Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO all cats should be kept indoors: none other than Jackson Galaxy promotes that concept: Cats kill billions (with a b) birds: they get sick and hit by cars: why would anybody think letting a cat live outdoors or be out doors for protracted periods of time be a good thing? i don't get it.

I wish I could *like* this more than once. I don’t get it, either. But I am in the minority in the UK, where rescue centres routinely won’t let you adopt unless the cat can go out. I luckily found a rescue that understands a loving indoor home is better than a) a small cage in a clinic or b) bring allowed to roam and run the risk of being killed.

Yeah, the nursing homes, anything that houses and cares for old people are being hit hard.

One part of me says someone/something wants to get rid of useless eaters and the other part of me says the health of the elderly isn't good, they die easily. Thing is , WHY are the nursing homes being hit this hard? Who works in them? Are they spreading the virus? Why? Have they not been tested? If not, why not, since they are in charge of such a volnerable population? What is WRONG with this scenerio?

@Trident

I can tell you only what is happening in my country, but I guess it is similar everywhere: nursing homes are full, some of the staff is working in shifts in few nursing homes (doctors, social workers etc.), they have their own families where someone can get infected, the period of incubation is long, the older people have various commorbidities and weaker immune system...

Every single case in my country have been traced to a person from the "outside"- a worker in the nursing home who got infected outside of the facility and spread it inside without knowing.

Coronavirus: Dominic Raab says UK 'must keep going' with lockdown measures

Dominic Raab has said the UK "must keep going" with lockdown measures as he warned against giving coronavirus "a second chance to kill more people".

The foreign secretary, speaking at Downing Street's daily briefing, said the government did not expect to be able to give more details on when coronavirus lockdown measures might be lifted until the end of next week.

He reiterated social distancing "will have to stay in place" until there was evidence that "clearly shows we've moved beyond the peak" of the COVID-19 outbreak.

"We are not done yet, we must keep going," Mr Raab said.

Although there are "early signs" the lockdown measures - which have been in place for approaching three weeks - are "having the impact we need to see", the foreign secretary stressed it was "too early to say that conclusively".

"The deaths are still rising and we haven't yet reached the peak of the virus, so it's still too early to lift the measures that we put in place," he said.

"We must stick to the plan."

I think i need some advice-- i posted about this on the wrong thread (Texas)---
my husband is freaking me out--we are in a gated community in Fort Myers Fla--
There is a driving range here -' in the past few evenings my husband has been hitting
golf bakks on the range. There are a couple other older men hitting golf
balls --so my husband and these two men are talking to each othef- i asked him how far apart they are and it is not 6 feet--more like 2-4 feet-- he doesnt see anything wrong
with that situation and i am upset-- we are both in our mid 70s and i have asthma--
i dont know how to handle this but i see this as a threat to my life--i dont consider this time with this virus and all, a time for socializing---am i over reacting?

You are not overreacting. My husband had a hard time in the beginning. I used to have a food handlers permit. I have always treated my kitchen and the rest of the house according to health codes. On top of that I am a germaphobe. I had to explain to him what transference meant. And I sent him article after article. He also got in trouble for getting too close to people. I finally asked if he was trying to kill me. At last, I got through to him. I almost had to tell him he was going to have to go live in his man shed.

Good luck to you.

Most of the Americans are now sitting at home, not going to work. So they are using much more toilet paper at home than usual, since before they used toilet paper their workplace provided while they were working, and now they can't do that. Since people spend 8 hours at work, that's third of toilet paper they are no longer able to use.

Yes there was a video about this- did you see it? It said the same thing, that people are now using all their TP at home. The reporter’s investigator piece delved into this whole “toilet paper situation”.

The video talked about supply and production being an issue as far as meeting the demand, that these companies don’t store extra inventory for financial reasons, extra stock sitting in a warehouse.

He also said it’s not about “hoarding”, it’s about getting an increased supply so you can stay home and this is something that you know will be needed. (Paraphrasing)

Additionally, many manufacturers are in the specific corporate supply chain, and don’t have distribution via the major grocery chains. This is the cheaper toilet paper found in airports, etc.

I have no idea where that video is, may have been from a couple days ago.

Right, and if they have children it's multiplied, since the children are not at school, using the toilet paper there.
All I have now is the cheaper commercial toilet paper, but I figure if we have all used it all our lives in restaurants, etc., it still is toilet paper.

Good luck on that since almost everything is made in China these days.

Yes, I know.

But still, there are some local products, a bit more expensive, and I am not a big shopper, so I will try my best.

And after this terrible crisis, I guess lots of countries will try not to depend on import of almost everything from China anymore.

We have seen what has happened with masks, and it is just one example.

Are they just stupid? WTH. If I catch someone in my neighborhood doing this, I will be the meanie neighbor and call until it's broken up. :-(

Coronavirus: Police shut down 494 house parties in four days in Greater Manchester
People are being reminded they must stay at home after police saw DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles at some parties.

Police in Greater Manchester say they were called to 494 house parties in four days as people continue to flout the coronavirus lockdown.

The force has released maps showing the 1,132 incidents they were called to from 25 March to 7 April.

The Manchester Evening News reported that DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles were found by police.

It's really a good idea to plant a vegetable garden if you can. Don't be a Scarlett O'Hara !!!

Also in the article-

• The IMF is warning that we could be heading towards a major recession. Today, IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva warned that coronavirus is causing an economic crisis unlike any in the past century. “We anticipate the worst economic fallout since the Great Depression,” she said.

Are they just stupid? WTH. If I catch someone in my neighborhood doing this, I will be the meanie neighbor and call until it's broken up. :-(
Not just stupid, callous, selfish, irresponsible, reckless and dangerous too. Playing with people's lives. Probably deliberately being defiant. If advice was to go outside and party hard at other people's houses they would probably sit in and watch tv. JMO

Smithfield Foods closes U.S. pork plant due to new coronavirus

9 Apr 2020

[...]

The plant has a total of 3,700 workers, Smithfield said. It supplies nearly 130 million servings of food per week, or about 18 million servings per day, in the United States, according to the company, which is owned by China’s WH Group Ltd.

Tyson Foods Inc said on Monday it closed a pork plant in Columbus Junction, Iowa, after more than 24 cases of COVID-19 involving employees at the facility. U.S. beef plants run by JBS USA and National Beef Packing Company have also shut.

Smithfield Foods closes U.S. pork plant due to new coronavirus

I never buy my meat from any of the above companies, but this is very, very bad news. This signals the start of the food supply chain breaking down. Millions of people in the US depend on these companies to produce affordable meat that they can buy to feed their families.

@margarita25 do you think this might be why the CDC changed their recommendations yesterday on when essential workers can go back to work? Perhaps they are trying to head off the total closure of our big food companies and failure of the food supply? I was scared last night when I saw those new recommendations and now I'm even more afraid.

Going to work even more on my garden now... and continue to pray for God's mercy.

JMHO

just temporarily closing. I do not believe the food chain will shut down. It didn’t happen in China or Italy, no evidence that it will happen here. The media loves to fear monger.

So now it's been on your dirty car seat and you plan to put it back on your face? You are not supposed to even touch outside of it. And now its contaminated your seat and your seat contaminated it. At least keep it in a paper bag.
Basically, what you should be doing with a surgical mask is carefully remove it and throw it away, without touching the outside of it. I don't think anybody recommends reusing them.
WARNING: HUMOR (A friend sent this to us; I hope no one is offended by it.)

• Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.
• I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.
• I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
• Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or TheBedroom
• PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
• Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.
• I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
• This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.
• So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?
• Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.
• My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.
• Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.
• I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
• I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.
• Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.
• Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.
• Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under

This probably should be stickied at the top of every thread. Can really relate to the Puerto Backyarda trip. We got there yesterday and as it has been raining, the weeds were 3 feet tall. I thought the groundskeepers were doing a very poor job, actually. No swimming pool either.

I do have some friends with RA and or Lupus--they are really worried about the shortage. But I do think that they have put on a super acceleration to get more and more.. So I personally believe that before "too" long, patients on it, as well as doctors who want to prescribe it for covid will both be ok. My bigger concern is if we don't get the full Fed battle cry for antibodies, vaccines and other more targeted treatments.... then the due dilligence that should be taking place, and managed by doctors and scientists will not come to the forefront soon enough.

i am going to be trying to do some heavier research... The first article I had seen before it was mentioned on MSM, was this one. I just feel this Hemoglobin issue breaking down before the severe lung fluids building up is so signficant. It sort of --anecdotally of course--explains when people start to feel better but then crash. moo moo. Anyway this article is mostly about the EIDD.... As stated, I am going to continue to research the connection to the Hemoglobin.
A new antiviral drug heading into clinical trials offers hope for COVID-19 treatment — in part because it can be taken as a pill | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

FWIW, I think the hemoglobin and T-cell issues are going to be key to treating this disease. It explains so much, especially those people who drop dead or die at home without their lungs filling up or pneumonia or any signs of serious lung problems.

I sure hope they can rush these clinical trials as much as possible and expand the trials to the more populated states.

One study showed the byproducts of the dead and dying red blood cells in the autopsy results - so something is going on there.

Absolutely, Kali! I couldn´t agree more.
We are facing recession, unemployment and the prices of the food will go up, if there will be food at all (my country imports up to 60- 70%).

I have seen reports that unemployment is at 10%. Personally, that seems to be a fairytale to me. I don't think that the real numbers are even being reported.

The amount of toilet paper the average American uses hasn't changed; it's still around 141 rolls per year (compared to 134 rolls in Germany and just 49 rolls in China, AlixParters says). But even small changes in buying habits can throw everything into disarray.

With a regional disruption like a hurricane, stores can redirect some inventory to the affected area. But a global pandemic doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.
Charmin on Twitter
Angel Soft® on Twitter
Wiped out of toilet paper? Here's why

TMI WARNING:

Many cultures only use toilet paper when, um, it's absolutely necessary or only when they poop. And of course, then only a small amount.

Oh, God!
So, they are still consuming "companion animals" ...

I will boycott their products from now on, because of their practices that have endangered people all around the world. Not to speak about the poor animals.
MOO

Well..we've tried to do that for years now. My husband is keen on not buying from China. So no new TV for us. We'll live. BUT we do have smart phones, and there's no way around it. And I badly want an electric kettle. Italy makes refrigerators and cooktops, so that's what we have. Fortunately our hobby (playing various musical instruments) allows us to avoid buying from China.

DH will find and buy an older thing on eBay rather than buy anything from China. I've broken down and purchased jewelry findings from China to repair jewelry at home - can't find another source. And, well, make-up is so often made in China, I had to research to make sure my things were actually coming from France or Italy (Chantecaille, Nabla) and I make them last, as they are expensive. I figure I spend 3X as much for my blush than I would at the drugstore - but virtually all drugstore brands are made in China.

The thing is, China won't change without pressure from us, and our pressure on them is via the marketplace. So a boycott is in order, but it will take a massive shift in how America behaves - virtually everything in Target or WalMart is made in China. Costco is better.

I just can't see the US gearing up to make hospital beds or medical tubing or even adequate numbers of face masks any time soon. We'll rescue our airlines and car industries (maybe) and things will go back to the outsourcing of almost everything. Grohe still manufactures plumbing parts in Germany (again, expensive) but Lowe's and Home Depot mostly have their own Chinese-made brands. And that's what people will buy. Even with Grohe, I think you have to make sure you buy their main lines of things.

We do try to buy American made things (we were very disappointed when our mega-expensive SubZero refrigerator needed so much repair - it's so expensive to have someone fix it and it broke down on the regular and was eventually replaced by an Italian product). But we love Patagonia (but it outsources some of its processes to China - trying to promote ecologically sound practices in China).

WalMart has done a lot to improve working conditions for its Chinese employees (they get access to WalMart's massive food supply chain), and workers at many Chinese factories are the most educated people in China.

But unless the government is involved, nothing will change in terms of what animals they kill and eat. If our government put trade pressure on them, around this issue, right now and in the next couple of years, the time is right to get China to ban the killing, hunting and eating of companion animals AND wildlife. It is possible. Our consumer boycotts really can't accomplish it, IMO. But I will boycott anyway.

Hi everybody!
Last week I posted about my aunt and my grandmother, who both tested positive for Covid.

They have both recovered!!
My aunt is still not feeling 100%, she had a really tough time, but my Grandmother is kicking some butt. We think she got a low viral load, as my aunt was being very cautious whenever she went over to her house.

"I'm a tough old bird, it'll take more than some virus."

<3

You are not overreacting. My husband had a hard time in the beginning. I used to have a food handlers permit. I have always treated my kitchen and the rest of the house according to health codes. On top of that I am a germaphobe. I had to explain to him what transference meant. And I sent him article after article. He also got in trouble for getting too close to people. I finally asked if he was trying to kill me. At last, I got through to him. I almost had to tell him he was going to have to go live in his man shed.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for your reply--trying to.figure out if is a man thing, is he just dense, selfish or all.of the above

it is great that you were finally able to get througn to your husband!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marie93