TN - 3 women stabbed to death at truck stop, Knox County, 7 April 2020

Truck stop stabbing spree suspect's mother: 'He's not a violent person'

"Idris Abdus-Salaam's mother contends he was not capable of the unexplained violence that left three women dead at an East Knox County truck stop.

Walidah Abdus-Salaam, however, maintains that such a heinous act is completely out of character for her son."

"He's not a violent person," she told Knox News. "The picture they painted is ugly. That is not my son.

"I don't believe it, and I refuse to believe it until they can prove otherwise to me."

"Abdus-Salaam was a U.S.-born citizen, a longtime Durham resident and a practicing Muslim, his mother said. He was not married and had no children.

Although he traveled frequently for his work, he stayed in close contact with his family and had spoken to his sister a couple of days before the attack.

His loved ones had no reason to believe he had become radicalized by any sort of religious fanaticism, his mother said.

The family had no indication Abdus-Salaam was suffering from mental illness, either.

"Unless it developed recently and I'm not aware of it," Walidah Abdus-Salaam said."
People who plan attacks generally stay under the radar. It’s not surprising that his family was taken by surprise. His online presence and his writings will bear out his state of mind.

"Idris Abdus-Salaam's mother contends he was not capable of the unexplained violence that left three women dead at an East Knox County truck stop.

Walidah Abdus-Salaam, however, maintains that such a heinous act is completely out of character for her son."

[...]

"I don't believe it, and I refuse to believe it until they can prove otherwise to me."
RSBBM

Denial is real. It was not some racist decision decision to arrest her son - he was "armed with a knife" and "identified by witnesses as the suspect" at the scene of the crime, FFS!

She can believe what she wants... he's gone and no one has to prove anything to her (unless she sues someone, I guess). That said, I hope they show her video from inside the store. She will likely still deny it.

I'm sorry; I know I sound like I have a stone for a heart, but I never quite get the concept of blindly supporting a loved one in the face of so much evidence. I am sorry for her loss - no only of her son's life, but of the son she thought she knew.

RSBBM

Denial is real. It was not some racist decision decision to arrest her son - he was "armed with a knife" and "identified by witnesses as the suspect" at the scene of the crime, FFS!

She can believe what she wants... he's gone and no one has to prove anything to her (unless she sues someone, I guess). That said, I hope they show her video from inside the store. She will likely still deny it.

I'm sorry; I know I sound like I have a stone for a heart, but I never quite get the concept of blindly supporting a loved one in the face of so much evidence. I am sorry for her loss - no only of her son's life, but of the son she thought she knew.
In the state where I live there have been several high profile cases of young men killing police officers over the past few years. Without exception, the mothers of the murderers have been very outspoken in their denials than their “boys” could have murdered anyone, despite clear video evidence.

In each case, the murderers had multiple felonies. But each mom stated her boy had recently turned his life around.

In one case an officer was ambushed when he went to check on a disabled vehicle at the side of the highway. The man in the car shot and killed the officer as he approached. This murderers had 11 felonies in his past. 11! Yet his mom stated he had recently turned his life around and didn’t believe he committed the murder.

"He's not a violent person," she told Knox News. "The picture they painted is ugly. That is not my son.

"Abdus-Salaam was a U.S.-born citizen, a longtime Durham resident and a practicing Muslim, his mother said. He was not married and had no children.

Although he traveled frequently for his work, he stayed in close contact with his family and had spoken to his sister a couple of days before the attack.

His loved ones had no reason to believe he had become radicalized by any sort of religious fanaticism, his mother said.

The family had no indication Abdus-Salaam was suffering from mental illness, either.

"Unless it developed recently and I'm not aware of it," Walidah Abdus-Salaam said."

I do tend to agree with his mom on one thing only.

I dont think mental illiness had anything to do with his murder spree.

It's so sad he chose older vulnerable victims who were defenseless to stop him, but that's what cowards do.

Thank God, LE did stop him once they arrived or there more than likely would have been many more victims.

Jmho

Wow, that is a really close resemblance. I wonder what other crimes they’ll connect his DNA to in the coming months.

Snip:
“The Millington Police Department in Shelby County is still trying to identify the man who stabbed a nurse practitioner multiple times outside a mental health clinic where she worked last October.

The department said the victim was “fortunate to survive.” She aided detectives in creating a police sketch of her attacker, a man investigators said was in his 30s or 40s.”

Wow, that is a really close resemblance. I wonder what other crimes they’ll connect his DNA to in the coming months.

Snip:
“The Millington Police Department in Shelby County is still trying to identify the man who stabbed a nurse practitioner multiple times outside a mental health clinic where she worked last October.

The department said the victim was “fortunate to survive.” She aided detectives in creating a police sketch of her attacker, a man investigators said was in his 30s or 40s.”
OMG. :eek:

Regardless whether this turns out to be the same individual, I am gobsmacked by this loser’s cowardice - attacking women for no known reason. F his mom and her delusions. :mad:

This particular Pilot, has a Subway restaurant and a Cinnabon area. My daughter and I stop here regularly (or we did up until a month ago), I have never witnessed anyone working at the Cinnabon station but we are never traveling through at 7am. This location has 2 self check out stations, but usually has at least 4-5 employees not including anyone who works at Subway. It’s fairly new or at least one of the more up-to-date locations.

On a completely unrelated note.
And I’ll admit partly the reason I’m drawn to get gas at this exit, is because of an unsolved crime from 1996 that happened at this exit. If you haven’t heard of it...
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-31-knoxville-july-1996.225941/#post-9991277
TN - TN - Robert Adams, 31, Knoxville, July 1996

but I’ll probably rethink stopping in the future.

given his name, was he muslim? im not saying it was because he was a muslim but it could be if he was radcalized. btw, anyone know how to turn off auto videos from popping up and playing? its annoying
There’s a thread for the auto video playing. It no longer happens on my phone or tablet but it does still happen on my laptop. I don’t know what the solution is but maybe that thread can help you.

This particular Pilot, has a Subway restaurant and a Cinnabon area. My daughter and I stop here regularly (or we did up until a month ago), I have never witnessed anyone working at the Cinnabon station but we are never traveling through at 7am. This location has 2 self check out stations, but usually has at least 4-5 employees not including anyone who works at Subway. It’s fairly new or at least one of the more up-to-date locations.

On a completely unrelated note.
And I’ll admit partly the reason I’m drawn to get gas at this exit, is because of an unsolved crime from 1996 that happened at this exit. If you haven’t heard of it...
TN - TN - Robert Adams, 31, Knoxville, July 1996

but I’ll probably rethink stopping in the future.

interesting case - thank u!

"The District Attorney ruled that Officer Jordan Hurst of the Knox Co. Sheriff's Office was justified in his shooting of Idris Abdus-Salaam at a Knoxville Pilot truck stop in June 2020. The video shows the deputy confronting the suspect after he stabbed four women. The officer ordered Salaam to stop and drop the weapon multiple times. Salaam kept advancing on him and Officer Hurst fired his weapon. "

Suspect In Deadly Pilot Stabbing ‘Acted Alone’ Deputy-Involved Shooting Was Justified, Says DA

"The suspect in a deadly stabbing at a Strawberry Plains Pilot acted alone, according to the Knox County District Attorney Charme Allen.

In a Monday press conference, Allen announced investigators determined that Idris Abdus-Salaam had no outside help in the stabbing incident that left three women dead and another injured.

Allen said investigators believe Abdus-Salaam was a “paranoid and unstable person” and a “loner.” Notes from a personal diary showed that Abdus-Salaam had previously been a corrections officer and was fired. He reportedly wrote about harboring anger toward police officers and fantasizing about killing.

Abdus-Salaam was killed by a Knox County Sheriff’s deputy at the scene of the stabbing on April 7. The DA’s office determined the shooting was justified."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back