Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I see other posters have indicated, the job search requirement and having to accepting your job back have been removed from Unemployment here in my state as well (Virginia).
I'm thinking that childcare/schools issues have to go hand-in-hand with unemployment and reopening issues. Someone might want to return to their job but if kids are at home because schools are closed - unemployment would make more sense.

Things need to be not only coordinated, but also flexible. Rigid solutions just aren't going to work right now, as we open up again.

jmo

Actually, if an employer offers an employee a job offer, back to work, and the employee declines a valid job offer, the employer can contact Unemployment insurance, and have the employee disqualified from collecting UI.

Each weekly filing, a claimant has to "certify" that they did not decline any job offers, that they were able and available for work. So...
In Indiana there is a box to check if your unemployment is COVID related. Checking the box eliminates the requirement to search for a job, and the need to state that you didn’t decline a job.

I'm 100% aware. However, it's been ignored for years. It's a control issue.
I understand! But it's an issue that can be addressed at least. Call it out, get it changed. (I have worked on a similar issue, pre-covid era, and I'm a bit zealous that things we complain about actually can be fixed.)

jmo

WHO: 'Up to half' of Europe coronavirus deaths in care homes - BBC News

Summary
  1. WHO reveals 'deeply concerning' estimate that half of European Covid-19 deaths occurred in care homes
  2. US unemployment claims hit 26.4 million - more than 15% of the workforce
  3. German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been addressing lawmakers in Berlin
  4. Mrs Merkel says Germany is ready to make "significantly higher" contributions to the EU budget
  5. It comes as EU leaders are expected to sign off on a rescue package for countries hardest-hit by the crisis
  6. China reports no new Covid-19 deaths for the eighth day in a row
  7. Big Night In - a star-studded BBC fundraising telethon - takes place from 19:00 BST in the UK on Thursday
I don't know where to begin. Some devastating news here.

Thank you from a Mom and Pop restaurant, that has owned 4 locations over 30 years in So. California.
All paid for cash with hard earned money.
No investors, no bank loans.
About a gift from God, would have been the $10,000. Forgivable Bond.
We applied immediately. No response, no money and neither of us have got the $1,200.00.
We have got zip.
Currently, we owe our landlord, the IRS, sales tax, and vendors.
It's a cascading wave.
I really care about our vendors.
With that said, I have no idea what we will do.
The lack of help is soul crushing.
Edited to add.
I have never hated politicians more then I do right now.
MOO.

"It's a cascading wave." - Kali

Is there a window of time before you call it quits
or can you hang on for another month?

1. Posted at 16:0716:07
    'I just don't see how we'll be able to recover'
    70e1d0b2-bd36-47e9-b33d-4c542fffc3fa.jpg

Helier Cheung

BBC News, Washington DC

Small businesses in the US have been hurting badly because of the outbreak - a $349bn loan programme for small businesses ran out of money within two weeks.

Daniel Victory owns Victory Bar in New Orleans, and says "the outbreak totally shut me down".

"I have two kids, so it's difficult - I haven't had a pay cheque in a month-and-a-half.

"I just don't see how we'll be able to recover - in downtown New Orleans we depend on tourists. I'm scared I'm going to become another mom-and-pop shop that's closed down."

upload_2020-4-23_16-24-51.gif

2. Crista RockCopyright: Crista Rock
    Article share tools
    @KALI you need to get yourself on media like this guy from New Orleans. Seems like it is a national problem. This is from the BBC link I posted a few posts back. Contact this Washington reporter maybe via Twitter.

Good picture in this article of Covid Toes.

Yep, I still have my one big Covid Toe with one rectangle red patch on the skin below the toenail. It doesn't hurt or itch. I feel fine and I have no symptoms, so I don't know what to make of my toe. Sure, it could be some other condition causing it, but it showed up coincidently right when the virus did. I don't know if calling my doctor at this time might be useless.

Doctors say 'COVID toes' may be symptom of coronavirus, especially in youth

Maybe, Call the doctor. Need to eliminate the possibility.
Is the sore healing at all?

What causes red spots on the feet? Other symptoms and treatment

"It's a cascading wave." - Kali

Is there a window of time before you call it quits
or can you hang on for another month?

My brother's very small business applied too. Right away. He has the case # and the confirmation.

No word at all. Nothing. From the numbers it looks like there were 3113 businesses in his state that got the $10,000 and 85 got a loan.

Payroll protection program? Ha.

I also think the unemployment offices are deliberately going slowly so as to reduce the daily new unemployment claims filed.

This is going to be an awful awful rest of the year. Who is going to spend any money this summer? We have let our economy be driven by consumers and if you take away consumer spending, we have nothing.

Honestly, I don't see improvement this summer, nor this fall or winter when the second wave hits and the winter flu season starts up again.

And all those unemployed without healthcare insurance? I think we have a looming public healthcare crisis that is the tsunami right behind the second wave.

Last edited:
I go back and forth every day it seems, on how bad COVID-19 will affect the economy. The mix of bad news, good news, contradictory news, and biased news; spins me in different directions.

One thing that has been positive- stocks have remained strong. Down 18% from the start of the crisis. But still at a level that they were a year ago. Typically the market is a good gauge of how the economic future looks.

Feeling good this morning.

upload_2020-4-23_11-39-6.png

I keep hearing various political leaders, news outlets discussing the issues of mental health, huge escalations of suicides.

But I have not actually seen any data in regards to this claim. I even looked for hard data numbers, and I haven't seen the numbers. Just the claims. Anyone who has found the data? Not just the "claims"?

I keep hearing various political leaders, news outlets discussing the issues of mental health, huge escalations of suicides.

But I have not actually seen any data in regards to this claim. I even looked for hard data numbers, and I haven't seen the numbers. Just the claims. Anyone who has found the data? Not just the "claims"?

Police absences may lead to rise in suicides, MPs told

This is a UK Guardian article from early April that mentions this subject. Suicides in the UK are generally dealt with by coroner's inquests so that could mean a delay feeding into the statistics.

"Police officers have recorded early signs of an increase in suicides and attempted suicides during the lockdown, MPs have heard.

Sgt Simon Kempton, the operational lead for Covid-19 at the Police Federation of England and Wales, which represents tens of thousands of rank-and-file officers, said it was too early to say if there was a clear pattern.

The remote hearing by the home affairs select committee also heard that about 13% of all police officers and staff were absent due to sickness, self-isolation or caring responsibilities, and that some forms of crime – such as burglary and other acquisitive offences – had dropped since the restrictions began.

Answering questions from the Labour MP Stephen Doughty about the impact of the Covid-19 crisis on the police response to mental health callouts, Kempton said: “There are very early indications of an increase in suicide attempts and suicides – far too early to say if that’s a real trend, but there are early indications of that. Quite often the police are the agency who are trying to deal with that situation.” "

My brother's very small business applied too. Right away. He has the case # and the confirmation.

No word at all. Nothing. From the numbers it looks like there were 3113 businesses in his state that got the $10,000 and 85 got a loan.

Payroll protection program? Ha.

I also think the unemployment offices are deliberately going slowly so as to reduce the daily new unemployment claims filed.

This is going to be an awful awful rest of the year. Who is going to spend any money this summer? We have let our economy be driven by consumers and if you take away consumer spending, we have nothing.

Honestly, I don't see improvement this summer, nor this fall or winter when the second wave hits and the winter flu season starts up again.

And all those unemployed without healthcare insurance? I think we have a looming public healthcare crisis that is the tsunami right behind the second wave.

There's so much worry in the world, right now.

It took my small town a decade to recoup from the last recesssion.
Beginning of this year there were lots of new businesses, coffee and sandwich shops for the uni students, and the down town area was being well maintained.

Now it's a ghost town.

There's so much worry in the world, right now.

It took my small town a decade to recoup from the last recesssion.
Beginning of this year there were lots of new businesses, coffee and sandwich shops for the uni students, and the down town area was being well maintained.

Now it's a ghost town.

Last two weeks, up and down Main street in Bozeman, MT, there have been lots of moving trucks. Small businesses are folding left and right. In what used to be a busy, touristy area. It is really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member