Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oakland is closing 74 miles of city streets to make more room for physical distancing

[...]

Mayor Libby Schaaf gave a preview of the new initiative, dubbed Oakland Slow Streets, in a virtual town hall Thursday night.

Parks are too crowded to maintain proper physical distancing, Chief Resilience Officer Alexandra McBride noted, so the city's creative solution is to take advantage of the 20% to 30% of land dedicated to roads.

City streets will close roads to vehicular traffic mostly in and around residential neighborhoods. The official rollout of this emergency and details are expected to be released later today.

Coronavirus pandemic: Live updates - CNN

(Also posted in CA thread)

While I understand completely these nurses' frustrations, how does a sit-in and refusing to work help? This will just allow more patients to die. Detroit, like NYC, has just been unprepared to deal with the rapid influx of patients in dire straits. However, I do NOT think this is the way to respond :(

Seems like my whole life I've paid more taxes than the generic family with 3 (or 10) kids next door, even though making a similar income. So I'm used to being discriminated against. In favor of sending their kids to school for the well being of all of us.
It does pzzz me off though, that it's not recognized when leaders start their bombastic, purposely ignorant, rants against "people who don't pay taxes". When it was all the legislatures that formed this system in the first place, where so few of us pay income taxes.
In Alaska seniors have a huge exemption on property taxes if they live on their own property, permanently.
Yes I know I'm discussing more than one kind of tax.
Now that's interesting that seniors have a huge exemption on property taxes if they live on their own property, permanently. I like that.

And let me just add........I LOVE ALASKA!!! Mush!!

APR 10, 2020
Live: Coronavirus daily news updates, April 10: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
[...]

The number of COVID-19 cases in Washington continues to grow, though at a slower rate. As of 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, the state has confirmed 9,608 people infected with the virus, including 446 who have died.

[...]

The following graphic includes the most recent numbers from the Washington State Department of Health, released Thursday evening.

Wa-COVID-19-4.9-daily-W-780x867.jpg

[...]

(Also posted in WA thread)

Seems like my whole life I've paid more taxes than the generic family with 3 (or 10) kids next door, even though making a similar income. So I'm used to being discriminated against. In favor of sending their kids to school for the well being of all of us.
It does pzzz me off though, that it's not recognized when leaders start their bombastic, purposely ignorant, rants against "people who don't pay taxes". When it was all the legislatures that formed this system in the first place, where so few of us pay income taxes.
In Alaska seniors have a huge exemption on property taxes if they live on their own property, permanently.
Yes I know I'm discussing more than one kind of tax.

I feel your pain. In the same boat.

That's why it's good to have that medical ID filled out on your cell phone. It's accessible even when your phone is locked, and lets you give the basic medical info...blood type, medications you're on, whom to call etc.

Question; Where does a person locate the medical info that says their Blood type? I have suggested asking the PCP, if a person has been previously admitted.
Otherwise....I don't know.

WATCH: Covid-19 measures to remain in place until 5 May

(Ireland)

The Taoiseach has announced that the Covid-19 restrictions will be extened for a further three weeks until Tuesday 5 May.

Leo Varadkar made the announcement this afternoon following a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency team today.

He thanked the Irish people for their forbearance and sacrifice, in the effort to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Mr Varadkar said that because the vast majority of people have heeded the advice, the spread of the virus has been disrupted.

He said the spread has been slowed but it has not been stopped, adding that too many people had died and that "many more will die and many more will get sick before this is over".

The Taoiseach said "people are wondering when live will get back to normal. We are working toward that, planning carefully, so we get there safely. No one knows for certain when that will be, or how are lives will be different. All we can do is take one day at a time".

He asked people to choose solidarity over self interest.

I agree that it should be considered that schools maybe go back after Easter in a lot of countries/states. Children are a low risk group. What do posters think?
For me, I would worry that my son would contract the virus from someone at school. We have been isolating at home to protect my mom, and I have no idea if the families of classmates are adhering to protocols.

Back in the 90's I was given a five pound block of government cheese. It was so good. I have often wished I could get my hands on some more!

It was a government commodities program. We used to get cheese, peanut butter, cornmeal, butter, sometimes flour, powdered milk.

Probably something that should be looked at to start up again. I know a lot of families who are really in a bind. Especially people who are undocumented. They were doing fine working unskilled jobs, but those jobs are mostly gone. They won't be eligible for any unemployment, food stamps, EBT, or even that mythical money we are supposed to get.

That portion of our community is going to be hit particularly hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname