Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s “Better than nothing”
Imo
I do think correctly using a mask helps to keep other people safe or at least reduces the risk (my mask protects you)
So if we BOTH wear masks, there ia a strong layer or protection. I protect you, and you protect me.

And if there is a plexiglasss barrier as well, we are pretty safe.

I have been going to the same bank for many years. Just spoke to my friend who has been working there for 10 years and is now the manager. She said there have been no confirmed positive results of their staff yet.

They have glass partitions and began wearing masks a month ago and also require customers to be masked before entering. This is a suburb of Los Angeles with 287 cases in the immediate neighbourhood.

When plexiglass is placed, correctly, it will help. At the convenience store I visited, it did not protect the cashier when she was at the register. It was placed so that if she stood behind the counter she would be protected behind it. But they hardly ever come out from behind the register, and that position left her wide open.

Message from George W. Bush:

I found this really touching. Not political in any way. Just kindness and wisdom from a former President.

I posted that last night. President George W. Bush made that video for a 24- hour livestream show to support Covid-19 relief efforts, A call to Unite.
I tried to find last night's YouTube, but I don't see it. They posted all the videos from the show on the website if anyone wants to view them.

"Join a collective of global leaders, entertainers, and citizens coming together in a 24-hour livestreamed event this weekend.

The Call to Unite livestream will bring together a range of cultural, spiritual, and civic leaders from across the world for a global movement to directly support COVID-19 relief efforts. As the world stays at home to support social distancing measures, the live stream acts as a celebration of the support and strength shown during the past several weeks.

During its special opening hour, The Call to Unite live stream will feature host Tim Shriver with guests like Oprah Winfrey, Eckhart Tolle, T.D. Jakes, former Presidents, and more. As the livestream progresses on, the guests will share positivity and support in their own ways, from teaching a practice to performing a song, recounting a past memory or offering a prayer, sharing a poem, or another unique gift.

There's a long list of guests scheduled to appear during the 24-hour live stream, such as Common, Oprah Winfrey, Alanis Morissette, Amandla Stenberg. Charlamagne tha God, Deepak Chopra, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Garner, Jewel, Josh Groban, Julia Roberts, LeAnn Rimes, Mandy Moore, Marie Kondo, Martin Luther King III, Martin Sheen, Naomi Campbell, Peter Gabriel, Questlove, Quincy Jones, Rodney Atkins, The Young People's Chorus of New York City, Yao Ming, and 98 Degrees. For a full list, visit the Call to Unite website."

The Call to UNITE

What is meant by “crabbing”, anyway? Like digging for sand crabs at the ocean shoreline? Used to do that for fun as a kid, and I think sometimes fishermen use them for bait.

Do people catch crabs in a cage off from a pier? Is that the kind of crabbing being referred to? I’m sure they don’t mean the kind where you go out in a chartered boat. Not yet.

I would think surf fishing or pier fishing would be allowed, as long as recommended social distances are kept.
Crabbing to us -
Tie a chicken leg on a long length of string.
Throw it out into the water.
Tie the other end to a stick and put in in the ground. Have some slack in the line.
When the line pulls tight/taut - gently pull the line/chicken leg towards you.
Have a net ready and once you can see the crab, scoop the crab into the net.

I will make sure we’re both in masks. I will probably stay farther away than 8 feet, even. She is my world, so I’m really protective of her. I hope the chickens won’t be ornery and will be easily caught by her so she can hold them. I usually grab them and hand them to her. (She also has my login for our security camera so she can watch the chickens from her apartment. But she likes to interact with them.)

BTW, if any of you think the chicken thing is odd, you should google the Hensioners in Australia. It’s a project where they keep backyard chickens in care homes as enrichment for the residents. It’s really an amazing program and the residents love it.
I am struggling with a lot of similar personal choices. I think there comes a point where we have to think about what is called "quality of life". We need interaction with animals and our loved ones. But it is a difficult decision to make and I flip back and forth all the time.

My mom's personality is beginning to fracture and she needs to see her grandkids. But how do we do it safely...I do not want to risk anything. The new I will swing the other way and think to heck with this.....if my mom wants to hug her grandkids, then let her.
So far, I keep going back to what would a "responsible person do" knowing the possible risks.

When plexiglass is placed, correctly, it will help. At the convenience store I visited, it did not protect the cashier when she was at the register. It was placed so that if she stood behind the counter she would be protected behind it. But they hardly ever come out from behind the register, and that position left her wide open.
Yes, that its a problem. At the bank it is a wall of plexiglass.

But some of the stores that now have plexiglass have a large partition, not just a small one.

Thank you. Imagine being in a very small office for 8 hours a day, at a desk, with a piece of plexiglas on your desk, between you and a client. You are expected to see 10 clients a day.

As far as I know, viruses can travel in air molecules...not long, but they won't just stay on the client side of the 18 inches high plexiglas. JMO.

Nobody wants to contract the coronavirus. But if you do, you probably want to know about it — and fast.

Recently passed federal legislation makes these tests free. However, AARP reports that you must follow a protocol before you will get a test:

“In general, patients seeking testing must first undergo an online screening process to determine eligibility and secure an appointment. Once at a testing site, usually arriving by car, the patient will be asked to self-administer a nose swab under the guidance of a pharmacist or other health care professional. Patients typically remain in their vehicles during testing. Some test results are delivered on-site; most, however, are delivered later by phone or email.”

Now, some major retailers are offering free coronavirus testing. The following retailers announced this week that they also are expanding their testing programs.

Retailers offering these free tests include:

CVS
To get your test, you must register in advance — via CVS’ COVID-19 testing webpage — and qualify.

Right now, you can get a test from CVS in Connecticut, Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan and Rhode Island. In May, CVS will start expanding its testing program with the goal of establishing 1,000 testing locations across the U.S.

Kroger
To get your test, you first will need to use the Kroger Virtual Assessment Tool, which is available on Kroger Health’s COVID-19 testing page.

As of April 23, Kroger is offering testing at 30 locations in Colorado, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee. Kroger plans to have 50 locations in more than 12 states by the end of May.

Rite Aid
As with all of these retailers, you will need to use the screener to qualify for testing. Rite Aid has partnered with life sciences company Verily and is using Verily’s Project Baseline program for screening. So, Rite Aid is directing consumers to the screener on Project Baseline’s website.

Free testing is available in California, Delaware, Idaho, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, with more locations on the way.

Walgreens
To qualify for testing, take the screening questionnaire that’s available on Walgreens’ COVID-19 testing page.

The drugstore chain is offering testing in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. It plans to add to this list, expanding to 49 states.

Walmart
To get a test, you must sign up for an appointment via the links on Walmart’s COVID-19 testing page.

Testing is available in more than a dozen states, as indicated on the map on the testing page.

5 Major Retailers Offering Free Coronavirus Tests

I am struggling with a lot of similar personal choices. I think there comes a point where we have to think about what is called "quality of life". We need interaction with animals and our loved ones. But it is a difficult decision to make and I flip back and forth all the time.

My mom's personality is beginning to fracture and she needs to see her grandkids. But how do we do it safely...I do not want to risk anything. The new I will swing the other way and think to heck with this.....if my mom wants to hug her grandkids, then let her.
So far, I keep going back to what would a "responsible person do" knowing the possible risks.

I'm in a similar situation with my mom. She was beginning to show some early dementia and we're in a rapid downstream pattern complete with raging Rapids and a looming waterfall now. I just got home from tearing over there because she was dying, couldn't see and couldn't move. Long story short, the EMTs ascertained she is fine. I'm about to go over the waterfall myself. ;) This is tough on people. Jmo

"To the people who resort to threats and intimidation when asked to take a simple step to protect your community: shame on you. Our freedom as Americans comes with responsibilities, too," the mayor tweeted. "We must find common ground and work together to deal with the circumstances our society is facing. Whether or not we agree on the details, we have to find ways to cooperate in the task before us."

Yeah. In addition to appealing to their better natures, hopefully arrest warrants are being issued for threatening people on the front lines. They might learn to care about coronavirus in jail.

Coronavirus, social distancing will change the way we attend games

This is a thought provoking article. NFL season would start right around when the 2nd wave of Coronavirus is predicted in the Fall of 2020. I don't think folks are going to want to flock to stadiums.

Our football (AFL) season is going to re-start at some point in the very near future ... and we will have NO spectators at the stadium(s).
The officials are now trying to work out if they will have the players live and play in a 'hub' for the 20 weeks (of course, many players are baulking at this) or if there is some way they can fly the players to their interstate games and keep them isolated.
I guess the players have to earn those big bucks they are (still) being paid. On the flip side of the coin, it will make for some better TV viewing for many.

AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan has accepted the fact there won't be spectators when matches resume in 2020 .....
Will there be a crowd at the GF? AFL not ruling it out just yet

Dogs have been trained to effectively sniff out an array of complexities from cancer to blood sugar levels in diabetics, and now one program is hoping to apply the practice to detect coronavirus.

The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine has a new program to see if dogs can detect the current strain of the coronavirus.

"We're starting to look to see if dogs can detect an odor associated with COVID-19," Dr. Cynthia Otto told ABC News. "I like to think about dogs as seeing the world through their noses."

The school said the dogs are currently learning how to identify different smells and begin by sniffing out an odor to get a treat.

After a successful first training period, the dogs will then begin to use samples from patients who have tested both positive and negative for COVID-19.

"What we're trying to do is find if there is an odor of volatile organic compound basically, that is telling us that there is a difference," Otto explained. "What we're hoping is that the dogs can figure that out."

Their hope is that the doctors at Penn can then train the dogs to help sniff out the disease in people.

"It might be that a company wants to bring their workers back, but don't want to bring anybody that might be positive. So we might have them walk by the dogs and the dog would let us know if there was somebody that was positive," she explained.

Penn Vet | Article

Can dogs be trained to sniff out COVID-19 in patients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Betts79