Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until yesterday I've been very pleased with Governor DeWine's handling of the pandemic in Ohio. I was relieved that customers and clients were required to wear face masks as were all employees. But yesterday he caved under pressure and now only employees are mandated to wear masks. Needless to say I'm very disappointed. IMO the Ohio employees have just as much right to be protected from customers as customers have being protecting from employees. Actually I'm more than disappointed, I'm angry.

DeWine clarifies: Masks now required for Ohio employees, recommended for customers

Gov. Mike DeWine on Tuesday relaxed his order on mandatory face coverings for business customers and clients, saying that after receiving input on his decision, mask-wearing will be recommended but not required.

The governor clarified late in the day that masks will still be required for employees under most circumstances.

DeWine said he recognized that the order covering customers was off-putting to many Ohioans who saw it as “one government mandate too far,” the governor said.

“I heard from a lot of different people who felt that, ‘I may wear a mask, or I may not wear a mask, but the government should not be telling me what to do,’” DeWine said.

As of Tuesday night, the first protocol on DeWine’s online list for businesses starting to reopen said: “Require face coverings for employees and recommend them for clients/customers at all times.”

On Monday, the governor said: “No masks, no work, no service, no exception.”

Last edited:
So kids don't get a cough so don't spread it, is what they are thinking. Well, also they don't die from it hardly at all based on the data up to the age of 18. So they can hug but maybe not kiss.

If you are a vulnerable adult, I expect that one would wait for further confirmation based on solid research. I love my grandies, but their dad is a medical doctor, and I am not risking any perceived guilt that they may ascribe to themselves years from now if I should get sick.

This virus is not confined to the vulnerable and elderly. Numerous citations where the victim has been young. And, the virus can cause blood clots in younger victims. Citation below of 5 yr old:
5-year-old daughter of Detroit first responders dies after being diagnosed with coronavirus - CNN
No, the deaths are not totally confined to the elderly. But the median age in Detroit is 76 yrs. So the vast majority are on the oldest end of the spectrum.

The death of the sweet 6 yr old was devastatingly tragic. Her parents were both first reposnders, and she developed meningitis as a complication of Covid19. It was a very tragic outcome. It was statistically unusual, age wise however.

With a policeman and fire department 1st responder for parents, her chances of being exposed to the virus were greater than that of most children. Even if the public was quarantined, her parents were still going to be dispatched to calls with contagious citizens.

I don't think school was the thing that endangered this sweet child.

Are you guys turning into CV hyperchondriacs? I have decided my tale of woe starting last night and ending this morning is most likely a gift from those beef and bean burritos I ate for dinner. Whew. Jmo
LOL We are having a bit of a time with MIL. Off and on. She called and said "I cant breath" I said "Yes you can your talking normally" I dont panic at anything medical typically. After conversation it was determined her nose was stuffy. She has drainage over night. Feels fine. I reminder her of her and my seasonal allergy symptoms. I advised her when she is on her enclosed back deck to leave the door closed to keep pollen out. I reminder her smoking isn't helpful. She hates hearing that. I reminded her to use her nasal spray and puffer daily. I have to remind her there has been nobody in your house since March. We do driveway visits. Drop groceries at her door. She wipes everything down several times a day with disinfectant. Protecting herself from herself. Way too cute.

I am back to work next week with very minimal hrs. per a mutual agreement for me even to consider returning. I wont be in prolonged close contact with anyone and have to wear PPE. Due to seasonal allergies I tend to sneeze a lot this time of year. I anticipate going thru several masks with sneezing episodes.

As much as a ventilator horrifies me, if need be I'll go that route. I'm 57 with 2 grandchildren under 2 and one daughter. Of course, she's married, I have my husband. I so want to watch my grandbabies grow up.

I never thought I would be on one - and even though it was only for an hour or two, during an outpatient procedure, there I was.

I can tell you this: aside from a slightly sore throat and a small sore spot in my mouth, there was nothing to it. You don't know you're on it, you're under sedation. For most people, ventilation doesn't go on for weeks and weeks - we keep hearing about that. There is a tiny subset of people, mostly very elderly, who are experiencing CoVid effects in the brain. For those people, there's probably no coming off the ventilator.

When they bring people off the ventilator, they do that while the person is still under light sedation and make sure they're breathing on their own and then - you're awake and don't have any clue what happened or how much time passed.

My cousin had to be on a ventilator for 3 months (cancer surgery involving the upper respiratory system). He was mostly unconscious, but they had to start him on respiratory therapy to get him off, so he had the unpleasant experience of being semi-awake (groggy) during their attempts to get him off. He is such a trooper. So was his wife - and that outcome is rare for CoVid. Usually, they can get people off ventilators again in the regular way.

Fortunately, they are resorting to ventilation less and less, now that they know heparin helps and that anti-virals help too. Two months ago, I wondered if we would ever get to this small hill, to look back at how bad it was at first.

If you are a vulnerable adult, I expect that one would wait for further confirmation based on solid research. I love my grandies, but their dad is a medical doctor, and I am not risking any perceived guilt that they may ascribe to themselves years from now if I should get sick.
I agree. It is dependent on what ones government recommends but WHO are looking at it based on the Swiss stance.

I am not particularly worried about food shortages, even if they happen. I can "make do" with what would be available, even if boring and not my choice of foods. Mainly, I don't think any food shortages would be long-lasting, and we can get through a brief period of not having as much as we're used to - and Americans are used to living with abundance.

What concerns me more is the potential of hoarding. TP was not in shortage until people started grabbing and hoarding it. That selfishness bothers me way more than having to eat oatmeal for dinner.

It's one thing to responsibly build up your personal pantry and it's another to grab so that others are without.

jmo

Yes, i believe it was those covid-heavy Australians that started the toilet paper hoarding!! Shame on the magnificent well-planned Covid recovery country!

Face masks required at Costco starting Monday...

Face Covering Requirements
To protect our members and employees, effective May 4, all Costco members and guests must wear a face covering that covers their mouth and nose at all times while at Costco. This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition.

The use of a face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

https://www.costco.com/covid-updates.html

https://www.thelocal.ch/20200427/update-swiss-grandparents-can-now-hug-their-grandkids

Swiss grandparents told they 'can now hug their grandkids'
The Local
news@thelocal.ch
@thelocalswitzer
27 April 2020
16:20 CEST+02:00

Since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic in mid-March, health authorities have been advising against the “mixing of the generations”, to avoid young people contaminating older people with the virus. But now the officials have revised this recommendation.

According to Daniel Koch, the head of the infectious diseases unit at the Federal Department of Public Health (FOPH), it is no longer necessary to keep the distance between the grandparents and grandchildren.

The original recommendation was issued “when our learning curve about the transmission of coronavirus was still high”, Koch said in a press conference on Monday afternoon.

However, it has been revised because “we now know that young children don’t transmit the virus”, he added.

Once again, this man is not a researcher. He hasn't practice medicine since 2002. He's a public health representative and even his own boss doubts his statement.

The research shows that children spread CV19 at rates similar to those of adults.

Until there's more research on this very controversial topic, please take it with a huge grain of salt. There's not a single published paper to support Dr Koch nor has Switzerland any special data that prove children in Switzerland are different than children elsewhere.

Indeed, Switzerland has about the same number of deaths as California - despite having only 8.6M to California's 40M.

I'm not saying "don't hug your grandchildren," but I am saying that pretending that children can't spread CoVid is irresponsible. They can and do shed live virus, but perhaps for a shorter period - data are not in. The data that are in show that yes, kids can transmit.

Social media postings tipped off Worcester officials to COVID-19 outbreak at Walmart

WORCESTER - City officials said they only learned of the coronavirus outbreak this week at the Walmart Supercenter on Tobias Boland Way through social media postings.

The city ordered the store to close after city officials heard of problems at the store that led to 23 employees testing positive for COVID-19.

massachusetts/more at link

Coronavirus: B&Q reopens all 288 stores amid lockdown

The company has gradually opened the doors of its sites across the country, with its final two outlets reopening on Thursday after stores closed due to the COVID-19 lockdown introduced in March.

Customers have visited the stores in their droves, leading to long queues outside, due to the coronavirus social distancing measures put in place.

DIY stores have been listed as "essential" by the government, meaning they are allowed to remain open during the lockdown, but some people have been concerned over the impact of opening the stores - such as increased traffic.

B&Q said it is "strictly limiting the number of customers in store at any one time", as well as introducing new safety measures, such as trolley sanitising stations.

Floors display markers signifying two metre gaps, while the now contactless-only checkouts have been fitted with Perspex screens to protect staff.
I was confused...didn't know who B&Q was until i clicked on link.

So, is this to say that a DIY store was NOT considered essential from the beginning??? That's a bit weird... our Lowes and Home Depots didn't close.

Sweden watch day 20.

Sweden has been lax compared to other countries as far as social distancing. Countries like Spain and Italy had a peak in their deaths around April 1st, three weeks after they saw more than 10 deaths a day. It came fast and they shut everything down, but the death rate quickly grew exponentially.

Sweden is now 4 1/2 weeks after they saw 10 deaths in day. They must be overwhelmed. Here is the latest IHME data from Sweden. Two things to notice-

1) the death rate is growing linearly, not exponentially.
2) the IHME model shows bad things are ahead, with deaths peaking three weeks from now. So this is 7 1/2 weeks after the deaths started rising, very different than Spain and Italy. Why such a delay?

upload_2020-4-30_13-44-46.png

Sweden's death rate from April 1st thru April 30 is not consistent with what we have been told by the experts and modeling. Certainly they are taking some precautions, but they should be overrun by now. Each country is unique in population density, average age, behavior; but generally COVID trends should be consistent.

Maybe there is something the epidemiologists don't understand. We know that coronavirus attacks the very weakest. Could the virus be far more widespread and prevalent than thought, and it just doesn't infect all people? I am not referring to the asymptomatic people who have been infected, I mean maybe the majority of people are too healthy to catch it in the first place. What if the vast majority of Europeans have been exposed to the virus, but the majority of them just can't catch COVID-19?

If that was the case, wouldn't Sweden's outcome be exactly like it is? Not much different than anywhere else.

I didn’t know B&Q either. :)
but DH did a curbside pick up at Home Depot last evening/ our stair hand railing broke (probably over enthusiastic cleaning on my part lol) and he was shocked that the parking lot was jam packed full. :eek: He probably wouldn’t have gone inside after seeing that. “Grocery shopping is bad enough”

I was confused...didn't know who B&Q was until i clicked on link. So, is this to say that a DIY store was NOT considered essential??? That's a bit weird... our Lowes and Home Depots didn't close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa