Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outdoor services in the winter in Minnesota?
Is it still winter in Minnesota? What's the temperature today?

What's Minnesota's plan? Signing in to attend?

I guess the reasoning is so all people can be contacted if someone in the congregation gets the virus.

Over 100,000 Flamingos Reportedly Descend on Mumbai Amid India's Strict Coronavirus Lockdown

Madeleine Carlisle
1 hour ago
BB13w5RB.img
© Ndranil Mukherjee/AFP—Getty Images A flock of flamingos flies in a pond during a government-imposed nationwide lockdown as a preventive measure against the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, in Navi Mumbai on April 20, 2020. | Ndranil Mukherjee/AFP—Getty Images India has been under a strict lockdown since March 25, which has required over a billion people to stay home and shutter all but essential services, in an attempt to stop the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by novel coronavirus. On May 1, the Indian government extended the lockdown through May 18.

Flamingos typically migrate to wetlands of the metropolitan region of Mumbai from November to May, Rhul Khot, the assistant director of the BNHS, told the Times. But this year’s lockdown “is giving these birds peace for roosting, no disturbance in their attempt to obtain food and overall encouraging habitat,” Deepak Apte, the director of the BNHS, explained, per Times. He added that the increase is also likely tied to a successful breeding season two years ago, as well as the destruction of wetlands on India’s eastern seafront that could be pushing the birds to the Mumbai region, per the Times.

Khot also told the Times that an increase in “domestic sewage” from people staying at home during the lockdown “is helping the undisturbed formation of planktons, algae and microbenthos formation, which forms the food for flamingos and other wetland birds.”
“Residents are cooped up at home spending their mornings and evenings at their balconies taking photographs and videos of these relaxed birds,” Sunil Agarwal, a resident of Seawoods in Navi Mumbai, told the Times about the flamingos.The lockdown will at least prompt people to focus on what is around them, which they had been taking for granted, and hopefully this site will be declared a flamingo sanctuary soon.”

I live a little less than a mile from the ocean......... and never before have I seen the egrets land on our property in my neighborhood. Not sure why they are feeling it safe and or necessary... but they are a beautiful sweep of bright white walking and stalking across my yard.....

Rsbm
I heard a sports guy talking on all the issues, problems with starting..not starting sports clubs activities.. So many jobs, so many hardships, so much joy lost........ it is really terrible... I would not complain to see teams get special testing and treatment to play... i just wouldn't.
I'm with you 100%. We need some entertainment to maintain (or restore) our mental health. Some people will be very upset (and lost) without sports.

Perhaps there is still a way for churches to be proactive in doing their part to stop the spread of Covid. Is there something that they can do to regain a more positive public image plus have a practical solution to the urgent needs of the current health care crisis?
The vast, over whelming majority of churches immediately complied with all government closure orders.

What more do you want (with in the bounds of a free society)?
Could they request permission to photograph each gathering, date it and store the photograph with their legal council?
Sure, churches may voluntarily chose to do that. The key word is "voluntary".

In the end, there are some things that are just not ordered in free societies- even with Covid. Ordering churches to provide names of attendees or ordering them to provide photographs of attendees are some of these things.

Last edited:
I'm with you 100%. We need some entertainment to maintain (or restore) our mental health. Some people will be very upset (and lost) without sports.

I am absolutely against valuable rapid tests used on NFL players who meet zero guidelines for COVID19 tests. Just to play a football game?! 35 players x 256 game season, that is roughly 18,000 tests.

Complete waste of valuable resources.

I am absolutely against valuable rapid tests used on NFL players who meet zero guidelines for COVID19 tests. Just to play a football game?! 35 players x 256 game season, that is roughly 18,000 tests.
I suspect that the NFL will not only pay for the tests but will donate several million dollars to boost testing capacity for others. Win/Win.
Complete waste of valuable resources.
I suspect the NFL will not only pay for those tests but will donate several million dollars to fund increased testing capacity in the US. Win/win.

It seems so 20th C for human contact tracers to interview and track down contacts of infected people when TraceTogether apps provide instant data. I realize that some people view digital tracing as a violation of personal rights. However, regardless of whether the information is obtained through conversation or bluetooth digital data, the result is the same. Time and location is revealed for the benefit of the person who is traced.

Most people don't realize that every time they walk into a shop, it is very likely that their cell phone ID has been recorded and tracked for marketing purposes. The TraceTogether app uses the same principals but, instead of collecting cell phone ID when it enters a shop, it collects cell phone ID proximity that is only accessed when the phone ID has been close to the phone ID of a sick person.

Digital tracing may seem like "big brother is watching" even though it's nothing more than the more reliable digital version of asking people who they were near. Furthermore, chances are that most people have already agreed to cell phone ID tracking with one or another cell phone download. The difference here is that governments are spelling out how it is used, whereas other apps bury it in consent to use an app.

It says right there the death count maybe delayed. Those numbers are apparently several weeks behind, which is why they are lower. Not because anything has been downgraded.
I don't think I said in my post that anything had been downgraded and I understood the delay. The last date in there was 4/25 and it is explained in the note in the table.

NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. The United States population, based on 2018 postcensal estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, is 327,167,434.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death.

1Deaths with confirmed or presumed COVID-19, coded to ICD–10 code U07.1

2Percent of expected deaths is the number of deaths for all causes for this week in 2020 compared to the average number across the same week in 2017–2019. Previous analyses of 2015–2016 provisional data completeness have found that completeness is lower in the first few weeks following the date of death (<25%), and then increases over time such that data are generally at least 75% complete within 8 weeks of when the death occurred (8).

3Pneumonia death counts exclude pneumonia deaths involving influenza.

4Influenza death counts include deaths with pneumonia or COVID-19 also listed as a cause of death.

5Deaths with confirmed or presumed COVID-19, pneumonia, or influenza, coded to ICD–10 codes U07.1 or J09–J18.9.

It seems so 20th C for human contact tracers to interview and track down contacts of infected people when TraceTogether apps provide instant data. I í that some people view digital tracing as a violation of personal rights. However, regardless of whether the information is obtained through conversation or bluetooth digital data, the result is the same. Time and location is revealed for the benefit of the person who is traced.

Most people don't realize that every time they walk into a shop, it is very likely that their cell phone ID has been recorded and tracked for marketing purposes. The TraceTogether app uses the same principals but, instead of collecting cell phone ID when it enters a shop, it collects cell phone ID proximity that is only accessed when the phone ID has been close to the phone ID of a sick person.

Digital tracing may seem like "big brother is watching" even though it's nothing more than the more reliable digital version of asking people who they were near. Furthermore, chances are that most people have already agreed to cell phone ID tracking with one or another cell phone download. The difference here

They are going to trial this in the UK on the Isle of Wight apparently. Here are a couple of links. First one is about the IOW and the second link is a local news article about the trial.

10 things you can't do on the Isle of Wight

CONTACT TRACING APP TO BE TRIALED ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT WITHIN DAYS - Island Echo - 24hr news, 7 days a week across the Isle of Wight

One benefit could be that IOW come out of lockdown before anyone else.

The US just reported its deadliest day for coronavirus patients as states reopen, according to WHO

The United States just had its deadliest day on record due to the coronavirus as states across the country begin to ease restrictions meant to curb the spread of the virus, according to data published by the World Health Organization.

The U.S. saw 2,909 people die of Covid-19 in 24 hours, according to the data, which was collected as of 4 a.m. ET on Friday. That’s the highest daily Covid-19 death toll in the U.S. yet, based on a CNBC analysis of the WHO’s daily Covid-19 situation reports.

Before May 1, the next highest U.S. daily death toll was 2,471 reported on April 23
Somehow I missed your post about this highest daily figure. I am so sorry for this. I had hoped the US had peaked.

O/T but sort of on topic. Do you think the NFL fans will actually go to the stadiums to watch football???? Those stadiums can hold 100,000 people. Way too many people for me.

My state is still increasing in virus cases and deaths. We are under a safer at home right now but you sure cannot tell it by the local traffic.

The vast, overwhelming majority of churches immediately complied with all government closure orders.

What more do you want (within the bounds of a free society)?

Sure, churches may voluntarily choose to do that. The keyword is "voluntary".

In the end, there are some things that are just not ordered in free societies- even with Covid. Ordering churches to provide names of attendees or ordering them to provide photographs of attendees are some of these things.

It's sad when even Saudi Arabia closed down Mecca in February, yet we have some churches who don't. However, this is something you can't enforce effectively in a free society.

I live a little less than a mile from the ocean......... and never before have I seen the egrets land on our property in my neighborhood. Not sure why they are feeling it safe and or necessary... but they are a beautiful sweep of bright white walking and stalking across my yard.....

The egrets started doing that a few years ago, here. Now, they are completely emboldened, crossing the streets at leisure and hovering like vultures over restaurant trash cans. Oh...and they are getting fat.

Somehow I missed your post about this highest daily figure. I am so sorry for this. I had hoped the US had peaked.

I believe we have peaked. Many sources is show this. Worldometers.com shows that we are slightly past the peak.

upload_2020-5-3_13-1-7.png

I would guess that the WHO has a different data collection cycle and may have undercounted one day then corrected with a high number. Or possibly reclassified previous deaths as COVID-19 related.

NYS has had almost 40% of U.S. deaths and is well past it's peak, which occurred 3.5 weeks ago.

It's sad when even Saudi Arabia closed down Mecca in February, yet we have some churches who don't. However, this is something you can't enforce effectively in a free society.

Well said.

In the end, elected leaders of a free society must accept that there are limitations on what can be enforced, and what cannot be enforced in a free society.

Ordering churches to prepare lists of attendees and to turn over those lists when requested is probably one of those things that cannot be effectively enforced.

As for non complying churches, though it is sad that some refused their duty described by Saint Paul the vast majority immediately complied with closure orders.

Last edited:
Prepping for May...

My current preps involved getting a deep freezer- no easy task as they are super hard to find. I also wanted an apartment size one because its just me here.

My first order at Amazon was cancelled, but I persisted and checked multiple times a day and voila...finally got a highly rated apt. size front opening one delivered 3 days after ordering!! Really happy now and its hooked up and so quiet - no dents, no issues.

I have also started using Instacart. Don't know why I never did before?? I would do a grocery pickup or farmstand pickup or farm delivery, but never Instacart. Am thrilled to say I used it last week, got my order in less than 2 hours and from my favorite store ALDI...I almost cried when i got my favorite items again....(I run a huge ALDI facebook group-64k and to say I missed the store is a huge understatement!) Having to go to other stores that do pickup (Aldi does not) was just not cutting it for me....grateful for Instacart!

I also went back to meal planning as figuring it all out willy-nilly was getting me nowhere here. Wasting food, or not knowing what to make, etc. So I have two weeks planned already.

Many folks in my area making face masks. I have done a bunch of "porch pickups" of various styles for my family and mailed them to them...such as an AirForce fabric for my father who is pretty stubborn, but I know his Dr visits and all the bases require masks....Va Tech ones for my brothers who all went there and nephews going now...Dallas Cowboys for one of my sister's who is a huge fan...etc. This is in hopes to encourage them to wear them of course.

Now, what are you all doing??

It seems so 20th C for human contact tracers to interview and track down contacts of infected people when TraceTogether apps provide instant data. I realize that some people view digital tracing as a violation of personal rights. However, regardless of whether the information is obtained through conversation or bluetooth digital data, the result is the same. Time and location is revealed for the benefit of the person who is traced.

Digital tracing may seem like "big brother is watching" even though it's nothing more than the more reliable digital version of asking people who they were near. Furthermore, chances are that most people have already agreed to cell phone ID tracking with one or another cell phone download. The difference here is that governments are spelling out how it is used, whereas other apps bury it in consent to use an app.
Hi, otto......Note to self - Leave phone at home when going out in the future. .......moo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member