Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally haven't heard from anyone prepping for a second wave.

I want an upright freezer with some stuff in it before a second wave.

Maybe some jigsaw puzzles.

I honestly think a second wave might be easier. We kind of know what to expect.

The entire world needs to figure out how to deal with nursing homes to protect them. And the entire world needs to figure out how to protect the vulnerable without locking up the whole population.

Jmo
I too think the second wave will be easier. We know what to expect and will be much more prepared IMO. If those infected who survived the first round have immunity there will be less vulnerable to infection during the second wave.

A suggestion for those buying a freezer. Automatic defrost is easier to maintain but freezer burn happens much faster verses manual defrost. Keeping the freezer full helps cut back on the frost. When my freezers start getting empty sections I fill them with containers of water. Reduces frost build up, freezers run less often and stays frozen longer during power outages. Another tip if you have the space. Our two smaller freezers verses one large one, use less electricity and if one dies, you'll only lose half of your food instead of all of it.

Someone (@10ofRods ?) asked earlier about whether we thought there would be a second wave and what we’re doing to prepare. Yes, I’m sure there will be a second wave. I think it will arrive in my town in Southern Oregon starting in mid-to-late September, with illness starting a week or two later.

If our local theatre festival re-opens as planned in September, drawing visitors from many states (if they come), and the university students also come back, this will certainly increase the risk. As suggested last fall by the pharmacist, who told me the students bring flu with them, I will be getting my flu shot in September, earlier than my usual early November. If possible, I will see my doctors, get injections in my joints, and other routine maintenance this summer so I can hunker down again in the fall. But I don’t plan to be out and about much when Oregon opens up. Maybe a haircut and pedi, but I’m not sure. I can whack away at my own hair and skip my purple pedi if necessary. :D

I’ve checked with local friends who grow a huge garden and raise pigs and beef and they are willing to let us buy what we need (knowing them, they’ll want to give it to us, but this is income for them). They suggested also growing veggies on our huge south-facing deck, but my husband really doesn’t want to do that much work with a touchy back (planting and watering). I don’t blame him. Been there, done that in the ‘70’s and got the t-shirt! That included milk goats and chickens too. Back to the land and all that. So I will stock up on canned and frozen veggies, and add to my rice, bean and pasta supply.

I looked into small freezers, but it would have to live on the very hot deck that gets below freezing in the winter. Our apartment garage wouldn’t work. I’m eyeing the “office.” I think I could snuggle a small one in between the desk and the treadmill. Where there’s a will...but would it make the room hot?

So far, that’s my plan. I’m open to comments and suggestions. :)

I've always had a small chest freezer in small places. Once I put it behind the sofa with a table cloth over it and a plant on top. Now I'm doing the same thing in my office. I never noticed it threw off much, if any heat.

Another good point is you do not have to defrost in the regular way. Simply shut it off after emptying it, get some bath towels and a big basin. Put the towels in while defrosting, with the lid up, and they will sop up the water. Put the towels in the basin, dry the freezer interior and you're good to go again.

I've always had a small chest freezer in small places. Once I put it behind the sofa with a table cloth over it and a plant on top. Now I'm doing the same thing in my office. I never noticed it threw off much, if any heat.

Another good point is you do not have to defrost in the regular way. Simply shut it off after emptying it, get some bath towels and a big basin. Put the towels in while defrosting, with the lid up, and they will sop up the water. Put the towels in the basin, dry the freezer interior and you're good to go again.
I had an upright automatic defrost in my office. It was always the coolest room in the house until we got that freezer. It was always hotter with the freezer. Uncomfortably hot even with the AC running. Now I have two manual defrost chest freezers and last summer my office stayed cool all summer. It really does make a difference IMO.

I had an upright automatic defrost in my office. It was always the coolest room in the house until we got that freezer. It was always hotter with the freezer. Uncomfortably hot even with the AC running. Now I have two manual defrost chest freezers and last summer my office stayed cool all summer. It really does make a difference IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips, I really don't know where to start. I like your suggestion about having two chest freezers. We can start with one, and see if we really need a second one. In a few years, when we downsize, if we only need one chest freezer, we can give the other one to someone else who needs it. I think we will go with the manual defrost so that a small room doesn't get too hot.

So, I put on some “normal clothes” for the first time since I’ve been in lockdown, which is around two months I think. I’ve only been wearing comfie house clothes, PJs and sweats. Well, they are literally falling down I’ve dropped so much weight from loss of appetite and rationing. Maybe 10-20 lbs? Who knew rationing is really portion control haha. Anyway this is HUGE for me because my fibromyalgia medication causes excessive appetite and weight gain, as it’s also prescribed for anorexia lol. I have to work really hard against the medication just to maintain.

The problem now is I’m still not that motivated to exercise at home, but I’m really working on that because I don’t want my muscle mass to deteriorate, and to develop stiffness, lack of flexibility, pain, etc.

Basically I forbid myself to order fattening food or I’ll just sit around and eat it, plus it just doesn’t last. I focused on ordering nutrition based ingredients for meals and that has turned out well.

Last edited:
So, I put on some “normal clothes” for the first time since I’ve been in lockdown, which is around two months I think. I’ve only been wearing comfie house clothes and sweats. Well, they are literally falling down I’ve dropped so much weight from loss of appetite and rationing. Who knew rationing is really portion control haha. Anyway this is HUGE for me because my fibromyalgia medication causes excessive weight gain, as it’s also prescribed for anorexia lol.

The problem now is I’m still not that motivated to exercise at home, but I’m really working on that because I don’t want muscle mass to deteriorate, and to develop stiffness, lack of flexibility, pain, etc.

Basically I forbid myself to order fattening food or I’ll just sit around and eat it, plus it just doesn’t last. I focused on ordering nutrition based meals and that has turned out well.
Lucky you. I wasn't rationing anything because I had amazon prime delivering my food. I am going to have an opposite problem. Might be time to order some new bigger clothes from amazon. LOL.

Lucky you. I wasn't rationing anything because I had amazon prime delivering my food. I am going to have an opposite problem. Might be time to order some new bigger clothes from amazon. LOL.

Well all I can say is that all this is depressing enough as it is without gaining a bunch of weight on top of everything. We have a choice here to at least try. It’s hard not to let everything go to the dogs right now but I hope I can inspire or encourage people to really try to not lose total control. Yes we all need our treats, but unless you’re exercising at home this is a bad recipe and the last thing we need is to add more illnesses to ourselves. I have a huge tendency to emotional eat, ice cream specifically, so knowing this I’m not even buying the stuff. If it’s not in the house, I can’t eat it. It also gives me a sense of control, one element which we are all lacking right now. :)

So quit ordering so much flour, sugar and junk people!!!! :D You don’t want to be rolling out of your house when this is all over with. Or have increased blood pressure, diabetes, etc. If I can do it, you can do it. :)

Just some friendly advice to my peeps because I know many are struggling with this. To me it comes down to just not ordering or buying the stuff because if it’s here I have zero control. I have found many alternatives, almond flour, fruit, etc.

ETA: We all know weed also gives you the munchies :)

Last edited:
I always have long life milk as a back up as my fresh milk never lasts between shopping trips. Also having dried milk or creamer like coffeemate helps. You may have already mentioned it but do you know where you caught it?
My guess is at work. Big retail store in Milton Keynes. Lots of customers, sharing loos. I was v careful with handwashing etc tho. Then we had crisis talks as closure was obvs approaching. Most of us who had it were in those meetings. Social distancing had just begun so we were widely spaced in an open room. But somehow it got amongst us.

ETA also Mr HKP works in London and commutes by train. We believe he had it at the end of Feb now, looking back at a "flu" he had. I always knew with our jobs we were v likely to get it

Basically I forbid myself to order fattening food or I’ll just sit around and eat it, plus it just doesn’t last. I focused on ordering nutrition based ingredients for meals and that has turned out well.

Wowsers! Good for you! I am eating healthier too. Because I have to order groceries online and pick them up curbside, I simply don't order things from the candy/cookie aisle, things that just fell into my shopping cart in my previous life. ;)

Wowsers! Good for you! I am eating healthier too. Because I have to order groceries online and pick them up curbside, I simply don't order things from the candy/cookie aisle, things that just fell into my shopping cart in my previous life. ;)

Yes I really want to help encourage and positively motivate others to do this. :) You can do it! :) Just don’t buy the stuff! Moo

Its funny the things that bother you most. Thanks to WS I did a good prep shop on 13 March. My family rolled their eyes and thought I was daft. On 20 March I became ill with the virus and we began self isolating. Towards the end of their isolation period and when I was getting better myself we ran out of milk. I was so miserable not to have my morning coffee! Really regretted not having any kind of sub to use. First thing on my list was milk!

I did my pandemic shopping in February, and my receipt was 3 ft long and I took a photo of how long it was against a yardstick. I think I have enough food to last me another 4 months. ( the one thing I neglected to pandemic shop for was cigarettes and wine, neighbors are helping me with that)

That did not even include the other stores that I went to, such as to get my ultra high temperature shelf-stable milk at the Dollar Tree as someone had suggested. I bought quite a bit of snacks and other stuff at the Dollar Tree.
Screenshot_20200425-100723_Gallery.jpg

I did my pandemic shopping in February, and my receipt was 3 ft long and I took a photo of how long it was against a yardstick. I think I have enough food to last me another 4 months. ( the one thing I neglected to pandemic shop for was cigarettes and wine, neighbors are helping me with that)

That did not even include the other stores that I went to, such as to get my ultra high temperature shelf-stable milk at the Dollar Tree as someone had suggested. I bought quite a bit of snacks and other stuff at the Dollar Tree.
View attachment 244412

I remember this, your bill was like $472 or almost $500 right?

I remember this, your bill was like $472 or almost $500 right?

You are correct, and that was just at the grocer that I did my pandemic shopping for just little ol' me , and not the other two stores that I went to that day.

O/T - Are you my college dorm room mate from college? ha! She was stoned 24 hours a day... yet she was magna *advertiser censored* lade at the University in nuclear engineering and never cracked a book to study... she was a true genius, with a memory that was like no other. Me, that is when/how I learned to say NO to pot as I couldn't function, retain knowledge AT ALL when high lol. Every one is different! Also, you lost so much weight with munchies. We ALL wanna know the secret of your mind and success!

You are correct, and that was just at the grocer that I did my pandemic shopping for just little ol' me , and not the other two stores that I went to that day.

O/T - Are you my college dorm room mate from college? ha! She was stoned 24 hours a day... yet she was magna *advertiser censored* lade at the University in nuclear engineering and never cracked a book to study... she was a true genius, with a memory that was like no other. Me, that is when/how I learned to say NO to pot as I couldn't function, retain knowledge AT ALL when high lol. Every one is different! Also, you lost so much weight with munchies. We ALL wanna know the secret of your mind and success!

Aww, that’s sweet, Dixie. :)

There are so many smart folks here and I appreciate so much the discussions.

Re: intelligence, a wise man (or woman) knows he’s a fool and a fool thinks he’s wise. :)

I tried instacart through Publix. Publix is out of things I need that I know where to get elsewhere. So it's just easier to mask up once a week and make three stops and find all I need. Cheaper too.
That’s what my kid does. Plans out her stops, gets as much as she can find at 3-4 stores. Yesterday, it was pouring buckets all day here in SWFL. She suited up, took my truck because the streets were flooded and said, surely nobody is out in this mess!

I ordered some things from Amazon, and the only items that arrived within a few days were some shoes, so I'm guessing that clothing items fall within "essential" for quick(er) Amazon delivery. I have to wait a few weeks for a phone case needed for my new phone, LOL.

I received an email message from Kroger's grocery store CEO today, saying that starting this Sunday (April 26), it will be mandatory for all associates to wear face masks, even at stores where up until now it hasn't been required. Kroger will provide the face masks, or associates are allowed to wear their own home made masks or other, if they prefer. He noted that for associates who have medical issues that preclude the wearing of face masks, Kroger's will provide face shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie