Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
But are not many of those delivery points closed any way? Schools are closed in just about all the Mid Atlantic states. I actually watched news stories of food thrown away, because there is no where to deliver the food.

In my area the children are still receiving meals from the schools. I live in a very poor rural area where the majority are under the poverty level. Parents here depend on the schools to feed their children breakfast and lunch. During the breaks and summers they are always sending backpacks full of food home for the kids and there are many food pantry programs and homeless shelters as well. Here's an example of a news article from today about a school food program that is still operating (not my school/location just an example):
Walker County serve up food, love to students during school closings

Here's another fairly recent article on school meal distribution for students this week:
AISD updates way they provide meals and Wi-Fi for students

Note it says WI-FI is available. That's an issue in my county as well-- many don't have internet at home. The schools where I live set up WI-FI locations where students could be driven up to get online for free to send in their homework or get their assignments.

I haven't seen anything about milk being thrown out in my local area. Where I live food from restaurants that have to close is being donated to schools, food pantries or homeless shelters for distribution in the community. No food is being throw out here unless it's gone bad. Our farmers are also giving food away instead of throwing it away like the dairy farm in this article: Free milk, cheese and yogurt at SUNY Morrisville dairy drive-through to support families, farmers

YMMV.

This probably should be stickied at the top of every thread. Can really relate to the Puerto Backyarda trip. We got there yesterday and as it has been raining, the weeds were 3 feet tall. I thought the groundskeepers were doing a very poor job, actually. No swimming pool either.

I'm glad the humor went over well! We need a little levity with all the serious and scary stuff going on.:D

Random thought:

Imagine if this would have happened before the evolution of the nternet...

We’d be getting our information from the TV news and newspapers, so we’d still have access to some information, but we would have much less delivery and supply options, etc.

The instantaneous global sharing of research and information would be massively downscaled as well.

I haven't seen anything about milk being thrown out in my local area. Where I live food from restaurants that have to close is being donated to schools, food pantries or homeless shelters for distribution in the community. No food is being throw out here unless it's gone bad. Our farmers are also giving food away instead of throwing it away like the dairy farm in this article: Free milk, cheese and yogurt at SUNY Morrisville dairy drive-through to support families, farmers

YMMV.

This is great. I have to admit that I don't fully understand why the food is being wasted, though I guess there is some liability involved. I can't imagine there aren't ways around that, to donate to food banks. It's all very reminiscent of The Grapes of Wrath - it can't just be that they figure people won't buy food that is given away for free, can it? People who can't afford much food to begin with?

I've also read 20% can have intestinal problems with nausea, and throwing up along with diarrhea.

I hadn't been in the hospital since 1987 when I had a hysterectomy.

I dont even have colds or the flu even though my hubby does, and when I'm his caregiver I still didnt catch the flu or colds. I dont get viruses either.

However in February 29, 2020 I woke up at 2am feeling very nauseated. Then began the worst experience I've ever had. I didn't have diarrhea, but the throwing up continued all that Saturday only getting worse. My hubby was begging me to go to the hospital, but I told him I had probably just picked up a virus, and it would go away. It didn't. At 3:00am Sunday morning he gave me no choice. They immediately admitted me. I couldnt eat, or drink anything. I guess I had thrown up so much it made the top part of my stomach raw, and inflamed. It literally felt like someone was ripping me open in the area in the middle right below my breasts. That pain continued for 6 days so I had nothing to drink or eat simply because it was too painful when it hit that specific area.

I have a high toleration pain level. I know this having to live with constant spinal pain.

But at one point I told my hubby I just wanted to die because I couldnt tolerate the pain anymore. To say the least that caused many tears to be shed by him, and our children too, but at the time, I meant it.

They gave me all sorts of meds in my IV ports. I had three ports at one time being used. One was potassium because it was critically low when admitted from all of the vomiting. I continued to have it thru that Friday until the doctor changed it to powdered potassium mixed with apple juice which I was finally able to swallow although still extremely painful.

On that Thursday I received three more flower arrangements. Then all of a sudden I began to sneeze, cough uncontrollably, gag, and it was hard to breathe. I don't have allergies, but to be safe my hubby took all flowersout of my room, and brought them home. It wasnt the flowers for it continued, and even when I came home it continued for over 2 weeks.

Then on Friday the night nurse insisted I take more liquid potassium even though I told her it had been changed to powder. It burned when taking it thru the IV.
I told her three times i wanted it by mouth. She ignored me so the port blewout. So I wound up with my hand swelling 10 times it's normal size. I thought my skin was literally going to explode before she came to take the port out. It was hurting so badly I thought I was going to pass out. Even now over a month later it's still swollen, and a knot is still on the top of my hand.

I had many tests ran during my stay. One was an endoscopy which I wound up going into Afib once the given propofol, and lidocaine. I was then rushed to the cardiologist floor resulting in several heart tests being run after then. All of those came out great.

I had never had any heart problems before in my entire life. In fact all of my vitals were perfect. The nurses even commented on how my vitals would usually be seen in someone who is in their 20s. Other tests I was to have done were also aborted three times due to the ineptness of the hospital staff.

Finally I had had enough of the unnecessary emotional, and physical trauma, and my family members were also beyond being enraged.

So we all demanded I be released so I could get out of that hell hole, and go home.

I still dont know what in the heck happened to me though on February 29th, but I never ever want to go thru it again.

This is the same hospital that virus patients must go to for care. Our area is the hotspot for my state. I'm saddened anyone has to depend on this hospital, nurses, and doctors. While there are still good nurses, and doctors there, many are not.

This is why it has a notoriously bad reputation way before this deadly virus struck our area.

God help all who wind up there for care.

Jmho
Just can't believe how harrowing this was for you...wow. But it seems unreal that they could not pinpoint ANYTHING.... that is horrible to have to live with, and will probably always ring when you feel any discomfort in the future...

People are luring Instacart shoppers with big tips -- and then changing them to zero - CNN
New York (CNN Business)In late March, Instacart worker Annaliisa Arambula accepted a grocery order that came with a big tip: $55. The store was just down the street, everything the customer wanted was available, and the order seemed to go off without a hitch.

But an hour later, Arambula checked her earnings on the Instacart app and the entire tip was gone, with a message saying the "customer modified the tip post-delivery." She ended up making just $8.95 from Instacart on the order.
Demand for grocery delivery is surging amid the Covid-19 pandemic, and many customers are struggling to get the items they want or even a time slot for a delivery. Some people are dealing with that by offering big tips, as high as $50 or more, to entice Instacart workers to pick up their orders. But some of those people have turned the tactic into a bait-and-switch, offering up the big tip and then taking it away as soon as the person who risked their health to get them their groceries has made the delivery.

Karma will come knocking (or breathing) on their doorstep.

Some children get much of their nutrition through the schools. They are underfed at home. That's why there are food backpack programs for the weekends, and summer feeding programs through the schools.

Seems unusual that less milk is consumed when people eat at home rather than at school or restaurants.

that stinks! Wondering if the spouse is reviewing the bill, then suggesting the change? Hopefully, not a lot of people are doing that.

People are luring Instacart shoppers with big tips -- and then changing them to zero - CNN
New York (CNN Business)In late March, Instacart worker Annaliisa Arambula accepted a grocery order that came with a big tip: $55. The store was just down the street, everything the customer wanted was available, and the order seemed to go off without a hitch.

But an hour later, Arambula checked her earnings on the Instacart app and the entire tip was gone, with a message saying the "customer modified the tip post-delivery." She ended up making just $8.95 from Instacart on the order.
Demand for grocery delivery is surging amid the Covid-19 pandemic, and many customers are struggling to get the items they want or even a time slot for a delivery. Some people are dealing with that by offering big tips, as high as $50 or more, to entice Instacart workers to pick up their orders. But some of those people have turned the tactic into a bait-and-switch, offering up the big tip and then taking it away as soon as the person who risked their health to get them their groceries has made the delivery.

Oh wow JustEve!! Thank you so much! Fantastic find!

Introduction:

Contact tracing: Public health management of persons, including healthcare workers, having had contact with COVID-19 cases in the European Union – first update
31 March 2020

Background
This document outlines the key steps of contact tracing, including contact identification, listing and follow-up, in the context of the COVID-19 response.
Contact management is based on the latest available evidence, as outlined below.

• Current estimates suggest a median incubation period from five to six days, with a range from 1 to 14 days. A recent modelling study confirmed that it remains prudent to consider an incubation period of up to 14 days [1,2].

• A case may already be infectious up to 48 hours before the onset of symptoms. A recent study reported that 12.6% of case reports indicated presymptomatic transmission [3]. In addition, the proportion of presymptomatic transmission has been inferred through modelling and was estimated to be – in the presence of control measures – at around 48% and 62% in Singapore and China (Tianjin data), respectively [4]. Other studies have shown no significant difference in viral load in asymptomatic and symptomatic patients, indicating the potential of virus transmission from asymptomatic patients [5-7].

• Transmission is believed to be mainly via respiratory droplets and direct contact with infected people and indirect contact with surfaces or objects in the immediate environment [8]. Recent experimental studies carried out under highly controlled conditions have demonstrated the survival of SARS-CoV-2 on different surfaces and in aerosol. Different levels of environmental contamination have been described in rooms of COVID-19 patients [9-11].

• Up to 10% of reported cases in China [12] and up to 9% of cases in Italy were among healthcare workers [13]. It is likely that nosocomial outbreaks play an important role in amplifying local outbreaks, and they disproportionately affect the elderly and vulnerable populations.

Scope of this document
This document aims to help EU/EEA public health authorities in the tracing and management of persons, including healthcare workers, who had contact with COVID-19 cases.

Suggested citation: European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Contact tracing: Public health management of persons, including healthcare workers, having had contact with COVID-19 cases in the European Union – second update, 31 March 2020. Stockholm: ECDC; 2020.
© European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Stockholm, 2020“”

Full document link:
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/de...ontact-novel-coronavirus-cases-2020-03-31.pdf

I think i remember you stating you are in the southeast...you should do fine with your potatoes... Just remember to keep mounding your plants!!! That makes all the difference in the world... And, if you don't mind using it, a little 10-10-10 away from the mounds helps too! I think the red are the easiest, and the ones that I get the greatest output...

Yes, I'm in the southeast. That's good news about the reds as there was only one package of white seed potatoes left in my garden store. I got mostly red potatoes and some sweet potatoes too. Supposedly sweet potatoes will do really well here too. I'm going to grow in potato bags-- I bought some on Amazon similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-5-...a4db-4490-a794-9cd9552ac58d&tag=bestcont06-20

Think about how many schools are no longer ordering milk for the kids, or bakeries for their products, restaurants for recipes, etc.

It's a lot. I hate that it's being wasted. And the eggs, too. They're scarce in my area, and I'd imagine that coloring eggs is going to look different this year with a shortage.

Why does location matter? Just ship it to groceries so the kids have it to drink at home.

Hi everybody!
Last week I posted about my aunt and my grandmother, who both tested positive for Covid.

They have both recovered!!
My aunt is still not feeling 100%, she had a really tough time, but my Grandmother is kicking some butt. We think she got a low viral load, as my aunt was being very cautious whenever she went over to her house.

"I'm a tough old bird, it'll take more than some virus."

<3

On this is so great Kadoober!! I had missed your original post about this, You all must be so relieved. Wonderful news!!

Yeah, the nursing homes, anything that houses and cares for old people are being hit hard.

One part of me says someone/something wants to get rid of them and the other part of me says the health of the elderly isn't good, they die easily. Thing is , WHY are the nursing homes being hit this hard? Who works in them? Are they spreading the virus? Why? Have they not been tested? If not, why not, since they are in charge of such a volnerable population? What is WRONG with this scenerio?
The nursing homes are being hit hard because the demographics are such that CV19 affects the old, sick and vulnerable the hardest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat