Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
The nursing homes are being hit hard because the demographics are such that CV19 affects the old, sick and vulnerable the hardest.

My daughter is a CNA in a nursing home. She said they got their first 2 positive cases today and 6 others with symptoms. She hasn't worked that floor, but I really want her to just quit her job now. :(

Do you mean dairy farms ship it to groceries? It's raw, it has to be processed and pasturized. Dairy farms sell to creameries and other plants that process it before it is ready for sale. If they won't buy it from the dairy farms, the farms can't sell it.

Why does location matter? Just ship it to groceries so the kids have it to drink at home.

Farmers Dump Milk, Break Eggs as Coronavirus Restaurant Closings Destroy Demand

Farmers Dump Milk, Break Eggs as Coronavirus Restaurant Closings Destroy Demand
Producers are throttling back as the virus erases sales to restaurants, hotels and cafeterias; ‘It was heart-wrenching’
"
was still dark outside at four o’clock on a recent morning when a tanker truck poured 6,000 gallons of milk into a manure pit on Nancy Mueller’s Wisconsin dairy farm.

The milk, collected from Mueller Dairy Farm’s 1,000 cows, should have been hauled to dairy processors across the state for bottling or to be turned into cheese. But the coronavirus pandemic is disrupting all that, closing restaurants and schools that buy the nation’s dairy products—and forcing hard choices for farmers like Mrs. Mueller."

might have to be a subscribe to read.

What a terrible waste. This is reminding me of the milk lakes and butter mountains when we joined the EU. Why are they disposing of it at 4 a.m. in a manure pit? And why did they put it in the transportation tanker if they were just going to dump it on the manure pit. It doesn't make sense to me. That would not be allowed and be classed as pollution in the UK. Also, why break the eggs? Eggs can last for several weeks.

Last edited:
Why does location matter? Just ship it to groceries so the kids have it to drink at home.

I'm reading that grocery stores haven't had refrigerator space designed for thousands of tiny cartons of milk, like the ones in the schools.

Also, I hadn't realized that restaurant standards for eggs and milk are different to consumer standards. California just waived the rules so that restaurant eggs can be sold directly to the public. I have no idea why this is, or how it came about, but I do know that health codes for restaurants require different handling and packaging of things than home use.

,snipped for focus> Call my way of thinking scare mongering if you want. I think I'm seeing reality pretty clearly and I see no good solution to this problem in the short term. There is not enough PPE to protect everyone who has to work in the essential businesses. A vaccine is many months to possibly a year away. I'm going to go plant potatoes for the first time ever and pray that they work. I wish I had the land to plant fields of corn and rice and I wish I had the money to start keeping chickens, goats and rabbits. But we will hunt for our meat this year if we have to, we will grow everything we can afford to grow and we will survive.

Big MOO (no pun intended).

I don't call it fear mongering either. I call it being alert and recognizing potential problems so that you can respond appropriately. The people who see things happening early in the time line, are most likely to get prepared and they will do better than those who brush off the reports. There need not be fear in analyzing factual information.

Understanding the risks to yourself and people you care about can make an outbreak less stressful. When you share accurate information about COVID-19, you can help make people feel less stressed and make a connection with them. (1)

(1) Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

I saw on Fox this morning that pork prices for farmers have plummeted especially bacon products.

They said 65% of bacon used in the US is bought by restaurants including fast food businesses.

Jmho

So does that mean bacon will be cheaper? I know it can be expensive. We don't eat a whole lot of bacon but I have a tendency to look at the prices of everything in Publix, even foods I do not frequently eat.

Karma will come knocking (or breathing) on their doorstep.
I agree.
IMO, During this pandemic, Instacart should make the tipping mandatory, with at least 10% minimum of original order amount, and disable the down-tipping after deliveries. Those shoppers are my heroes. My life depends on them. Without them, my family will go hungry and become malnourished. I thank from the bottom of my heart all Instacart shoppers and Amazon deliverers.

BTW, I haven't purchased anything, no clothes, no shoes, no home stuff, no etc stuff, other than groceries the past month. First time in my life, never happened before.

Do you mean dairy farms ship it to groceries? It's raw, it has to be processed and pasturized. Dairy farms sell to creameries and other plants that process it before it is ready for sale. If they won't buy it from the dairy farms, the farms can't sell it.

Yeah, that's a big problem. There are so many legal hoops for companies to jump through too. If the plants that process the meat and milk (and other food products) shut down then the food may be wasted while at the same time people will still need the food and be unable to legally buy it at their markets. I hope more states will do as Wyoming and allowed consumers to buy directly from the farmers: Wyoming law allows consumers to bypass meat case for ranch gate

( @margarita25 the link says Colorado is thinking of enacting this-- allowing purchase directly from the ranches. If things get really bad this summer, I'll mail you some potatoes and other veggies in exchange for raw milk and meat. LOL :D )

Last edited:
Some farmers in UK have machines and sell raw milk straight to customers. It's very popular. Or they could make it into cheese or ice cream. Also, don't the dairies have contracts and have to buy the milk?

wow...never used those... i noticed some are out of stock. I think i will get some for tomatoes

Yes, they are selling out fast. I saved some to my list to buy last week and the next day when I went to purchase they were sold out. Get some while you can. I got 20 of them. I'm going to grow onions and carrots and other root veggies in them too.

ETA: I'm growing my tomatoes in a raised garden beds this year but in the past I have grown tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. Drill some holes in the bottom for drainage. Add a wire tomato cage before they get too big. They do really well.

MOO.

Last edited:
I wish I could *like* this more than once. I don’t get it, either. But I am in the minority in the UK, where rescue centres routinely won’t let you adopt unless the cat can go out. I luckily found a rescue that understands a loving indoor home is better than a) a small cage in a clinic or b) bring allowed to roam and run the risk of being killed.
This is totally crazy pants to me. I run a rescue and you can’t adopt our cats if you plan to let them outside. It’s the opposite of your situation.

Seems unusual that less milk is consumed when people eat at home rather than at school or restaurants.

So much of it is thrown away at schools, too. Lots of kids won't drink it. Heck, even 60 years ago when I first started school, some kids adamantly refused. No one in my mom's family (or their kids) would drink it. I think they were probably allergic, but in the 1920's, no one would have tested for it.

I've never seen a kid in our family order milk in a restaurant (it's always lemonade). Whereas, that's all I ever had in a restaurant. Milk or water were the choices. I don't think most restaurants even had lemonade back in the 60's.

In other news, really cool how Prada and Gucci have made patterns and found plastic fabric to make hazmat-style suits for nurses and doctors. And masks.

I forgot to tell you all. I don't know if this is the new standard or not. But good idea if you have to send someone off in an ambulance.

The EMTs gave me a pen and had me write my name and cell # on the transfer sheet. So the hospital would know who to call if my mom couldn't.

It’s not location, it’s selling wholesale quantities for mass distribution. Before school systems and restaurants would bulk order to distribute among schools and in restaurants. Now those orders are gone. Grocery stores couldn’t store that quantity of product. Also, demand may be down- kids drink milk at home but may be allowed to drink juice or soda at home. It’s a huge disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz