Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
These quotes are intended by researchers to be positive...

“There is a big difference between 0.25% mortality and 7%,” Yealy said.

Their big difference in percentages of mortality is no difference at all to those who have died a horrible death and to their loved ones who didn’t get to hold their hands and comfort them. Dead is dead.

Yealy further said the majority of the deaths among UPMC patients involved people over 80, with many being nursing home residents.

Well, that’s a relief! The majority were over 80 and I’m not. Oh, and they were in nursing homes and I’m not. So it’s less of a concern? To whom? To researchers and statisticians maybe, and to those not in those categories, but not to the people living (and dying) at that age in a nursing home and to their loved ones. How old y0u were and where you lived when you died is still dead.

Do researchers ever listen to themselves and wonder why people feel devalued? No, I didn’t think so. As a society do we listen to ourselves using these same statistics to justify “opening up” our favorite places? Yes, at some point we do need to “open up” but do we realize how devaluing it sounds about our elderly? Can we stop for a moment in our rush to restaurants, beauty salons and beaches to reflect on the lives that will still be lost because of our mad dash back to “normal.” Can we please see them as people who contributed to society and who have families and friends? Being dead doesn’t negate the life that was lived.

We are n0t a society that generally respects and honors its elderly, and the conversation around coronavirus has brought this failing into sharp focus. It’s an uncomfortable truth and so we look away and focus on “reopening.” But can we spare a moment to think about the words of former Vice President Hubert Humphrey (often erroneously attributed to Ghandi)...

“The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.”

Former President Jimmy Carter put it this way...“The measure of a society is found in how they treat their weakest and most helpless citizens.

I would add that how we think about and value these ones is the measure of us as individuals. So let’s resist thinking and talking in purely statistical or demographic terms as we move forward, and let us show that these lives lost and yet to be lost are truly valued.
JMO

in all of my 75 years, until now, i have never felt such an imminent existential
threat to my life--i am at once terrified, then depressed-- i think of all those who
have died agonizing deaths,, not allowed to be comforted in their last moments.
I almost see this virus as a living entity, murderous, ruthless, whose only
function is to kill as many people as possible in a myriad of horrific ways.
we are helpless against its wrath-- all of our technology is useless---it might
as well be 1918-- well we do have Zoom and social media!!!! those of us
who do the right thing like social distancing are also in a sense potential
victims of selfish morons who will be responsible for deaths of many. This
is a horror the likes of which i could have never imagined in my life time
You are not alone in your feelings. I am 75 years old too. I don't mind isolating and social-distancing, but I am terrified of this virus and how it is affecting what could be my final years. I alternate between anxiety and depression, worrying about money, health and peace of mind.

I hear you!
Is there an "In the event of my death, xxxx xxxx will privately contact ****** ******?"
Do we just give our information to someone who we trust to contact someone?
I have seen the passing of some members and I was so shocked, saddened and wondered how I missed that the person who I enjoyed thier posts was suddenly gone. FIREFOX- for example! Had I know his real name, I'd have known, but it was months before I found out. *(he was a first responder when my friend in high school was killed. Her name was Laurie Landt)
Is there a thread to advise on how to notify members of our passing?
Sorry if off topic.
Moo
Do you have a Last Will & Testament? Advance Health Care Directive, Statutory Power of Attorney?

CDC thoughts on the issue.....

...examination of strains collected from northern California during early February to mid-March indicated multiple introductions resulting from international travel (from China and Europe) as well as from interstate travel.¶
Sequencing of strains collected in the New York metropolitan area in March also suggested origins in Europe and other U.S. regions.**

"During February 2020, the number of confirmed cases originating in the United States was low and appeared contained; thus, federal and local jurisdictions did not recommend restrictions on gatherings. However, during the last week of February, several large events led to further spread of the disease. These included Mardi Gras celebrations in Louisiana with more than 1 million attendees, an international professional conference held in Boston, Massachusetts, with approximately 175 attendees, and a funeral in Albany, Georgia, with more than 100 attendees

"Because SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, remains in circulation and a large proportion of the population remains susceptible, the potential for future acceleration remains."

"Returning cruise ship travelers also contributed to amplification during this time."

"On April 3, CDC issued guidance for use of cloth face coverings in public areas to reduce spread, based on increasing evidence of transmission in the absence of symptoms.††" (Why no requirements in most states?)

"As the pandemic evolves, control efforts must be continuously refined. Certain interventions that were critical in the early stages, such as quarantine and airport screening, might have less impact when transmission is widespread in the community. However, many elements of the mitigation strategies used during the acceleration phase will still be needed in later stages of the outbreak.

Preliminary results from serologic surveys suggest that even in the U.S. regions with the largest numbers of recognized cases, most persons have not been infected and remain susceptible.§§,¶¶

"The epidemic curve presented was likely affected by limited testing, particularly in the early phases of the outbreak.

"The case counts presented are an underestimate of the actual number of COVID-19 cases in the United States.

Therefore, sustained and concerted efforts will be needed to prevent future spread of SARS-CoV-2 within the United States."

Public Health Response to the Initiation and Spread of Pandemic ...

These quotes are intended by researchers to be positive...

Their big difference in percentages of mortality is no difference at all to those who have died a horrible death and to their loved ones who didn’t get to hold their hands and comfort them. Dead is dead.

Well, that’s a relief! The majority were over 80 and I’m not. Oh, and they were in nursing homes and I’m not. So it’s less of a concern? To whom? To researchers and statisticians maybe, and to those not in those categories, but not to the people living (and dying) at that age in a nursing home and to their loved ones. How old y0u were and where you lived when you died is still dead.

Do researchers ever listen to themselves and wonder why people feel devalued? No, I didn’t think so. As a society do we listen to ourselves using these same statistics to justify “opening up” our favorite places? Yes, at some point we do need to “open up” but do we realize how devaluing it sounds about our elderly? Can we stop for a moment in our rush to restaurants, beauty salons and beaches to reflect on the lives that will still be lost because of our mad dash back to “normal.” Can we please see them as people who contributed to society and who have families and friends? Being dead doesn’t negate the life that was lived.

We are n0t a society that generally respects and honors its elderly, and the conversation around coronavirus has brought this failing into sharp focus. It’s an uncomfortable truth and so we look away and focus on “reopening.” But can we spare a moment to think about the words of former Vice President Hubert Humphrey (often erroneously attributed to Ghandi)...

“The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped.”

Former President Jimmy Carter put it this way...“The measure of a society is found in how they treat their weakest and most helpless citizens.

I would add that how we think about and value these ones is the measure of us as individuals. So let’s resist thinking and talking in purely statistical or demographic terms as we move forward, and let us show that these lives lost and yet to be lost are truly valued.
JMO
I think we are a society that respects and honours our elderly. Even though this nursing home and dormitory scenario is now well known as a risk it is still happening. Same mistakes being repeated is what I think is unforgivable.

Being in a care home was thought to be a place of safety but now we know that is not the case. Society being open or closed has not seemed to help these poor victims.

Went out this morning to the Pharmacy, beer, and grocery stores.

More people getting groceries than I'm comfortable being around. Can, paper, and cleaning shelves empty or limited quantity/choices. Drug store only a few people at opening. Beer store didn't have wife's preferred beverage in bottles. Owner came out to car after I got in and asked for name and phone number to call when he gets more in.

Village still eerily empty with few vehicles. People out and about walking and biking. Definitely more vehicles on roads which wife noticed the other day also.

The local county numbers getting better.

ArcGIS Dashboards

It’s enlightening what I’ve been reading on the neighborhood page, majority think - “The ban is lifted! The curve is flattened! It’s over!

They talk about resuming their daily life “like before”. No masks. No social distancing.

Seniors told to stay in until June and I’m hearing “only 5 more weeks to go”!

Do they not understand we haven’t eradicated this virus? And seniors still can’t go out or be around others after that magic date?

Or am I misinformed?

Last edited:
Singapore's health ministry on Saturday confirmed 447 new coronavirus infections, the smallest daily rise in two weeks, taking the city-state's tally of cases to 17,548 with 16 virus-related deaths.

Most of the new cases are among migrant workers living in dormitories, the ministry said.

Singapore confirms 447 new coronavirus cases, smallest rise in two weeks
Singapore is the cleanest place I have ever visited. Never even saw a fly the several times I was there. Very, very strict litter laws.

It’s crazy what I’ve been reading on the neighborhood page, majority think “it’s over”! The ban is lifted! The curve is flattened!

They talk about resuming their daily life “like before”. No masks. No social distancing.

Do they not understand we haven’t eradicated this virus? And seniors still can’t go out or be around others after that magic date?

Or am I misinformed?
What country/state are you? It's difficult to comment without knowing what stage your area is at.

It’s enlightening what I’ve been reading on the neighborhood page, majority think “it’s over”! The ban is lifted! The curve is flattened!

Or am I misinformed?
No. You are no misinformed. The "peak" and "over" are not the same, and when it's realized things opened too soon, we will be reminded.

UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA...CIDRAP....CENTER FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASE AND POLICY
Whichever scenario the pandemic follows, we must be prepared for at least another 18 to 24 months of significant COVID-19 activity, with hot spots popping up periodically in diverse geographic areas.

¤ Scenario 1: The first wave of COVID-19 in spring 2020 is followed by a series of repetitive smaller waves that occur through the summer and then consistently over a 1- to 2-year period, gradually diminishing sometime in 2021. The occurrence of these waves may vary geographically and may depend on what mitigation measures are in place and how they are eased. Depending on the height of the wave peaks, this scenario could require periodic reinstitution and subsequent relaxation of mitigation measures over the next 1 to 2 years.

¤ Scenario 2: The first wave of COVID-19 in spring 2020 is followed by a larger wave in the fall or winter of 2020 and one or more smaller subsequent waves in 2021. This pattern will require the reinstitution of mitigation measures in the fall in an attempt to drive down spread of infection and prevent healthcare systems from being overwhelmed. This pattern is similar to what was seen with the 1918-19 pandemic (CDC 2018). During that pandemic, a small wave began in March 1918 and subsided during the summer months. A much larger peak then occurred in the fall of 1918. A third peak occurred during the winter and spring of 1919; that wave subsided in the summer of 1919, signaling the end of the pandemic. The 1957-58 pandemic followed a similar pattern, with a smaller spring wave followed by a much larger fall wave (Saunders-Hastings 2016). Successive smaller waves continued to occur for several years (Miller 2009). The 2009-10 pandemic also followed a pattern of a spring wave followed by a larger fall wave (Saunders-Hastings 2016).

¤ Scenario 3: The first wave of COVID-19 in spring 2020 is followed by a “slow burn” of ongoing
transmission and case occurrence, but without a clear wave pattern. Again, this pattern may vary somewhat geographically and may be influenced by the degree of mitigation measures in place in various areas. While this third pattern was not seen with past influenza pandemics, it remains a possibility for COVID-19. This third scenario likely would not require the reinstitution of mitigation measures, although cases and deaths will continue to occur.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3OOiWkfWhkmMRKtlcCJ_j4&cshid=1588433200292

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_112156.jpg
    IMG_20200502_112156.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online