Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #51

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to why let criminals out rather than remove the prisoners who have the coronavirus? Certainly, that would be safer and easier in the long run. jmo
People are contagious before they show symptoms, so living in close quarters means it'll spread everywhere, they'll have to send some to hospitals, find other ways to quarantine sick ones, means lots of extra guards to ensure the bad ones don't escape, etc.

By releasing those without serious charges, who are due to be released soon anyway, they can make space to implement social distancing, especially ensure each prisoner has their own cell, sits apart from others in dining hall, etc. No.extra guards or spaces needed.

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
1 in 57 people in New York City have tested positive for coronavirus,
1 in 221 people in New York City have been hospitalized for coronavirus,
and 1 in 530 people in New York City have died from coronavirus, according to data from the city and the US Census Bureau.
6:27 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
CNN: 51,000 people in the United States have died from coronavirus.
9:19 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
In order to be on track for ~68,000 US coronavirus deaths in the latest University of Washington model cited by the White House, the model would expect 50,109 total US deaths as of today. The current death count is 51,017.
9:22 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus cases:
Feb. 24: 53 cases
Mar. 24: 52,976 cases
Apr. 24: 890,524 cases
10:56 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus deaths:
Feb. 24: 0 deaths
Mar. 24: 704 deaths
Apr. 24: 51,017 deaths
10:57 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus deaths:
8 weeks ago: 0 deaths
7 weeks ago: 17 deaths
6 weeks ago: 49 deaths
5 weeks ago: 249 deaths
4 weeks ago: 1,588 deaths
3 weeks ago: 7,152 deaths
2 weeks ago: 18,758 deaths
1 week ago: 37,054 deaths
Right now: 51,017 deaths
11:01 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
Reported US coronavirus cases:
8 weeks ago: 64 cases
7 weeks ago: 332 cases
6 weeks ago: 2,204 cases
5 weeks ago: 18,763 cases
4 weeks ago: 101,242 cases
3 weeks ago: 277,953 cases
2 weeks ago: 501,301 cases
1 weeks ago: 701,475 cases
Right now: 890,524 cases
11:04 PM - 24 Apr 2020

Ryan Struyk on Twitter
April US coronavirus deaths
4/1 4780
4/2 5983
4/3 7152
4/4 8496
4/5 9643
4/6 10986
4/7 12895
4/8 14817
4/9 16684
4/10 18758
4/11 20604
4/12 22079
4/13 23649
4/14 26033
4/15 30844
4/16 33268
4/17 37054
4/18 38903
4/19 40677
4/20 42308
4/21 45039
4/22 46688
4/23 49887
4/24 51017
11:05 PM - 24 Apr 2020

March 18/19 is when my son was flown out of Australia to Canada. He scheduled a trip out of Melbourne on March 17 because restaurants closed, even though it wasn't official until a few days later.

Borders were closed long before there were a million cases and 50,000 deaths South of the border. Hopefully Canada will not give in to the idea that everyone should get sick.

I expect that there will be some Canadians shaking their fists at the need to stay at home, but we have some decent leadership which helps keep the focus in the right place. I really appreciate the fact that the provinces are working with the feds as a single voice, no matter what their political parties may be.The partisan stuff has largely been set aside for the greater good. For that I respect our party leaders, even Doug Ford.

A reminder to us all, I guess, not to get too comfortable, here is Singapore’s “second wave”:

Singapore thought they were beating coronavirus. But they had a blind spot

I’m feeling so optimistic where I am, I really need to remember to be vigilant. (Not that I’m going anywhere except work and home).

Also just for interests sake, Singapore is super hot and humid all year round, being on the equator.

Just a thought-- I mentioned being afraid that maybe vacuum cleaners could spread the virus. I just heard about some study speculating that it's possible the Covid virus can live and be spread up to 100 feet by microscopic particles. Wouldn't some air fans and vacuum cleaners blow those particles around? We weren't born to worry and clean so much!
But if your vacuum has a hepa filter, it ought to catch it - I hope.

Edited to fix stupid autocorrect

My vacuum is at least 20 years old and I bought it for the addition of a hepa filter that was the latest research. (I think all vacuums have hepa today). I think the application here is the same for COVID-19.

This discussion started when I heard about a study speculating that it's possible the Covid virus can live and be spread up to 100 feet by microscopic particles.

Bringing this up as I imagine us all out again and the various people like shop owners, office people, janitorial staff, etc., we will rely on to clean the environments we enter, shop, eat, or work in.

You may ask why I even brought it up because I don't even own a vacuum cleaner. :eek: I have hardwood floors. :)

I do have an air conditioner, a box fan and a small desk fan that might blow the virus microscopic particles around. What do you think?

I know there's people who like to fix up the older than 20 yr. old vacuum cleaners with no hepa filters. Plus I don't think all hepa filters have the same true hepa performance. (The article below says don't use a hepa filter as a face mask.) Also some people use shop vacs. :oops: Gosh, what about leaf blowers?!! Something to think or worry about.

Check out the video on how to make a face shield out of a soda bottle. Neat!
From scarves to HEPA filters, what kind of face covering is your best bet against coronavirus?

I'm not sure if anyone else answered your question already, but in case they didn't, Canadian employers who lost 30% or more of their income from the same period last year, can apply for 75% of their employee wages, provided they continue to pay their employees their full wages. Employers also get 10% reduction on their employer remittance. It makes it economically possible to continue to keep their employees on the payroll.

There are also rent reductions, and other supports for businesses.

Employees who are laid off can apply for emergency relief, which is also fairly generous. There's also support for child care, and some other financial supports for families. And of course, all Canadians continue to have access to publically funded health care.

A program came out for students yesterday, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Australia has done kind of similar, firstly we already have JobSeeker for the unemployed but that’s been been doubled. Plus 2x stimulus payments of $750.

And then they introduced JobKeeper which means any business that has lost 30% of revenue can apply and keep paying employees- except it’s a flat rate of $1500 a fortnight. That’s whether the person is still working or not (employer would top up the rest if employee is still working).

The same idea applies, keep people on the books, employed and engaged with their employer so they have a job to go back to and businesses can survive. There’s a range of other measures to help businesses stay afloat too, like tax and license relief etc

Dr. Dena Grayson is a medical doctor, scientist, and expert on deadly pandemics

April 21

-Researchers did not track side effects, but "noted hints that #hydroxychloroquine might have damaged other organs." The drug is known to have potentially FATAL side effects, including altering the heartbeat in a way that could lead to sudden cardiac death.

-Both #chloroquine and #hydroxychloroquine can alter the heart’s normal rhythm, leading to FATAL cardiac arrest.

-Co-administration with #azithromycin (“Z pack”) can INCREASE the risk for this fatal side effect
Hydroxychloroquine(plaquenil) can prolong the QT interval (heart rhythm) and can cause a FATAL arrhythmia. Azithromycin can also prolong the QT interval, so use of these 2 drugs together should ONLY be done under the supervision of a doctor.

ETqF07GXgAU7WmY

FDA Issues Chloroquine/Hydroxychloroquine Safety Notice
April 24

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a drug safety communication cautioning against the use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outside of hospital and clinical trial settings. In particular, authors of the statement highlighted the risk for heart rhythm problems.

The safety communication addresses consumers, patients, infectious disease clinicians, and other health care workers in order to raise concerns of inappropriate use of these medications. The statement outlines a distinction between the widespread use of these medications and the scope of use allowed for by the FDA’s Emergency Use Authorizations for them.

Two paragraphs from study in France

"COVID-19 pneumonia progression in the second week of illness is associated with a so-called “cytokine storm”,17,22 which is thought to be responsible for the clinical worsening of many patients. Most of the patients included in this study had an inflammatory syndrome defined by C-reactive-protein higher than 40 mg/l, which suggests that a cytokine storm syndrome had already begun.23 Drugs decreasing virus shedding may therefore be inadequate at this stage; this is why many anti-inflammatory drugs are currently being tested, such as tocilizumab, corticosteroids, and others. Despite the immunomodulatory properties of HCQ, which include regulation of the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-2, IL-1, IL-6 and TNFα, 24 and endosomal inhibition of toll-like receptors, which play a major role in innate immune response,25 this treatment showed no effectiveness in this specific population.

Finally, HCQ blocks the KCNH2-encoded hERG/Kv11.1 potassium channel and can potentially prolong the QTc, with potential severe consequences such as sudden cardiac death and cardiac arrhythmia.26 Besides QTc prolongations, we observed 2 other significant cardiologic events in this study, and the French national drug agency has reported 3 deaths potentially related to HCQ since its promotion to the public as a potential treatment for COVID-19. Although HCQ was considered safe in the context of SLE, these adverse events may be explained by the use of high-dose HCQ in elderly patients with renal impairment and frequent drug interactions. Accordingly, the negative clinical results of this study argue against the widespread use of HCQ in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia. Our study has several limitations."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.10.20060699v1.full.pdf

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/fda-issues-

chloroquinehydroxychloroquine-safety-notice

Dr. Dena Grayson on Twitter

Dr. Dena Grayson (@DrDenaGrayson) | Twitter

Make no mistake about it, Covid was in California in February. This woman, age 57, died February 6th. (As usual, good pics from Daily Mail.)

"... she was a frequent traveler but had not been anywhere before her death."

"Her co-workers at Lam Research also traveled frequently."

Coronavirus US: First death was California woman in FEBRUARY | Daily Mail Online

"Dowd worked as a manager for a semiconductor company. On the day of her death, she was working from home and had corresponded with a colleague at around 8am."

"Her daughter found her dead two hours later."

ETA-- Man 69 died in California 2/17.
ETA-- Man in 50s died in WA 2/29.
BBM

Last edited:
Update: Saving Farmers Crops and Milk Waste

Friends came together to get free food across the US from farmers to those in need. John Botti said he saw milk and produce being trashed by farmers due to the pandemic crisis and felt pushed to take action, so he called his friends

A truck carrying 43,000 pounds of potatoes from a farm in Idaho is now bound for the Bronx, New York, to help families in need, thanks to the quick-thinking efforts of a team of friends.

John Botti of Westchester, New York, told ABC News on Thursday that he'd been watching "World News Tonight" on April 14 when he heard that farmers across the U.S. were pouring milk down the drain and watching vegetables rot in the fields -- a side effect of the COVID-19 pandemic gripping the world.

"I said, 'This is wrong. We need to do something,'" said Botti, a money manager.

He decided to call a few friends the next day and eventually the idea of Farms to Food Banks was born: They would send semi-trailers to the nation's farms and bring back free food to people in need.

"I saw the stark juxtaposition of American farmers having their vegetable crops go to waste due to supply chain disruption and economic collapse, while other Americans are on the brink of starvation due to food banks being overwhelmed and undersupplied," he posted on LinkedIn on April 20.

"Our home state of New York and the boroughs of New York City have disproportionately borne the economic, health, and social welfare brunt of COVID-19. Many New Yorkers are very sick, out of work, have depleted their savings, and are in dire need of feeding their families to survive. ... This is a problem that we can help solve together, right now. And I invite you to help."

"Within the next 48 hours, a group of my friends will have mobilized a bootstrapped effort to transport food from farmers to food banks in the NY area. This amazing group has been creative and resourceful and is making an immediate difference," he continued in the post.

Botti was linked to cabbage farmers, potato farmers and even a woman in Mississippi with rice. By Saturday, his group had grown by a dozen more friends. They agreed to not only take the food from the farms that were going to be trashed, but to also raise money to buy the food from farmers like Ryan Cranney in Idaho.

"His generous offer of 2 million free potatoes had already been picked up by many deserving food banks and individuals out West. We were a day too late. But nonetheless, we purchased a full trailer load of 43,000 pounds of pre-washed and boxed potatoes from Cranney Farms in Idaho at wholesale pricing," Botti said in the social media post about Farms to Food Banks.

The first shipment of food -- potatoes from the Cranney Farms -- is being driven by Army veteran Dave Lemon and due to arrive to the South Bronx on Saturday. Botti said the food was heading to the East Side House Settlement in the Bronx.

Lemon, the truck driver, told ABC News that being chosen by his company to deliver the food to New York was important to him. "This is the only way I know how to help in this time of need, when it is truly important to help each other," he said.

Later, on Thursday, Botti told ABC News that the group had received an additional 571 donations, totaling $25,000, since "World News Tonight" had reported on its efforts. He said the group planned to buy more food to be picked up and delivered on Friday.

"This gives other people hope that as humanity, we can come together and we can come up with solutions and make a difference," Botti said. "We're lighting candles in the darkness right now."

cranney-potato-farm-ap-jef-200423_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

foodtruck-02-abc-ef-200423.jpg_hpEmbed_4x3_992.jpg

World News Tonight on Twitter

Friends come together to get free food across US from farms to those in need

we'll be calling our good friends in New Jersey tomorrow to get their take on this. Hubby grew up in New Jersey.
So far, we think, it's the work commuters, taking mass transit to New York, but we want to hear what they think.

As of April 24, there were 102,196 reported cases in the state, including 3,047 additional cases disclosed Friday.

New Jersey has completed a total of 185,329 tests with 44.1% of the tests coming back positive as of Friday.

Long-term care facilities continue to be a concern across the state. There are 14,579 reported COVID-19 cases at 452 long-term care facilities across the state.

There have been 5,617 deaths related to coronavirus in New Jersey, with 1,652 confirmed and 1,044 suspected in long-term care facilities. Officials reported 253 new deaths Friday.

The racial breakdown of those who have died in New Jersey is: 49.3% white, 22% black, 17.2% Hispanic, 5.4% Asian and 6.1% classified as other.

NJ coronavirus update: Deaths rise to 5,617 Friday as statewide cases surpass 100,000

we'll be calling our good friends in New Jersey tomorrow to get their take on this. Hubby grew up in New Jersey.
So far, we think, it's the work commuters, taking mass transit to New York, but we want to hear what they think.
Here's some details of the cases and deaths by county.

Department of Health | Communicable Disease Service | New Jersey COVID-19 Dashboard

It seems that half of the deaths were in care homes. I am hearing this as a common theme now.

State reports jump in coronavirus cases, deaths at N.J.'s long-term care facilities

Last edited:
San Diego is to re -open beaches on Monday at midnight!
Yay!
But it's been hotter than blazes today, news was reporting that beaches here were already packed.
same hot temperatures on call for tomorrow and Sunday. I anticipate the beaches will be packed the next two days as well, quarantine or no quarantine.
For me, I'm heading down to my 42 year old sailboat in Monday when it's supposed to cool down 10 degrees or so.
I can do research and phone calls from the boat.
P.S. In anticipation of this trip, I went out for veggies, fruits and dog food today to take care of hubby and doggies while I'm gone.
While in the grocery store I was hit with a major case of, I need to go to the bathroom now!
I asked worker for a key to the bathroom, she told me, the bathroom is Closed! All- public bathrooms are Closed.
I did not know that!!!
So, that ended my shopping, I quickly checked out and made it to my house in 5 minutes and saved the day. Whew, I'm pretty well known in town, I'd rather a social disaster like that, not end up on our local Facebook pages.
So, a word to the wise, if your area has this same lockdown requirements!!! Sheesh!!!

Last edited:
San Diego is to re -open beaches on Monday at midnight!
Yay!
But it's been hotter than blazes today, news was reporting that beaches here were already packed.
same hot temperatures on call for tomorrow and Sunday. I anticipate the beaches will be packed the next two days as well, quarantine or no quarantine.
For me, I'm heading down to my 42 year old sailboat in Monday when it's supposed to cool down 10 degrees or so.
I can do research and phone calls from the boat.
P.S. In anticipation of this trip, I went out for veggies, fruits and dog food today to take care of hubby and doggies while I'm gone.
While in the grocery store I was hit with a major case of, I need to go to the bathroom now!
I asked worker for a key to the bathroom, she told me, the bathroom is Closed! All- public bathrooms are Closed.
I did not know that!!!
So, that ended my shopping, I quickly checked out and made it to my house in 5 minutes and saved the day. Whew, I'm pretty well known in town, I'd rather a social disaster like that, not end up on our local Facebook pages.
So, a word to the wise, if your area has this same lockdown requirements!!! Sheesh!!!
Same where I live. I think it is designed to keep us at home more and probably nobody wants to clean them.

Thousands of Californians flock to open beaches despite Gov. Newsom's pleas for them to stay home | Daily Mail Online

Considering warmer months ahead and more scheduled activities involving large groups, how could there not be a new peak of confirmed cases...

People, please keep your guard up.

27626996-8255763-image-a-70_1587781271676.jpg

27626898-8255763-image-a-45_1587781021469.jpg

The hot weather makes it harder to tell people to stay home. Only some beaches will open, but there's these rules. You can walk on the beach, but you can't stop. May 1st is the official date everyone must wear masks if you leave the house. It's going to be bikinis and face masks.

Scorching Temps Stretch into Weekend for San Diego County

County to Require Mask-Wearing for All Starting May 1

County Clears Way for Beaches to Reopen as Soon as Monday at Cities’ Discretion

"Under the first phase, running and walking allowed at beaches, but stopping, sitting, and lying down are not. The public can surf, swim, kayak, and paddle board in the ocean and bays, but cannot boat. Boardwalks, piers, parking lots, and Fiesta Island are closed, and there are no gatherings or non-physically distant activities allowed on the sand. Boating will not be permitted at this time."

BBM

Someone (@10ofRods ?) asked earlier about whether we thought there would be a second wave and what we’re doing to prepare. Yes, I’m sure there will be a second wave. I think it will arrive in my town in Southern Oregon starting in mid-to-late September, with illness starting a week or two later.

If our local theatre festival re-opens as planned in September, drawing visitors from many states (if they come), and the university students also come back, this will certainly increase the risk. As suggested last fall by the pharmacist, who told me the students bring flu with them, I will be getting my flu shot in September, earlier than my usual early November. If possible, I will see my doctors, get injections in my joints, and other routine maintenance this summer so I can hunker down again in the fall. But I don’t plan to be out and about much when Oregon opens up. Maybe a haircut and pedi, but I’m not sure. I can whack away at my own hair and skip my purple pedi if necessary. :D

I’ve checked with local friends who grow a huge garden and raise pigs and beef and they are willing to let us buy what we need (knowing them, they’ll want to give it to us, but this is income for them). They suggested also growing veggies on our huge south-facing deck, but my husband really doesn’t want to do that much work with a touchy back (planting and watering). I don’t blame him. Been there, done that in the ‘70’s and got the t-shirt! That included milk goats and chickens too. Back to the land and all that. So I will stock up on canned and frozen veggies, and add to my rice, bean and pasta supply.

I looked into small freezers, but it would have to live on the very hot deck that gets below freezing in the winter. Our apartment garage wouldn’t work. I’m eyeing the “office.” I think I could snuggle a small one in between the desk and the treadmill. Where there’s a will...but would it make the room hot?

So far, that’s my plan. I’m open to comments and suggestions. :)

It's happening more than I would ever have thought. There's practically a war between the "mask-wearers/social distancers" and "the others." If anyone had the courage to study and interview "the others," some will be mentally ill, some will be believers that this is a hoax/caused by 5G or whatever, some are just belligerent.

Meanwhile:

US stays away as world leaders agree action on Covid-19 vaccine

Trump isolates US from world efforts to create and test CoVid-19 vaccine.

<modsnip>
So according to the article, US did not participate (meaning President Trump) but Bill Gates was there. Was he representing the US then or not? Was anyone representing UK?

I don't know if you've also asked yourself if you could have been exposed or had CV-19 much earlier and thought it was the flu or some odd symptoms.

Amid Signs Coronavirus Came Earlier, Americans Ask: Did I Already Have It?

"In January, a mystery illness swept through a call center in a skyscraper on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Close to 30 people in one department alone had symptoms — dry, deep coughs and fevers they could not shake..."

[…]

Brian Gustafson, a coroner in Rock Island County, Ill., said he had no capability to perform post-mortem coronavirus tests, but firmly believed that coronavirus deaths and illnesses were missed across the country during weeks, early this year, when the authorities believed the virus was mainly overseas.

[…]

"Deaths from January and February are also getting new scrutiny after an announcement this week in Santa Clara County, Calif., that a woman who died on Feb. 6 had been found to have the coronavirus."

A Coronavirus Death in Early February Was ‘Probably the Tip of an Iceberg’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member