Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
"To the people who resort to threats and intimidation when asked to take a simple step to protect your community: shame on you. Our freedom as Americans comes with responsibilities, too," the mayor tweeted. "We must find common ground and work together to deal with the circumstances our society is facing. Whether or not we agree on the details, we have to find ways to cooperate in the task before us."

Yeah. In addition to appealing to their better natures, hopefully arrest warrants are being issued for threatening people on the front lines. They might learn to care about coronavirus in jail.

Grocery checkers aren't the appropriate people to be enforcing the law (or "rules," as they may be). If the city wants to enforce "the rules," they need to put the appropriate authorities in place to do that. jmo

Our football (AFL) season is going to re-start at some point in the very near future ... and we will have NO spectators at the stadium(s).
The officials are now trying to work out if they will have the players live and play in a 'hub' for the 20 weeks (of course, many players are baulking at this) or if there is some way they can fly the players to their interstate games and keep them isolated.
I guess the players have to earn those big bucks they are (still) being paid. On the flip side of the coin, it will make for some better TV viewing for many.

AFL chief executive officer Gillon McLachlan has accepted the fact there won't be spectators when matches resume in 2020 .....
Will there be a crowd at the GF? AFL not ruling it out just yet

The issue with this, is that the game of football is not "socially distant". Teams cannot test every player on every team with rapid result tests, when sick people in the community don't even have access to those tests. One or two infected players, could potentially infect their team, the other team, and place their families at risk, and their community at large

It isn't just the fans...

Last edited:

Over 100,000 Flamingos Reportedly Descend on Mumbai Amid India's Strict Coronavirus Lockdown

Madeleine Carlisle
1 hour ago
BB13w5RB.img
© Ndranil Mukherjee/AFP—Getty Images A flock of flamingos flies in a pond during a government-imposed nationwide lockdown as a preventive measure against the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, in Navi Mumbai on April 20, 2020. | Ndranil Mukherjee/AFP—Getty Images India has been under a strict lockdown since March 25, which has required over a billion people to stay home and shutter all but essential services, in an attempt to stop the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by novel coronavirus. On May 1, the Indian government extended the lockdown through May 18.

Flamingos typically migrate to wetlands of the metropolitan region of Mumbai from November to May, Rhul Khot, the assistant director of the BNHS, told the Times. But this year’s lockdown “is giving these birds peace for roosting, no disturbance in their attempt to obtain food and overall encouraging habitat,” Deepak Apte, the director of the BNHS, explained, per Times. He added that the increase is also likely tied to a successful breeding season two years ago, as well as the destruction of wetlands on India’s eastern seafront that could be pushing the birds to the Mumbai region, per the Times.

Khot also told the Times that an increase in “domestic sewage” from people staying at home during the lockdown “is helping the undisturbed formation of planktons, algae and microbenthos formation, which forms the food for flamingos and other wetland birds.”
“Residents are cooped up at home spending their mornings and evenings at their balconies taking photographs and videos of these relaxed birds,” Sunil Agarwal, a resident of Seawoods in Navi Mumbai, told the Times about the flamingos.The lockdown will at least prompt people to focus on what is around them, which they had been taking for granted, and hopefully this site will be declared a flamingo sanctuary soon.”

The issue with this, is that the game of football is not "socially distant". Teams cannot test every player on every team with rapid result tests, when sick people in the community don't even have access to those tests. One or two infected players, could potentially infect their team, the other team, and place their families at risk.

It isn't just the fans...

For sure. It is a big risk that many see as unnecessary.

I just can't for the life of me work out how we are going to return to any kind of relatively-risk-free normal ... even with social distancing being kept in place. It seems completely impossible. So, I guess certain risks will be taken. At least until herd protection is in place - either through exposure or vaccination.

I am struggling with a lot of similar personal choices. I think there comes a point where we have to think about what is called "quality of life". We need interaction with animals and our loved ones. But it is a difficult decision to make and I flip back and forth all the time.

My mom's personality is beginning to fracture and she needs to see her grandkids. But how do we do it safely...I do not want to risk anything. The new I will swing the other way and think to heck with this.....if my mom wants to hug her grandkids, then let her.
So far, I keep going back to what would a "responsible person do" knowing the possible risks.

maybe gently tell her her grandkids won't get any hugs if she's no longer around

Dr. Cambell said this one was the hardest, most difficult video he's ever made.

COVID – 19, Saturday 2nd May, Do please share this video, people need to see this one.
This has been the anticipated greatest fear and heartbreak of many here since thread #1 and #2, was when the spread hit fragile countries.

Dreadful predictions and possibilities; a future reality.

Risks to food security:
Virus will probably bring social unrest,
Risks to food production, distribution, food security.

STIs and covid-19, if someone already has an infection the disease, covid-19 is more severe

I'm in a similar situation with my mom. She was beginning to show some early dementia and we're in a rapid downstream pattern complete with raging Rapids and a looming waterfall now. I just got home from tearing over there because she was dying, couldn't see and couldn't move. Long story short, the EMTs ascertained she is fine. I'm about to go over the waterfall myself. ;) This is tough on people. Jmo

sending you virtual hugs

You know. I always knew that my 13 year old German Shepherd was smart.
However, during this lockdown, with more time spent with him, he really blows my mind as to how smart and aware of things he is.
This beautiful boy has always had my heart. But, now, spending quite time with him, I realize what a blessing he is.

Thank you. Imagine being in a very small office for 8 hours a day, at a desk, with a piece of plexiglas on your desk, between you and a client. You are expected to see 10 clients a day.

As far as I know, viruses can travel in air molecules...not long, but they won't just stay on the client side of the 18 inches high plexiglas. JMO.

As far as I have seen in various videos, the droplets go forward and eventually drop. But they do not usually fly up higher---they are heavy and drop, not rise higher.

I am struggling with a lot of similar personal choices. I think there comes a point where we have to think about what is called "quality of life". We need interaction with animals and our loved ones. But it is a difficult decision to make and I flip back and forth all the time.

My mom's personality is beginning to fracture and she needs to see her grandkids. But how do we do it safely...I do not want to risk anything. The new I will swing the other way and think to heck with this.....if my mom wants to hug her grandkids, then let her.
So far, I keep going back to what would a "responsible person do" knowing the possible risks.

I'm in a similar situation with my mom. She was beginning to show some early dementia and we're in a rapid downstream pattern complete with raging Rapids and a looming waterfall now. I just got home from tearing over there because she was dying, couldn't see and couldn't move. Long story short, the EMTs ascertained she is fine. I'm about to go over the waterfall myself. ;) This is tough on people. Jmo

Hugs to you both. The “quality of life” dilemma is real. And it’s hard. I honestly don’t think there are “right answers” in these situations. Do we protect our parents at the expense of their relationships or do we take a risk so they can enjoy their last bit of time with family...especially if dementia diminishes their reasoning ability. I had to decide whether to nag my 92 yo Mom to take her meds or just let her be. Whatever you decide, it’s likely you will have regrets when it’s over. That’s the nature of caregiving IMO. And when you feel you are about “to go over the waterfall” it’s hard to make decisions. Just know that you are doing the best you can from a place of love. Those of us who have been there understand.

However, during this lockdown, with more time spent with him, he really blows my mind as to how smart and aware of things he is.
This beautiful boy has always had my heart. But, now, spending quite time with him, I realize what a blessing he is.

What a lovely post. That warms my heart @KALI.

My pups are my life-savers. I have 4 rescue dogs. My oldest dog is a Hurricane Katrina dog. We have been through a lot of things together. He is the constant in my life. I have had this particular pup almost 15 years and he was around 2 when I got him.

We are golfers too. I decided not to join my Ladies League this season. Husband and I can get a round in on our own if and when we feel comfortable enough. Guess we will have to sanitize every time we pull the flag stick.

here in Florida they dont want golfers to pull/touch the flag stick . the flag stick is
left in the hole when you putt. there is some type of gizmo in the hole so your
golf ball cant drop into the hole. check with your course--i believe courses
around the country are doing this

I will make sure we’re both in masks. I will probably stay farther away than 8 feet, even. She is my world, so I’m really protective of her. I hope the chickens won’t be ornery and will be easily caught by her so she can hold them. I usually grab them and hand them to her. (She also has my login for our security camera so she can watch the chickens from her apartment. But she likes to interact with them.)

BTW, if any of you think the chicken thing is odd, you should google the Hensioners in Australia. It’s a project where they keep backyard chickens in care homes as enrichment for the residents. It’s really an amazing program and the residents love it.
I think it's a lovely idea Jane and low risk. The only thing to factor in, is if she might need to use the loo. Maybe have one nearby sanitised to the max for your peace of mind, just in case she needs to pay a visit

Hugs to you both. The “quality of life” dilemma is real. And it’s hard. I honestly don’t think there are “right answers” in these situations. Do we protect our parents at the expense of their relationships or do we take a risk so they can enjoy their last bit of time with family...especially if dementia diminishes their reasoning ability. I had to decide whether to nag my 92 yo Mom to take her meds or just let her be. Whatever you decide, it’s likely you will have regrets when it’s over. That’s the nature of caregiving IMO. And when you feel you are about “to go over the waterfall” it’s hard to make decisions. Just know that you are doing the best you can from a place of love. Those of us who have been there understand.
Totally agree.

I feel v sorry for my parents right now. My dad's health is failing and at the start of the year my mum booked several small trips for them to make the most of the year. All cancelled. They know their priority is to stay safe but this is so hard on people who recognise they are making the most of the time they have.

The maintenance worker from our local nursing home spoke to my husband last week about possible ways to protect their residents. They'll be coming in for a meeting next week so he can demonstrate special UV lights and a peroxide filter system for the air handlers in their HVAC system.
That's very interesting. We have been wondering about the A/C .

Crabbing to us -
Tie a chicken leg on a long length of string.
Throw it out into the water.
Tie the other end to a stick and put in in the ground. Have some slack in the line.
When the line pulls tight/taut - gently pull the line/chicken leg towards you.
Have a net ready and once you can see the crab, scoop the crab into the net.
The things we learn on here are amazing. :)

Last edited:
Grocery checkers aren't the appropriate people to be enforcing the law (or "rules," as they may be). If the city wants to enforce "the rules," they need to put the appropriate authorities in place to do that. jmo
Our local Tesco has big guys in yellow vests to sort out things like that. One giving out the trolley at the entrance and one at the exit to ensure one way traffic. If any shopper is going to get nasty those guys would sort it out and call the police. Also, if the store usually has a store detective then that should be their job too. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg