Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some comments from Dr. Mike on Apr 22 re: long term care facilities / source:

Dr. Michael J. Ryan: (16:07)
“[inaudible 00:16:07] families and they’re continuing to do so and families are doing their best to protect them. What we’ve seen in the context of Europe and North America though are very intense series of individual outbreaks inside longterm care facilities, which have been quite devastating. And the risk of such events occurring into the future, as long as the virus is here, there’s always an opportunity for that to happen. But at the same time it is very difficult to reduce that risk to zero. So I think each country is going to have to look at, “How can we minimize the risk of bringing disease into such a setting?” And there are lots of measures that can be done to minimize that risk. And even more importantly, “How are we going to pick up a signal that something has gone wrong, that there may be a case in that situation and how do we rapidly shut that down and deal with that very effectively?”

And that’s going to be that sort of both the risk reduction and the risk response to an event if it occurs. I’m sure there are many, many, many older people living in longterm care facilities who, at the best of times, are lonely. And for the last number of weeks has been a terrible ordeal for them, both to be further isolated, but also with the constant threat of potentially becoming sick with this disease. As the disease dies down or comes under control at community level, then the risks obviously reduce for those longterm care facilities. But the consequence of disease getting into those facilities I think is clear and stark. So how do we protect and shield our older, oldest and wisest and most precious members of our society while at the same time not entirely cutting them off from the very things that makes us human?

And that’s our ability to be part of a community. And these are trade offs that are very difficult to manage. My own view is that the risks can be managed. They need to be recognized then managed. And if in a situation where we do see disease occur in a longterm care facility, we must be ready to react very quickly to stamp out that disease. It’s also important that carers in these facilities have adequate training, that there’s an adequate design in facilities, there’s adequate staffing in facilities and that we look again at the support, design and environment that we offer for our older citizens.

That those environments are made, not only more comfortable and more human, but also safer. And I believe that can be achieved. And I believe there are lots of ideas on how that can be done. I think we need to maybe also look at the model of the way in which we’re providing care and support for our older citizens. There’s a lot to be done, but I do think it’s a major issue. I think if you look around Europe now and in North America and Canada, a large proportion of the intense disease transmission is actually concentrated in longterm care facilities, which is in itself a tragedy. And it’s also a challenge.”
From your source also -

Dr. Tedros: (28:32)
We had five from France, one from Finland, four from Germany. That makes it nine, 10 actually. 10 cases in Europe when we declared global emergency. In Africa, we didn’t have any case. In the United Arab Emirates from the Middle East, United Arab Emirates had four cases. So you can see it for yourself. We triggered the highest level of emergency when the rest of the world had only 82 cases and no deaths. And then to add to that, global emergencies discussed among experts. It’s not just one director general who just comes out and declares. We have experts representing all over the whole world coming together as experts and discussing, and they met on 23 January. They couldn’t agree. They were divided. Then of course they continued for a second day. Still, they couldn’t agree.

Dr. Tedros: (29:57)
Of course, they are agreed to meet in six, seven days, and then met for a second time on January 30 when based on the criteria we have, they were convinced that the criteria is met to declare this global emergency. So, I want to be clear again, the most important thing in which is expected as a declaration from WHO is the global emergency declaration on January 30. And that was declared based on experts opinion that was drawn from all over the world, who used the criteria to recommend to me that this is already a global emergency, and that consensus led to a declaration of global emergency from WHO, which I announced it myself. So looking back, I think we declared the emergency at the right time and when the world had enough time to respond when the rest of the world had enough time to respond. I repeat again, there were only 82 cases and no deaths. That was enough to cut it from the bud. Enough. That was January 30, and this is more than two months and 21 days ago, close to three months now. Thank you."

So from those 82 cases came all this. I notice he doesn't mention the US case though and they knew that at the time. There was clearly unidentified cases at that time that were also spreading the virus, like the cruise ships.
He seems to be saying that knowing this at this time was enough to "cut it from the bud" . So what happened ?

10 cases in Europe and 4 in Middle East outside Asia on 30 Jan. Is this correct? What were the 82 cases and no deaths that he is discussng ? Does anyone know?

Here is the Wiki about the first confirmed case in the states.

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Washington (state) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Dr. Cambell said this one was the hardest, most difficult video he's ever made.

COVID – 19, Saturday 2nd May, Do please share this video, people need to see this one.

This has been the anticipated greatest fear and heartbreak of many here since thread #1 and #2, was when the spread hit fragile countries.

Last edited:
In Spain, people took to the streets to run, cycle or walk after seven weeks in confinement. From today, people can exercise near their homes from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Since the strictest lockdown in Europe began on March 14, they have only been allowed out for short trips to the grocery store or pharmacy.

Singapore has announced plans to ease restrictions over the coming weeks, with business to resume more fully from June 1.

Malaysia will allow most businesses to reopen Monday, but movie theaters and nightclubs will remain closed.

India's lockdown, affecting 1.3 billion people, has been extended to May 17 but restrictions have eased in low-risk areas that haven't had new cases in three weeks.

Australia is considering easing its lockdown earlier than planned.

Mainland China was the first country in the world to go under lockdown. Now, with its daily cases in the low single digits, cities are easing their restrictions and tourist favorites like Beijing's Forbidden City are reopening. However, some limitations remain, like daily visitor caps and health checks.

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world

Last edited:
Georgia's governor said they could reopen. More than 50 restaurateurs said in a newspaper ad they're not ready

In a full-page advertisement in a local newspaper, more than 50 restaurateurs said they would hunker down for a little longer.

"We pledge ourselves to act as custodians of the public's trust," the statement reads. "...Recognizing that each operator faces incredibly difficult decisions on the path ahead, we affirm the fact that public safety is the top priority as we navigate the challenge."

_

US health officials urged states to hold off on easing any restrictions until they saw a 14-day continuous decline in cases and had sufficient capacity for both testing and contact tracing. Experts say Georgia hadn't checked any of those boxes before it kicked off its reopening plan.

Another wave of coronavirus will likely hit the US in the fall. Here's why

People usually get infected by four common coronaviruses that were first identified in the mid-1960s, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And those tend to peak in the winter months.

SARS-CoV-2, the technical name for the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19, is likely to follow that pattern.

If that happens, a second wave of the virus would return just in time for the start of flu season. The CDC estimates there were at least 39 million cases of the flu in the US and at least 24,000 deaths during the 2019-2020 season.

The combination of a second wave of Covid-19 with flu season could create "a lot of confusion" because of their overlap in symptoms and put a heavy strain on the health care system.

Sick filling up Worcester hospital beds, 107 people in ICU
The head of UMass Memorial Health Care estimated Friday that 10% of the local population is likely infected with new coronavirus, adding that the day has been the “worst day we’ve ever had” in terms of intensive care usage at city hospitals.
At least one local hospital has been using a refrigerated morgue truck on site since earlier this month. I’m guessing this isn’t too unusual in the harder hit areas.

Central Massachusetts

Last edited:
Georgia's governor said they could reopen. More than 50 restaurateurs said in a newspaper ad they're not ready

In a full-page advertisement in a local newspaper, more than 50 restaurateurs said they would hunker down for a little longer.

"We pledge ourselves to act as custodians of the public's trust," the statement reads. "...Recognizing that each operator faces incredibly difficult decisions on the path ahead, we affirm the fact that public safety is the top priority as we navigate the challenge."

_

US health officials urged states to hold off on easing any restrictions until they saw a 14-day continuous decline in cases and had sufficient capacity for both testing and contact tracing. Experts say Georgia hadn't checked any of those boxes before it kicked off its reopening plan.

It's about half and half in Atlanta. Plenty are opening and 6 large malls open on Monday. My daughter went to grocery yesterday. Different from previous week, no one was following the directional arrows and distancing. Only about a third had on mask.
My paramedic husband worked yesterday and this weekend. There was more trauma and car wrecks that has been in about a month. Also there were traffic jams in the common places that haven't existed in about a month. He did have 2 covid cases yesterday.
Yesterday was the single highest daily new cases in GA since April 7.

Japan planning to extend state of emergency as 261 more cases reported

Japan had 261 new coronavirus cases and 26 deaths yesterday.

The nationwide state of emergency was set to lift on May 6, but Prime Minster Shinzo Abe said that the government plans to extend it for about a month. The final decision will be made Monday, he said.

Japan has had a total of 15,257 coronavirus cases and 471 deaths.

IOWA - As of Friday, the Iowa Department of Public Health reports that there are 740 new COVID-19 cases and 8 new deaths.

Reynolds said 85% of Iowa’s new cases came from counties where COVID-19 restrictions remain in place.

Reynolds noted a snag in the testing and results process.

"We opened test sites in Des Moines and Waterloo, and this has generated a high volume of tests coming into the state hygienic lab in a short amount of time. While tests are being processed and individuals notified of their test results as timely as possible, there is a backlog in the data entry process which is how we get our daily numbers for reporting. This is being addressed and it will be caught up this weekend," she said.

Officials said they anticipate reporting higher than usual positive cases because of the large amount of testing that they have done recently.

As churches are allowed to resume religious services, officials said they encourage the continuation of remote audio or video services for high-risk Iowans and others who choose to stay home.

Some businesses in 77 Iowa counties reopened Friday in per an order from Reynolds loosening COVID-19 restrictions.

Iowa's positive COVID-19 cases soar by 740, 8 new deaths reported

Honeymooners arrested in Hawaii for allegedly violating quarantine

A California couple was arrested at a Hawaii hotel on Thursday for allegedly violating the island state's mandatory 14-day quarantine for travelers.

The couple, from Citrus Heights, came to Honolulu on their honeymoon and arrived at the hotel late Wednesday, when a front desk manager informed them about the self-quarantine order.

The couple allegedly told the manager that airport personnel told them contradictory information, and after further discussion of the rules, the Californians “scoffed at him again and then left the hotel,” according to a press release from Hawaii's COVID-19 Joint Information Center.

The couple subsequently returned to the hotel with a pizza after midnight, and refused to sign the quarantine acknowledgment.

The couple was informed again Thursday morning that they were in violation of the state’s quarantine requirements before being arrested.

Last edited:
GAINESVILLE, Ga. — One of Georgia’s current hot spots in during the coronavirus pandemic is Hall County. The hospital in Gainesville doesn't expect a peak of COVID-19 cases there until mid-June.
Hall County has the highest per-capita rate for confirmed COVID cases in north Georgia. While Georgia begins to reopen, the Gainesville area is just trying to breathe.
Different medical and political experts told Channel 2’s Tony Thomas that the high numbers are because of the volume of poultry plants and the makeup of the community.
That's being felt at Northeast Georgia Medical Center where 153 COVID-19 patients are currently being treated with dozens more waiting for test results.
The hospital said an additional 30 nurses arrived Wednesday. Officials told Thomas that more doctors and intensive care unit beds are on the way.
The hospital said its use of ventilators is at about 40% to 45% right now.

Hospital in Gainesville bracing for peak of COVID-19 as hot spot forms in Hall County

The countries hit hardest by Covid-19, by the numbers

1. United States: More than 1.1 million cases and 64,500 deaths

2. Spain: More than 213,000 cases and 24,500 deaths

3. Italy: More than 207,000 cases and 28,000 deaths

4. The UK: More than 178,000 cases and 27,000 deaths

5. France: More than 167,000 cases and 24,500 deaths

Honeymooners arrested in Hawaii for allegedly violating quarantine

A California couple was arrested at a Hawaii hotel on Thursday for allegedly violating the island state's mandatory 14-day quarantine for travelers.

The couple, from Citrus Heights, came to Honolulu on their honeymoon and arrived at the hotel late Wednesday, when a front desk manager informed them about the self-quarantine order.

The couple allegedly told the manager that airport personnel told them contradictory information, and after further discussion of the rules, the Californians “scoffed at him again and then left the hotel,” according to a press release from Hawaii's COVID-19 Joint Information Center.

The couple subsequently returned to the hotel with a pizza after midnight, and refused to sign the quarantine acknowledgment.

The couple was informed again Thursday morning that they were in violation of the state’s quarantine requirements before being arrested.

Arrested for getting a pizza. (joking)

Thought I would post this from Wiki

Protests over responses to the 2020 coronavirus pandemic - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Sick filling up Worcester hospital beds, 107 people in ICU

At least one local hospital has been using a refrigerated morgue truck on site since earlier this month. I’m guessing this isn’t too unusual in the harder hit areas.

Central Massachusetts

Reading that link, there's the information on Walmart. That reminded me of something I've been seeing in a lot of stores the past week.

For reference, I'm in retail but I travel from store to store to service my accounts. Think "pepsi guy" type of job. Anyway . . .

I'm in stockrooms a lot. I've noticed a lot of employees yank their mask down as soon as they're out of sight in the back. They also don't social distance as much in the stockroom. It's incredibly difficult to move freight while wearing a mask. I get it. I do more than my fair share of huffing and puffing. I am absolutely required to keep my mask on at all times, which I do. And it isn't just Walmart.

Jmo

They were arrested for violating Hawaii’s quarantine requirements.

on that note, from your link:

New Jersey

On April 17, an anti-lockdown protest occurred in Trenton. Days later, charges were brought against the organizer of the rally for violating social distancing guidelines.[80]

Don’t mess with New Jersey!

I was just joshing about the pizza. I'll edit my post. It said the honeymooners came back to the hotel with a pizza and would not sign the quarantine agreement so they were arrested for allegedly violating quarantine. Maybe going out to collect food is ok but I don't know Hawaii orders that well.

Johnson and Symonds name baby son

Boris Johnson and his fiancee Carrie Symonds have named their baby boy Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson.

The names are a tribute to their grandfathers and two doctors who treated Mr Johnson while he was in hospital with coronavirus, Ms Symonds wrote in an Instagram post.

She thanked staff at University College London Hospital, adding: "I couldn't be happier. My heart is full."

She posted a picture of herself with the baby, who was born on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayana2cool4school