Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nursing homes are being hit hard because they are full of elderly people with pre-existing conditions. Those are the people who are most likely to die from covid. A lot of young people barely have any symptoms and can spread it around. Elderly are much more likely to die from it. They also live in large groups in nursing homes so it's easy to spread.

The virus transmission in BC started in care homes and was attributed to care homes contracting out and having staff working at various facilities. Initially all cases of Covid, and deaths due to it, were confined to those care homes and it took a while before the first community transmission occurred. Haven't had time to check the situation in other provinces, but BC's Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonny Henry, took over the staffing of nursing homes where the virus originally emerged in BC and started the spread in that province.

B.C. health officer takes over nursing-home staffing as coronavirus spreads

Hi everybody!
Last week I posted about my aunt and my grandmother, who both tested positive for Covid.

They have both recovered!!
My aunt is still not feeling 100%, she had a really tough time, but my Grandmother is kicking some butt. We think she got a low viral load, as my aunt was being very cautious whenever she went over to her house.

"I'm a tough old bird, it'll take more than some virus."

<3

This is such good news! There's so much bad news, it's so good to hear this.

Coronavirus: 881 more people die with COVID-19 in UK, taking total to 7,978

Coronavirus: 881 more people die with COVID-19 in UK, taking total to 7,978
The number of people confirmed to have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK now stands at 65,077.

Another 881 patients have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus - bringing the total to 7,978.

This is a smaller increase than the 938 deaths reported on Wednesday.

The latest figures were confirmed by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who was speaking at the Downing Street daily briefing.

He said 243,421 people have been tested for the virus, 65,077 have tested positive, and the number of people admitted to hospital with coronavirus symptoms now stands at 16,784.

"And of those who have contracted the virus, 7,978 have sadly died," Mr Raab said.

A lot of matching symptoms, moo

Not saying it’s CV of course, but some things really stand out - pink eye, loss of taste and smell, as well as the other things you mentioned, headache, cough, heavy chest and trouble breathing, runny tears (I posted about this yesterday actually, runny tears).

Does influenza ever cause conjunctivitis, etc?

I hope you get to feeling better.

Again the first case was traced back to November 17th in China. This tells me it’s likely been circulating a while.

In Harley Dilly’s thread on Dec. 20, @Bravo said she had pneumonia, and I said “wow, you are the fifth person I know that has pneumonia right now”.

Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

But if China had it in November, then chances are good IMO it was in the States circulating by December and January. JMO.

Of course, again, not saying it’s CV Shelby1, the only way to know would be to get tested of course.

I've also read 20% can have intestinal problems with nausea, and throwing up along with diarrhea.

I hadn't been in the hospital since 1987 when I had a hysterectomy.

I dont even have colds or the flu even though my hubby does, and when I'm his caregiver I still didnt catch the flu or colds. I dont get viruses either.

However in February 29, 2020 I woke up at 2am feeling very nauseated. Then began the worst experience I've ever had. I didn't have diarrhea, but the throwing up continued all that Saturday only getting worse. My hubby was begging me to go to the hospital, but I told him I had probably just picked up a virus, and it would go away. It didn't. At 3:00am Sunday morning he gave me no choice. They immediately admitted me. I couldnt eat, or drink anything. I guess I had thrown up so much it made the top part of my stomach raw, and inflamed. It literally felt like someone was ripping me open in the area in the middle right below my breasts. That pain continued for 6 days so I had nothing to drink or eat simply because it was too painful when it hit that specific area.

I have a high toleration pain level. I know this having to live with constant spinal pain.

But at one point I told my hubby I just wanted to die because I couldnt tolerate the pain anymore. To say the least that caused many tears to be shed by him, and our children too, but at the time, I meant it.

They gave me all sorts of meds in my IV ports. I had three ports at one time being used. One was potassium because it was critically low when admitted from all of the vomiting. I continued to have it thru that Friday until the doctor changed it to powdered potassium mixed with apple juice which I was finally able to swallow although still extremely painful.

On that Thursday I received three more flower arrangements. Then all of a sudden I began to sneeze, cough uncontrollably, gag, and it was hard to breathe. I don't have allergies, but to be safe my hubby took all flowersout of my room, and brought them home. It wasnt the flowers for it continued, and even when I came home it continued for over 2 weeks.

Then on Friday the night nurse insisted I take more liquid potassium even though I told her it had been changed to powder. It burned when taking it thru the IV.
I told her three times i wanted it by mouth. She ignored me so the port blewout. So I wound up with my hand swelling 10 times it's normal size. I thought my skin was literally going to explode before she came to take the port out. It was hurting so badly I thought I was going to pass out. Even now over a month later it's still swollen, and a knot is still on the top of my hand.

I had many tests ran during my stay. One was an endoscopy which I wound up going into Afib once the given propofol, and lidocaine. I was then rushed to the cardiologist floor resulting in several heart tests being run after then. All of those came out great.

I had never had any heart problems before in my entire life. In fact all of my vitals were perfect. The nurses even commented on how my vitals would usually be seen in someone who is in their 20s. Other tests I was to have done were also aborted three times due to the ineptness of the hospital staff.

Finally I had had enough of the unnecessary emotional, and physical trauma, and my family members were also beyond being enraged.

So we all demanded I be released so I could get out of that hell hole, and go home.

I still dont know what in the heck happened to me though on February 29th, but I never ever want to go thru it again.

This is the same hospital that virus patients must go to for care. Our area is the hotspot for my state. I'm saddened anyone has to depend on this hospital, nurses, and doctors. While there are still good nurses, and doctors there, many are not.

This is why it has a notoriously bad reputation way before this deadly virus struck our area.

God help all who wind up there for care.

Jmho

And not only that. But the parents in today's culture here in the US start the problem by pressuring their kids to get out "on their own" and LEAVE and get out of the house.

Some cultures in other countries dont have that but at least for me growing up , that was always a pressure put on us children in the home to LEAVE. Get out and succeed in life on your own.

I always wondered why our society is like that. What would it hurt if we told our kids that they should stay. Bring in your new wives and husbands and we will pool resources and expand our house if we have to. Put a 2nd story on it or something but dont leave but stay.
That sure wasnt the message my parents gave us kids.

A long article, but gives interesting history and analysis of shifts in what is normative for family in the U.S. and elsewhere, looks at nuclear family and cultures that still have multigenerational family norm, etc. Note that the title of the article is somewhat misleading, it is a more nuanced history than the title suggests, and in no way is it saying that individuals are responsible for the problems, it is a cultural shift based on a lot of factors, including economic and political issues.

The Nuclear Family Was a Mistake

Last edited:
Indiana (I just got home this may be redundant)

Positive 6351
Deaths 245
Tested 32133

ISDH - Novel Coronavirus: Indiana Novel Coronavirus Map

Yesterday's numbers:

Positive 5943
Deaths 203
Tested 30869

If you go to the link and scroll down to the metrics by day, it looks hopeful. Jmo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-145958_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200409-145958_Samsung Internet.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1
I've also read 20% can have intestinal problems with nausea, and throwing up along with diarrhea.

I hadn't been in the hospital since 1987 when I had a hysterectomy.

I dont even have colds or the flu even though my hubby does, and when I'm his caregiver I still didnt catch the flu or colds. I dont get viruses either.

However in February 29, 2020 I woke up at 2am feeling very nauseated. Then began the worst experience I've ever had. I didn't have diarrhea, but the throwing up continued all that Saturday only getting worse. My hubby was begging me to go to the hospital, but I told him I had probably just picked up a virus, and it would go away. It didn't. At 3:00am Sunday morning he gave me no choice. They immediately admitted me. I couldnt eat, or drink anything. I guess I had thrown up so much it made the top part of my stomach raw, and inflamed. It literally felt like someone was ripping me open in the area in the middle right below my breasts. That pain continued for 6 days so I had nothing to drink or eat simply because it was too painful when it hit that specific area.

I have a high toleration pain level. I know this having to live with constant spinal pain.

But at one point I told my hubby I just wanted to die because I couldnt tolerate the pain anymore. To say the least that caused many tears to be shed by him, and our children too, but at the time, I meant it.

They gave me all sorts of meds in my IV ports. I had three ports at one time being used. One was potassium because it was critically low when admitted from all of the vomiting. I continued to have it thru that Friday until the doctor changed it to powdered potassium mixed with apple juice which I was finally able to swallow although still extremely painful.

On that Thursday I received three more flower arrangements. Then all of a sudden I began to sneeze, cough uncontrollably, gag, and it was hard to breathe. I don't have allergies, but to be safe my hubby took all flowersout of my room, and brought them home. It wasnt the flowers for it continued, and even when I came home it continued for over 2 weeks.

Then on Friday the night nurse insisted I take more liquid potassium even though I told her it had been changed to powder. It burned when taking it thru the IV.
I told her three times i wanted it by mouth. She ignored me so the port blewout. So I wound up with my hand swelling 10 times it's normal size. I thought my skin was literally going to explode before she came to take the port out. It was hurting so badly I thought I was going to pass out. Even now over a month later it's still swollen, and a knot is still on the top of my hand.

I had many tests ran during my stay. One was an endoscopy which I wound up going into Afib once the given propofol, and lidocaine. I was then rushed to the cardiologist floor resulting in several heart tests being run after then. All of those came out great.

I had never had any heart problems before in my entire life. In fact all of my vitals were perfect. The nurses even commented on how my vitals would usually be seen in someone who is in their 20s. Other tests I was to have done were also aborted three times due to the ineptness of the hospital staff.

Finally I had had enough of the unnecessary emotional, and physical trauma, and my family members were also beyond being enraged.

So we all demanded I be released so I could get out of that hell hole, and go home.

I still dont know what in the heck happened to me though on February 29th, but I never ever want to go thru it again.

This is the same hospital that virus patients must go to for care. Our area is the hotspot for my state. I'm saddened anyone has to depend on this hospital, nurses, and doctors. While there are still good nurses, and doctors there, many are not.

This is why it has a notoriously bad reputation way before this deadly virus struck our area.

God help all who wind up there for care.

Jmho

Sorry you had to go through all that but glad you are better now.

We had a very similar bad experience in a hospital about a year ago. We were fixing to walk out on our own because they were pumping so many medicines into my wife she began having all kinds of bad reactions to them. The reactions were much worse than the reason she was in there in the first place.

It was incredible. Every 30 minutes or so someone would come in and give her something for this or for that. Blood pressure low, gave her blood pressure medicine. Blood sugar not right, something for that. And that wasnt the problem we originally went in for. After she had a terrible full body rash from one of the medicines, and after days of this sort of thing, we were ready to walk out and they agreed that she could finish recovery at home.

I have to suspect that some hosptials dont realize us frail humans cannot take everything they are feeding into our veins all at once. Some people can but some definitely cannot handle it.

And I have to wonder how many Coronavirus patients have died because they were too old to handle all the medicine that was being fed to them. Maybe if some of it was given with less volume or slower dosages then many of those would have survived.

We know they try their best but I seriously think a lot of the hospitals do not realize that some of us just cannot handle a ton of different medicines being poured into our bodies all at once. I know one person that cant handle it for sure.

Hi everybody!
Last week I posted about my aunt and my grandmother, who both tested positive for Covid.

They have both recovered!!
My aunt is still not feeling 100%, she had a really tough time, but my Grandmother is kicking some butt. We think she got a low viral load, as my aunt was being very cautious whenever she went over to her house.

"I'm a tough old bird, it'll take more than some virus."

<3

Great news!!
I am very happy for you, your Aunt and your tough Granny!

just temporarily closing. I do not believe the food chain will shut down. It didn’t happen in China or Italy, no evidence that it will happen here. The media loves to fear monger.

How is it fear mongering to report the fact that the meat plants are shutting down? Yes it's only for 3 days right now but that will lead to even greater meat shortages. Smithfield produces 18 million servings of meat per day-- that means 54 million servings of meat that will not be produced while it is shut down. That's millions of homes, schools, restaurants that are not going to be able to purchase meat. I don't know about where you live, but I have already seen meat shortages. My stores had no meat for 2 weeks and when they had meat again last week they were only allowing 2 packages per household per type of meat (2 chicken, 2 pork, 2 beef, etc). I expect when I go back to the store again (which I can't afford to do for another week) the limit will have been lowered to 1 package per household, if I can get any meat at all. I don't ever buy Smithfield. I prefer pastured pork only and eat very few pork products period, but this shutdown will greatly affect me and everyone else too. Because many millions of people who buy Smithfield will get another brand when Smithfield pork is not there. If there is no pork they will buy a different meat. Then if there is no meat at all they will turn to buying beans and other food items such as grains so that the vegetarians will also not have the food they need available. There was already a brief shortage on beans in my area as well (we ate more beans and rice for 2 weeks because we couldn't get meat, so I know from experience and I'm sure this is what everyone else did who couldn't buy meat). Fortunately, some beans came back in stock after the first round of panic buying and after the store started limiting meat purchases. But companies that process beans and vegetables and all other kinds of food could face the same kind of shut downs as Smithfield. Then what?

If the CDC had not changed it's guidelines I fully believe Smithfield could have been shut down for 14 days to quarantine all who had contact with the employees who have coronavirus. I hope they can get all their employees tested and put only those who test negative back to work right away. But this is a disaster in the making to put people who are exposed back to work after only a few days. Let's say majority exposed have no symptoms and go back to work 4 days later when the plant reopens. Ok good, they might keep the plant open for a couple more days until more people get sick from the previous exposure. Incubation is up to 14 days. Then what? do they shut for another 3 or 4 days? Or do they stay open now and only tell the symptomatic people to go home? The cycle of infection from pre-symptomatic people will continue until everyone in the company has it with these guidelines. But there is no winning solution here. More essential employees are going to get coronavirus and more are going to die because of these new guidelines from the CDC. But Americans will eventually die from starvation as well without a steady supply of food in the markets. This is tragic, but I see no way around it. They can't shut down the food and medical based companies long enough to fully stamp out the virus without major disruption of the food supply. But if too many essential employees get sick at once we are also in big trouble.

Call my way of thinking scare mongering if you want. I think I'm seeing reality pretty clearly and I see no good solution to this problem in the short term. There is not enough PPE to protect everyone who has to work in the essential businesses. A vaccine is many months to possibly a year away. I'm going to go plant potatoes for the first time ever and pray that they work. I wish I had the land to plant fields of corn and rice and I wish I had the money to start keeping chickens, goats and rabbits. But we will hunt for our meat this year if we have to, we will grow everything we can afford to grow and we will survive.

Big MOO (no pun intended).

Bummer news. Summer is not expected to suppress CV in the U.S. very much.

The article also says that historically, flu pandemics have a peak second wave approximately six months after emergence of the virus in the human population, regardless of when the initial introduction occurred. This what CV modeling has shown as well. Might have been nice for the article to explain why that would be, because it is not remotely intuitive.

Anyone know?

The homebound and virus-wary across the Northern Hemisphere, from President Donald Trump to cooped-up schoolchildren, have clung to the possibility that the coronavirus pandemic will fade in hot weather, as some viral diseases do.

But the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, in a public report sent to the White House, has said, in effect: Don’t get your hopes up. After reviewing a variety of research reports, a panel concluded that the studies, of varying quality of evidence, do not offer a basis to believe that summer weather will interfere with the spread of the coronavirus. The pandemic may lessen because of social distancing and other measures, but the evidence so far does not inspire confidence in the benefits of sun and humidity.

Pandemics do not behave the same way seasonal outbreaks do. For the National Academies’ report, researchers looked at the history of flu pandemics as an example. “There have been 10 influenza pandemics in the past 250-plus years — two started in the Northern Hemisphere winter, three in the spring, two in the summer and three in the fall,” the report said. “All had a peak second wave approximately six months after emergence of the virus in the human population, regardless of when the initial introduction occurred.”

Summer heat may not diminish coronavirus strength | Boston.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member