Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wrap my celery in foil. It really works. I know putting asparagus in a cup of water works too but I always seem to knock it over in the fridge and make a mess. I'll have to try the berry and banana trick.

I never knew about the celery or banana tricks and will doing those. I can vouch for asparagus and berry tricks--I do both. I use a wider based, heavier container like a glass measuring cup for asparagus so it doesn't tip over.

I always wrap my celery in foil. It really works. I know putting asparagus in a cup of water works too but I always seem to knock it over in the fridge and make a mess. I'll have to try the berry and banana trick.
The celery in foil really works - I don't use celery very often. Also, I recently started putting my iceberg lettuce (washed, torn up and salad spinner first) in mason jars after putting it in a paper towel first. It is shocking how long it lasts - the paper towel absorbs the moisture and when I remove it I save the paper towel to use for cleaning.

Earlier in this thread I wondered how farmers markets would work this summer. I'm seeing many interesting articles on how farmers and farmers markets are adapting. Many farms that used to supply to restaurants have started repackaging and selling their product direct to consumers in order to stay afloat. Farmers markets are changing to a drive-thru pick up model where you either order in advance by phone or internet, or you drive up, tell them what you need and they load the boxes directly into your car. No contact and you don't get out of your car. Many more farms are doing a CSA share model for the first time ever. So if you have never seen that in your area before, check again.

My local farm that I have bought CSA from in the past changed their approach this year. They still offered their normal season long CSA shares (which sold out before I had a chance to decide if I wanted one) but they also started to list weekly online what they have extra of for sale. Normally they would take these extras to the farmers markets. Customers who didn't get a CSA share can order from the extras just for that week as if they had gone to the farm's stand at the farmers market and picked out the extra veggies available. They have also changed their pick up model-- we used to go to a parking lot and line up behind their box truck while they passed out the shares and we had to sign next to our names with a shared pen on a clipboard. Now we order what we want online and we can choose to either pick up at the farm or another location that has more room to let customers stay in their cars for contact free loading. No more signature/no shared clipboard/pen.

My area went from having only one CSA option near me to suddenly having several farms selling online with a pick up option. Also, some places that used to do U-Pick options at the farm/orchard are also beginning to offer online ordering and pick-up instead. So if you used to go pick berries or apples or anything else in your area, check the website. You might be pleasantly surprised. I'm so happy about this and I hope the farms and orchards can keep afloat. I'm going to order weekly from my CSA farm and also buy from one new farm online each week, in order to support my local agriculture. I might not even go to the grocery store next week.

Here are some of the articles on how farms and farmers markets across the country are adapting:

Drive-thrus, pre-orders and deliveries: local farmers markets, farmers, adapt to coronavirus

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article242171781.html

Hamilton County farmers markets are reopening. Here's how they are changing.

Taking Orders: NM farmers markets adapt to stay open

Summertown farm finds new opportunities amid virus

Shop Bossier Farmers Market without leaving your vehicle

With the uncertain future of farmers markets, many farms have turned to online sales

DH and I just returned from our weekly shopping "date" for food at Nino Salvaggio's. Store very busy - difficult to maintain proper social distancing. We got everything on my very thorough list and won't need food for a while. We splurged on a whole beef tenderloin that was among this week's specials. We have it cut and wrapped in packages of two for the freezer, and I use the ground trimmings in chili, Bolognese, or another dish with ground meat. DH grills the beef tenderloins, and they are every bit as good as Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. We're having sockeye salmon tonight, and we also got orange roughy and mahi mahi (great for fish tacos).

There was a man in Nino's wearing a mask that looked like my brothers' hockey "cups" :oops: I could hardly keep from laughing out loud :D

Last edited:
Just got my Instacart delivery from an order I placed 2 weeks ago. Even though I updated, I'm still out of some important stuff, like aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc. Stores are still out of so many things like basic sliced cheese, deli meats, etc. Looks like I'll have to go to the store in person again. Instacart just isn't working out for me. Too many items that aren't in stock (at the last minute) and very long wait time (2 weeks). Even adding a $20 tip didn't help.

Just got my Instacart delivery from an order I placed 2 weeks ago. Even though I updated, I'm still out of some important stuff, like aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc. Stores are still out of so many things like basic sliced cheese, deli meats, etc. Looks like I'll have to go to the store in person again. Instacart just isn't working out for me. Too many items that aren't in stock (at the last minute) and very long wait time (2 weeks). Even adding a $20 tip didn't help.
I gave up on instacart for those reasons. I had been ordering from them to try and keep my daughter from going out for us. But I'd wait for 2 weeks for the order, and not find out until they drop off that key, important items were not included.

So even after paying a higher price for the groceries I did get, I'd still have to send my daughter out anyway to get milk, eggs and bread, etc. So I gave up on instacart in the end.

We have never prepped before this. We really didn’t know how much food would last two weeks. We ended up having enough for over a month. But our pantry is small. So I think I’m going to slowly start prepping again and use one of the spare bedrooms for the paper products and stuff like that. Maybe for extra boxes of cereal and crackers, too. I didn’t actually have enough of my cereal so I need to be sure that happens. I need to find decent soy milk with a long shelf life. I don’t want to have to depend on shipping for basics like that. We could have survived without leaving for a month. But I’d like to be able to survive more comfortably next time around. I know I didn’t get enough espresso to last more than a month!

And I need to make sure my parents are more prepared, too. I think my mom was only prepared for two weeks. She believed me and did prepare, but there was a lot she didn’t consider until it happened. My parents’ lack of prep was the only reason I had to leave isolation at all.

I'm worried that we still don't have some supplies restocked and we might have a second wave before they are restocked.

ETA: how do we prepare when we can't get the essentials?

Alberta is giving all supplies to Toronto and Quebec with the caveat that in 3 weeks, when Alberta might need those supplies, they will be returned.

That seems a bit absurd. If they are still needed in Eastern Canada, people can't have the ventilators taken away. Hopefully Ontario will be done with the medical equipment before Alberta needs it.

Second wave isn't supposed to happen until the Fall. What you are seeing now in the Spring would be the first wave. On June 21, we'll go into Summer wave, which we hope means reduced transmission.

Supplies - buy beef

Alberta is giving all supplies to Toronto and Quebec with the caveat that in 3 weeks, when Alberta might need those supplies, they will be returned.

That seems a bit absurd. If they are still needed in Eastern Canada, people can't have the ventilators taken away. Hopefully Ontario will be done with the medical equipment before Alberta needs it.

Second wave isn't supposed to happen until the Fall. What you are seeing now in the Spring would be the first wave. On June 21, we'll go into Summer wave, which we hope means reduced transmission.

Supplies - buy beef

we don't eat meat or dairy so we're good that way
still getting a freezer to meal prep and store extra bread etc.
I think the expectation to send supplies back in three weeks is unrealistic

We have never prepped before this. We really didn’t know how much food would last two weeks. We ended up having enough for over a month. But our pantry is small. So I think I’m going to slowly start prepping again and use one of the spare bedrooms for the paper products and stuff like that. Maybe for extra boxes of cereal and crackers, too. I didn’t actually have enough of my cereal so I need to be sure that happens. I need to find decent soy milk with a long shelf life. I don’t want to have to depend on shipping for basics like that. We could have survived without leaving for a month. But I’d like to be able to survive more comfortably next time around. I know I didn’t get enough espresso to last more than a month!

And I need to make sure my parents are more prepared, too. I think my mom was only prepared for two weeks. She believed me and did prepare, but there was a lot she didn’t consider until it happened. My parents’ lack of prep was the only reason I had to leave isolation at all.
Its funny the things that bother you most. Thanks to WS I did a good prep shop on 13 March. My family rolled their eyes and thought I was daft. On 20 March I became ill with the virus and we began self isolating. Towards the end of their isolation period and when I was getting better myself we ran out of milk. I was so miserable not to have my morning coffee! Really regretted not having any kind of sub to use. First thing on my list was milk!

Its funny the things that bother you most. Thanks to WS I did a good prep shop on 13 March. My family rolled their eyes and thought I was daft. On 20 March I became ill with the virus and we began self isolating. Towards the end of their isolation period and when I was getting better myself we ran out of milk. I was so miserable not to have my morning coffee! Really regretted not having any kind of sub to use. First thing on my list was milk!

Are you feel much better now? I hope so. Was it awful or mild? I hadn't seen you around now that I think about it. I wish I could get some milk over to you. Yes, coffee with milk is a must have for me. Gee, you deserve milk in your coffee after surviving Covid. You take good care of yourself.

As a restaurant, I can tell you that our meat prices have already gone up 33%.
Additionally, we are not able to get our normal brands of food we've usually ordered for years in end.
It's been a crazy week of our Chef ordering what she normally orders, with substitutionS
So, she gets mad, tells the delivery driver to return it... Then we find out, it's a game of take it or leave it, because there is no substitute!
One small example, she's used to 10 inch wide lasagna noodles. They delivered 7 inch wide lasagna noodles. She went them back. We then found out, that's the only lasagna noodles available period.
My poor husband has had to chase down these delivery drivers all week begging them to come back.
It's absolutely nutso.
I'm exhausted.
Be Well...everyone. Good Night.

I think food/grocery stores and medicine/pharmacies are essential services and will continue to be prioritized to continue. If the meat packing plants are required to protect their workers from the virus, I think the price of meat might rise. Kinda of like during wartime, people didn't eat as much fresh meat. There might be requirements that US drug factories 'retool' to produce high demand drugs, same as car companies are producing ventilators.

I think every decision to reopen a sector should be on a priority basis. This is what people do in any challenging situaton: decide on your priorities and put your energy there. Food and medicine yes, rock concerts, no.

Or they're unable to furnish any toilet paper. :)
I bought a large package of Pandemic toilet paper to have enough on hand. Gave two rolls to my neighbor. Started using it this week, and I hate it. It's so thin you'd swear it's made out of butterfly wings.

It was surprisingly cheap, and now I know why. My son ordered and will install two bidets and I wonder how his family will like them.

After TMI, let me say Good Night:)

I always have long life milk as a back up as my fresh milk never lasts between shopping trips. Also having dried milk or creamer like coffeemate helps. You may have already mentioned it but do you know where you caught it?

As a restaurant, I can tell you that our meat prices have already gone up 33%.
Additionally, we are not able to get our normal brands of food we've usually ordered for years in end.
It's been a crazy week of our Chef ordering what she normally orders, with substitutionS
So, she gets mad, tells the delivery driver to return it... Then we find out, it's a game of take it or leave it, because there is no substitute!
One small example, she's used to 10 inch wide lasagna noodles. They delivered 7 inch wide lasagna noodles. She went them back. We then found out, that's the only lasagna noodles available period.
My poor husband has had to chase down these delivery drivers all week begging them to come back.
It's absolutely nutso.
I'm exhausted.
Be Well...everyone. Good Night.

He get a pasta maker maybe? Smaller pans?

I'm curious on everyone's opinion. How many do you know, who are prepared for and expecting a second wave? Is this going to be exactly like the first wave or will it be better/worse...in your opinion?

I personally haven't heard from anyone prepping for a second wave.

I want an upright freezer with some stuff in it before a second wave.

Maybe some jigsaw puzzles.

I honestly think a second wave might be easier. We kind of know what to expect.

The entire world needs to figure out how to deal with nursing homes to protect them. And the entire world needs to figure out how to protect the vulnerable without locking up the whole population.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member