go off-grid? If that is from an earlier photo, it's quite possible.

One more thing, in my quest to identify the watch using these parameters: black watch with blue accent casing and silicone band I got some images of GPS watches as well which are pretty expensive.

SBM

I think one of these models is the one MH is wearing:

https://www.amazon.com/Souarts-Multifunctional-Numerical-Digital-Display/dp/B01FDG5I0C

https://shopee.com.my/Coolboss-Spor...ber-LED-Casual-Watches-i.155084998.2409488904

If this is MH's watch, the only physical store selling it is Walmart Canada.

Casual Children Watch Waterproor Electronics Wristwatch Digital Sport Clock Children'S Electronic Watch Black | Walmart Canada

JMO

*ETA original photo
**ETA uploads are not available
*** ETA Walmart link

Last edited:
I do think the nutritional facts makes it a possibility our Mostly Harmless had either been diagnosed with Diabetes or a GI issue.
When I was sent to the nutritionist for my GI issues, I was advised to pretty much do the same thing, journal the foods I ate daily and stick to a certain dietary intake.
He noted it as "Balanced Nutrition Foods" in the notebook. He also mentions they're allergen free...I'm not sure allergens matter in the virtual world.
I would bet that MH's identity will more likely be solved based on the notebooks/Screeps which is all very exciting and promising - and completely over my head. But the nutritional aspect got me to thinking about why he died. It's a little convoluted but - we know he was overweight at some point. Maybe he was diagnosed with Diabetes and thought it was Type 2 (can be addressed by diet/losing weight/exercise) so he was keeping track of what he was eating. Losing weight. BUT it was really Type 1 or the early onset of Type 1, which is fully insulin dependent and, eventually, fatal without insulin. Losing weight is one symptom of Type 1 diabetes and mental confusion is a common symptom of low insulin. Both of these symptoms may have been present when he died (he was very low weight and had the ability to eat/drink, but didn't, maybe because of some mental confusion). What I don't know is if this would show up in the autopsy. But my vast knowledge (from google) makes me think that this fits. For starters:

"People with type 1 diabetes are more likely to get heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, high blood pressure, blindness, nerve damage and gum disease. ... Untreated type 1 diabetes can cause coma. It can even kill you."

What You Should Know About Type 1 Diabetes

Also: Type 1 Diabetes Complications
"Diabetes develops gradually and so people may not realize that they have it—until it becomes very serious very quickly and they have diabetic ketoacidosis. . . .
Here’s how diabetes ketoacidosis develops: When the body runs out of insulin—and that will happen as the effects of diabetes take their toll—you can’t use glucose properly or effectively. Without glucose to fuel your body, it starts to use fat to get its energy.
The signs and symptoms of DKA are:
  • Frequent urination
  • Extreme thirstiness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weight loss
  • Fruity smell on breath (that’s the smell of ketones being released from your body)
  • Cold skin
  • Confusion
  • Weakness

ETA - I'm also open to these being part of the "energy" of the game. And I would love a medical professional to weigh in if the diabetes theory works.

Last edited:
If you go back to thread #1 and search "energy", you will find that he was apparently working on 2 projects - 1.) a game, and 2.) recipes for nutritional energy bars for hikers. I do not recall any info being discussed that the projects were related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500